Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 206984 times)

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
Can any of the true wood connoisseurs in here enlighten me on what's good within the smaller woodshops? Seems like BBS is the gold standard but I have to imagine there are other small shops out there doing it even better. I have an Active shop deck that I believe is Anno Domini (Colorado) and it really feels excellent, especially considering it was $21.
Did you have any issues trying to get the screws through the truck holes? Cuz my homie and I got a couple of AD bloards and we both had to bore slightly bigger holes just to set it up.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
has anyone seen a pennswood pressed primitive board? or was that just a load of shit
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a few confirmations
Magenta is "mainly" BBS
(they made some boards with quarterdist because of shortage / being overtaken in the queue last year though)

Evisen is Dwindle (just received last drop, boards come with the same sticker you find on the side of dwindle completes / Dsm-Made in China Green Sticker)

Studio is Control
(just received last drop, made in canada sticker as always)
[close]

Thanks!

I recall seeing (and probably posting) info about Quarter Distribution before, but having another look, they look like decent concaves and shapes too.

Apart from that, I guess I know nothing about them, besides being in Berlin, Germany.

Just one of many of their posts about their boards.

And another cause they do big shapes as well.

[close]

How many of these do you think are just 2Hex remixed? 2Hex is obviously just a middle man between Brand X and some unknown factories and will have your stuff made on your behalf, but don't actually do it themselves.
[close]

2hex isnt a middleman, they actually produce what they sell. They're basically your modern VC model but applied to skating gear (guessing theres some rich European kids involved here) - they either possessed or raised enough capital to buy/lease a factory in china and are now expanding into all aspects of cheap chinese skate gear production including ugly trucks and wheels. I think of them as a super generic dwindle or something.

Basically its just all the stuff you'd normally have to go through ali-express to find but with a nice user interface and automated process. You can order 10000 boards without ever talking to a person and thats appealing to some people these days.

Their insta has a lot of information behind the scenes and they're pretty easy to contact. I'd be amazed if they aren't lurking on here too.

Never had one of their boards so i cant say if they're any good but if someone stateside has one they want to sell hit me up. They certainly look like they're doing things right and we've seen that the quality of the product coming from china has massively improved in the past few years. The guys in charge definitely skate so that always makes me hopeful.
[close]

Quarter Dist is like 30 minutes away from me. Nice peeps and the quality is good of the decks no doubt. Just something about the shapes I tried felt a bit off. (too much fingers of flat, too flat between the kicks) But that is just me personally and a lot of people enjoy their decks and don't have the madness.
[close]

Are they actually pressing their decks though or just distributing them? If it's the latter there's a good chance they're coming from China. It's a pretty common business model over here to import a mass of blanks, store them, and then print and apply heat transfers on demand. Dunno how common or feasible it is in Europe though. Chapman does it with clutch blanks but I would assume it's a lot cheaper and easier to import from China for euros.

You know what their insta says: "100% Canadian Hardrock Maple and super strong Epoxy Glue." If I had molds to mass produce decks, that's all I would post on my website.
This leads me to the assumption, that they only apply the heat transfers there and get their decks from somewhere else. But I can't confirm that, because they didn't let me too deep inside the building.
IG: @flowterspace

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a few confirmations
Magenta is "mainly" BBS
(they made some boards with quarterdist because of shortage / being overtaken in the queue last year though)

Evisen is Dwindle (just received last drop, boards come with the same sticker you find on the side of dwindle completes / Dsm-Made in China Green Sticker)

Studio is Control
[close]

Thanks!

I recall seeing (and probably posting) info about Quarter Distribution before, but having another look, they look like decent concaves and shapes too.

Apart from that, I guess I know nothing about them, besides being in Berlin, Germany.

[close]

How many of these do you think are just 2Hex remixed? 2Hex is obviously just a middle man between Brand X and some unknown factories and will have your stuff made on your behalf, but don't actually do it themselves.
[close]

2hex isnt a middleman, they actually produce what they sell. They're basically your modern VC model but applied to skating gear (guessing theres some rich European kids involved here) - they either possessed or raised enough capital to buy/lease a factory in china and are now expanding into all aspects of cheap chinese skate gear production including ugly trucks and wheels. I think of them as a super generic dwindle or something.

Basically its just all the stuff you'd normally have to go through ali-express to find but with a nice user interface and automated process. You can order 10000 boards without ever talking to a person and thats appealing to some people these days.

Their insta has a lot of information behind the scenes and they're pretty easy to contact. I'd be amazed if they aren't lurking on here too.

Never had one of their boards so i cant say if they're any good but if someone stateside has one they want to sell hit me up. They certainly look like they're doing things right and we've seen that the quality of the product coming from china has massively improved in the past few years. The guys in charge definitely skate so that always makes me hopeful.
[close]

Quarter Dist is like 30 minutes away from me. Nice peeps and the quality is good of the decks no doubt. Just something about the shapes I tried felt a bit off. (too much fingers of flat, too flat between the kicks) But that is just me personally and a lot of people enjoy their decks and don't have the madness.
[close]

Are they actually pressing their decks though or just distributing them? If it's the latter there's a good chance they're coming from China. It's a pretty common business model over here to import a mass of blanks, store them, and then print and apply heat transfers on demand. Dunno how common or feasible it is in Europe though. Chapman does it with clutch blanks but I would assume it's a lot cheaper and easier to import from China for euros.
[close]

You know what their insta says: "100% Canadian Hardrock Maple and super strong Epoxy Glue." If I had molds to mass produce decks, that's all I would post on my website.
This leads me to the assumption, that they only apply the heat transfers there and get their decks from somewhere else. But I can't confirm that, because they didn't let me too deep inside the building.
The more knowledgeable can correct me, but to me references to ”epoxy glue” seem to always imply Chinese made decks.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 969
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
The homie want to come back on a shapes board.

I want him not to buy a Chinese hunk of shit. He had his finger on the trigger on some bullshit reissue

We want to support Punks if possible.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
The more knowledgeable can correct me, but to me references to ”epoxy glue” seem to always imply Chinese made decks.

From looking around there is no indication they press anything, so I am going to assume it is like a local distributor here in Australia, who buy in bulk blanks and always do the heat transfer thing.  That is why I put them in the lower list under this heading on the first page, second post.

Most of those boards come from Jeeping Wooden Industrial which is one of three major woodshops in China, the factories under the names of Excel, Jeeping or Dalian Hauhong.

Manufacturers / Woodshops that DO NOT make their own boards but resell others list:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.msg3525937#msg3525937

* Note: I can always change the listing if someone says otherwise.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
has anyone seen a pennswood pressed primitive board? or was that just a load of shit

So one shop guy did say a Primitive rider said they were a page back.

A few more pages back someone posted three Primitive boards, one BBS / Made in Mexico, one made in China and one made in USA, so given there are not that many woodshops in the USA, it could very well be that or someone else like AD.

Whatever the case, it seemed like he was not too happy with his USA made Primitive board.

Link to the pics here for you:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.msg3667697#msg3667697

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
3 Primtive 8.25s from recent drops
All decks are the same shape but made at 3 different woodshops, one China (?), one Mexico (BBS), one USA (?)
I usually love the bbs primitive decks but pretty disappointed they are using cheaper woodshops now. A homie skated one of the "made in USA" P-Rod decks and it broke within a few hours. Any idea what woodshop the China and USA decks are coming from? Thanks

On second thought, it was just easier to bring it up again and ask.

Any thoughts on your different boards, if you skated them or any other info you can share?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
3 Primtive 8.25s from recent drops
All decks are the same shape but made at 3 different woodshops, one China (?), one Mexico (BBS), one USA (?)
I usually love the bbs primitive decks but pretty disappointed they are using cheaper woodshops now. A homie skated one of the "made in USA" P-Rod decks and it broke within a few hours. Any idea what woodshop the China and USA decks are coming from? Thanks

[close]

On second thought, it was just easier to bring it up again and ask.

Any thoughts on your different boards, if you skated them or any other info you can share?

When I add the specs from these stickers I get 31.75 length.
6.7 tail + 2.125 mounting holes + 14 wb + 2.125 mounting holes + 6.8 nose = 31.75
Is there something I am missing?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
The homie want to come back on a shapes board.

I want him not to buy a Chinese hunk of shit. He had his finger on the trigger on some bullshit reissue

We want to support Punks if possible.

I don't know how easy (or maybe very hard) to get hold of but there have been some pretty cool things in the 9"+ thread that I would think have punk roots, or at least way more so than many of the modern reissues from Powell, Santa Cruz, or other associated brands.

Even a shaped blank / shop board from somewhere with a stencil spray job graphic would be more fun than most of those reissues to me.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97297.4230

Also just thinking about Black Label (pretty decent brand, good wood, good shapes) with riders like Jason Adams.

https://blacklabelskates.bigcartel.com/

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
sooooo my mate wants to buy a DGK board and asked me about woodshops as the resident gear nerd of our circle. I looked on here and it says BBS but i'm looking at the image in this link and i'm not convinced..

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0020/1628/0646/products/dgk-deck-dgk-8-25-boo-rolling-papers-skateboard-deck-white-28292934860870_960x960_crop_center.jpg?v=1628043067

Is that a little indent punched between the front truck holes?
Would that indicate it's made in a Chinese factory?
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
sooooo my mate wants to buy a DGK board and asked me about woodshops as the resident gear nerd of our circle. I looked on here and it says BBS but i'm looking at the image in this link and i'm not convinced..

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0020/1628/0646/products/dgk-deck-dgk-8-25-boo-rolling-papers-skateboard-deck-white-28292934860870_960x960_crop_center.jpg?v=1628043067

Totally still BBS and that wider rounded punched mark is standard to all BBS boards, even the DLX ones that have the I to IV on them too.

Many of the other woodshops do have some sort of mark on them, which is the best indicator of front or back, but the most common one I have seen is a much smaller almost nail like mark in the boards, more so than a wider rounded punched mark as per the usual BBS boards.

Never hurts to check or ask though, especially with so many changes and things going on.

The only boards from DGK that are not from BBS are the budget completes, which are pretty much the same across most brands now, with the pro wood being of one quality and the budget completes almost all being cheap wood and parts from China.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Actually from looking at a few DLX decks I have right here now, they only have the I to IV stamp and no dot.

The older DLX boards and even some new ones still have only the dot, as do a few other brands here, including Baker, DGK, Element (which also have the laser info over the dot area) along with two others I know are BBS that don't have anything on the tops.

Most of the still sealed in shrink decks have the dot under the warning sticker, so it is often not noticed until you take off the shrink and sticker, which I always do before gripping.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1932
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.

These looks like legit DGK decks, there was a batch in late 2019 / early 2020 with past season graphics circulating on Aliexpress, but those have died down almost completely.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
Expand Quote

[close]

These looks like legit DGK decks, there was a batch in late 2019 / early 2020 with past season graphics circulating on Aliexpress, but those have died down almost completely.

DGK does Chinese decks too. The safe bet with DGK is to get a pro model graphic and not logo graphic. If you buy in person just check for the made in Mexico sticker.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
Awesome, thanks @Woodshop, @rocklobster and @TwisT for the replies.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

DGK does Chinese decks too. The safe bet with DGK is to get a pro model graphic and not logo graphic. If you buy in person just check for the made in Mexico sticker.

That's interesting.

Was it just during the pandemic shortages, or before then?  (or after?)

I had thought DGK put out something (maybe just to shops and distro accounts) saying the only boards not from BBS were the budget completes from China, or something to that effect.

The team boards and pro boards were all the normal BBS top quality, with the pricepoint decks being the cheaper BBS wood, same as the DLX boards, often single top and bottom stains, or even just all natural in one run, but still with the same warning stickers.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
Expand Quote

[close]

That's interesting.

Was it just during the pandemic shortages, or before then?  (or after?)

I had thought DGK put out something (maybe just to shops and distro accounts) saying the only boards not from BBS were the budget completes from China, or something to that effect.

The team boards and pro boards were all the normal BBS top quality, with the pricepoint decks being the cheaper BBS wood, same as the DLX boards, often single top and bottom stains, or even just all natural in one run, but still with the same warning stickers.

I specifically remember the DGK "Garden" logo deck having a china sticker, when I bought an uncle marcus deck from the shop earlier this year. Now it's possible that logo deck could have been from an older batch. My local sells a lot of DGK product.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 06:43:32 AM by TwisT »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

As per the 9"+ thread:

Chico Stix has some more boards going up.

https://www.chicostix.com

This is a screen shot of the new boards, yet to be released, but as there are very limited numbers, so might sell out quickly.

I also noticed in the info area it had "epoxy resin glue" which others have said before is usually an indicator the boards are from China, so I am curious if anyone has seen or skated these ones.

https://www.chicostix.com/products/chico-stix-skateboard-2x4-logo

Chico Stix Popsicle Skateboard Logo

100% North American 7-ply Maple with Epoxy Resin Glue, Mellow Concave, Strong Pop.

Available in 4 different sizes, assorted top and bottom color veneer.

7.75" x 31.125" x 13.875"

8" x 31.6 x 14"

8.25" x 31.9" x 14.25"

8.5" x 32" x 14.5"

FrozenIndustries

As per the 9"+ thread:

Chico Stix has some more boards going up.

https://www.chicostix.com

This is a screen shot of the new boards, yet to be released, but as there are very limited numbers, so might sell out quickly.

I also noticed in the info area it had "epoxy resin glue" which others have said before is usually an indicator the boards are from China, so I am curious if anyone has seen or skated these ones.

https://www.chicostix.com/products/chico-stix-skateboard-2x4-logo

Chico Stix Popsicle Skateboard Logo

100% North American 7-ply Maple with Epoxy Resin Glue, Mellow Concave, Strong Pop.

Available in 4 different sizes, assorted top and bottom color veneer.

7.75" x 31.125" x 13.875"

8" x 31.6 x 14"

8.25" x 31.9" x 14.25"

8.5" x 32" x 14.5"

Someone posted one in another thread (an 8") and the shape and dimensions are bang on with an 8" Enjoi Louie board I have in the stack.

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
Anybody know what woodshop Limosine uses? Tempted to get the Max Palmer 8.25 but couldn’t find the woodshop and hoping it’s BBS.

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
Anybody know what woodshop Limosine uses? Tempted to get the Max Palmer 8.25 but couldn’t find the woodshop and hoping it’s BBS.

In a recent interview which was posted somewhere on here, Cyrus says it's BBS.

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks! 14.13 WB 8.25 on BBS is what I’ve been riding (Polar) so definitely going to support Max and scoop up that one.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a few confirmations
Magenta is "mainly" BBS

Studio is Control
[close]

Thanks!

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That was true for a long time but actually HLC does epoxy decks as well so it would actually not be out of line for a European distro to get their boards from there. I'd need to see one in person to really get a better idea. The HLC molds are pretty generic unfortunately so can't really scope anything from pics.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks! 14.13 WB 8.25 on BBS is what I’ve been riding (Polar) so definitely going to support Max and scoop up that one.

If I’m remembering correctly, the Polar 8.25s are mislabeled and are actually a 14.3 WB. Not sure how much that matters, but heads up.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Expand Quote
[close]

Interesting to see another one on BBS, as well as board specs on their site too.

https://limosineskateboards.com/

Available in:

8.25" x 31.82"
14.13" Wheelbase

8.38" x 31.89"
14.20" Wheelbase

8.5" x 32.0"
14.3 Wheelbase

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

If I’m remembering correctly, the Polar 8.25s are mislabeled and are actually a 14.3 WB. Not sure how much that matters, but heads up.

Yeah, that is true. Polar 8.25s have a 14.3 wheelbase

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

From the setup thread:

Long time lurker first time poster. Figured it should be in the setup thread.

Lost Soul Yuh Yanagimachi - 8.0, 14" WB (Pennswood pressed)
Venture Lo 5.2s
OJ Nomads 53mm
Quantum Bearings Isotopes
Shorty's Silverado 1" Allen
Shorty's Blackmagic grip

Another one I have never heard of before, but also not on the Woodshop list yet.

Lost Soul made by Pennswood

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Also speaking of Pennswood, there are a few new Instagram posts with some pretty amazing looking boards:

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
how those are never for sale on their website is beyond me
just take my money already
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo