Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 210892 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 +
« Reply #510 on: August 09, 2021, 11:00:32 PM »
@pennswood
when are you doing the next run for literally any brand? favorite wood of all time, need to re up before these scumcos die out
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #511 on: August 10, 2021, 01:59:25 AM »
Another post with some interesting information:

Board dimensions are a funny thing.

Here are four different brands, all from the same woodshop, all of which those companies list different lengths for their 8.5 wide standard shaped decks, but all are actually the exact same size and dimensions overall. Note the wheelbase is listed the same too, at 14.5 for all.

I have also included an older Baker deck beside the newer one (Baker RVCA colab), just for reference, but they are said to be 8.5 x 32, then the Black Label is said to be 8.5 x 32.38, the Element is 8.5 x 32.7 and the Generator (shop brand) deck is listed as 8.5 x 32.5 from their site.

All are actually 8.5 x 32.7 if the tape measure is held against the concave right through, or closer to 32.25 if kept tight from end to end, with a nose at about 7.2 and tail at about 6.7 but that is just rough measurements really.

The dimensions shown on the Element deck are the most accurate, but I know some companies / places prefer to measure straight across, not with the concave, which will always give a different length.

Other decks from different companies, regardless of woodshop, often have inconsistencies, which is why I find it so interesting to have a number of the same boards from various places to measure and compare, all of these being the same, as I have multiples of each.

There are ever so slight differences in concave too, but for the most part, they all are approximately the same, some slightly steeper and some slightly more mellow than others, depending on where they were in the press, being four at a time in this particular woodshop, the top being the steepest down to the fourth deck having the least concave. It can be fairly significant, as per an older post I put up.

The last pic is just an added one with a few other brands which also use the same woodshop, but I didn't have the exact same size boards from those brands to add, even though the Birdhouse and Antihero both are 14.5 wheelbase, they are listed as 8.38 wide and 32.25 long, which come in just under the length of the other ones.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 658
« Reply #512 on: August 10, 2021, 05:50:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i'm looking at an 8.5 Scumco.  its the ty beall broadcast deck, but i cant find the length and wheelbase.  can anyone help me out there?  thanks pals
[close]

Looking around and this came up between a few places

From a shop site for that exact deck:

Width: 8.5".
Length: 31.5".
Wheelbase: 14".

One other place, from that exact deck also Width: 8.5″. Length: 31.5″. Wheelbase: 14″.

From @off in another thread general sizes scumco 8.5/31.75/14.0
[close]

dude, awesome thank you very much.  just purchased the deck bc of your post!
[close]
Be sure to report back and let us know if that's accurate, because if so I want one too.
[close]

got her today!!  def a true 8.5, length is a hair over 31.5 and th wheelbase for me is actually coming in at like 13.9
Oh man that's perfect!  I know since they had been bouncing around to different woodshops you couldn't always count on the listed measurements but sounds like you got a winner.

Get hungry on it!

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #513 on: August 10, 2021, 08:13:51 AM »
very very hyped, if i can find more decks with these dimensions i would load up.  being a venture rider, this is a real treat imo

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #514 on: August 10, 2021, 06:28:43 PM »
I like the cut of PS Stix decks (wide tail/nose) but the reviews here are pretty poor.

All my recent boards have been BBS and they keep their pop seemingly forever.

Are their any BBS decks with meatier tails?

For instance, Anti-hero boards seem to taper in the tail.

Any recommendations for BBS made brands that have wider tails? In the 8.6-8.8 range. Thanks.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #515 on: August 10, 2021, 09:31:23 PM »
I like the cut of PS Stix decks (wide tail/nose) but the reviews here are pretty poor.

All my recent boards have been BBS and they keep their pop seemingly forever.

Are their any BBS decks with meatier tails?

For instance, Anti-hero boards seem to taper in the tail.

Any recommendations for BBS made brands that have wider tails? In the 8.6-8.8 range. Thanks.

The first boards that I would say are the DLX Full shape, but the only one recently was the 8.5 Full SE from Real (2 graphics) and unless you stocked up on the older ones, there seem to be minimal to zero supplies of those, only a few coming out every so often now and even less in bigger sizes, eg the Grosso 8.75 Full shape from a drop a year or two ago, which I have and it is a beast.

Thinking about others from BBS, the FA / Hockey boards are the first ones that come to mind with wide / full shapes that are still readily available, even some in bigger sizes too.  They are pretty steep concave though.

https://faworldentertainment.com/products/vandals-blue?_pos=1&_sid=9154f0356

8.75" x 32.60"  and 14.5" Wheelbase.

Some Alien Workshop decks seemed to be quite solid in the kicks too, not tapered at all or at least have a bit more in the bigger sizes, so that might be worth checking as well.

https://www.alienworkshop.com/collections/decks/products/spectrum-7-25-8-75

8.75 X 32.25 WB 14.25

I guess too compared to straight popsicles, there are various BBS wood brands that have shaped boards that have wider / squarer kicks, such as Polar, Uma, ATM, Scram, if I recall correctly, but I know some people are not at all keen on shaped boards.

Even the Antihero Bue Meanie 8.75 has a decent tail on the one I have, and the shape is not too weird to skate as a normal board either.

As for thoughts on PS Stix, everyone will have their own opinion on what they prefer, but I think I have heard similar personal problems from ALL the woodshops over the years, especially more recently with things seemingly rushed in getting boards back out to the market now.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #516 on: August 11, 2021, 07:25:48 AM »
Thanks @Woodshop

I have been leaning towards an Alien as I really like their cut.

I don’t flip my board anymore so I wonder if I won’t have the same issues with sogginess after 5 sessions on the PS Stix wood?

I found a BA full 8.75 at a shop in FL but they reserve boards for in store purchases due to board shortages.

It’s interesting to me that PS Stix was the number one North American brand 20 years ago and now they are ranked here behind BBS and South Central.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
  • <3
« Reply #517 on: August 11, 2021, 04:53:35 PM »
Is skate mental clutch? Think I heard Plunkett said they are. The Jake Anderson dims look tempting 8.6 X 32.2. slightly too long but has a short wheelbase
The chillest1

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #518 on: August 12, 2021, 04:34:26 AM »
Is skate mental clutch? Think I heard Plunkett said they are. The Jake Anderson dims look tempting 8.6 X 32.2. slightly too long but has a short wheelbase

Yes that was the more recent change noted for Skate Mental, though I have not seen any in person, the top pics show the boards have the same stamp and round sticker that Clutch use from SW.

Also interesting to note that the Plunkett deck is also 8.625 x 32.25 but it has 14.5 wheelbase (as I saw on a few shop sites) but the Anderson of the same other dimensions with only 14.25 wb so that might be something to check.

I noticed a couple of the 8.5 decks were different, one in the squared off shape and shorter, the other in the longer more tapered shape, so that could be the thing for those two 8.625 as well being different shapes / sizes, or it could be an error in the listing.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #519 on: August 13, 2021, 09:30:56 PM »

Updated the main brand woodshop lists.

Also added the year established to the woodshops info list, eg. (est 1999)

Also changed the woodshop list for a couple of major brands that might be of interest to some people.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 05:58:47 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #520 on: August 13, 2021, 09:31:18 PM »

Doing some more research and came across a tour of the PS Stix factory from 2007, so although it is fairly old, it was mentioned that they do FIVE decks at a time here.

https://skateparkoftampa.com/article/785/Paul_Schmitt's_Skateboard_Deck_Factory,_PS_Stix

The comment:

You know the plies of your skateboard deck? Well, this machine is a press that glues the separate plies together. They do five boards at a time, so that's why sometimes you get the same exact board with a little more or little less concave

Other places like BBS do FOUR at a time (top the steepest concave and bottom the most mellow concave), while many others (especially in China) are geared up to do ONE at a time, but they have presses that hold about eight to ten decks in each, so each individual deck is identical.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #521 on: August 13, 2021, 09:34:44 PM »

Also I find it curious that some manufacturers press boards on their back too.

I wonder if there is any difference in the pressing process or it all works the same no matter which way they operate.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #522 on: August 16, 2021, 04:37:24 AM »
am I being a bit neurotic or are BBS decks a bit shitty atm? For me personally I'll average a deck a month, they're usually still skatable after that point but it's always nice to have a new one. Since March I've skated a Theories, Sour, shop deck, a blank and now a Passport. Sour held up great and my friends skating that now, the blank was pretty decent too and I passed that on, shop deck was shite. Both the Theories and Passport decks cracked, I think I got about 8 sessions out of the Theories deck and about the same from the Passport which also chipped pretty quick (skated it for maybe 2/3 weeks?) - I'm a pretty light guy at 140 and I'm not jumping down stuff, so I'm wondering if maybe BBS are still playing covid catchup or something? I've skated a lot of BBS boards in the past and had a good run with them, but the last few I've had haven't been too great.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #523 on: August 16, 2021, 05:22:52 AM »
am I being a bit neurotic or are BBS decks a bit shitty atm? For me personally I'll average a deck a month, they're usually still skatable after that point but it's always nice to have a new one. Since March I've skated a Theories, Sour, shop deck, a blank and now a Passport. Sour held up great and my friends skating that now, the blank was pretty decent too and I passed that on, shop deck was shite. Both the Theories and Passport decks cracked, I think I got about 8 sessions out of the Theories deck and about the same from the Passport which also chipped pretty quick (skated it for maybe 2/3 weeks?) - I'm a pretty light guy at 140 and I'm not jumping down stuff, so I'm wondering if maybe BBS are still playing covid catchup or something? I've skated a lot of BBS boards in the past and had a good run with them, but the last few I've had haven't been too great.

I’m on a baker now. But most the BBS I’ve had lately isn’t hitting the same like somethings off.  Krooked anti hero and a different baker I had sucked and splintered and chipped easy. My buddies real he skated then gave away. But I had a habitat and an few Umas and they both felt fine and a hockey. I got a AWS and I’m hoping it’s good but the current baker doing fine so I’m waiting til it’s toast

ish_wav

• Rep: 101
« Reply #524 on: August 16, 2021, 01:30:51 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what’s the deal
With DOA? Been hearing a lot about them. Anyone know the wheelbase on the flat as fuck 8.25 as well as wood shop?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #525 on: August 16, 2021, 04:13:48 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what’s the deal
With DOA? Been hearing a lot about them. Anyone know the wheelbase on the flat as fuck 8.25 as well as wood shop?

The name in searches often doesn't come up, given people put dots between the letters, vs no gaps or the full name as below:

D.O.A. (DOA or Dead on Arrival) is on South Central wood.

Web store:  https://doany.bigcartel.com/

https://www.instagram.com/dead_on_arrival_/

There is quite a bit of info from BFRD on these boards in older woodshop threads, eg this one:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108595.msg3451576#msg3451576

Also just found this thread and post, so @Fletschinger is the owner.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I see havran around sometimes since he's a local. Don't really know him though but he rips hard. What exactly is DOA?
[close]

It's Steve Fletch, formerly of Northern Co., who left a couple of years back to do his own solo thing.

https://www.instagram.com/dead_on_arrival_/
[close]

Heard he’s amongst us here on slap.
[close]

I check in from time to time.  I usually don't have much to comment since most is already said.  DOA is just my way of reliving my youth in skating, etc.... most won't understand it, but when someone does it's pretty cool.  sorry to be a kook and bump a post for my own promo, just realized that's what I'm doing now.  oops.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #526 on: August 16, 2021, 08:25:51 PM »
I almost forgot this as well, when I went looking, which is pretty amazing to have a sticker like that.

DOA Silencer Deck 8.25”
31 3/4” Length

14.25” WB

6 7/8” Nose

6 5/8” Tail

Initially found it via google, but then found the actual shop - Relief Skate Supply.

https://reliefskatesupply.com/collections/decks/products/doa-hebert-brown-sheen-deck-8-25

Normal concave, but I recall someone else saying they were the same wheelbase.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 08:34:59 PM by Woodshop »

Loki700

• Rep: 78
« Reply #527 on: August 19, 2021, 06:35:40 PM »
Sticks & Stones are made in Alabama, no idea what wood shop though.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #528 on: August 19, 2021, 07:49:46 PM »
The ATM i just bought two weeks ago is Clutch/ASF. It’s the squared off shape ( V shape?) and had the round size sticker. I know ATM transfers their own graphics and I think they just get runs of blanks from ASF.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #529 on: August 19, 2021, 11:10:54 PM »
alabama only has south central correct?

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #530 on: August 20, 2021, 12:26:30 AM »
I set up an Uma board yesterday. The Fark Deck 8.25.
It had a made in china sticker on it.
On the nose between the bolts there are all the measurements stamped on.
Honestly I like the feel of the wood way more than the Polar deck I had before.
Now I see Uma is on bbs now. Are they exclusively on bbs now ? What woodshop from china made there decks before ?
Im in Europe btw. Maye they haf a different shop for the euro marked.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1988
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #531 on: August 20, 2021, 12:33:00 AM »
Now I see Uma is on bbs now. Are they exclusively on bbs now ? What woodshop from china made there decks before ?

I doubt Uma is big enough to do separate productions for NA or EU, do you have a pic of the Made in China Sticker?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #532 on: August 20, 2021, 03:12:52 AM »
The ATM i just bought two weeks ago is Clutch/ASF. It’s the squared off shape ( V shape?) and had the round size sticker. I know ATM transfers their own graphics and I think they just get runs of blanks from ASF.

This is the sort of thing that distributors do as well.  Getting the licensed brand graphics and putting them on whatever wood you have.  Not saying this is an issue, so much as it is just part of the skateboard industry that often causes confusion and some issues when people or even the company says what woodshop they use (in the USA), compared to what a mid to small distributor from a different continent uses for the same brand.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 06:44:16 AM by Woodshop »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #533 on: August 20, 2021, 03:23:59 AM »

Uma was always on BBS as far as I knew, as per the boards from the first runs I was able to see and stand on.

This would mean that they either outsourced the supply of the European distribution to a different woodshop, or licensed the brand to the local distro, (as per last post with a distro in a small European country doing their own heat transfers for brands on unknown boards).

Being made in China, it might be rather difficult to find out which woodshop they are using, but any other info would help, such as which country, which shop, pics of board or stickers, etc.

Of course it could also mean that the next drop could all be from China, so someone from Mesa Dist could help with this too.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 06:47:47 AM by Woodshop »

vicious cycle

« Reply #534 on: August 20, 2021, 05:15:03 AM »
I'm from germany. The Board is griped already so I can't take a photo of the stamps.
It's from a german distribution called 24/7 Distribution.
When I look at that page now, the pic of the board is different (the stamps look different)
Mine looks like this. The stamps has all measurements on there, length, width, wheelbase, nose, tail.
That little sticker on the backbolts says made in China
https://www.soohotrightnow.com/app/uploads/20210531-decks-002.jpg
Gonna take a pic of the sticker when I'm home. It's somewhere in the trash.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 05:22:10 AM by vicious cycle »

Loki700

• Rep: 78
« Reply #535 on: August 20, 2021, 05:43:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
alabama only has south central correct?
As far as I know.  However I just found out about Regulator Distribution that makes Beer City decks here in Milwaukee supposedly.  Could be another small woodshop?

Looking at S&S’s page, they appear to be in New York, so South Central is most likely.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #536 on: August 20, 2021, 07:01:43 AM »
I'm from germany. The Board is griped already so I can't take a photo of the stamps.
It's from a german distribution called 24/7 Distribution.
When I look at that page now, the pic of the board is different (the stamps look different)
Mine looks like this. The stamps has all measurements on there, length, width, wheelbase, nose, tail.
That little sticker on the backbolts says made in China
https://www.soohotrightnow.com/app/uploads/20210531-decks-002.jpg
Gonna take a pic of the sticker when I'm home. It's somewhere in the trash.

Not a worry, re the top of the board if it is already gripped.

This is from page 12 with one I saw, which I would have said was BBS.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.msg3591468#msg3591468

I see what you mean with the stamps being different, as per those boards in the shop with an additional line I cannot make out under the dimensions - was it a manufacturing number?

Compared to this one, similar to the ones I have seen:

https://www.247dist.com/product-images/rueckenansicht_list_upright_zoom/UMA-Landsleds/Decks/Fark_26619707580000019.jpg

The usual BBS boards for some brands have all the info on them (Element in particular), but not as many other boards, but that one had the Uma triangle, the length, width and wheelbase.

***  Also I have to say I am loving the fact that the shop puts up front and back pics of every  deck I have checked on their shop site - not too many have so much detail like that, which is nice!

https://www.soohotrightnow.com/en/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 07:21:52 AM by Woodshop »

vicious cycle

« Reply #537 on: August 20, 2021, 08:36:27 AM »

Here is the sticker
Stamps look way different.
More like this

But a lill bit different in order
Fun Fact.. measurements on mine and the one on instagram are identical.. ???

Here you can see it a bit better.
Tha last line says 100% canadian maple blabla. Not a serial number.
https://www.soohotrightnow.com/app/uploads/20210308-decks-006-1100x1100.jpg
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:50:59 AM by vicious cycle »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #538 on: August 20, 2021, 08:51:41 AM »
Here is the sticker
Stamps look way different.
More like this
But a lill bit different in order
Fun Fact.. measurements on mine and the one on instagram are identical.. ???

Thanks for the info.

So from that I would definitely say they have sourced all boards for EU from that same factory in China that Ben DG / Canada Skate Shop got their boards from, or all new boards for everywhere, so it will be interesting to see which it is for future orders.

Definitely different as you said, but if the lower line across those boards in your local all have that line "100% Premium North American Maple" which looks like it is, then at least that question has been answered.

vicious cycle

« Reply #539 on: August 20, 2021, 12:01:57 PM »
An extra note, the board is definitely heavier than a Killing Floor deck with almost the same shape.
I like it. After 2 sessions I can say that it takes a beating, has a snappy and solid feel and the shape is , at least for me , great. Not to tapered, not to fat.
Would love to get another one of these.