Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 210889 times)

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
    • a short part avatar image
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 +
« Reply #540 on: August 20, 2021, 12:29:06 PM »
I almost forgot this as well, when I went looking, which is pretty amazing to have a sticker like that.

DOA Silencer Deck 8.25”
31 3/4” Length

14.25” WB

6 7/8” Nose

6 5/8” Tail

Initially found it via google, but then found the actual shop - Relief Skate Supply.

https://reliefskatesupply.com/collections/decks/products/doa-hebert-brown-sheen-deck-8-25

Normal concave, but I recall someone else saying they were the same wheelbase.

Woah, that are the specs I am looking for. Like exactly..
And I love the last DOA video. Do they have a distribution in Europe/Germany?
IG: @flowterspace

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #541 on: August 20, 2021, 05:43:45 PM »
An extra note, the board is definitely heavier than a Killing Floor deck with almost the same shape.
I like it. After 2 sessions I can say that it takes a beating, has a snappy and solid feel and the shape is , at least for me , great. Not to tapered, not to fat.
Would love to get another one of these.

How does the angle of the kicks compare to other boards you have had?

You said you had a Polar and Killing Floor (both of which are BBS) so they have a spoon shaped kick, compared to some other woodshops that have more of a straight kick on a sharper angle from the body of the deck.

Even a side on pic would be cool, but not a worry either way.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #542 on: August 20, 2021, 06:07:57 PM »
Expand Quote
I almost forgot this as well, when I went looking, which is pretty amazing to have a sticker like that.

DOA Silencer Deck 8.25”
31 3/4” Length

14.25” WB

6 7/8” Nose

6 5/8” Tail

[close]

Woah, that are the specs I am looking for. Like exactly..
And I love the last DOA video. Do they have a distribution in Europe/Germany?

I think the distribution is more limited, being a small US brand with an online store and some local shops there that stock the boards.  I have never seen one, or heard of them apart from on here.

On another note, those dimensions are fairly consistent throughout most 8.25 boards from doing a bit of looking, including what a few companies have in local shops in Germany, especially after looking at boards from UMA for the guy who just got one in the posts before this one, woodshop unknown.

Quite a few other big woodshops, such as PS Stix and BBS decks are those dimensions, as are quite a few boards that are listed as longer, but are not - measuring with the concave on a deck will give a 32+ length rather than straight across which will give more of a 31.8 or just under 32, as an example.

Depending on whether you can go in to shops or not can make a big difference too.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #543 on: August 21, 2021, 03:25:20 AM »
Expand Quote
An extra note, the board is definitely heavier than a Killing Floor deck with almost the same shape.
I like it. After 2 sessions I can say that it takes a beating, has a snappy and solid feel and the shape is , at least for me , great. Not to tapered, not to fat.
Would love to get another one of these.
[close]

How does the angle of the kicks compare to other boards you have had?

You said you had a Polar and Killing Floor (both of which are BBS) so they have a spoon shaped kick, compared to some other woodshops that have more of a straight kick on a sharper angle from the body of the deck.

Even a side on pic would be cool, but not a worry either way.
Pic 1 Tail
Pic 2 Nose

Left Uma, the new board is a Killing Floor, The Polar ended in the trash after snapping it. But the tail on the Polar was super tapered and a bit too long imho.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 03:33:56 AM by vicious cycle »
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #544 on: August 21, 2021, 05:48:20 AM »

Left Uma, the new board is a Killing Floor, The Polar ended in the trash after snapping it. But the tail on the Polar was super tapered and a bit too long imho.

Thanks again!

If I didn't know it had a Made in China sticker on it, I would have said it was BBS from those pictures.

Killing Floor 8.25 x 32 with 14.25 wheelbase, so would be a fraction longer than the UMA deck going by measurements alone, so I am guessing it would be about the same?

Just checking if that Killing Floor deck has "Made in Mexico" on the sticker, or if there is any country on the warning sticker?

It does look the same as another one from CCS, so no worries there really.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #545 on: August 21, 2021, 06:03:13 AM »

I pulled a close up from another deck I had a picture of, also Killing Floor, BBS wood.

vicious cycle

« Reply #546 on: August 21, 2021, 08:14:20 AM »
All my Polar, Killing Floor decks are made in Mexico.
The polar snapped really quick. Basically in the first session on a flatground kickflip.
This china wood feels stronger somehow..
Next week I gonna order a few more of those uma boards directly from my distribution (working in a bike shop so I have access to skateboards too) . I report back how this will end up .
Maybe I just could asked the distribution guys where these  decks are made. Never thought about that..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 09:08:04 AM by vicious cycle »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #547 on: August 21, 2021, 04:47:18 PM »
Maybe I just could asked the distribution guys where these  decks are made. Never thought about that..

At least distributors are more likely to talk to shop people about product, especially if you say that you liked it a lot.

Sometimes though, even they might not know where something comes from, but I am guessing they would have a good idea.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy

Updated some more info in the main / first posts.

I have also changed the thread title slightly, trying to make it a bit more inclusive, as I have had people ask if they are ok to have specific questions in this thread, to which I always say YES, so now it is:

CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc

Anything related to woodshops, decks, brands, which company is on which woodshop, any changes and other info relating to that can also be added here.

To note as well, there are some specific threads also going on which have a lot of good info, some more commonly updated than others, so people might not find them going back up to ten pages in Shoes and Gear Messageboards, so I have included some (but not all) relevant deck info threads here too, the top ten being these ones:

DLX Shapes:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.0

Polar shapes thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112584.0

Quasi thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108613.0

FA/Hockey Shapes:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114906.0

Girl Deck Shapes:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=84855.0

Twin tails thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=105756.0

Egg shaped boards:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=100279.0

WBSWB Movement (Wide Board Short Wheelbase):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115328.0

DIY boards/graphics:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=48527.0

Everything B L A N K s thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113993.0

And of course two other threads which I find always have good pics and info:

The Set-up Thread

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=10804.0

Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97297.0

***  As much as I might be a bit weird, intense or whatever else since covid started, especially in these times when I am at home more than anything else, in between lock downs or other goings on, this has been a place for me to spend some time and have something to do.  In saying that, I am not doing this for anything other than to help people and try to keep busy.

I appreciate and welcome any other info re board brands that are not on here yet, changes that I need to make to the existing lists, or any questions.

Thanks to everyone who has helped make this list what it is today, as you are the ones who benefit too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

christ0v

• Rep: 15
Go and check

https://www.freedomskateshop.at

You can find wheelbase and manufacturers country on 95% of the decks. There is even some sale at the moment on selected decks.

Loki700

• Rep: 78
I appreciate and welcome any other info re board brands that are not on here yet, changes that I need to make to the existing lists, or any questions.

Thanks to everyone who has helped make this list what it is today, as you are the ones who benefit too.
Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Only brands I know of that aren’t on there are:

Sticks & Stones - South Central (I think?)
Beer City - Regulator Distribution (made in Wisconsin)
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Go and check

You can find wheelbase and manufacturers country on 95% of the decks. There is even some sale at the moment on selected decks.

Yeah, that is good they have all that, but only had a quick look through so far. 

Also interesting that Element is listed as made in Europe.  Might be similar to a few other brands that are licensed out to places like HLC woodshop for EU distribution.

vicious cycle

« Reply #552 on: August 24, 2021, 05:55:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

At least distributors are more likely to talk to shop people about product, especially if you say that you liked it a lot.

Sometimes though, even they might not know where something comes from, but I am guessing they would have a good idea.

So I asked them. He said the first run was made by DSM.
The same as enjoy he said.
The new UMA Decks are BBS

christ0v

• Rep: 15
Expand Quote
Go and check

[close]

Yeah, that is good they have all that, but only had a quick look through so far. 

Also interesting that Element is listed as made in Europe.  Might be similar to a few other brands that are licensed out to places like HLC woodshop for EU distribution.
I either replied to the wrong thread or the post have been deleted/moved, idk.

Elememtn probably uses HLC for their euro distribution, but some others like AWS are listed as Mede in Mexico. Probably has something with the distribution as well and some Mexico decks are available in selected shops ?
I know that some guys that work/worked at Freedom are/were active on Slap, but idk if they`ll give some info.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #554 on: August 24, 2021, 06:45:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So I asked them. He said the first run was made by DSM.
The same as enjoy he said.
The new UMA Decks are BBS

Thanks again - always nice to have info like that.

The only thing now is if you like the DSM wood / board better, check out what is still available or look up other DSM / Dwindle brands and see what is available.

That size and shape should be fairly common too, so easy enough to get more from any number of brands that they do.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy

Added Sticks & Stones to the list.

I had been trying to find more info about Regulator a while back and I guess I ran out of leads or forgot.  I know from seeing a few 1031 decks a long time ago now, they were rather unique, but I thought they were still from one of the known woodshops, but should I be thinking more along the lines of Regulator being their own woodshop too?

Their blank uncut boards would be popular for the DIY crowd too, if they were the right concave for those guys, but the price might be a bit high at US$49.95

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Element probably uses HLC for their euro distribution, but some others like AWS are listed as Mede in Mexico. Probably has something with the distribution as well and some Mexico decks are available in selected shops ?
I know that some guys that work/worked at Freedom are/were active on Slap, but idk if they`ll give some info.

Some brands seem to keep everything exactly the same worldwide, but others license out their brand, graphics and other product to the local distributor, which is most likely the case here.

There were a number of other brands that were doing this a lot, which was making it confusing for some people in different countries, who bought a certain brand board, but got something else.

Alien Workshop and Habitat were on HLC wood in EU not too long ago, but I think unless something has changed again, they are back under BBS (Mexico) for everywhere, the exception being the special editions on PS Stix (Mexico) that I saw and the price point decks from China, or at least that appears to be the case from the shops I have been in or seen info from.

The reverse of that is happening with Plan B, as now HLC is doing the worldwide distribution of wood for the Plan B brand, or at least that is what their media info is saying.  Plan B was on PS Stix for a long time, then on Clutch / ASF in the Americas at the same time, but the boards I had seen in the last year were different to anything else - I guess I hadn't really seen HLC much at all before that.

What is making it harder too is if people are not really able to go into a shop and stand on a lot of boards, or see them in person, you might not have as much control over what you end up getting too.

Loki700

Expand Quote

[close]

Added Sticks & Stones to the list.

I had been trying to find more info about Regulator a while back and I guess I ran out of leads or forgot.  I know from seeing a few 1031 decks a long time ago now, they were rather unique, but I thought they were still from one of the known woodshops, but should I be thinking more along the lines of Regulator being their own woodshop too?

Their blank uncut boards would be popular for the DIY crowd too, if they were the right concave for those guys, but the price might be a bit high at US$49.95
Going off what I was told at the local skate park in Milwaukee, Beer City decks are 100% made in Wisconsin, using maple that was grown in Wisconsin.  That leads me to believe that Regulator is their own woodshop, but this could all be hearsay.  I haven't followed up on this information, which I probably should have.  Beer City says that they're made in the USA, but they could be sourced from one of the big distributors here.  Regulator and Beer City have the same P.O. Box so they're definitely one and the same.

I'll try to see what else I can find out on them.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
Expand Quote

Element probably uses HLC for their euro distribution, but some others like AWS are listed as Mede in Mexico. Probably has something with the distribution as well and some Mexico decks are available in selected shops ?
[close]

Some brands seem to keep everything exactly the same worldwide, but others license out their brand, graphics and other product to the local distributor, which is most likely the case here.

There were a number of other brands that were doing this a lot, which was making it confusing for some people in different countries, who bought a certain brand board, but got something else.

Alien Workshop and Habitat were on HLC wood in EU not too long ago, but I think unless something has changed again, they are back under BBS (Mexico) for everywhere, the exception being the special editions on PS Stix (Mexico) that I saw and the price point decks from China, or at least that appears to be the case from the shops I have been in or seen info from.

The reverse of that is happening with Plan B, as now HLC is doing the worldwide distribution of wood for the Plan B brand, or at least that is what their media info is saying.  Plan B was on PS Stix for a long time, then on Clutch / ASF in the Americas at the same time, but the boards I had seen in the last year were different to anything else - I guess I hadn't really seen HLC much at all before that.

What is making it harder too is if people are not really able to go into a shop and stand on a lot of boards, or see them in person, you might not have as much control over what you end up getting too.

I could be wrong on this but I think the HLC Habitat/AWS boards in the EU were pricepoint/logo only decks? regular AWS/Pro boards are BBS, and as you say the special boards ie the NASA collab were PS - my friend had one of the Nasa collabs and it had the oddest shape I've seen for a regular popsicle deck to this day.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #559 on: August 24, 2021, 01:45:47 PM »

DOA Silencer Deck 8.25”
31 3/4” Length

14.25” WB

6 7/8” Nose

6 5/8” Tail

Initially found it via google, but then found the actual shop - Relief Skate Supply.

https://reliefskatesupply.com/collections/decks/products/doa-hebert-brown-sheen-deck-8-25

Normal concave, but I recall someone else saying they were the same wheelbase.

The Element deck I bought recently also had a lot of nice specs printed right on the top of the board:
Element Sascha Natural Defense
8.5x32.36”
N: 7.25”
T: 6.75”
WB: 14.5”

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
Just bought a Meow for my daughter from Tactics. It is DSM.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I could be wrong on this but I think the HLC Habitat/AWS boards in the EU were pricepoint/logo only decks? regular AWS/Pro boards are BBS, and as you say the special boards ie the NASA collab were PS - my friend had one of the Nasa collabs and it had the oddest shape I've seen for a regular popsicle deck to this day.

That sounds about right though.

Funny about the NASA / PS Stix - some of the other threads with inconsistencies or odd shapes are interesting to see, maybe not something I would really highlight here time and time again, but others can post whatever they want.

vicious cycle

So here's the stamp from the UMA Boards that are made by DSM. According to the guy from the distribution I have it from.

LebowskisRug

How steep are kicks on Uma?

I'm on a Polar now and have liked the Sci-Fi/Pass~Port generic BBS shape. Want mellower kicks next and maybe try something different- is Baker my best option? Kinda meh on that brand.

Loki700

So I made this more for myself than anything, but I put all of the information into a Google sheet.  You can view it below, and you can put temporary filters on it to sort by brand, year, country, whatever you want.  I'll try to keep it updated with this thread.

I also am going to put as much info as I can about trucks in the workbook, but the information I'd really like to put in there, kingpin and pivot angles, seems to be very hard to find.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10zsYuMXjvnG-hhTFbpqKn8AWOo4by1tSzZLfhQ-sleQ/edit?usp=sharing

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
the bbs/generator ones were super flat. flatter than dlx or any other wood id ridden recently.

vicious cycle

I'm on a Polar now and have liked the Sci-Fi/Pass~Port generic BBS shape. Want mellower kicks next and maybe try something different- is Baker my best option? Kinda meh on that brand.
The UMAs made by DSM I have, are pretty similar to the killing floor decks I have witch are made by BBS. Medium kicks i would say. But it seems that all UMA boards, besides this first run for some eu countries, are also made by BBS. I can't speak for those. I made a pic of the dsm uma tail. It's a few post back in here. Post 543

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Baker mellow is about middle of the road for BBS, definitely steeper in the Baker decks I have than the DLX with a III or IV stamp, but also having BBS all being pressed 4 at a time, most other companies never would know or show which ones are steeper or which ones are more mellow so a few of the same exact board will have differences too, with the exception of some brands that are specifically stepper / use different presses to most, like FA / Hockey, or others that always seem a bit steeper to me, such as Slave.

If you cannot stand on a board or see it in person, maybe try asking the shop for anything in the right size from DLX with a III or IV stamp on top, or even some shops will have guys who know their product and be able to recommend something they have in stock for you.  This is often not an option for some places, but worth asking anyway, just in case.

Some that I have had that have been more on the mellow side (but not always) includes first and foremost DLX (Antihero, Krooked and Real) Birdhouse, DGK, Element, Passport, Black Label, Darkroom, Deathwish, Heroin, and probably half the list from the first page all up, so there are definitely a lot of options.

Not to bring up too many options, but doing the old Neen drive over it or park on it will flatten any board out a bit more as well, which does work, as I have done many myself that just felt too steep for my liking.  It certainly mellows out the kicks without causing structural issues with the deck.

Bold

• Rep: 40
Expand Quote

[close]

Some that I have had that have been more on the mellow side (but not always) includes first and foremost DLX (Antihero, Krooked and Real) Birdhouse, DGK, Element, Passport, Black Label, Darkroom, Deathwish, Heroin, and probably half the list from the first page all up, so there are definitely a lot of options.

How can parking on a deck not break wood fibers? I think it's a terrible idea.

Are you sure about that info for anti-hero decks? I've only had a few antihero decks but they have all tended to be on the steeper side regarding both concave and kicks. One of them came to me gripped so I don't know what number in the stack it is but the kicks measure 22 or 23°. My most recent deck is a number IV anti-hero eagle 8.25 and the kicks are 21 or 22°. I compared it with several Krooked, Powell, and real decks as well as I and II antihero decks. The anti-hero decks had steeper kicks by far than all the rest in that shop on that day. Powell were all pretty consistent and on the shallow end.

The DGK deck I have has much shallower kicks. Reminds me of a Powell. They measure like 18 or 19°. Again I never saw if the DGK deck had a stack position mark on it Don't know if that brand does that.

Baker has a chart that shows they make both mellow and steep decks.
https://bakerskateboards.com/pages/board-construction

OG shape in 8.125 and up look like the shallower options available

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

How can parking on a deck not break wood fibers? I think it's a terrible idea.

Are you sure about that info for anti-hero decks? I've only had a few antihero decks but they have all tended to be on the steeper side regarding both concave and kicks. One of them came to me gripped so I don't know what number in the stack it is but the kicks measure 22 or 23°. My most recent deck is a number IV anti-hero eagle 8.25 and the kicks are 21 or 22°. I compared it with several Krooked, Powell, and real decks as well as I and II antihero decks. The anti-hero decks had steeper kicks by far than all the rest in that shop on that day. Powell were all pretty consistent and on the shallow end.

The DGK deck I have has much shallower kicks. Reminds me of a Powell. They measure like 18 or 19°. Again I never saw if the DGK deck had a stack position mark on it Don't know if that brand does that.

Baker has a chart that shows they make both mellow and steep decks.
https://bakerskateboards.com/pages/board-construction

OG shape in 8.125 and up look like the shallower options available

Concave in general is an interesting one, especially if you are out there measuring boards with the app for the angle of the kicks, but standing on them is the best way to feel out the concave, which I have done for way too many years, but shall we say that from over a few hundred DLX decks (via a skate shop) I have noted significant differences to other BBS wood - and that was the question, not all woodshops but BBS in particular.

I know there are many other brands / woodshops that have more mellow concave too, just to make that clear.

Back to DLX and Antihero in particular (although all three deck brands use the same wood so have the same options in concave), I only really like to ride the IV boards, or even III when it feels ok, which are significantly more mellow than anything else, including the Baker boards (OG Mellow concave versions) I have, as well as the DGK, and all the other BBS boards that have passed through my hands, too many to count, if we were talking numbers, it would be thousands.  Call me crazy, but almost all of which I have stood on to get a feel for the board too.

Also I don't know what it is but DLX 8.25 decks in general ALL seem to be steeper in concave than others, be it different presses or what, but every number I through to IV have been way steeper than say the 8.38 that I usually ride, which would give the same conclusion to what you found with the grey eagle deck.

Here is an interesting post showing the concave differences from a while back, in particular frames 3 and 4 showing the differences in board concave and angle of kicks, which is quite significant.

On the subject of driving over boards, yes it seems a bit obvious that something has to give structurally and I know some people who have flattened boards too much from doing this, but I have done at least twenty or more myself, all BBS, which has no overall detrimental effect on the deck apart from making it more mellow in the kicks, sometimes doing both ends, other times only doing the tail, but it works and I have never felt any of these boards break or have issues from the process. 

This video below was just the first test on a new board that was too steep, which I was not worried if I broke it or anything, but I have since been parking overnight on most boards as they spring back too quickly from just simply driving over them.  Note the deck before and after, for which I felt almost no difference in the feel of it when I set it back up and skated it, so needed to park on it for way longer.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 05:39:14 PM by Woodshop »