Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91213 times)

dr.prestige

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 344
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #270 on: August 16, 2021, 03:55:47 PM »
All this curb shit is ridiculous. When I see someone post  their “slappy set-up” and they have a board with a small nose and some 60mm wheels, I know they ain’t doing shit. A rail slide and a 5050 maybe. If you look at all the best curb skaters, those guys are riding a slightly larger board and 50-52mm wheels and use rails.

It's possible to do basically any trick on basically any board configuration don't get too caught up in set-up analysis to forget that being good at tricks is all about practicing them and calibrating your body to whatever you're riding

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #271 on: August 16, 2021, 06:40:14 PM »
I can do FS slappies once in a while...for i just dont understand backside....ITS NOT UNLOCKED
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Uncle Jeffrey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #272 on: August 16, 2021, 07:18:49 PM »

this is making we start to think about trying a really silly slappy setup, like tiny wheels/giant trucks/even more giant deck. could be fun...

I follow a bunch of those old dude slappy/curb ig pages, mostly full of out of shape guys struggling to get on curbs, and one posted some clips of that weird Spencer kid who is vaguely a YouTube/Instagram person (I'm too old for this shit) and he has a hilarious looking set up like that with tiny sub 50 wheels (it looks like) on what has to be a 9.5 to 10ish board and trucks. And the dude absolutely kills it.

Edit I think it was this board. And I can't judge sizes from clips well. Could get well be a 9" and 52s or something if he has small feet

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CQqsqhSDGtz/?utm_medium=copy_link
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 07:37:55 PM by Uncle Jeffrey »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 233
« Reply #273 on: August 16, 2021, 07:43:05 PM »
I can do FS slappies once in a while...for i just dont understand backside....ITS NOT UNLOCKED

Turn your shoulders and ass to the curb as you carve on. If not you’ll only go Willy..
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #274 on: August 16, 2021, 09:38:09 PM »
Expand Quote

this is making we start to think about trying a really silly slappy setup, like tiny wheels/giant trucks/even more giant deck. could be fun...
[close]

I follow a bunch of those old dude slappy/curb ig pages, mostly full of out of shape guys struggling to get on curbs, and one posted some clips of that weird Spencer kid who is vaguely a YouTube/Instagram person (I'm too old for this shit) and he has a hilarious looking set up like that with tiny sub 50 wheels (it looks like) on what has to be a 9.5 to 10ish board and trucks. And the dude absolutely kills it.

Edit I think it was this board. And I can't judge sizes from clips well. Could get well be a 9" and 52s or something if he has small feet

Iirc it’s a 9.5. The dude’s like thirty, he’s been around a while. He used to be on Birdhouse and was a more or less regular type of skater. His setup is butt ugly but he is a curb wizard.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #275 on: August 16, 2021, 10:43:28 PM »
Anyone got tips for slappy bluntslides? I've been trying to stall them on parking blocks but I always end up slipping into board stall right before my back wheels clear the top of the block

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #276 on: August 16, 2021, 10:58:53 PM »
Blunts....I put my back foot on the edge of the tail....ie. Not in the pocket....it gives more leverege....the key for me is pushing your front foot which counters your back foot to pop it out....

Back 50-50's, rather slappy crook if you're gonna do the front truck/back truck....or go in on the back truck... Start with heelside...as you approach the curb back toe digs...into a feeble, the shift both heels down. 

Phillyflared

• Rep: 40
« Reply #277 on: August 16, 2021, 11:31:37 PM »

Covid curb from this past weekend

Uncle Jeffrey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #278 on: August 17, 2021, 08:14:48 AM »
Anyone got tips for slappy bluntslides? I've been trying to stall them on parking blocks but I always end up slipping into board stall right before my back wheels clear the top of the block

How do you even get into blunt slappy? I can't picture it. Feels like you have to inherently get airborne to get into it. Then again, slappies in general don't make sense if you think about them

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1405
« Reply #279 on: August 17, 2021, 08:36:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How do you even get into blunt slappy? I can't picture it. Feels like you have to inherently get airborne to get into it. Then again, slappies in general don't make sense if you think about them

I can do them but i don't really have any tips for them, they barely make sense to me

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #280 on: August 17, 2021, 08:42:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Iirc it’s a 9.5. The dude’s like thirty, he’s been around a while. He used to be on Birdhouse and was a more or less regular type of skater. His setup is butt ugly but he is a curb wizard.

Yeah he seems like sort of an anomaly to me as well. Promotes a bunch of finger boards and delta 8 and other corny shit on his website, but is undeniably sick on the curbs. I became aware of him when he did a series of tutorial videos on YouTube like 7-8+ years ago. His slappy tutorials were actually very helpful to me. He breaks things down pretty nicely, none of that “pop up, do trick, ride away clean!” nonsense that is all too common.

And on the topic of FS slappy tips that others have discussed: I have a buddy that does FS slaps ultra proper and consistent. The tip he told me was to just start by cheating with your front foot up near the nose pocket and back foot by the tail pocket. This allows you really use the leverage of your nose and tail to cheat your way up at first. It helps you to nudge the nose, lifting the back truck slightly and helping it up. Once you get this sort of two-step slap technique dialed, you gradually move the feet in towards the center and rely less on nose/tail cheating. It trains you to smash the front truck up and then shift your weight off the back truck, putting weight instead toward the nose so that you can start locking in and setting your grind. Keep it up until you’re properly smashing on with your feet over the bolts. There’s no better feeling than smashing onto a curb with your feet close together in the middle of the board. It’s like a magic trick.

sphincterparty

• Rep: -5
« Reply #281 on: August 17, 2021, 08:44:47 AM »
Not sure if it's been discussed yet but I am having a hard time getting out of fs slappies. I can't seem to pivot out of them, but can lock into them fine. Any tips?

manysnakes

« Reply #282 on: August 17, 2021, 08:51:52 AM »
All this curb shit is ridiculous. When I see someone post  their “slappy set-up” and they have a board with a small nose and some 60mm wheels, I know they ain’t doing shit. A rail slide and a 5050 maybe. If you look at all the best curb skaters, those guys are riding a slightly larger board and 50-52mm wheels and use rails.

I largely agree. I skate curbs alllll the time and I use the same 8.25” deck with 144s that I use to skate street or parks. But people here have like four setups that would appear to be basically identical to any lay person, so I don’t really see the harm in the curb complete - it’s the same thing. Speaking personally, I do think my skating improved when I focused less on my gear and just skated a single setup for everything.

Maybe all you ever skate is curbs though, where a 9” deck with 169 Indys and rails really would just be a blast.

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #283 on: August 17, 2021, 10:20:19 AM »
anyone got any tips on slappy front krooks? i can get into them but can’t hold them for long before falling off the curb

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #284 on: August 17, 2021, 10:40:06 AM »
Not sure if it's been discussed yet but I am having a hard time getting out of fs slappies. I can't seem to pivot out of them, but can lock into them fine. Any tips?

Hard time how?  Back truck going onto sidewalk or over the other side?  If so, make sure your weight is on your back heel.  I’ve learned this lesson painfully on transition. If your weight is on your back toe, you’ll pivot on that wheel > heelside wheel comes over coping onto deck> hang up-to-flat. 

sphincterparty

• Rep: -5
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2021, 11:23:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hard time how?  Back truck going onto sidewalk or over the other side?  If so, make sure your weight is on your back heel.  I’ve learned this lesson painfully on transition. If your weight is on your back toe, you’ll pivot on that wheel > heelside wheel comes over coping onto deck> hang up-to-flat.

Both my trucks lock in but I feel like i can get out of it unless I ride it to the end of the curb. I guess my focus has been more slamming the front truck to lock in so I'll try leaning more on my back foot. Thanks

IpathCats

« Reply #286 on: August 17, 2021, 11:29:54 AM »
Just recently rub brick'd and clear coated like 5ish 8' sections of curb in this business park. Can only skate there after dark and on the weekends, but im stoked on it. Its mostly covered by a big tree so its shady during the day, and it has lights for night sesh's. Really doesn't get much better than that. Especially in my skate spot deprived small town.

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #287 on: August 17, 2021, 11:35:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Both my trucks lock in but I feel like i can get out of it unless I ride it to the end of the curb. I guess my focus has been more slamming the front truck to lock in so I'll try leaning more on my back foot. Thanks

Lean on your back foot and turn your shoulders away, your board will automatically follow. You can even get fancy with it by doing a small kickturn/pivot before you drop off the curb. Try it a couple times stationary and do it riding once you feel confident enough.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #288 on: August 17, 2021, 11:50:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's possible to do basically any trick on basically any board configuration don't get too caught up in set-up analysis to forget that being good at tricks is all about practicing them and calibrating your body to whatever you're riding

I enjoy doing slappies with a Thunder Juice OJ 75mm, combined with Ace 44s... Does this mean I ain't doing shit?

TheDingus

« Reply #289 on: August 17, 2021, 11:55:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I enjoy doing slappies with a Thunder Juice OJ 75mm, combined with Ace 44s... Does this mean I ain't doing shit?

Probably.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #290 on: August 17, 2021, 12:25:05 PM »
you hurt my feelings!!!!  :'(

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #291 on: August 17, 2021, 07:41:18 PM »

Ur trying to gatekeep curbs rn
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #292 on: August 18, 2021, 01:01:46 AM »
Blunts....I put my back foot on the edge of the tail....ie. Not in the pocket....it gives more leverege....the key for me is pushing your front foot which counters your back foot to pop it out....

Back 50-50's, rather slappy crook if you're gonna do the front truck/back truck....or go in on the back truck... Start with heelside...as you approach the curb back toe digs...into a feeble, the shift both heels down.

Thanks! I’ll focus a bit more on the front foot. I was pushing up more with my back foot so maybe that’s a mistake

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #293 on: August 18, 2021, 10:12:33 AM »
anyone got any tips on slappy front krooks? i can get into them but can’t hold them for long before falling off the curb

What helped me, is having the head exactly above the front foot. I have my shoulders parallel to the curb

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #294 on: August 20, 2021, 12:05:29 AM »
Anyone got any tips for ollieing out of slappy 5050s? When I get on the curb both my feet will be around the bolts, making it almost impossible to do a proper ollie out. I can do them when ollieing into the 50 as my feet are already in position but it feels almost impossible when I do a slappy. Do you adjust your foot positioning before getting on the curb or while you're grinding?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #295 on: August 20, 2021, 05:19:25 AM »
Anyone got any tips for ollieing out of slappy 5050s? When I get on the curb both my feet will be around the bolts, making it almost impossible to do a proper ollie out. I can do them when ollieing into the 50 as my feet are already in position but it feels almost impossible when I do a slappy. Do you adjust your foot positioning before getting on the curb or while you're grinding?

i was trying the same thing today. my take away was hitting the curb with a foot positioning that is as close to ollie position as possible (if the curb is not really long) or reposition the feet, when the curb is longer. The first one showed more success

Lucky_Basek

• Rep: 55
« Reply #296 on: August 20, 2021, 05:31:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i was trying the same thing today. my take away was hitting the curb with a foot positioning that is as close to ollie position as possible (if the curb is not really long) or reposition the feet, when the curb is longer. The first one showed more success

With feet near your bolts you can also shift front foot to your nose and shove-it out of a front side slappy. I find that actually tapping the nose on the curb and nollie shoving out pops the board up and gives a bit more control. Strangely with backside 5050 slappies it's easier for me to pop shove-it out off the tail. But this is just because I am old and have very strange feet.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #297 on: September 16, 2021, 02:01:32 PM »
Is there a power tool that can make rub bricking faster? I realize this might be a dumb question but I poked around online and I'm not sure. Could I use a power sander if I got some kind of attachment?

manysnakes

« Reply #298 on: September 16, 2021, 03:29:08 PM »
Is there a power tool that can make rub bricking faster? I realize this might be a dumb question but I poked around online and I'm not sure. Could I use a power sander if I got some kind of attachment?

Some kind of drill attachment would be incredible. Following along here

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #299 on: September 16, 2021, 03:47:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Some kind of drill attachment would be incredible. Following along here

angle grinder with concrete grinding wheel attachment