Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91200 times)

manysnakes

Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #300 on: September 16, 2021, 03:50:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is there a power tool that can make rub bricking faster? I realize this might be a dumb question but I poked around online and I'm not sure. Could I use a power sander if I got some kind of attachment?
[close]

Some kind of drill attachment would be incredible. Following along here
[close]

angle grinder with concrete grinding wheel attachment

That's a good idea, but I also got a leather apron ripped open by a broken grinder wheel, and have been gunshy ever since then.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:27:33 AM by manysnakes »

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #301 on: September 17, 2021, 06:58:40 AM »
check out this heater i did at 5am the other day

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 233
« Reply #302 on: September 17, 2021, 07:40:53 AM »
In case you all need some inspiration

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #303 on: September 17, 2021, 07:45:46 AM »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #304 on: September 17, 2021, 08:02:43 AM »

this was really dope that huge bs smith was so nice

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #305 on: September 17, 2021, 10:53:47 AM »

nice. usually if you wear an orange vest during the day people wont even look twice

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #306 on: September 17, 2021, 10:57:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
nice. usually if you wear an orange vest during the day people wont even look twice

this one was at a church and there were cars there even at 5am. hoping someone doesnt live there. i skated it already once and no one came out complaining or anything and those same cars were there. its possible they are just parked there. i did think i saw the main church lights come on while i was doing the spray lacquer. Luckily i parked my car at the edge of the property and high tailed it out of there, I was going to hang around to find out if anyone was there or if that light was on a timer or maybe i am just a weed head and it was on the entire time and i didnt notice. the most heat part is done now lol. I want to do up like 2 more sections of this ledge and possibly the section that goes around the corner too (might actually do that next) maybe do up a curb and we'd have a proper plaza spot lol

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #307 on: September 17, 2021, 11:14:19 AM »
I used to skate some curbs in a Christian Science church parking lot in my old neighborhood. There were always a bunch of cars but I realized eventually that the parking spots were rented out to people who lived in the neighborhood. So they had very little connection to the church and didn't care what I was up to. Even if they did it would probably be tough to complain to the manager and wait for something to happen, like if management could be bothered to catch me in the act or something after that. Could be similar?

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #308 on: September 17, 2021, 01:27:12 PM »

That back smith w/ the indy grab made my day.
Really fun watch. Thank you.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Coffee

• Rep: 44
« Reply #309 on: September 17, 2021, 02:46:23 PM »
Wow that was great!

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #310 on: September 17, 2021, 03:17:22 PM »
anyone have more insights into backside slappies? i can frontside 50, smith, noseslide, etc like a champ, but everything backside doesn't work at all for me. i've been working on backside noseslides and can get those to kinda work, but backside 50s and crooks will not go.. supposedly those two are the easiest backside ones to learn so i'm starting with those.

I always end up in willy for backside 50s and i cant get into the crooks at all. any tips would be great.

TheDingus

« Reply #311 on: September 17, 2021, 03:28:17 PM »
anyone have more insights into backside slappies? i can frontside 50, smith, noseslide, etc like a champ, but everything backside doesn't work at all for me. i've been working on backside noseslides and can get those to kinda work, but backside 50s and crooks will not go.. supposedly those two are the easiest backside ones to learn so i'm starting with those.

I always end up in willy for backside 50s and i cant get into the crooks at all. any tips would be great.

Man I’m the same. Can’t back slap to save my life.
Help!

manysnakes

« Reply #312 on: September 17, 2021, 03:36:02 PM »
It's so funny to hear people can't back slappy at all because that's all I can do. I lost front slappies entirely and every month, I decide I'm going to relearn them, only to roll my ankle or some other embarrassment.

As far as how to do them, with backside, I definitely sort of "carve" into them. Now that I am comfortable, I can backside slappy a curb skating nearly parallel to it. For frontside, I always had to come at much more of an angle and essentially powerslide into it, it that makes any sense.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #313 on: September 17, 2021, 03:48:51 PM »
It's so funny to hear people can't back slappy at all because that's all I can do. I lost front slappies entirely and every month, I decide I'm going to relearn them, only to roll my ankle or some other embarrassment.

As far as how to do them, with backside, I definitely sort of "carve" into them. Now that I am comfortable, I can backside slappy a curb skating nearly parallel to it. For frontside, I always had to come at much more of an angle and essentially powerslide into it, it that makes any sense.
I feel like with frontside I can just smash until the curb and still be standing somewhat vertical, but going backside I have to lean more (like kickturning a quarterpipe, but don't lift your front wheels). Speed helps :/

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #314 on: September 17, 2021, 04:48:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Man I’m the same. Can’t back slap to save my life.
Help!

Whenever I don’t get on it’s because I don’t turn my shoulders and hips enough.

To get those back wheels on you really have to turn your shoulders and hips fully parallel to the curb, if not a touch more, it’s a much more fuller and aggressive movement than a mini ramp bs 50-50.

That’s what people mean when they say it’s a ‘carve’, you fully turn as you get on.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #315 on: September 17, 2021, 07:16:37 PM »
BS: Open shoulders/hips a little on the approach so you can give it a little oomshallah as the front wheel starts to climb. If your shoulder is already centered over the board, it’s tough to get enough rotation. Also, weight a little more forward or front foot more toward the nose will help bring the back truck up instead of pushing just the front along in a Willy.

My BS 50’s are working pretty well, but I keep over shooting into a Losi on my FS’s, especially when trying to go fast. I think it’s partially because these goddamn Midwestern kerps have a huge radius and it’s hard to lock in.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #316 on: September 17, 2021, 10:42:42 PM »
Thanks y'all! I've been trying to apply the same technique as fs slappy so it makes sense that it's not working bs. I'll try to carve more and keep my shoulders in mind.

Anyone have tips for slappy back crook? I try to keep my weight more on my toes and go into the curb at a 45 degree angle. I need to record myself doing it again but it feels like I'm not even getting into it.

I can lock into fs crooks almost every try but it's hard to get them to grind.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #317 on: September 17, 2021, 10:43:36 PM »

Thanks it’s like they’re making a mockery out of the fact I’m barely able to hang onto just standard slappies and when I do them I feel like I’m pushing half a tonne up hill

scary

• Rep: -7
« Reply #318 on: September 17, 2021, 11:56:03 PM »

A LOT easier to learn on a curved curb. People are gonna hate cuz jake anderson said you aren’t allowed to lift your front truck but fuck him. Start doing little slashes on curbs (keep the nose raised and kinda kickturn the whole thing), then do the same thing but put your front truck down and kinda get into em like an axel stall on a quarter, once you get used to those you just ride into the curb (45 degree angle) and powerslide your back truck on (your front truck will ALWAYS weasle its way onto the curb as long as your brain is focused on doing the powerslide to get the back truck on

for slappy k’s (my favorite trick) just ride into the curb 45 degree angle. Once you feel like your one wheel hits the curb put your weight all on your front truck and you kinda just get into it. If you end up in a noseslide you are putting pressure too early. You can get good at em and start messing around going at the curb straight on and doing kind of a slash and coming off just for fun

scary

• Rep: -7
« Reply #319 on: September 17, 2021, 11:57:21 PM »
Whos got bs feeble tips? I can get into it (back truck on and board rail hitting) but instantly bailing

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #320 on: September 18, 2021, 12:24:59 AM »

Treat it like transition. Also have your front foot a bit further back on the board than you would for a frontside slappy, as soon as you feel your front truck is on the curb sweep the back foot backwards so you don’t end up in willy

disclosed

• Rep: 186
« Reply #321 on: September 18, 2021, 02:02:01 AM »
around my city most people only do backside slappy krooks. which i still cant figure out how they work. and i was so confused when they all praised my FS 50's cause i thought that was the easiest one to do. but almost no one does em here, its all backside. curb skating is still in its early stages here anyway since theres so little curbs to skate.
definitly gonna work in my krooks when my injury finally heals.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #322 on: September 18, 2021, 02:59:36 AM »
OK, one more time

CUCKTARD’S ALL-INCLUSIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR FRONTSIDE AND BACKSIDE SLAPPIES

Take photos now, or copy-paste somewhere on your phone for reference when your at your preferred slutty and slick curb.

1- HANG YOUR FEET OFF.
You are going to turn hard and help those wheels up onto the curb, so if you are going backside, hang your toes off more than usual. If your going frontside, hang your heels off.
Also, for beginners, have your front foot over the front bolts, right up against the curve of the nose.
The back foot is on wherever, but maybe not on the end of the tail. You’re not going to lift the nose.

2- GO STRAIGHT AT THE CURB (or almost straight)
This is just for the beginners. After you get the hang of it and your confidence increases, you can go at a lower angle. But going head-on into the curb will help you get onto it, so have your bodily mass heading into it.

3- CARVE
About a meter/yard before you hit, carve hard into the direction you wanna get on. Your board should be between 70-45 degrees to the curb at time of impact. Your body weight should be well inside the turn, and you should be cranking down hard on those toes or heels.

3- DON’T SLAM THE BOARD
This is the most important point. And one that people make the most mistakes with. Slappies are actually kinda delicate, and a pretty smooth feeling trick once you understand this point.
As your front wheels hit the curb, you have to lighten your front foot, like when you nollie bump a crack in the pavement. You let the board bump up onto the curb, and then do the same with your back foot, as you push it into place. It’s a very quick and subtle unweighting of front foot-back foot.
You never straight-leg slam the board into the curb.

****if you don’t twist enough into the turn, your back wheels won’t bump up. You have to twist your body so that your shoulders and hips are in line with the curb. This is usually easier frontside (probably because fs grinds on as a mini are like this, but with bs you can stay open to the coping). On a slappy, you gotta fully turn your whole body so that the back wheel gets on****

4- GET IN THE BACKSEAT
With your front foot so far forward, you may find yourself weighting the front truck so much that it catches on the grind.
As you get that back truck on, scoot the whole board forward underneath you, get your weight back of center, and grind

5-ENJOY THE RIDE, DISMOUNT IN YOUR PREFERRED STYLE, AND UTTER “PRAISE BE TO LUCERO”
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 07:45:30 AM by cucktard »

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #323 on: September 18, 2021, 06:02:27 PM »
OK, one more time

CUCKTARD’S ALL-INCLUSIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR FRONTSIDE AND BACKSIDE SLAPPIES

Take photos now, or copy-paste somewhere on your phone for reference when your at your preferred slutty and slick curb.

1- HANG YOUR FEET OFF.
You are going to turn hard and help those wheels up onto the curb, so if you are going backside, hang your toes off more than usual. If your going frontside, hang your heels off.
Also, for beginners, have your front foot over the front bolts, right up against the curve of the nose.
The back foot is on wherever, but maybe not on the end of the tail. You’re not going to lift the nose.

2- GO STRAIGHT AT THE CURB (or almost straight)
This is just for the beginners. After you get the hang of it and your confidence increases, you can go at a lower angle. But going head-on into the curb will help you get onto it, so have your bodily mass heading into it.

3- CARVE
About a meter/yard before you hit, carve hard into the direction you wanna get on. Your board should be between 70-45 degrees to the curb at time of impact. Your body weight should be well inside the turn, and you should be cranking down hard on those toes or heels.

3- DON’T SLAM THE BOARD
This is the most important point. And one that people make the most mistakes with. Slappies are actually kinda delicate, and a pretty smooth feeling trick once you understand this point.
As your front wheels hit the curb, you have to lighten your front foot, like when you nollie bump a crack in the pavement. You let the board bump up onto the curb, and then do the same with your back foot, as you push it into place. It’s a very quick and subtle unweighting of front foot-back foot.
You never straight-leg slam the board into the curb.

****if you don’t twist enough into the turn, your back wheels won’t bump up. You have to twist your body so that your shoulders and hips are in line with the curb. This is usually easier frontside (probably because fs grinds on as a mini are like this, but with bs you can stay open to the coping). On a slappy, you gotta fully turn your whole body so that the back wheel gets on****

4- GET IN THE BACKSEAT
With your front foot so far forward, you may find yourself weighting the front truck so much that it catches on the grind.
As you get that back truck on, scoot the whole board forward underneath you, get your weight back of center, and grind

5-ENJOY THE RIDE, DISMOUNT IN YOUR PREFERRED STYLE, AND UTTER “PRAISE BE TO LUCERO”

Thanks for sharing! Must have missed this before

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1405
« Reply #324 on: September 18, 2021, 07:48:05 PM »
Whos got bs feeble tips? I can get into it (back truck on and board rail hitting) but instantly bailing

1. Get rails. Makes your feeble way more stable and forgiving

2. Sit on that back foot. Put all your weight on the back heel.

petersmolik

« Reply #325 on: September 21, 2021, 09:40:27 AM »
The elusive slappy fs nosegrind feels dope when landed. Works best on a slightly angled curb.

When I do backslide slappy (basic 5050), I aim or imagine I'm forcing my back truck into a bs pivot (curb should lock or be pinched against the heel-side back wheel. Don't think about the front truck at all other than slightly lifting up to allow yourself room to guide the front truck onto the curb. It's more about getting/forcing the back truck actually on to the ledge than anything else.

It also helps to imagine that when you're locked in, you want the same type of lock-in as a 5050 on a flatbar (so basically a cross lock/diagonal lock between your back and front trucks; where the back heel-side wheel is pinched against the curb and the front toe-side wheel is against the curb).

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #326 on: September 21, 2021, 09:49:37 AM »
I can fs grind and bs crook all fucking day long but the bs grind eludes me. I feel like I'm going to die every time I attempt it.

Jaydd

• Rep: 2
« Reply #327 on: September 21, 2021, 11:37:47 AM »
I can fs grind and bs crook all fucking day long but the bs grind eludes me. I feel like I'm going to die every time I attempt it.

I've been trying to learn FS 5050 and BS crooks. I can lock into a crook about 1/5 times. FS feels like I'm going to fall off everytime. I either lean to far back or forward

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #328 on: September 21, 2021, 11:39:25 AM »
great tips cucktard i wish i would have read those instead of beating my head agianst the wall so many times but that helps re-assure me i was doing the right things :)

Frank and Fred

« Reply #329 on: September 21, 2021, 11:52:18 AM »
It's counterintuitive but front foot placement can even be a bit further back than front bolts. This keeps your weight back and also prevents cheater slappies (ie lifting the back truck on). Also angle that front foot as if you're carving a tight shallow end. Think of the curb as 6" 1/4 pipe.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 12:01:22 PM by Frank and Fred »