Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 93051 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1142
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #330 on: September 21, 2021, 11:59:23 AM »

I saw a Kickstarte/indigogo or some ad for a metal skateboard curb attachment, on my social media last night, anyone seen that?

Noble Experiment

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #331 on: September 21, 2021, 11:59:53 AM »
Just got fs slappies down recently, such a fun trick.

I’m not the best at trick tips, but here’s some stuff that made the process of getting them a bit easier for me:

- A big issue I had was when I would get on the curb and be grinding I’d have trouble getting out of them properly. When I first started trying them I kept my feet over the front and back bolts to ensure that I wouldn’t accidentally pop an ollie on to the curb since it was such a force of habit for me. But the one issue was once I got on to the grind my feet were still over the bolts, making it hard to get off unless I could move my back foot back a bit super quick, which most cases I couldn’t cuz it was all happening so fast. Solution? Just put your foot a bit more back in the pocket of the tail instead of over the back bolts when you’re about to get on, so when you do get on your feet will already be in position to either ollie out or do a quick lil manual out. You just got to tell yourself not to pop when you’re about to get on the curb, which can be a hard habit to break at first if you’re so used to ollieing into 5050s on curbs like I was.

- When I was first doing it, it worked best when I jammed the front truck into it as hard as I can to ensure it gets on, and then as I’m shifting the back truck into the curb I make my back foot weightless so the back truck kinda just glides in from there, if you’re heavy footed on your back foot the back truck is gonna have a hard time gliding on to the curb and you’re just gonna end up Willy grinding.

- My last bit of advice, it’s best to learn them on either a shorter curb or a curb with a slight slant to it. If you try it on a really tall curb that is straight vertical it might make getting on a more grueling process. Make sure not to find a curb that’s too slanted or banked though, you don’t want to be straight up cheating when you’re learning lol, one with just a slight slant will do.

djoekr

• Rep: 324
« Reply #332 on: September 21, 2021, 12:40:35 PM »
I can fs grind and bs crook all fucking day long but the bs grind eludes me. I feel like I'm going to die every time I attempt it.

I can do plenty of fs slappy tricks like 50, front tail, and feeble, but anytime I try to do a bs slappy I feel like it's my first time ever doing them. The only bs curb trick I got is the basic noseslide. I'm trying to get comfortable ollieing bs into curbs, then try to ollie to 5050 and eventually start doing bs slappys once I get the hang of bs grinds.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #333 on: September 21, 2021, 02:35:53 PM »

I saw a Kickstarte/indigogo or some ad for a metal skateboard curb attachment, on my social media last night, anyone seen that?

saw that. it looks like its catered more to kids and less to anyone who wants a makeshift slappy curb. IIRC, theres not a single slappy in the promo video i saw.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #334 on: September 21, 2021, 10:19:46 PM »
I’m having wheel madness.

Can’t decide on which shape or size as there so many pros and cons and different fits for different curbs. Tempted to try 99 f4 og classics, anyone here recommend them for slapping?

scary

• Rep: -7
« Reply #335 on: September 21, 2021, 10:47:49 PM »

Can’t decide on which shape or size as there so many pros and cons and different fits for different curbs. Tempted to try 99 f4 og classics, anyone here recommend them for slapping?

Square shapes the only way. I got some bones spf v5?s that i love

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #336 on: September 22, 2021, 05:24:51 AM »
Just got fs slappies down recently, such a fun trick.

I’m not the best at trick tips, but here’s some stuff that made the process of getting them a bit easier for me:

- A big issue I had was when I would get on the curb and be grinding I’d have trouble getting out of them properly. When I first started trying them I kept my feet over the front and back bolts to ensure that I wouldn’t accidentally pop an ollie on to the curb since it was such a force of habit for me. But the one issue was once I got on to the grind my feet were still over the bolts, making it hard to get off unless I could move my back foot back a bit super quick, which most cases I couldn’t cuz it was all happening so fast. Solution? Just put your foot a bit more back in the pocket of the tail instead of over the back bolts when you’re about to get on, so when you do get on your feet will already be in position to either ollie out or do a quick lil manual out. You just got to tell yourself not to pop when you’re about to get on the curb, which can be a hard habit to break at first if you’re so used to ollieing into 5050s on curbs like I was.

- When I was first doing it, it worked best when I jammed the front truck into it as hard as I can to ensure it gets on, and then as I’m shifting the back truck into the curb I make my back foot weightless so the back truck kinda just glides in from there, if you’re heavy footed on your back foot the back truck is gonna have a hard time gliding on to the curb and you’re just gonna end up Willy grinding.

- My last bit of advice, it’s best to learn them on either a shorter curb or a curb with a slight slant to it. If you try it on a really tall curb that is straight vertical it might make getting on a more grueling process. Make sure not to find a curb that’s too slanted or banked though, you don’t want to be straight up cheating when you’re learning lol, one with just a slight slant will do.
I always find it helps having your feet as far apart as possible, like right on the nose and tail like you would for a wallride-nollie or slappy nosestall, then just slam it in there. Carving in helps loads too.

somefucker

« Reply #337 on: September 22, 2021, 05:33:39 AM »
I always find it helps having your feet as far apart as possible, like right on the nose and tail like you would for a wallride-nollie or slappy nosestall, then just slam it in there. Carving in helps loads too.

biggest trick tip i could give, i see them as highly exaggerated axel stalls at high speed

warmonke

« Reply #338 on: September 22, 2021, 05:38:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

saw that. it looks like its catered more to kids and less to anyone who wants a makeshift slappy curb. IIRC, theres not a single slappy in the promo video i saw.
Yeah seen that, threw up in my mouth. I'd say it's probably catered to people who have no fuckin clue what they're doing rather than just kids.

warmonke

« Reply #339 on: September 22, 2021, 05:41:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Yeah seen that, threw up in my mouth. I'd say it's probably catered to people who have no fuckin clue what they're doing rather than just kids.

Someone genuinely said 'best invention ever!' in the comments, wait til this guy here's about wax

Edit: just occurred to me this might actually be a sophisticated, covert attempt to stop skaters scuffing up curbs

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
« Reply #340 on: September 22, 2021, 05:51:39 AM »
anyone have more insights into backside slappies? i can frontside 50, smith, noseslide, etc like a champ, but everything backside doesn't work at all for me. i've been working on backside noseslides and can get those to kinda work, but backside 50s and crooks will not go.. supposedly those two are the easiest backside ones to learn so i'm starting with those.

I always end up in willy for backside 50s and i cant get into the crooks at all. any tips would be great.

I feel like there's a major part of Slappy technique nobody ever mentions and I refuse to believe I'm the only person who knows about it. It works for frontside and backside and you don't have to have a massive runup or come in on some stupid perpendicular angle.

Basically roll at the curb backside at the last second lean on your toes and let your heel side wheels ride up and get onto of the curb. The second you feel your axles are grinding press down on your heels and level the board out.
For frontside do the opposite so go heel to toe.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
  • Get bent
« Reply #341 on: September 22, 2021, 06:22:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Someone genuinely said 'best invention ever!' in the comments, wait til this guy here's about wax

Edit: just occurred to me this might actually be a sophisticated, covert attempt to stop skaters scuffing up curbs

Fuck it imma grab the downspout off the side of my house and make a curb condom
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

donkey

• Rep: -67
  • donk
« Reply #342 on: September 22, 2021, 07:10:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

awesome it eliminates every single fun feeling about doing a slappy and will probably cost like $200

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2290
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #343 on: September 22, 2021, 07:14:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Fuck it imma grab the downspout off the side of my house and make a curb condom
There was some bullshit "ledge cover" being sold a few years back...probably from the same dudes. If I wanted to skate a metal or fiberglass ledge/curb I'll hit a skatepark fool

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #344 on: September 22, 2021, 07:23:51 AM »
Imagine carrying this thing to your local bus stop or supermarket car park… a.w.k.w.a.r.d.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #345 on: September 22, 2021, 07:38:20 AM »
if you're a little kid, or a parent, or a renter, and you want to have a little curb action right outside your house without screwing up the actual concrete I could see this being appealing

not that i would ever buy it

i guarantee a rub brick and a can of lacquer is way cheaper... and a lot more fun

streetmeat

« Reply #346 on: September 22, 2021, 07:41:39 AM »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 705
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #347 on: September 22, 2021, 08:03:48 AM »
if you're a little kid, or a parent, or a renter, and you want to have a little curb action right outside your house without screwing up the actual concrete I could see this being appealing

i guarantee a rub brick and a can of lacquer is way cheaper... and a lot more fun

rub brick + spray lacquer can also land you a pretty heavy fine and heat out the spot lol just be careful. its also a decent amount of work. but yeah it is a lot more fun, i much prefer the feeling of putting trucks on concrete vs. metal.

idk i could actually use something like this i guess in the sense I really cant be going around fucking up the curbs in my condo complex but it has really nice ground. id say close 99% of the ground in my village is pretty shit compared to the ground in my complex. but i just found a skid with a sheet of plywood nailed to it from work 5' x 3' long and i planned on attaching some angle iron to it but never got around to buying the angle iron. i might skate a little bit more in front of my house if i had it, but i dont think i am missing out on much. that new ledge i did is close enough i can just go there.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2290
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #348 on: September 22, 2021, 08:19:15 AM »
It's all about choosing the right curb, or the one with the best ground and low bust factor.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

TheDingus

« Reply #349 on: September 22, 2021, 10:23:51 AM »
Speaking of slappies, does Jason Adams still skate? He was pretty good at those

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #350 on: September 22, 2021, 10:28:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Square shapes the only way. I got some bones spf v5?s that i love

Been back and forth on 99a f4 Spit tablets and 99a stf V5s and 97a spit conical fulls, prefer the V5s over tablets for sure (opposite for skating angle iron).  What size do you prefer?

streetmeat

« Reply #351 on: September 22, 2021, 11:37:17 AM »

in theory you would think a Spit classic shape in a larger size would be best but i honestly dont think it matters. I tell no difference between the 53 tablets i strictly skate now vs classics in the past.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #352 on: September 22, 2021, 12:51:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

in theory you would think a Spit classic shape in a larger size would be best but i honestly dont think it matters. I tell no difference between the 53 tablets i strictly skate now vs classics in the past.

On some curbs, with spit classics (53) I roll off due to the shape, same curbs with 53/54 tablets, I don't. getting onto curbs with classics is certainly easier, they just roll up; I tend to have really unstable/sloppy grinds with classics and 159+ trucks.

manysnakes

« Reply #353 on: September 22, 2021, 01:13:46 PM »

Is it one of those Blunt Steel thing? I have thought very seriously about buying one. I can imagine rolling into a dry parking garage this winter and getting many hours of fun from such a thing.

manysnakes

« Reply #354 on: September 22, 2021, 01:20:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

rub brick + spray lacquer can also land you a pretty heavy fine and heat out the spot lol just be careful. its also a decent amount of work. but yeah it is a lot more fun, i much prefer the feeling of putting trucks on concrete vs. metal.

idk i could actually use something like this i guess in the sense I really cant be going around fucking up the curbs in my condo complex but it has really nice ground. id say close 99% of the ground in my village is pretty shit compared to the ground in my complex. but i just found a skid with a sheet of plywood nailed to it from work 5' x 3' long and i planned on attaching some angle iron to it but never got around to buying the angle iron. i might skate a little bit more in front of my house if i had it, but i dont think i am missing out on much. that new ledge i did is close enough i can just go there.

That's exactly how I imagine it will be used - places where it's bad form or potentially illegal/violating your HOA agreement to spray and lacquer a curb. Frankly this thing would have been a game changer growing up on my block.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #355 on: September 22, 2021, 02:17:25 PM »

here's my devil-on-your-shoulder answer:

just try 'em all

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #356 on: September 22, 2021, 02:29:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
lmao pretty much

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #357 on: September 22, 2021, 03:06:09 PM »
Found a curb behind the Starbucks on my campus near the dumpsters. It's coated in this thick ass super-smooth red paint.
The first time I stumbled across it I didn't have any wax on me but had a full-on session with all the grinds and slides etc. The second time I brought wax and I have never skated something so buttery in my life, park or street.

Perfectly rounded but not too rounded. Starbucks workers gave me a thumbs up. Lookin good so far just hope the one rude security guard doesn't harass me.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 556
« Reply #358 on: September 22, 2021, 05:31:12 PM »

I can. I ride 53/99 f4 classics for everything(except crust). Perfectly fine for slaps fo me. Although to be honest I ride 56 plain janes on my roll around town board and they’re fine for them as well.
So short answer, it really doesn’t matter the size/ shape really.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #359 on: September 22, 2021, 05:58:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I can. I ride 53/99 f4 classics for everything(except crust). Perfectly fine for slaps fo me. Although to be honest I ride 56 plain janes on my roll around town board and they’re fine for them as well.
So short answer, it really doesn’t matter the size/ shape really.

OG classics?