Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 93102 times)

manysnakes

Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #360 on: September 22, 2021, 06:30:17 PM »

mj23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #361 on: September 22, 2021, 06:56:01 PM »
There’s a ditch in my new neighborhood with some parking blocks installed at the top of the banks in a few spots. I can’t skate the damn things for shit.

Bank-to-curb is a common enough setup, I think, but I’ve never skated one before. This is also my first time really skating a ditch. Tricks that come easy as hell on a normal parking block are much harder when I’m already extended from trying to pump all the way up a ditch bank.

What’s the answer? My current plan is to practice pumping it side to side until I can go fast as shit and hold more speed comfortably. Then I think I’ll still be loose enough to slappy properly at the top instead of having my legs all extended from pumping up the bank.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #362 on: September 22, 2021, 07:18:04 PM »
There’s a ditch in my new neighborhood with some parking blocks installed at the top of the banks in a few spots. I can’t skate the damn things for shit.

Bank-to-curb is a common enough setup, I think, but I’ve never skated one before. This is also my first time really skating a ditch. Tricks that come easy as hell on a normal parking block are much harder when I’m already extended from trying to pump all the way up a ditch bank.

What’s the answer? My current plan is to practice pumping it side to side until I can go fast as shit and hold more speed comfortably. Then I think I’ll still be loose enough to slappy properly at the top instead of having my legs all extended from pumping up the bank.

Start with Rock and Rolls, axle stalls, to get your speed and angles right, then move into boardslides and grinds.

Also, HAUL ASS! Ditches are so fucking fun.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #363 on: September 22, 2021, 07:44:27 PM »
Found a curb behind the Starbucks on my campus near the dumpsters. It's coated in this thick ass super-smooth red paint.
The first time I stumbled across it I didn't have any wax on me but had a full-on session with all the grinds and slides etc. The second time I brought wax and I have never skated something so buttery in my life, park or street.

Perfectly rounded but not too rounded. Starbucks workers gave me a thumbs up. Lookin good so far just hope the one rude security guard doesn't harass me.
Sounds like my dream scenario.
Used to have a smooth red curb like a five minute skate from my moms house in the parking lot of a Walgreens. Back when I used to live there I used to hit it all the time.

The apartment I live in now has no decent red curbs near me at all though unfortunately. Well, there’s one, but security will kick you out after like two tricks. Oh what I would do to have a smooth red curb near my pad to skate again that isn’t a bust, I’d probably rarely skate anywhere else ever again.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 556
« Reply #364 on: September 22, 2021, 07:52:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m having wheel madness.

Can’t decide on which shape or size as there so many pros and cons and different fits for different curbs. Tempted to try 99 f4 og classics, anyone here recommend them for slapping?
[close]

I can. I ride 53/99 f4 classics for everything(except crust). Perfectly fine for slaps fo me. Although to be honest I ride 56 plain janes on my roll around town board and they’re fine for them as well.
So short answer, it really doesn’t matter the size/ shape really.
[close]

OG classics?
Sorry I saw f4 classic. But yes I have. Not since like 96 or 97 though.

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #365 on: September 23, 2021, 03:32:20 AM »

the new park in town has a bank to curb and it eludes me. i see dudes hit it so easily and comfortably but any time i try i get spooked. probably doesn't help that the bank is at a slightly steep incline. coming off the curb back into the bank spooks me

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 705
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #366 on: September 23, 2021, 09:45:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the new park in town has a bank to curb and it eludes me. i see dudes hit it so easily and comfortably but any time i try i get spooked. probably doesn't help that the bank is at a slightly steep incline. coming off the curb back into the bank spooks me

shits not free man, you have every reason to be scared of it. you can get lit up badly on a spot like that. take it 1 step at a time like just set your board up in the 5050 first and try and pop in just like that. if thats too scary just start from tail stall etc. work your way up to it. i always liekd doing even rock > 180 on it to get used to it (that is the first trick i did on the infamous SkyDome bank to curb in Toronto before trying front 5050.  RIP but yeah that spot was very steep + hard to skate)

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #367 on: September 23, 2021, 10:10:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

shits not free man, you have every reason to be scared of it. you can get lit up badly on a spot like that. take it 1 step at a time like just set your board up in the 5050 first and try and pop in just like that. if thats too scary just start from tail stall etc. work your way up to it. i always liekd doing even rock > 180 on it to get used to it (that is the first trick i did on the infamous SkyDome bank to curb in Toronto before trying front 5050.  RIP but yeah that spot was very steep + hard to skate)

Yeah now that I’m having this convo I remember I have skated one bank to curb, at North Hollywood skatepark in LA. It was pretty easy actually but it’s a small mellow bank with smooth ground and a pristine parking block. Totally different than a proper ditch, or even a gnarly skatepark. Now I’m at a filthy Texas ditch that’s like 6 feet tall and has crumbly bits of concrete and trash everywhere, cracks galore, and weeds growing through to boot. Holding speed on something like that is pretty gnarly. Someone poured new concrete details on a few of the obstacles just in the past month or so, which is interesting. Maybe if I yank out weeds and bondo some cracks…

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #368 on: September 23, 2021, 11:15:33 AM »
Since front slaps seem to be elusive for some people, here's the exact words my friend told me that made them start clicking.

"Try to powerslide up the curb"

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #369 on: September 23, 2021, 11:21:37 AM »
Since front slaps seem to be elusive for some people, here's the exact words my friend told me that made them start clicking.

A lot of people have found this tip helpful but I have personally found it counterintuitive lol. When I heard this for the first time I started trying to literally powerslide up the curb and ended up repeatedly bashing the side of my board into the curb and wearing down the axle on one side of that set of trucks. What I think people mean when they say "powerslide up the curb" is imitate the little jump one makes when they powerslide to relieve the weight load on the wheels and allow them to slide sideways.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2290
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #370 on: September 23, 2021, 12:25:20 PM »
I ride classic Spitfire 53mm. No problems getting up on bs slaps and I just sorta learned fs slaps too. My attack was just going straight into the curb and doing a light carve/powerslide. I made sure my front foot was weightless (well as much as I could make it) and as soon as I saw my front truck was on and my shoulders started to be parallel with the curb my back got on and I was grinding with both feet on bolts.

I think the weight distribution is key along with figuring out if you want carve into it or just straight bash the thing.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Landmine

• Rep: 185
« Reply #371 on: September 23, 2021, 12:35:25 PM »

This is how I managed to get on the parking block I set up in my driveway.  Feels weird as fuck and definitely not the smooth steezed way to do it, but it gets you up there.  Powerslide at the curb and rock back just a tad then rock forward.

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #372 on: September 23, 2021, 01:54:28 PM »
Got backside and frontside slappies on lock now, any suggestion on which slappy to learn next? I’ve been trying frontside smith but I always end up gaining traction and rolling off the curb.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #373 on: September 23, 2021, 01:57:28 PM »
Got backside and frontside slappies on lock now, any suggestion on which slappy to learn next? I’ve been trying frontside smith but I always end up gaining traction and rolling off the curb.

Switch fs and bs

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #374 on: September 23, 2021, 02:08:38 PM »
For me the next ones were back crook and boardslide to hurricane (if you have a long enough parking block/double sided curb). Slappy 50 to 180 off is another fun one. Also boardslide to smith and boardslide to 5-0.

Still working on all of these. I’ve landed most at least once or twice, some more than that, but they’re all inconsistent at best, and some I can only get on one particularly well-suited curb but nowhere else.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1388
« Reply #375 on: September 23, 2021, 03:29:46 PM »
Crook, backside feeble, Doing variations of crooks, crook shuv, crook to fakie...

manysnakes

« Reply #376 on: September 23, 2021, 05:58:43 PM »
Slappy crooks are one that everything thinks is super cool and hard but I assure you is one of the easiest tricks you can do

Maccat

• Rep: 79
« Reply #377 on: September 23, 2021, 06:40:26 PM »
Have both tablets and classics, classics have the upper hand. Round shape is perfect.

Feet over the bolts, come in hot on angle. Think frontside grind on a mini. Having feet over bolts can naturally help the trucks bonk.

Best feeling trick. Faster the better.

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #378 on: September 24, 2021, 01:57:39 AM »
Slappy crooks are one that everything thinks is super cool and hard but I assure you is one of the easiest tricks you can do

I'm still recovering from ACL recon on my front leg, and I'm terrified of crashing into the curb for a crooked grind... I know in my head that there's no real difference from any other slappy but damn I already know that trick is gonna be a challenge for me.

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #379 on: September 24, 2021, 06:36:15 AM »

easiest slappy trick to get into, hardest to get out of, unless you go to fakie

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #380 on: September 24, 2021, 09:08:42 AM »
Random somewhat slappy related dumb question. Can a regular brick be used to prime a curb, rather than a rub brick? I have some laying around the yard and don’t wanna spend $20 on a rub brick.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 705
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #381 on: September 24, 2021, 10:38:12 AM »
Random somewhat slappy related dumb question. Can a regular brick be used to prime a curb, rather than a rub brick? I have some laying around the yard and don’t wanna spend $20 on a rub brick.

yes but it is much harder on your hands and takes a lot more work to achieve the same effect, also a lot messier to sweep up . rub brick with handle is just easy to use butyou could probably use a stone tbh and it would work a rub brick is just the most ideal thing besides a grinder with a diamond cup wheel as far as i have researched. rub brick is more aggressive than a normal brick. and evne a rub brick with handle can be hard on your hands after doing a full ledge solo

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #382 on: September 24, 2021, 02:17:21 PM »
i used a regular brick it just takes more elbow grease but turned out fine

FUBAR

• Rep: 247
« Reply #383 on: September 24, 2021, 02:52:04 PM »
On the Classics vs. Tablet issue I will weigh in: I was turning my left side Tablets into Classics (rounding off the edges) from a lot of backside slappies. I got a set of Classics when the Tablets were done. They good!

disclosed

• Rep: 188
« Reply #384 on: September 25, 2021, 08:48:08 AM »
i feel sorry for they guy asking about the OG Classics and everyone thinking he means Classics.. it's not the same.

i read you have had tablets, so maybe seeing them side by side can help you make up your mind.
left are 55mm OG Classics / right are 54mm Tablets

they are just as square on the edges, only the OG classics are slightly wider covering the nut a little more. might save you some wear on the nut from missed slappys. your hanger might feel a tiny bit shorter too.
other than that i can't imagine or feel any distinct diffrence. they roll up and lock in the same for me.

FUBAR

• Rep: 247
« Reply #385 on: September 25, 2021, 11:58:53 AM »
Shit yeah, didnt see “OG Classics”. Huge difference from Classics.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 556
« Reply #386 on: September 25, 2021, 08:08:49 PM »
i feel sorry for they guy asking about the OG Classics and everyone thinking he means Classics.. it's not the same
Oh shit. I completely forgot about that shape. Was thinking the old formula. Sorry @Xen!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #387 on: September 25, 2021, 10:31:28 PM »
i feel sorry for they guy asking about the OG Classics and everyone thinking he means Classics.. it's not the same.

i read you have had tablets, so maybe seeing them side by side can help you make up your mind.
left are 55mm OG Classics / right are 54mm Tablets

they are just as square on the edges, only the OG classics are slightly wider covering the nut a little more. might save you some wear on the nut from missed slappys. your hanger might feel a tiny bit shorter too.
other than that i can't imagine or feel any distinct diffrence. they roll up and lock in the same for me.

G’nard

logjammin

• Rep: 355
« Reply #388 on: September 26, 2021, 05:18:47 AM »
I've been able to front side slappy easily and sometimes hold a 5-0 or tweak it into a Smith but that's all I've been able to learn in my years of slappies. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do anything backside, let alone just get into a backside grind. Which is weird because on coping I'm backside all day and am too scared to do anything frontside beyond a fs slash.

kilgoret

• Rep: -35
« Reply #389 on: September 26, 2021, 08:10:06 AM »

i think it depends on the curb to be honest. if its a but higher, with no slant whatsoever, definitely not the case.