Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91281 times)

Sneezer1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #450 on: December 23, 2021, 12:15:37 AM »
how tf does one “truly support” skating a curb

There are companies that mainly sponsor vert skaters and make boards that accommodate vert, strictly street companies that don’t even have a rider  that skate over a 8.1. Supporting curb skating would be Companies that sponsor curb skaters and support and promote curb skating

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #451 on: December 23, 2021, 02:37:54 AM »
“Why skate there? It’s just curbs with asphalt ground?”
-some 20-something the other day at the skate park when someone asked if he wanted to go to the curb spot.
Curbs aren’t for everyone. Parking lot pimpin, pimpin.

somefucker

« Reply #452 on: December 23, 2021, 04:11:58 AM »
Whatever board you’re riding is perfect for them. Pigs? Yes. Popsicle in 7.5? Yes. Anything and everything in between? Yes.

what do you think this is? some forum for a toy based on free thought and expression? foh.

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #453 on: December 23, 2021, 07:29:23 AM »
the masculine urge to use a 'normal' setup as a curb rider

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #454 on: December 23, 2021, 09:21:43 AM »
the masculine urge to use a 'normal' setup as a curb rider
Oh stop. If people want to ride their specialty boards then ride them. Some of us just don’t like them. It’s fine either way, really who cares

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1262
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #455 on: December 23, 2021, 09:57:29 AM »
did anyone else learn back slappies first, not understand front side, have them click, and completely lose back slappies without lifting the front truck

somefucker

« Reply #456 on: December 23, 2021, 09:59:23 AM »
did anyone else learn back slappies first, not understand front side, have them click, and completely lose back slappies without lifting the front truck

can do bs slappies fine, fs I have to go at nearly 90 degree angle and much faster. a lot of time front truck slips off halfway thru grind

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #457 on: December 23, 2021, 10:01:13 AM »

yes. back slappies which used to be easier, now feel more foreign than front

streetmeat

« Reply #458 on: January 30, 2022, 05:22:52 PM »
was on the hunt for a new spot while i was injured. struck gold here. unreal night vibes. plan on rubbin’ and saucin’ at least 3 more sections and taking care of the cracks.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #459 on: January 30, 2022, 05:29:00 PM »
You're doing the Lord's work streetmeat, looks like such a fun spot. My slappy spot was recently demolished in a revitalization project. Ripskis  :'(
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1405
« Reply #460 on: January 30, 2022, 06:58:50 PM »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #461 on: January 31, 2022, 01:31:55 AM »
was on the hunt for a new spot while i was injured. struck gold here. unreal night vibes. plan on rubbin’ and saucin’ at least 3 more sections and taking care of the cracks.

Excalibur!
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #462 on: January 31, 2022, 05:09:59 AM »

manysnakes

« Reply #463 on: January 31, 2022, 06:57:20 AM »
I ride 149s and I’m already annoyed when my wheels straddle the curbs you find next to grass. 215s with tiny wheels would be that much more aggravating. Also I don’t like hitting rocks. But rails are fun

Yeah, the widest trucks I use are 159 and those are almost too big for my regular slappy spot. Indy 144s with Spitfire Classic wheels actually let me perfectly lock in on all the double-sided curbs in my area.

I did the whole thing with the wide board a few years ago, when I started skating again in earnest, and really learning how to slappy. After a while, I realized that I could do more or less everything I wanted to do just as well or better on an 8.25".

streetmeat

« Reply #464 on: January 31, 2022, 07:20:57 AM »
Expand Quote
I ride 149s and I’m already annoyed when my wheels straddle the curbs you find next to grass. 215s with tiny wheels would be that much more aggravating. Also I don’t like hitting rocks. But rails are fun
[close]

Yeah, the widest trucks I use are 159 and those are almost too big for my regular slappy spot. Indy 144s with Spitfire Classic wheels actually let me perfectly lock in on all the double-sided curbs in my area.

I did the whole thing with the wide board a few years ago, when I started skating again in earnest, and really learning how to slappy. After a while, I realized that I could do more or less everything I wanted to do just as well or better on an 8.25".

the whole specific ‘curb setup’ board feels so gimmicky. people always ask me if i have a specific curb setup. i can do everything perfectly fine on my standard setup, even with Spit Tablet wheels.

manysnakes

« Reply #465 on: January 31, 2022, 07:33:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

the whole specific ‘curb setup’ board feels so gimmicky. people always ask me if i have a specific curb setup. i can do everything perfectly fine on my standard setup, even with Spit Tablet wheels.

The main issue I have with it is that it doesn't really seem to offer much of an advantage over a fairly conventional skateboard. I honestly don't really understand how it came to be accepted wisdom that you need a special deck with special wheels and extra-wide trucks for this kind of thing, but ultimately I don't care and I think most people just enjoy assembling and possessing unique skateboards, which is fine.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1500
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #466 on: January 31, 2022, 09:01:19 AM »
I can do slappies with a regular 8 popsicle with 50mm wheels, but when it comes to trying new variations or just learning the basics, my curb specific setups helped me immensely for whatever reasons.

Mentally or for confidence, it helps me get to where I want to go. I'm not going to knock anyone else that needs that, too.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #467 on: January 31, 2022, 11:10:55 AM »

SPLOOSH!

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #468 on: February 01, 2022, 06:12:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The main issue I have with it is that it doesn't really seem to offer much of an advantage over a fairly conventional skateboard. I honestly don't really understand how it came to be accepted wisdom that you need a special deck with special wheels and extra-wide trucks for this kind of thing, but ultimately I don't care and I think most people just enjoy assembling and possessing unique skateboards, which is fine.
I think you’ve found the answer- setting up boards is fun. I wish I had reasons to do it more often but I can’t justify it for myself.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #469 on: February 01, 2022, 07:26:49 PM »
My best "slappy setup" in terms of consistency was 55mm Formula Four classics on Venture 5.8s. I fucked hated it for everything but that. I think the big boards are cool and would never question someone skating one for slappys. My Ace 55s are a lot more fun at the curb spot, even if I get tossed trying nose grinds

I think maybe the animosity people have to the "slappy setup" is that it's corny. Once I could stand on a frontside one on my indy 149s I thought "well, I could do this on anything"
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #470 on: February 01, 2022, 07:37:44 PM »
I set up a cruiser/slappy board for fun, but I pull out my normal set up just as often. Either way, I’m having a good session.

Also, I just hit axle for the first time on my trucks. Pretty proud. Not switching them out, they’re perfectly grooved right now.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #471 on: February 01, 2022, 08:08:37 PM »
I can do slappies with a regular 8 popsicle with 50mm wheels, but when it comes to trying new variations or just learning the basics, my curb specific setups helped me immensely for whatever reasons.

Mentally or for confidence, it helps me get to where I want to go. I'm not going to knock anyone else that needs that, too.

I set up a big old cruiser a month or so ago and only skated it a few times because I really just like my 8.5, but the 2 days I spent jamming curbs on it made my sloppy game make so much more sense
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

stupidfuckface

• Rep: 20
« Reply #472 on: February 02, 2022, 05:06:12 AM »
I have noticed that for me classics make all slappies much easier.  Conicals were messing with the crook variations.  I think the rounded edge of the classics just gets right up on top .

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #473 on: February 02, 2022, 10:31:08 AM »
Set up a dressen eyes slick, always wanted one back in 1991……..

It’s fun for old legs….

I’ve got a couple of set ups, one with conicals ( speed lab slappy hour) & one with bones fatties which are rounded edge.

Rounded edge get on easier, conicals lock in better IMHO
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 12:57:41 PM by Jory4 »

manysnakes

« Reply #474 on: February 02, 2022, 10:43:34 AM »
I have noticed that for me classics make all slappies much easier.  Conicals were messing with the crook variations.  I think the rounded edge of the classics just gets right up on top .

Agreed. The rounded edge definitely makes it a little easier to get over the curb, and the narrower size means my Indy 144s lock in perfectly over a "standard" double-sided curb.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #475 on: February 02, 2022, 12:27:22 PM »
I like more squared wheel for slappies. Curbs out here are so rounded up that classics have a hard time locking in.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #476 on: February 02, 2022, 01:01:48 PM »
I recently switched to conicals and that definitely helps locking in on slappy crooks. There was a little bit of an adjustment, especially on frontside slappies, but it just takes a little bit more lean to ride up.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #477 on: February 02, 2022, 01:52:09 PM »
Been really enjoying my radials for a nice happy medium between a more rounded and square cut. I feel like i can roll over most stuff without them being to bulky if that makes any sense. Got some classic fulls to try out still so i’m hoping that those won’t disappoint!

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #478 on: February 02, 2022, 01:55:56 PM »
Been really enjoying my radials for a nice happy medium between a more rounded and square cut. I feel like i can roll over most stuff without them being to bulky if that makes any sense. Got some classic fulls to try out still so i’m hoping that those won’t disappoint!

I really wanted to go with radials but I couldn't find the right size/duro/color I wanted so I went with conicals. Hoping the next drop has some radials for me though.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #479 on: February 02, 2022, 01:58:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I really wanted to go with radials but I couldn't find the right size/duro/color I wanted so I went with conicals. Hoping the next drop has some radials for me though.
yeah they don’t seem to be all that common. i got the skate like a girl ones but i don’t mind the color, plus i get to support femme skating which is dope. Looks like radial fulls are going to be more common in their drops which is cool :)