Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91218 times)

animalflesh

Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #480 on: February 02, 2022, 02:12:59 PM »

There’s about 20 of these curbs at the garage spot by me… the best thing to get you through winter

g00dB0utd0llaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #481 on: February 02, 2022, 02:33:28 PM »

There’s about 20 of these curbs at the garage spot by me… the best thing to get you through winter

nice slappies homie! what deck is that? looks sick.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #482 on: February 02, 2022, 03:16:57 PM »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #483 on: February 02, 2022, 04:27:48 PM »

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #484 on: February 02, 2022, 05:25:12 PM »
@Thom @Lou Strux good stuff. Always glad to see curbage.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #485 on: February 02, 2022, 06:05:51 PM »

Man that looks fun

animalflesh

« Reply #486 on: February 02, 2022, 07:12:45 PM »
Thanx my dudes

It’s a vision tom groholski skeleton board!

animalflesh

« Reply #487 on: February 02, 2022, 07:25:54 PM »
Rad stuff Lou forgot to say

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #488 on: February 02, 2022, 08:09:11 PM »
Anybody skate round metal-edge curbs 90℅ of the time? My concrete curb spot that I've rub bricked and worked in are too low and right-angled for me to find it fun to slappy (I'll still shove in or hit a fat back nose lol). Metal curbs are funny, they slide nice on aces and indys and leave your hangers brown w rust. I miss California sometimes
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
« Reply #489 on: February 02, 2022, 08:17:33 PM »
Anybody skate round metal-edge curbs 90℅ of the time? My concrete curb spot that I've rub bricked and worked in are too low and right-angled for me to find it fun to slappy (I'll still shove in or hit a fat back nose lol). Metal curbs are funny, they slide nice on aces and indys and leave your hangers brown w rust. I miss California sometimes

In Philly on the streets around some of the rec centers we have those (round, metal edge curbs) but a lot of times they’re really low.  I’d love to find a good one that’s a reasonable height.  I’ve seen good ones in New York and wished I had my board with me. 

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #490 on: February 03, 2022, 08:50:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In Philly on the streets around some of the rec centers we have those (round, metal edge curbs) but a lot of times they’re really low.  I’d love to find a good one that’s a reasonable height.  I’ve seen good ones in New York and wished I had my board with me.
Yeah they’re everywhere in NYC. Some are a lot stickier than you’d expect but some are broken in and a lot of fun. Not quite a “real” slappy in some ways but who cares. You can grind mad far on them when they’re good.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #491 on: February 03, 2022, 08:58:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah they’re everywhere in NYC. Some are a lot stickier than you’d expect but some are broken in and a lot of fun. Not quite a “real” slappy in some ways but who cares. You can grind mad far on them when they’re good.

Not real cause it’s metal?

animalflesh

« Reply #492 on: February 04, 2022, 04:35:37 AM »
Yeah technically it has to be concrete I guess

But I like those NYC metal curbs as much as anybody

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #493 on: February 04, 2022, 07:24:17 AM »
Cali banked curbs are easier imo. Right angle stone joints are ankle killers
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #494 on: February 04, 2022, 07:47:14 AM »
Expand Quote
how tf does one “truly support” skating a curb
[close]

This is how.

There are companies that mainly sponsor vert skaters and make boards that accommodate vert, strictly street companies that don’t even have a rider  that skate over a 8.1. Supporting curb skating would be Companies that sponsor curb skaters and support and promote curb skating

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #495 on: February 04, 2022, 09:12:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

partially that, but even more because they're so round. not that i'm trying to gatekeep or anything, i skate rounded-ass texas curbs all the time now and it's still fun. enjoy whatever's around

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #496 on: February 04, 2022, 09:25:37 AM »
Man I miss living in the city sometimes. I had a couple perfect granite curbs with the slightest round edge along the sidewalks at the corner of my block. Even had a storm drain on the one side of the street I would hit like a death box.
They were probably 80 yrs old and had been painted 20 times or more over the years. I kept it waxed with the perfect patina and it was just an absolute beauty to bash into.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #497 on: February 04, 2022, 09:36:11 AM »
That was lovely Lou

I have a new goal for this spring after watching this clip:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZhCdGOKnxS/?utm_medium=copy_link

I think I've got it thou.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #498 on: February 04, 2022, 09:58:45 AM »
As someone who's never ridden an egg, do they have benefits for curb skating you don't get with more standard shapes? I want to try one but the tiny pointy noses sort of freak me out.

I could see having the widest point in the center, you have a lot of freedom for combos and you aren't going to catch a "corner" of the deck going in/out of hurricanes or feebles. Is there more to it?

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #499 on: February 04, 2022, 10:14:38 AM »
As someone who's never ridden an egg, do they have benefits for curb skating you don't get with more standard shapes? I want to try one but the tiny pointy noses sort of freak me out.

I could see having the widest point in the center, you have a lot of freedom for combos and you aren't going to catch a "corner" of the deck going in/out of hurricanes or feebles. Is there more to it?

I only learned slappies less than a year ago and my bag is limited, but I've tried 2 egg/football shape and find no added benefit to curb skating. In fact, it's kind of limiting for me because I can't really do lines with an egg, no slappy, flat, slappy, flat, etc. rather just ride my 8.5 with 159s.

I don't know nothing though. Poppa Lou knows the deal
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #500 on: February 04, 2022, 10:33:52 AM »
I don’t notice benefits to any shape profile, personally.
A slappy is pretty rudimentary and doesn’t much care if your tips are square or pointy.
For me, wheelbase & deck/truck widths are more noticeable when skurbing.
I ride shaped decks most of the time because I’m stuck in the early 90s mentally, not because they have appreciable benefits to my skating beyond an aesthetic appeal.
But tha’s jus’ me.
Shalo… er, have a great weekend, y’all!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #501 on: February 04, 2022, 11:51:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
partially that, but even more because they're so round. not that i'm trying to gatekeep or anything, i skate rounded-ass texas curbs all the time now and it's still fun. enjoy whatever's around

From the Jenkem article reviewing different types of curbs in NYC

ROUNDED METAL CURB
Under the weight of mounds of garbage, lost tourists, and Times Square characters, you’ll find these types of curbs across the entire city.

There’s always a kid that claims they’re nice with their slappy skills, but then they bring you to these and you see why they can “do” so many slappies.

“I can slappy” in this case can be translated to “I cannot,” so whenever someone says “I can slappy crooked grind,” what they really mean is “I cannot crooked grind.” But if you can only “slappy” on a curved metal curb, then you can’t even really slappy, and that’s double embarrassing.

If you don’t have these kinds of curbs in your city and you want one (I don’t know why you would) they’re pretty easy to make. Just get a couple of old soup cans, cut them in half, and use some Liquid Nails to attach them to the curb in front of your house.

https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2021/07/12/intern-review-new-york-city-curbs/

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #502 on: February 04, 2022, 12:11:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I only learned slappies less than a year ago and my bag is limited, but I've tried 2 egg/football shape and find no added benefit to curb skating. In fact, it's kind of limiting for me because I can't really do lines with an egg, no slappy, flat, slappy, flat, etc. rather just ride my 8.5 with 159s.

theyre worse for nose and tail slides (less surface area), but maybe easier for some of that other stuff. they tip over less on shoves because the weight is more centered in the middle.

but in terms of curbs specifically the biggest benefit i've seen having some taper over the trucks with more width in the middle. it allows you to carve a little deeper without getting wheelbite. so if you want to run super loose trucks it could be helpful. opinions vary on whether looser trucks slappy better but i kinda think they do.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #503 on: February 04, 2022, 02:17:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
theyre worse for nose and tail slides (less surface area), but maybe easier for some of that other stuff. they tip over less on shoves because the weight is more centered in the middle.

but in terms of curbs specifically the biggest benefit i've seen having some taper over the trucks with more width in the middle. it allows you to carve a little deeper without getting wheelbite. so if you want to run super loose trucks it could be helpful. opinions vary on whether looser trucks slappy better but i kinda think they do.

Thanks everyone. I just set up an Antihero Blue Meanie as a cruiser/curb board so i'll stick with that for now, but maybe there's an egg in my future, just for fun.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
« Reply #504 on: February 04, 2022, 03:10:25 PM »

Hell yeah Lou! I've surprisingly never seen anyone skate the curbs in that corner, but you make it look so easy!

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #505 on: February 05, 2022, 07:30:54 AM »
The best curbs are the ones that are maybe medium height with the slightest bank to em. Really tall and straight 90 degree curbs you feel more manly when you can get onto one but the possibility of not getting on right and just getting pitched forward is pretty high too, at least for me. Always got to be in the mood to possibly eat a bunch of shit when I’m trying one on a taller 90 degree curb hah. With a medium, slightly banked curb you still get that satisfaction from the slappy with less chance of dying, which is why they’re my favorite. If the curb is too low or too banked or round tho that satisfaction feeling starts to go away for the trick, then it feels too easy.

Perfect example when I say a medium sized curb with the slightest bank:

Example of one that is too banked or round, where it wouldn’t feel as satisfying anymore:

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #506 on: February 05, 2022, 08:16:09 AM »
The around red curbs In that second clip are EVERYWHERE in Texas. They’re perfect for driving your f350 right over them and not even noticing. They grind ok too but you can’t really lock in. Good for learning weird combos where you just smoosh the board around, or for surfy pool slash type shit, but ultimately kind of annoying.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #507 on: February 05, 2022, 08:33:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

ROUNDED METAL CURB
Under the weight of mounds of garbage, lost tourists, and Times Square characters, you’ll find these types of curbs across the entire city.

There’s always a kid that claims they’re nice with their slappy skills, but then they bring you to these and you see why they can “do” so many slappies.

“I can slappy” in this case can be translated to “I cannot,” so whenever someone says “I can slappy crooked grind,” what they really mean is “I cannot crooked grind.” But if you can only “slappy” on a curved metal curb, then you can’t even really slappy, and that’s double embarrassing.

If you don’t have these kinds of curbs in your city and you want one (I don’t know why you would) they’re pretty easy to make. Just get a couple of old soup cans, cut them in half, and use some Liquid Nails to attach them to the curb in front of your house.

On the topic of metal curbs:

What do you guys think of the curb cover? I'm sure it's been discussed already but if it did I missed that discussion.

https://www.curb-cover.com/

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #508 on: February 05, 2022, 08:37:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

ROUNDED METAL CURB

[close]

On the topic of metal curbs:

What do you guys think of the curb cover? I'm sure it's been discussed already but if it did I missed that discussion.

https://www.curb-cover.com/

Wank.

People try to sell the stupidest shite.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #509 on: February 05, 2022, 08:52:37 AM »
Agreed. The whole appeal to curbs is accessibility. Maybe a rub brick, lacquer and wax but really, go find one that you don't have to do much to and slappy that thing until it is no longer skateable. Then find another one.

There's a new curb spot near my house, painted and unpainted. I broke in the unpainted section just by skating it without any wax, clear coat etc... and now its the best. Sure, it won't last. They never do.