Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91214 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #540 on: February 10, 2022, 08:56:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
what slappy tricks should i learn next? i have:
fs5050
bs5050
bs feeble (sometimes) 
bs crook
bs noseslide
bs boardslide
[close]

FS noseslides are a lot of fun. I have a hard time with bs noseslides for some reason, but sliding them frontside feels good and in my head they look really stylish (even though they really don’t).
[close]

+1 front noseslides. They're pretty easy and feel so good when you hit one going mach 10 and slide the shit out of a nice red curb. I feel you on back noseslides. I always stick on those and fall out to fakie. I pretty much gave up on them at this point.
[close]
Front nose is a great steezlord trick, up there with front shoves and a few others imo for just being cool af

Back nose on a curb is a funny one, and tail/nose slides in general — if im on a slanted California style curb it will just kinda spit me off to fakie most of the time. It’s hard to lock in on those. If it’s a more squared off curb then that’s a different story.

And some others are talkin bout front crook— I gotta be feeling mad limber to get those for some reason, even tho back crooks are my consistent go-to. And when I do pop up, I often find myself doing more of a slappy nose grind instead. Not sure why. Just one of those weird asymmetrical quirks of my own body/movement I guess.

Finding that sweet spot angle coming in to the curb has been my problem with backside noseslides. Can't come in too parallel because turning frontside onto the curb is so awkward. Can't come in too perpendicular because you won't slide.

realbasedgod112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #541 on: February 10, 2022, 07:44:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
what slappy tricks should i learn next? i have:
fs5050
bs5050
bs feeble (sometimes) 
bs crook
bs noseslide
bs boardslide
[close]

FS noseslides are a lot of fun. I have a hard time with bs noseslides for some reason, but sliding them frontside feels good and in my head they look really stylish (even though they really don’t).
[close]

+1 front noseslides. They're pretty easy and feel so good when you hit one going mach 10 and slide the shit out of a nice red curb. I feel you on back noseslides. I always stick on those and fall out to fakie. I pretty much gave up on them at this point.
sweet as, next time i can skate the curb spot i'll give front noses a shot
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #542 on: February 10, 2022, 07:46:04 PM »
how can i fill in cracks in curbs? not talking about the gaps between different sections of concrete, but little cracks like the ones flowers sometimes grow through.
i've been filling it in with wax, but it doesn't work the best and also uses wax
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Lhotse’s Pit of Death

• Rep: -429
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #543 on: February 11, 2022, 07:20:28 AM »
how can i fill in cracks in curbs? not talking about the gaps between different sections of concrete, but little cracks like the ones flowers sometimes grow through.
i've been filling it in with wax, but it doesn't work the best and also uses wax
I use Bondo for curb repairs. Just make sure it’s a hot day/have artificial means of heat like a blow dryer or it will not dry. Once it’s hardened you can brick-clean-lacquer.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #544 on: February 12, 2022, 04:16:57 PM »
Just picked up a new rub brick, scraper, and can of clear enamel (Home Depot was out of clear lacquer). Going to try and get some work done while everyone’s distracted by the super bowl tomorrow…

FROTHY

« Reply #545 on: February 12, 2022, 07:39:59 PM »
Going to enjoy my Sunday with the sole intention of slappying curbs over and over again

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1500
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #546 on: February 13, 2022, 04:38:04 PM »
I just found my favorite brush on formula. I did two thick coats two hours apart yesterday in broad daylight with at least two cop cars passing by on the busy road nearby without raising an alarm.

Today, I applied some wax and it's almost too slick. I'll update on the durability but for now, this is the best curb I've fixed.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-Polycrylic-32-fl-oz-Satin-Water-based-Polyurethane/999913687

FROTHY

donkey

• Rep: -67
  • donk
« Reply #548 on: February 13, 2022, 07:23:50 PM »
so i brought a basic parking curb to my local in april last year and now its pretty beat up. there is a pallet of them outside in my condo complex rn. kinda thinking i should pull a quick heist late at night with the buddy's truck but it would be an intense deal. kinda like a "dont shit where you eat" type thing. what do you guys think

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #549 on: February 13, 2022, 07:43:21 PM »
so i brought a basic parking curb to my local in april last year and now its pretty beat up. there is a pallet of them outside in my condo complex rn. kinda thinking i should pull a quick heist late at night with the buddy's truck but it would be an intense deal. kinda like a "dont shit where you eat" type thing. what do you guys think

Definitely risky. I grabbed a parking block from my work parking lot and was looking over my shoulder for a couple weeks after…

cky enthusiast

« Reply #550 on: February 13, 2022, 07:44:26 PM »
flow your homie some weed/beer to rack it themselves on ur behalf. ez pz

manysnakes

« Reply #551 on: February 13, 2022, 07:48:30 PM »

Maybe check at a building being demoed. I’ve definitely seen them before just getting ground into dust like the rest of the concrete. I doubt anyone would care if you hauled one off.

animalflesh

« Reply #552 on: February 18, 2022, 11:05:18 AM »
Does anyone skate random unfinished parking lot edges and shit like that as well as curbs?

I was messing around on this one today

aàáâäæãå

• Rep: -2
« Reply #553 on: February 18, 2022, 11:48:01 AM »
Yes, we had an island like that near our local. You might want to try a “wallie” transfer on that bad girl if you haven’t already.

disclosed

• Rep: 186
« Reply #554 on: February 18, 2022, 11:58:26 AM »
Does anyone skate random unfinished parking lot edges and shit like that as well as curbs?

I was messing around on this one today

thats pretty much what curbs look like in my country.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #555 on: February 18, 2022, 12:11:40 PM »

Have the homie with the truck do it for you and toss em some cash/beer/weed or something

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #556 on: February 18, 2022, 12:27:05 PM »
Anybody got slappy back tails? I watched that Brianna Delaney edit that Orchard spotlighted the other day and there's a slo-mowed back tail that made me think I might could get them too.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #557 on: February 18, 2022, 12:29:52 PM »
Anybody got slappy back tails? I watched that Brianna Delaney edit that Orchard spotlighted the other day and there's a slo-mowed back tail that made me think I might could get them too.

yeah but it's kinda more like a slappy 5-0 to back tail, it's hard as shit to sit on them, and hard to come out to forwards. I think the only way to make it not 5-0 to back tail would be to actually catch a miniscule amount of air from your back truck bashing the curb.

FROTHY

« Reply #558 on: February 18, 2022, 01:16:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah but it's kinda more like a slappy 5-0 to back tail, it's hard as shit to sit on them, and hard to come out to forwards. I think the only way to make it not 5-0 to back tail would be to actually catch a miniscule amount of air from your back truck bashing the curb.

Jeremie Daclin does them on the Lyon tootsie roll. Obviously there's a tiny bit of tranny he uses like a qp, but I think this is the way to go. If you have a full 90 degree curb, you'll probably have to do a real 5050 slappy and turn into tail.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZHip9LBd84/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

skunty

« Reply #559 on: February 18, 2022, 02:20:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Jeremie Daclin does them on the Lyon tootsie roll. Obviously there's a tiny bit of tranny he uses like a qp, but I think this is the way to go. If you have a full 90 degree curb, you'll probably have to do a real 5050 slappy and turn into tail.

This is what mine looked like when I first learned them on real curbs 10 months ago. My favorite obstacle for slappy back tail is a bank to curb... it's the perfect trick for it, but I'd have to dig through my phone for footage.
from r/OldSkaters

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #560 on: February 18, 2022, 02:31:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The way Jeremie does them is what I was thinking. I'm fried and the clip I was thinking of wasn't slowed down but I hit it with the 0.25 and watched it at least 10 times. Here it is @0:16
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

skunty

« Reply #561 on: February 18, 2022, 02:33:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
The way Jeremie does them is what I was thinking. I'm fried and the clip I was thinking of wasn't slowed down but I hit it with the 0.25 and watched it at least 10 times. Here it is @0:16

not to debate trick names but that's a nollie back tail in my book 

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #562 on: February 18, 2022, 02:40:25 PM »
Maybe so. I wouldn't call it strictly nollie since it's not popped but she's definitely using the nose so you may have a point. I think of it more as a zhuzh but that term may be meaningless outside of my head.

Gonna try your 50-50 to back tail too. Love a good front 50 to tail so maybe backside will work out too?

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #563 on: February 18, 2022, 02:57:01 PM »
Backside is pretty easy, you got it for sure,
I learned feeble to back tail before the straight 5050 though.

skunty

« Reply #564 on: February 18, 2022, 05:25:20 PM »
Maybe so. I wouldn't call it strictly nollie since it's not popped but she's definitely using the nose so you may have a point. I think of it more as a zhuzh but that term may be meaningless outside of my head.

Gonna try your 50-50 to back tail too. Love a good front 50 to tail so maybe backside will work out too?

people call tricks without pop slappy to gatekeep, I call say tricks with no truck bash aren't slappy to gate keep. the tricks that don't fit either standard I typically think of as being mostly illegal, but that clip you posted was tight cuz of how he used the spot with the tight passage on the roll away.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #565 on: February 19, 2022, 03:01:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

people call tricks without pop slappy to gatekeep, I call say tricks with no truck bash aren't slappy to gate keep. the tricks that don't fit either standard I typically think of as being mostly illegal, but that clip you posted was tight cuz of how he used the spot with the tight passage on the roll away.

I would totally call it a nollie back tail, and the way she did it at that spot was very cool. But doing them like that is cool on any curb.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

manysnakes

« Reply #566 on: February 19, 2022, 09:16:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I agree. I'll never bother to get upset about it, but if you are lifting your nose or tail, it's not slappy. That doesn't make the trick any more or less cool or difficult, and lord knows I have a bag of tricks I do this way. But those tricks aren't slappys.

animalflesh

« Reply #567 on: February 19, 2022, 09:31:34 AM »
Yes, we had an island like that near our local. You might want to try a “wallie” transfer on that bad girl if you haven’t already.

I’ve done em but not here, next time!

For the record I powerslide into my backtails on curbs… no truck touch

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #568 on: February 20, 2022, 03:59:25 PM »

Is this anything?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #569 on: February 20, 2022, 04:12:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I agree. I'll never bother to get upset about it, but if you are lifting your nose or tail, it's not slappy. That doesn't make the trick any more or less cool or difficult, and lord knows I have a bag of tricks I do this way. But those tricks aren't slappys.

We always called them 1 2 slides(1:huck 2:slide) definitely not a nollie. We did those in the 80s before noses/nollies were around.