Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 93011 times)

animalflesh

Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #570 on: February 20, 2022, 08:37:51 PM »
This is silly but fun

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #571 on: February 21, 2022, 06:22:00 AM »
This is silly but fun

killing it as per usual.

animalflesh

« Reply #572 on: February 22, 2022, 09:57:50 AM »
Thanks my dude (:

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1509
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #573 on: February 22, 2022, 10:14:27 AM »
Skating is supposed to be silly and fun. You nailed it.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #574 on: February 22, 2022, 02:30:13 PM »

Noodle blocks

skunty

• Rep: 75
« Reply #575 on: February 22, 2022, 02:41:27 PM »

Noodle blocks

bro that's sick. greenwood indiana skatepark has a C-shaped curb, and I think that hunger skateparks made an S shaped curb at another park that I saw on IG. I liked the greenwood curb so much I built myself a C-shaped curb for my basement. it's 8 feet long, 8 inches high, 8 inches wide, and has 105 degree slappy face. Not gonna lie it's pretty fucking tough to skate so not really the curb to learn new tricks on. If I build another I'll make it probably 6 inches tall and 6 inches wide, maybe 110-115 degree angle. Here's a clip of it

from r/OldSkaters

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #576 on: February 22, 2022, 05:19:09 PM »
Expand Quote

Noodle blocks
[close]

bro that's sick. greenwood indiana skatepark has a C-shaped curb, and I think that hunger skateparks made an S shaped curb at another park that I saw on IG. I liked the greenwood curb so much I built myself a C-shaped curb for my basement. it's 8 feet long, 8 inches high, 8 inches wide, and has 105 degree slappy face. Not gonna lie it's pretty fucking tough to skate so not really the curb to learn new tricks on. If I build another I'll make it probably 6 inches tall and 6 inches wide, maybe 110-115 degree angle. Here's a clip of it

from r/OldSkaters

wild to hear Greenwood park mentioned here. that C curb is a blast…its also spooky

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 556
« Reply #577 on: February 22, 2022, 05:59:17 PM »
This is silly but fun

Silly but fun is the best. Looks good as well.

animalflesh

« Reply #578 on: February 23, 2022, 07:08:05 AM »
thanks dudes

And I agree, the more fun it is the more I enjoy watching it

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #579 on: February 23, 2022, 09:36:16 AM »
This is silly but fun

I think I have something new to learn now  :o

animalflesh

« Reply #580 on: February 23, 2022, 12:39:33 PM »
It’s fun!

Here’s another weird one to celebrate having a setup with a nose

braksabbath

« Reply #581 on: February 23, 2022, 03:57:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Noodle blocks
[close]

from r/OldSkaters

That looks great with the curve. What was the build process like?

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1106
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #582 on: February 24, 2022, 07:34:47 AM »
I’ve been working on this spot a slap pal told me about a few years ago, got about 10 sections sealed and slick.

I wanna build a curb so I guess I better just start building my forms. I probably will do a simple straight one first but the curved options are so cool looking.

skunty

« Reply #583 on: February 24, 2022, 08:36:14 AM »

Well I didn't really know what I was doing so it took 2 attempts (and 3 pours cuz I tried to salvage the first attempt). 1st attempt I was going to try to follow the method shown in this post.

Turns out you have to be really good with concrete to do that and it was obvioulsy not working for me, so mid way through the pour I called an audible and tried to construct a form around the concrete I was already pouring. This wasn't working so I called it quits on pour 1. I thought I could still salvage it by reinforcing the form and pouring on top of what I had poured, but I couldn't properly reinforce the frame because the whole thing was being poured on a tarp and so the 2nd pour failed.

So I went back to the drawing board and just made a form similar to the one in the curbed parking block video above, except mine wasn't upside down cuz I was worried flipping it over would be too hard but that was stupid. If I do it again I'm definitely pouring upside down. The tricky part is having the slappy face sloped (not 90) while also being curved. It required a decent amount of trigonometry and math to figure out - I don't know how detailed you want me to get but basically to make a flat piece of wood into a piece that's bent and sloped to certain specifications, then you have to cut it into a parabolic shape so that when it bends it can be flush with the ground and provide the slope you want. I can go into the math if you wanna know all that. Ultimately my 2nd form still wasn't quite right, the posts that hold up the sides were too far apart still so the form bulged out a bit during the 3rd pour, but it wasn't catastrophic.

skunty

« Reply #584 on: February 24, 2022, 08:40:06 AM »
I’ve been working on this spot a slap pal told me about a few years ago, got about 10 sections sealed and slick.

I wanna build a curb so I guess I better just start building my forms. I probably will do a simple straight one first but the curved options are so cool looking.

damn dude nice bag o tricks

braksabbath

« Reply #585 on: February 24, 2022, 09:32:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well I didn't really know what I was doing so it took 2 attempts (and 3 pours cuz I tried to salvage the first attempt). 1st attempt I was going to try to follow the method shown in this post.

Turns out you have to be really good with concrete to do that and it was obvioulsy not working for me, so mid way through the pour I called an audible and tried to construct a form around the concrete I was already pouring. This wasn't working so I called it quits on pour 1. I thought I could still salvage it by reinforcing the form and pouring on top of what I had poured, but I couldn't properly reinforce the frame because the whole thing was being poured on a tarp and so the 2nd pour failed.

So I went back to the drawing board and just made a form similar to the one in the curbed parking block video above, except mine wasn't upside down cuz I was worried flipping it over would be too hard but that was stupid. If I do it again I'm definitely pouring upside down. The tricky part is having the slappy face sloped (not 90) while also being curved. It required a decent amount of trigonometry and math to figure out - I don't know how detailed you want me to get but basically to make a flat piece of wood into a piece that's bent and sloped to certain specifications, then you have to cut it into a parabolic shape so that when it bends it can be flush with the ground and provide the slope you want. I can go into the math if you wanna know all that. Ultimately my 2nd form still wasn't quite right, the posts that hold up the sides were too far apart still so the form bulged out a bit during the 3rd pour, but it wasn't catastrophic.
Yeah I was messing with a piece of ABS to get an idea for how to do angled + curved and broke my brain. The one sided mold/pour on the ground looks sweet but probably requires a mixer and a lot more skill. One side looks 90 degree angled tho so that makes it less complicated. The first video I posted shows the guy’s form in the beginning and looks pretty attainable with some wood work.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1187
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #586 on: February 24, 2022, 09:50:13 AM »

Seriously, so much style. I can't wait to get some of these...

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 556
« Reply #587 on: February 24, 2022, 10:12:34 AM »
This is old as hell but it’ll help with the forms for straight or curved.

skunty

« Reply #588 on: February 24, 2022, 10:44:40 AM »

god damn I wish I had found that video before I built my curb. I melted my brain trying to figure out the curved sloped surface thing. After I figured it out I can explain it simply, but my method is slightly different from that video. If it were a curved surface that were vertical you would cut a rectangle (4 sides), but for a sloped curved surface it's still 4 sided but a C shape and the arc of the C shape is the same as the arc of your curb's footprint on the ground. The inside arc of the slope will be longer than the outside arc of the slope, but you don't even necessarily have to cut it that way depending on how you're fastening the end piece onto the curved sides.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1509
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #589 on: February 24, 2022, 12:23:22 PM »

This is the video that started me on my path to curb construction. It's gold.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2285
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #590 on: February 24, 2022, 01:46:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Seriously, so much style. I can't wait to get some of these...
I’ve got nice cubs galore, because… California.
What I DON’T got is @144p’s style/smoothness.
At least I’ve got a goal now.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #591 on: February 24, 2022, 03:25:32 PM »

I'm drooling over here!

Coffee

• Rep: 46
« Reply #592 on: February 24, 2022, 03:50:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Noodle blocks
[close]

from r/OldSkaters

[close]

wild to hear Greenwood park mentioned here. that C curb is a blast…its also spooky

I’ve never skated Greenwood park but next time I’m up towards Indy I’m definitely going to check it out.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #593 on: February 25, 2022, 01:08:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I'm drooling over here!

@144p  you Sir are a true slappy king!
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #594 on: February 25, 2022, 06:30:35 AM »
We just got 12-18” of snow. A dry curb looks better than a beach to me right now.

animalflesh

« Reply #595 on: February 25, 2022, 09:22:35 AM »

Hey how do you do that thing where you start off in crook then mush it around into a 5-0?

Do you kinda nudge it up there as you spin your body?

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1106
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #596 on: February 25, 2022, 12:36:59 PM »
The switch version is way easier than regular imo, i hang my heel off, approach the curb at a 20 degree angle and try to be more on top of the curb vs on the outside edge. after a bit of grinding i swing my back arm forward. Almost when i get into the crook i position my body like I'm gonna swing to 5-0. It's hard to articulate, sorry I'm bad at this.

animalflesh

« Reply #597 on: February 25, 2022, 01:07:00 PM »
Thanks that made sense to me

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #598 on: February 26, 2022, 12:59:06 AM »
Walking home from work I bumped into some of the lads from the local curb spot, they were busing in a free standing curb/ledge thingo. It’s been liquid nailed to the ground, anyone have a tip on keeping it still if this don’t work? I was thinking epoxy adhesive

Also Dave/144p I don’t know if you need a guide for the DIY home curb since your garage tf is pretty rockin but I found this video to be spot on to what I’ve tried out

manysnakes

« Reply #599 on: February 26, 2022, 11:07:47 AM »
I really just wish I had a garage workspace like that.

That’s my only takeaway from that video