Author Topic: Toy Machine - Vaccine  (Read 18125 times)

lickcakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • breathcakes
Re: Toy Machine - Vaccine
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2021, 11:07:09 AM »
just wanting to add more positivity here, i loved this. dashawn and cj are weird fits, but it seems to work for the dynamic. loved the soundtrack and really need to spend time with ian mackaye's work.

definitely been a toy machine fan since thps1 (JOAB was my first skate video), which makes sense because i'm an artist. love their music choices, art, animation, even though i'm 33. it's silly and i love that. i still regularly watch programming injection, especially myles' part.

ed has for sure done sketchy shit but toy machine is bigger than he is, and i'm happy about that.

BigPants

• Rep: 2
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2021, 12:32:31 PM »
Going to go against the grain here and say that the laserflip back lip was cool

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2021, 12:33:05 PM »
From a pacing standpoint shouldn't the Braden part  have been first? Braden > Team montage > Dashawn.

Maybe leave the flow kids for a seperate clip.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2021, 01:25:08 PM »

Nope. Having flow kids in your edit is a sick move, especially for an established company. It's rad to get them little dudes and dudettes some time to shine.
ok thanks

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2021, 02:42:09 PM »
People bemoaning the new toy machine are craze. This is the 5th or 6th generation of toy machine. What do heavy metal, jump off a building, berzerker, and suffer the joy have in common?
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

know_your_role

• Rep: 10
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2021, 04:02:50 PM »
dashawn on toy is pretty amusing

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2021, 04:08:13 PM »
People bemoaning the new toy machine are craze. This is the 5th or 6th generation of toy machine. What do heavy metal, jump off a building, berzerker, and suffer the joy have in common?

No little kids section

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2021, 04:44:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nope. Having flow kids in your edit is a sick move, especially for an established company. It's rad to get them little dudes and dudettes some time to shine.

especially when they are hard flipping 16

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2021, 05:12:44 PM »
Reading through these comments is kind of wild.  People hate everything.

One of the only older brands that is able to continuously pull off the same brand aesthetic and style despite so many iterations and different people riding for them.

Ed has been through it all and keeps it going to this day.  Im genuinely curious what brands people who hate toy machine actually like.   Cant fade the Tempster

Edit:  dashawn's noseblunt on that flat white rail was my favorite clip.  Unreal.
where is home?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2021, 05:33:47 PM »
Reading through these comments is kind of wild.  People hate everything.

One of the only older brands that is able to continuously pull off the same brand aesthetic and style despite so many iterations and different people riding for them.

Ed has been through it all and keeps it going to this day.  Im genuinely curious what brands people who hate toy machine actually like.   Cant fade the Tempster

Edit:  dashawn's noseblunt on that flat white rail was my favorite clip.  Unreal.

It’s not that hard to maintain the same aesthetic when one guy does 99% of the art.   However, that one guy has admitted that he’s basically checked out of any day to day ops, so it isn’t quite like it is the same brand.   

I don’t think anyone HATES Toy Machine, I think people revere it enough that they want it to remain a special thing and not just a bunch of good skaters that Nike hooks up and wants to position on board brands they like.   

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2021, 06:00:58 AM »
Expand Quote

I don’t think anyone HATES Toy Machine, I think people revere it enough that they want it to remain a special thing and not just a bunch of good skaters that Nike hooks up and wants to position on board brands they like.
[close]
this.
Call me a boomer but I like when the next project is better than the last. This little video won’t get me hyped like jump off a building. Shoot, I even bought programming inject on dvd after watching it online solely because I liked toy/Ed and it’s not that good in comparison either, but this video doesn’t feel like a toy machine video to me. It’s nice that Ed is kinda giving those ladies a pathway to be the next gens elissa steamer tho. Like this is a good video but not a good toy video, is what I think I’m trying to say.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2021, 08:38:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
this.
Call me a boomer but I like when the next project is better than the last. This little video won’t get me hyped like jump off a building. Shoot, I even bought programming inject on dvd after watching it online solely because I liked toy/Ed and it’s not that good in comparison either, but this video doesn’t feel like a toy machine video to me. It’s nice that Ed is kinda giving those ladies a pathway to be the next gens elissa steamer tho. Like this is a good video but not a good toy video, is what I think I’m trying to say.
[close]

Yeah, but isn't some of this subjective? I was a child when I saw JOAB (it was my first skate video!), so it's going to resonate harder for me than this project. That doesn't make this project inferior - I'm just 35 now.

Don't get me wrong - I'm super guilty of this thinking too. I remember walking out of the Mindfield premiere in 2009 and feeling like, "Yea it was cool but it wasn't Photosynthesis or Mosaic." Obviously, history has proven me wrong and that's a great vid that has aged super well.

Don't even get me started on music.. your favorite band could make the best album of their career tomorrow and it'll never mean as much as the one you had when you were 14. You'll listen to it a handful of times then forget about it - or best case scenario there are one or two tracks that make it onto your Spotify playlists. (I am 100% guilty of this as well.)

Maybe that's a whole other layer of this. I was forced to watch JOAB 4,000,000 times because it was all I had. I'll watch this one... once or twice? How could that even have a fighting chance to win me over in the same way - even if this was 1998 again.

Wanting Toy Machine to call it quits after the video that affected you as young man is kind of a selfish take. Ed Templeton put his whole life into that brand and he should be able to take as far as he wants... it's not on him if you (or I) choose to leave the journey before he's done with it.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2021, 09:33:23 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
this.
[close]

Yeah, but isn't some of this subjective? I was a child when I saw JOAB (it was my first skate video!), so it's going to resonate harder for me than this project. That doesn't make this project inferior - I'm just 35 now.

Don't get me wrong - I'm super guilty of this thinking too. I remember walking out of the Mindfield premiere in 2009 and feeling like, "Yea it was cool but it wasn't Photosynthesis or Mosaic." Obviously, history has proven me wrong and that's a great vid that has aged super well.

Don't even get me started on music.. your favorite band could make the best album of their career tomorrow and it'll never mean as much as the one you had when you were 14. You'll listen to it a handful of times then forget about it - or best case scenario there are one or two tracks that make it onto your Spotify playlists. (I am 100% guilty of this as well.)

Maybe that's a whole other layer of this. I was forced to watch JOAB 4,000,000 times because it was all I had. I'll watch this one... once or twice? How could that even have a fighting chance to win me over in the same way - even if this was 1998 again.

Wanting Toy Machine to call it quits after the video that affected you as young man is kind of a selfish take. Ed Templeton put his whole life into that brand and he should be able to take as far as he wants... it's not on him if you (or I) choose to leave the journey before he's done with it.

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

I just rewatched Joab, suffer the joy, and good and evil after seeing Nos’ post. You’re totally right, both of you. Still I feel like this one is comparable to baker4, pretty sweet, plan b’s true or the newer deathwish video. In the since of a legacy company making a video showcasing their new talent but ultimately you end up watching it like twice and then never again. Again totally subjective.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2021, 09:36:45 AM »
Any Billy Marks footage in there?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2021, 09:40:39 AM »
Not trying to being sexist, but how a male kid can do a hardflip in 17 at 12 and women ollies low bars and can be sponsored.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 982
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2021, 09:44:18 AM »
wow dude thought provoking question

mareo

• Rep: -337
« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2021, 09:58:32 AM »
Not trying to being sexist, but how a male kid can do a hardflip in 17 at 12 and women ollies low bars and can be sponsored.

They're trying to cover the girl's market.

Quote from: I sniff my own butthole all the time
2nd vote would be for PJ. sometimes it is a fine command of the english language to say nothing and he extended that to skating. PJ's plan B part is the emperor's new clothes.

Lurking for the Weekend

• Rep: 0
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2021, 10:00:56 AM »
Not trying to being sexist, but how a male kid can do a hardflip in 17 at 12 and women ollies low bars and can be sponsored here's an aggressively sexist statement.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2021, 10:20:29 AM »

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2021, 10:22:53 AM »
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2021, 10:51:42 AM »

It was a 14. A tall 14, but a 14.
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2021, 10:57:35 AM »

stair counting is so 2020

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2021, 11:28:29 AM »

Got the sexist comment, not even trying."
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2021, 11:36:47 AM »

Always coming in hot with the dumbass takes. It’s actually impressive!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2021, 12:11:44 PM »

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2021, 01:32:01 PM »
Any Billy Marks footage in there?

I laughed

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2021, 01:41:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Always coming in hot with the dumbass takes. It’s actually impressive!

I always forget why I have him on ignore so I click show me the comment and go "oh yeah, that's why"
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

FS_Overcrook

• Rep: 10
« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2021, 05:44:28 PM »
Really enjoyed this one. No complaints at all. Liked the soundtrack too.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2021, 04:50:14 AM »
I know everyone likes the shorter vids but imagined if they held off on releasing programming injection for another year and a half and released it combined with vaccine's footage. Would have felt like a complete team video and been pretty epic with full parts from mostly everyone.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2021, 07:10:30 AM »
I know everyone likes the shorter vids but imagined if they held off on releasing programming injection for another year and a half and released it combined with vaccine's footage. Would have felt like a complete team video and been pretty epic with full parts from mostly everyone.

Would be cool but nowadays it seems like companies are less keen on holding footage for a long time. I think full lengths are just less preferred too like you said. I enjoy them but my buddy who's 19 probably couldn't even make it through a 20 minute video, same with other younger locals