Author Topic: The Rails Thread  (Read 14956 times)

disclosed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 172
Re: The Rails Thread
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2022, 11:09:32 AM »
Does anyone sell single rails instead of pairs?

Also, any guidance for rails on eggs? Do you try to bend the rail a bit? How far in do you screw the rail?

Welcome, Enjoi, OJ, and probably some more sell single rails.
but honestly if you buy a set you can just save the other one for later when you only skate one rail.

i wouln't bend rails on an egg. only times i've bend rails was on very tapered fish shapes.
and you should know when the screws are in all the way, they will hit a dead stop you shoulnt force beyond.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2022, 11:56:40 AM »
Expand Quote

Also, any guidance for rails on eggs? Do you try to bend the rail a bit? How far in do you screw the rail?
[close]

but honestly if you buy a set you can just save the other one for later when you only skate one rail.

i wouln't bend rails on an egg. only times i've bend rails was on very tapered fish shapes.
and you should know when the screws are in all the way, they will hit a dead stop you shoulnt force beyond.

Should've been clearer, how far in from edge of the board do you place the rail, not how deep into the deck do the screws go. I'm sure it depends on the board and the concave though, I should be able to figure it out when my huffer arrives, especially if I'm running a single rail.

disclosed

• Rep: 172
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2022, 12:16:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Should've been clearer, how far in from edge of the board do you place the rail, not how deep into the deck do the screws go. I'm sure it depends on the board and the concave though, I should be able to figure it out when my huffer arrives, especially if I'm running a single rail.

haha. that makes more sense.
what i do with single rail is hold it against a flat edge like a ruler or table and see when its at an angle where it clears the middle of the board so the only point of contact is the rail and the start of the concave on the other side.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2022, 12:43:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

haha. that makes more sense.
what i do with single rail is hold it against a flat edge like a ruler or table and see when its at an angle where it clears the middle of the board so the only point of contact is the rail and the start of the concave on the other side.

Good tip, thanks. Ended up just grabbing a pair of pig rails from the local, had them on discount too.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #154 on: May 06, 2022, 06:55:08 PM »
Update: I'm a full on single toe side rail guy now. any park rail just goes now, don't have to worry about sticking. Definitely worthwhile in my opinion...

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2022, 07:26:19 PM »
Bump, thanks to the user who directed me to this thread.

Do all you guys who are riding rails primarily just use them for curbs or are many of you using them for bowls? I skate transition 99% of the time. Do you think they are useful for skating pool coping?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2022, 08:21:15 PM »
I find rails terrifying when skating transition. They can help on rugged pool coping of course but hell no on smooth pool coping or steel coping. It feels unpredictable just doing a rock to fakie on steel coping.

Curbs and ledges only for the rare occasion I use rails.

But I am old and not into strange new feelings.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2022, 08:25:29 PM »
I find rails terrifying when skating transition. They can help on rugged pool coping of course but hell no on smooth pool coping or steel coping. It feels unpredictable just doing a rock to fakie on steel coping.

Curbs and ledges only for the rare occasion I use rails.

But I am old and not into strange new feelings.

Second this. Rails on a mini ramp really freak me out, a basic rock and roll or disaster can easily turn into an uncontrolled slide. Now some people have really great control/balance and want that, but for me they're strictly for curbs or flatbars.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2022, 09:04:29 PM »
I’m gonna counter the transition fear by saying it helps make a board slide to fakie/lip slide/fakie hang up slide about 10 times farther with no chance of sticking.

Also on disasters, if you are lazy and lean one way or another it makes it tricky but it teaches you to properly pop the trick and stay over your board. If you push your board up there and have a tendency to lean forward on back d’s you will have to spend some time re learning them.

Also smith grinds are much easier, yes it’s a cheat code but I’ll take it.

greenbeans

« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2022, 09:22:57 PM »
Rib bones are my go to.

The enjoi middle finger rail looks tight

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2022, 09:51:17 PM »
I’m gonna counter the transition fear by saying it helps make a board slide to fakie/lip slide/fakie hang up slide about 10 times farther with no chance of sticking.

Also on disasters, if you are lazy and lean one way or another it makes it tricky but it teaches you to properly pop the trick and stay over your board. If you push your board up there and have a tendency to lean forward on back d’s you will have to spend some time re learning them.

Out of all these tricks smith grinds are the only ones i do regularly, does it make a big difference or just a small difference?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #161 on: November 29, 2022, 07:05:31 AM »
For me, yes. If it’s a big coping qp I might grind a foot vs 2 inches. For someone skilled it becomes much farther. On ledges smiths/feebles are much easier as well.

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #162 on: November 29, 2022, 07:11:47 AM »
I’ve been 3D printing some rails and risers and casting them in urethane. Fun little side project. I can control the DU of the castings too. Hopefully will have some field tests soon.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #163 on: November 29, 2022, 08:45:50 AM »
Damn that’s cool. How slick is the material? In my head urethane is grippy but I am not familiar with the different materials.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2022, 09:12:54 AM »

For the record, 144p is the best curb skater i've ever seen and has balance like a young eric dressen.

streetmeat

• Rep: 171
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2022, 09:29:48 AM »
been on rails on year, i dont think i can go back without them. i'm a curb/ledge/flat bar skater and it just makes it so much more fun. just ordered some Lil Jawn 'moth' rails, excited to try em out and see if the shape does anything for me on unlocking some new combos easier.

El Chupacabra

• Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2022, 11:57:31 AM »
Damn that’s cool. How slick is the material? In my head urethane is grippy but I am not familiar with the different materials.

As slick or as hard as you want it. There are tons of options in casting urethanes. I’ve been tinkering with pivot cups and bushings too but there’s only so much time in the day and the materials are expensive! I usually use leftovers from day job tasks.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2023, 12:06:07 AM »
What are some good thicker rails? I usually have Pig rails as I like how they’re shaped, how they look and they have all sorts of colors available. I also like how they’re a bit shorter so I don’t get wheelbite on the rails. But they’re not all that thick so I’d have to put them in quite a bit to have a better slide. Currently i have some recycled plastic rails that are thick as hell. The board is not even close to touching on boardslides. They seem to wear down super fast though and they didn’t come with screws and I can’t remember where I even got them from. So yeah, looking for better options.

I was also wondering if anyone made rails from PLA or some other biodegradable plastic and how would they perform. I’m not too stoked on the microplastic I’m generating sliding around and would be stoked to have a smaller impact on our environment.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2023, 12:44:54 AM »
My little nostalgia project I’ve been skating lately has me wanting to return to my toe side rail madness.

Skating with a buddy today who rocks two rails, semi teaching me the front slappy to lipslide curb dance. I’m getting into the motions fine enough, but would a slimmer tail help with the teeter totter effect I’m getting?

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2023, 01:46:59 AM »
What are some good thicker rails? I usually have Pig rails as I like how they’re shaped, how they look and they have all sorts of colors available. I also like how they’re a bit shorter so I don’t get wheelbite on the rails. But they’re not all that thick so I’d have to put them in quite a bit to have a better slide. Currently i have some recycled plastic rails that are thick as hell. The board is not even close to touching on boardslides. They seem to wear down super fast though and they didn’t come with screws and I can’t remember where I even got them from. So yeah, looking for better options.

I was also wondering if anyone made rails from PLA or some other biodegradable plastic and how would they perform. I’m not too stoked on the microplastic I’m generating sliding around and would be stoked to have a smaller impact on our environment.

A bit pricier, but Rad Railz does a thicker or “fatter” rail. A good color selection too.

Just don’t expect any emails or shipping notices if you order. For whatever reason I never get notifications when I make a purchase.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

luvs2spooge

• Rep: -2
« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2023, 04:04:16 AM »
New Deal rails are back

https://www.longboarderlabs.com/product/new-deal-rails-white/

4 holes and a rounded surface instead of flat. I'm tempted to try these out.

they wear out very very fast. and chunk out very easy at the holes
hemi sync

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2023, 12:36:21 PM »
The screws are too short also.
Just get lil jawns. Slide well, last forever, right size.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2023, 10:01:21 PM »
Someone should distribute Lil Jawns in Europe. I’d be interested in trying them out but the shipping is $19.50 for a pair, which is a bit too much. With the shipping & VAT I’d be paying 43.72€ for a set while Pig rails are 12€. The difference is just way too much.

Deadringer

• Rep: 12
« Reply #173 on: January 23, 2023, 01:33:38 AM »
Someone should distribute Lil Jawns in Europe. I’d be interested in trying them out but the shipping is $19.50 for a pair, which is a bit too much. With the shipping & VAT I’d be paying 43.72€ for a set while Pig rails are 12€. The difference is just way too much.

https://www.scouthutskateboards.com/product/lil-jawns-standard-rails

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #174 on: January 23, 2023, 02:14:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.scouthutskateboards.com/product/lil-jawns-standard-rails

Thanks. That’s in the UK though and with Brexit it would likely end up costing about as much as straight from Lil Jawns. Also they don’t deliver to Finland where I am.

streetmeat

• Rep: 171
« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2023, 06:27:35 AM »
i really hope i can find another set of Slappy Hour rails when mine bite the dust. the 13.5” length is so nice. guess i could shave down some Lil Jawns..

animalflesh

« Reply #176 on: January 23, 2023, 07:07:35 AM »
You can just message the jawns dude he’ll make you literally anything

Plus his rails last like 6 boards

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #177 on: January 23, 2023, 09:20:48 AM »
To all the single rail folks.. without going too far back into the thread, I have a few questions for you.

Heel or toe side on the rail, and do any of you still flip your board? I’m just wondering if the lack of symmetrical weight distribution messes up flip tricks.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2023, 09:21:51 AM »
You can just message the jawns dude he’ll make you literally anything

Plus his rails last like 6 boards

Best rails that I've ever skated by far.  4 holes, 14" so no wheelbite issues, double-sided tape, slide through anything

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2023, 09:25:32 AM »
To all the single rail folks.. without going too far back into the thread, I have a few questions for you.

Heel or toe side on the rail, and do any of you still flip your board? I’m just wondering if the lack of symmetrical weight distribution messes up flip tricks.

Toe side. My flip trick bag isn't as deep as it used to be, but the kickflips and heelflips still work with one rail. I never really noticed a difference but maybe it'll take a session to adjust.