Did Nyjah throw the olympics?

Yes
22 (8.6%)
No
62 (24.2%)
Needed his cocaine
172 (67.2%)

Total Members Voted: 252

Author Topic: UWTB Olympics thread  (Read 50964 times)

SR ACF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -291
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: UWTB Olympics thread
« Reply #780 on: August 06, 2021, 04:19:34 PM »
Anybody else think that judging was WAY off in the mens park qualifiers? Ayumo Hirano got robbed. How Pedro quintas run scored so high compared to his is beyond me. Hirano was so high it was a joy to watch.

Oski seemed a bundle of nerves tho.

BinkyConklinFan

• Rep: 4
« Reply #781 on: August 06, 2021, 04:33:21 PM »
How about you guys, but I found it really hard to watch the Olympics live?

I don't have cable TV so I spent $4.99 on the Peacock app, only to find out they just show reruns on the next day – not the live stream…

Was it difficult for you to watch skating in the Olympics?

I did this too. I was kinda pissed. They still aren't showing the Men's Park stuff? My Coworker was like "yeah it's all on peacock. I wanted to watch Zion and Andy Anderson skate, but I can't even find Highlights.

BinkyConklinFan

« Reply #782 on: August 06, 2021, 04:37:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
lmao Time Magazine trying to roast

https://time.com/6087637/us-beaten-skateboarding-tokyo/
[close]

"maybe the US needs to get young"

Yeah that's totally what we need, another disgusting Olympic youth movement that won't be filled with predators like the Olympic gymnastics program. They can even bring Neal Hendrix back
[close]
i say we go old. get established contest killers like greg lutzka. those kids won’t know what hit em
[close]

We're pulling Kyle Berard off the bench, park gold medal incoming

My money is and will always be on Berard. Or at least $4.99 of it.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #783 on: August 06, 2021, 07:47:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah that's totally what we need, another disgusting Olympic youth movement that won't be filled with predators like the Olympic gymnastics program. They can even bring Neal Hendrix back
[close]
i say we go old. get established contest killers like greg lutzka. those kids won’t know what hit em
[close]

[close]

He was a judge

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #784 on: August 07, 2021, 08:32:57 PM »
Saw this today and it reminded me of the horizontal sack in the street contest.

BinkyConklinFan

« Reply #785 on: August 08, 2021, 07:26:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

He was a judge

Well I mean, that just makes his chances better.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1384
« Reply #786 on: August 08, 2021, 07:46:42 PM »
Well, we talked about skateboarding in the Olympics for years after it was announced way back, and we finally got to see it. So that’s that, and as far as it seems, it doesn’t look like anything really changed for the worse. The camaraderie we possess was showcased on a global, well-respected scale, as well as the tricks and the level of talent skating requires. It’s a shame about the overbearing coach stories mentioned earlier, hopefully that doesn’t become more prevalent. And hopefully it’s included in the Paralympic Games next time, that would be cool.

I do have a question for anyone who was against skating being in Olympics - have you changed your opinion on it, now that it’s over? Was it worse than you thought it would be, or better than you thought?

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
« Reply #787 on: August 08, 2021, 07:48:15 PM »
There anywhere to watch full broadcast or similar?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #788 on: August 08, 2021, 08:42:58 PM »
Well, we talked about skateboarding in the Olympics for years after it was announced way back, and we finally got to see it. So that’s that, and as far as it seems, it doesn’t look like anything really changed for the worse. The camaraderie we possess was showcased on a global, well-respected scale, as well as the tricks and the level of talent skating requires. It’s a shame about the overbearing coach stories mentioned earlier, hopefully that doesn’t become more prevalent. And hopefully it’s included in the Paralympic Games next time, that would be cool.

I do have a question for anyone who was against skating being in Olympics - have you changed your opinion on it, now that it’s over? Was it worse than you thought it would be, or better than you thought?
I guess about the same

SR ACF

• Rep: -291
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #789 on: August 09, 2021, 03:49:07 AM »

I screamed myself hoarse within my native German scene Gary Rogers style when the big brands entered the shoe game and I come from snowboarding where you could see the worst case scenario for skating in fast forward: Olympics brings a sudden peak attention that attracts big brands enough to finally muscle all the way in, pumping crazy money into the industry, killing unflexible and shock-frozen core brands and deluding riders and media on six to seven figure lifestyles - only to pull the plug a couple years later and leave behind an empty shattered husk of an industry that has now lost most of its native core structure and has a bunch of representatives (riders and media) running around trying to somehow keep riding the glorious luxury wave and in the process whoring out the sport's soul even worse etc. etc.

Now, granted, snowboarding is to a large extent inherently whack and was always a soulless rich white boys sport full of cultural appropriation. And the process in skating is reverse wherein the big brands had already firmly penetrated - and I'm using this term intentionally- to the very core of the sport before the olympics came along. But the true effect of this will only be visible in a couple of years looking back. I'm seeing a great risk of contests devolving into glorified best trick acrobatics events. Contest riders overtaking core video riders not only financially but also in terms of impact on the entire sport. It all just shifting more towards competition and athleticism.  Coach jock vibes a la jagger eaton becoming the norm - did yall see this video of him rapping along in the van with his friends post Olympics finals - that's the exact vibe I got from Bear Mtn trustfund blondie boys swagging out to Rick Ross ca. 12 years ago. Thrasher losing its grip in a post phelps vacuum... the whole thing is teetering in a delicate balance. 

Skateboarding is in a much healthier state as a culture than snowboarding was when it got sold out, but don't let the binding-bashing blind you to the fact that up to ca. a decade ago the alpine shredbros had a really big industry of yearly videos with the biggest video part guys completely dictating the trends. And that has all pretty much smoldered to the ground in the years after Nike pulled the plug and the contest jocks took over...

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #790 on: August 10, 2021, 09:25:03 PM »
does anyone know if they are going to sell these hats and jerseys?

i saw they sold some other parra style stuff but these plain ones are nice

What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
« Reply #791 on: August 11, 2021, 04:39:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I screamed myself hoarse within my native German scene Gary Rogers style when the big brands entered the shoe game and I come from snowboarding where you could see the worst case scenario for skating in fast forward: Olympics brings a sudden peak attention that attracts big brands enough to finally muscle all the way in, pumping crazy money into the industry, killing unflexible and shock-frozen core brands and deluding riders and media on six to seven figure lifestyles - only to pull the plug a couple years later and leave behind an empty shattered husk of an industry that has now lost most of its native core structure and has a bunch of representatives (riders and media) running around trying to somehow keep riding the glorious luxury wave and in the process whoring out the sport's soul even worse etc. etc.

Now, granted, snowboarding is to a large extent inherently whack and was always a soulless rich white boys sport full of cultural appropriation. And the process in skating is reverse wherein the big brands had already firmly penetrated - and I'm using this term intentionally- to the very core of the sport before the olympics came along. But the true effect of this will only be visible in a couple of years looking back. I'm seeing a great risk of contests devolving into glorified best trick acrobatics events. Contest riders overtaking core video riders not only financially but also in terms of impact on the entire sport. It all just shifting more towards competition and athleticism.  Coach jock vibes a la jagger eaton becoming the norm - did yall see this video of him rapping along in the van with his friends post Olympics finals - that's the exact vibe I got from Bear Mtn trustfund blondie boys swagging out to Rick Ross ca. 12 years ago. Thrasher losing its grip in a post phelps vacuum... the whole thing is teetering in a delicate balance. 

Skateboarding is in a much healthier state as a culture than snowboarding was when it got sold out, but don't let the binding-bashing blind you to the fact that up to ca. a decade ago the alpine shredbros had a really big industry of yearly videos with the biggest video part guys completely dictating the trends. And that has all pretty much smoldered to the ground in the years after Nike pulled the plug and the contest jocks took over...

Thing is, this has happened in skateboarding at least 2/3 times already.

The only issue I have with the Olympics is that we've been used as a front from World Skate to get rollerblading and all the other "rollersports" in the main spotlight, like we have ever given a fuck.

Skateboarding will be just fine, but fuck the Olympics and World Skate.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #792 on: August 11, 2021, 07:37:21 AM »
does anyone know if they are going to sell these hats and jerseys?

i saw they sold some other parra style stuff but these plain ones are nice

i second this.  i would love that jersey

Hands down Hass out

• Rep: 3
  • 奇妙な滞在
« Reply #793 on: August 11, 2021, 10:15:09 AM »

Hahah what the fuck?

@seanmgregory let's see some lines.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #794 on: August 11, 2021, 12:53:35 PM »
So it's August 11th, the Olympics are over and Peacock still hasn't put up any of the Men's Park competition. I would say, at least from a major network standpoint, that skating in the Olympics was a non starter and they still don't give a fuck about us.

I'm mostly fine with this but would still like to see the skating. DM me please with any sketchy archive sites if you know about them.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
« Reply #795 on: August 11, 2021, 02:48:31 PM »
It was funny when Leticia did her first run and the judges amped her score up and Alexis and her coach were visible annoyed. And Leticia got knocked out soon after
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #796 on: August 11, 2021, 02:58:12 PM »
So it's August 11th, the Olympics are over and Peacock still hasn't put up any of the Men's Park competition. I would say, at least from a major network standpoint, that skating in the Olympics was a non starter and they still don't give a fuck about us.

I'm mostly fine with this but would still like to see the skating. DM me please with any sketchy archive sites if you know about them.

Ive rewatched every skateboarding event on cbc.ca. You may need to use a vpn from outside of Canada

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #797 on: August 12, 2021, 01:43:23 PM »
the on-site announcer sounds like Tim O'Connor

Kelly on the latest nine club said Tim O'Connor was the actual announcer for both contests. 

pretty fucking wild.  i knew it was him!

breezer

• Rep: -16
« Reply #798 on: August 18, 2021, 09:34:19 AM »
So I was watching the nine club experience and Crob returned to his rant about the ladies being scored below the men at the Olympics.... Kelly attempted to explain that tricks got the same scores regardless of whether it was a man or woman.......and that the women agreed to this system prior to the games. 

Crob could not understand it and seemed to be saying woman will never catch up with the men......which seems pretty fucking stupid if you ask me........the gap will narrow as time passes. I do enjoy the show and I like Chris but sometimes he comes across as being pretty clueless.  Unfortunately Jeron nodded his head in agreement and none of the other crew attempted to steer him away from a fairly sexist viewpoint. 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #799 on: August 18, 2021, 10:01:08 AM »
Unfortunately I think crob is actually pretty simple. A few years ago there was that aori vs Leticia sls boardslide/lipslide thing and even tho it was explained to him multiple times that aori had already done the lipslide earlier he just kept saying something like "but lipslide is better"

onecurbatatime

• Rep: 1
« Reply #800 on: August 22, 2021, 01:37:16 PM »

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #801 on: August 22, 2021, 09:59:01 PM »
Unfortunately I think crob is actually pretty simple. A few years ago there was that aori vs Leticia sls boardslide/lipslide thing and even tho it was explained to him multiple times that aori had already done the lipslide earlier he just kept saying something like "but lipslide is better"
Haha what a dummy. of course lipslide is better. if irc the lip scored higher. but with the other points already on the board, Aori just needed to add a certain score to win, and a board slide on the same thing Letecia lipped was enough to take the lead.

Letecia getting hoisted up by her friends in premature celebration, only to throw her board down and pout, is one of my favorite moments in skate sports history.