Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 145465 times)

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1260 on: May 26, 2023, 07:59:57 PM »
Just bought some 148 team hollow raws and they weight about 337g. I couldn't find the weight on these anywhere so figured I would post it here.

Currently on 147 lights and wanted to size up to 8.25"/8.38" boards. Hopefully the height doesn't take too long to get used to.

I made the opposite move lol. Went from 148 team hollow on 8.25-8.38 to 147 lights on 8-8.125. Just set them up on a 8.06 true fit

Whicker

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1261 on: May 26, 2023, 08:23:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Just bought some 148 team hollow raws and they weight about 337g. I couldn't find the weight on these anywhere so figured I would post it here.

Currently on 147 lights and wanted to size up to 8.25"/8.38" boards. Hopefully the height doesn't take too long to get used to.
[close]

I made the opposite move lol. Went from 148 team hollow on 8.25-8.38 to 147 lights on 8-8.125. Just set them up on a 8.06 true fit

I've been having a harder time finding 8-8.125 BBS decks lately where as 8.25-8.38 is everywhere with some nice graphics and twin tail options too. The extra height helps as well since I like 54mm wheels. What made you switch?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #1262 on: May 27, 2023, 08:00:30 AM »
Think I'm going to get some 161s finally. Been feeling Thunder more than Ace since returning to skateboarding after a forced break, which is interesting.

liking the 161s, hv it currently on the crail couch shape..

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #1263 on: May 27, 2023, 08:07:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I've been having a harder time finding 8-8.125 BBS decks lately where as 8.25-8.38 is everywhere with some nice graphics and twin tail options too. The extra height helps as well since I like 54mm wheels. What made you switch?

i’ve got both 147s and 148s, like a goofball. i prefer the 147s by a fair bit, BUT if i was the type that just wanted to skate and not mess with my setup, i’d go with 147s

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1264 on: May 27, 2023, 08:27:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

My local got an 8.12 black eagle in and I never tried that shape before so I skated that for a few weeks. Then my friend gifted me a 8.06 full se and that ended up feeling really solid. I have a Cardiel 8.25 sitting around if I ever need a bigger deck, but right now everything is working really well on the 8.0s

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1265 on: May 27, 2023, 08:40:08 AM »
never rode Thunders, but for 30 bucks a set with free shipping...it might be the time to try them out....really good deal.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Thunder_Chris_Athans_Stamped_Pro_Trucks/descpage-TUCAPTR.html

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1266 on: May 27, 2023, 10:23:56 AM »
never rode Thunders, but for 30 bucks a set with free shipping...it might be the time to try them out....really good deal.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Thunder_Chris_Athans_Stamped_Pro_Trucks/descpage-TUCAPTR.html

these are the exact ones i want too... sad i dont live in the US. i would have copped these for sure.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1267 on: June 03, 2023, 12:41:40 PM »
How often does DLX release the 181s? I want to be ready for the next Beamer drop, but the largest I've seen has been 161s.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1268 on: June 03, 2023, 06:02:21 PM »
How often does DLX release the 181s? I want to be ready for the next Beamer drop, but the largest I've seen has been 161s.

Seems a bit limited, so might be best to contact DLX directly if you can't find any around.

When I looked, there are still a few but the search doesn't come up easily.

Edit:

Where in the world are you / which continent - guessing USA?

I didn't see any there, only EU and other more obscure places.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #1269 on: June 03, 2023, 10:09:16 PM »
One my local shops has them. They are not on the website but I bet if you call them, they'll mail them to you.

https://calsk8.com/

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1270 on: June 04, 2023, 12:22:37 AM »
I have some 181’s myself, but curiosity has made me look for more just in case. I haven’t seen any since the first drop even though the Thunder catalog says they’re being made. Maybe they’re just not being stocked, or are being made in limited quantities
fuck you bama

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1271 on: June 04, 2023, 12:32:29 AM »
Is it just me who's had bad time with Thunder the past years? Turns out my axle is bent. Little over a year old trucks, tho not much used. Last two pairs I broke the kingpin

Zyth

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1272 on: June 04, 2023, 12:42:46 PM »
Is it just me who's had bad time with Thunder the past years? Turns out my axle is bent. Little over a year old trucks, tho not much used. Last two pairs I broke the kingpin
did you bend the hollow axle or standard?

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1273 on: June 04, 2023, 12:49:46 PM »
Standards. Aint got no hollow stuff here... Too risky

Zyth

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1274 on: June 04, 2023, 01:39:58 PM »
Standards. Aint got no hollow stuff here... Too risky
i bent some bryan herman hollows before but that was about 8 years ago, not had any problems since then

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #1275 on: June 04, 2023, 02:46:00 PM »
Curious what WB Thunder riders around here usually like. Also wondering if anyone has switched from Indys or Aces to Thunders and if they adjusted their usual WB to a shorter one, or if they kept riding the same WB as before.

I usually ride a 14.25 WB with Indys, so trying to figure out if I should stick to that if I try Thunders, or go to a 14 WB.

Scottboarding

• Rep: 89
« Reply #1276 on: June 04, 2023, 03:53:12 PM »
Curious what WB Thunder riders around here usually like. Also wondering if anyone has switched from Indys or Aces to Thunders and if they adjusted their usual WB to a shorter one, or if they kept riding the same WB as before.

I usually ride a 14.25 WB with Indys, so trying to figure out if I should stick to that if I try Thunders, or go to a 14 WB.
I ride 14-14.25 with Thunders. I got an Antihero with a 14.5 inch WB and that did not work well with my Thunder standards. I've also found the steepness of the kicks to be a factor (at least with the forged baseplates). During the Black Friday sales I bought a few boards with a 14.25 WB that had pretty steep kicks and I didn't like the boards with the extended WB of the forged baseplates. I just bought some Ace classics for cheap to see if that can alleviate steepness issue so I don't have to sell/give away the boards.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1277 on: June 04, 2023, 07:54:40 PM »
14 and under. As mentioned elsewhere before, I’m a bit of a weirdo in that I’m more of a transition skater that also skates street
fuck you bama

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1278 on: June 04, 2023, 08:30:51 PM »
I've ridden as low as 14.125 and up to 14.5 just fine with Thunder cast. My normal is 14.38. I don't feel Thunder are as sensitive to wheelbase as a Venture since the pop is lighter to begin with. I think WB is less and less of a factor with many Indy and Thunder variants since they're a close middle ground whereas Ace and Venture are at extreme ends of the spectrum.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1279 on: June 05, 2023, 07:24:33 AM »
Ended up finally getting my first set
The turning seems a lot tighter than what I am used to, even at the stock setting. But the board feels incredible stable.
my flip tricks feel so good!!! especially heelflips for some reason. they just freaking go!

these are the ones I got:

I love the way it looks! Dark Green baseplate looks so awesome. I actually like the sound the baseplate makes when it scrapes against the curb too. The grind feels very similar to ventures, feels absolutely amazing on crooked grinds. Paired with F4 99a 51mm classic shape wheels feels like i am not losing any speed on my noseslides at all. They are also giving me a little more turn that I need due to having these slightly tighter turning trucks.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #1280 on: June 05, 2023, 08:49:08 AM »
I've ridden as low as 14.125 and up to 14.5 just fine with Thunder cast. My normal is 14.38. I don't feel Thunder are as sensitive to wheelbase as a Venture since the pop is lighter to begin with. I think WB is less and less of a factor with many Indy and Thunder variants since they're a close middle ground whereas Ace and Venture are at extreme ends of the spectrum.

i agree with this.
 thunders just seem to ‘work’ for me, in general. i don’t need to be fussy. or another way, if a setup doesn’t work, when i’m using thunders (can’t think of any off of the top but i’m sure it’s probably happened to me before, probably some ridiculous steep ass fa bullshit), then i know it’s not the trucks.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #1281 on: June 05, 2023, 11:18:46 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. Really useful info. for possibly trying Thunders out

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 751
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #1282 on: June 05, 2023, 01:00:12 PM »
I feel like a fucking idiot but…

I have stripped 3 fucking Thunder kingpins back to back and I genuinely don’t think they should have stripped out. Is this all caused because I use the included washer from my bones bushings or what is going on? As Mugatu once said, I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1283 on: June 05, 2023, 05:43:57 PM »

I have stripped 3 fucking Thunder kingpins back to back and I genuinely don’t think they should have stripped out. Is this all caused because I use the included washer from my bones bushings or what is going on? As Mugatu once said, I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.

Hollow kingpins?

Seen a lot more hollow kingpins have issues, but I know any kingpin can strip for various reasons.

One of the guys I skate with went through a tighter truck phase and he would try to tighten the bones bushings down that would then rebound in such a way that would push the kingpin nut off the kingpin from the forces of doing tricks.

And no it shouldn't be happening, but some things like that example above do have adverse affects on product, that would not usually happen in other situations.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1284 on: June 05, 2023, 06:32:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i agree with this.
 thunders just seem to ‘work’ for me, in general. i don’t need to be fussy. or another way, if a setup doesn’t work, when i’m using thunders (can’t think of any off of the top but i’m sure it’s probably happened to me before, probably some ridiculous steep ass fa bullshit), then i know it’s not the trucks.

Samsies basically. I was on Venture but made the move back to Thunder alternating between 149 titanium (with cast bp) and 148 team hollows. I've ridden them on everything from a 8.0 full se to a standard DLX 8.38 and they just work. I've been trying to burn through some decks that I no longer want as wall hangers and actually am having a great time on a FA 8.25 with the 149s.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1285 on: June 06, 2023, 04:55:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hollow kingpins?

Seen a lot more hollow kingpins have issues, but I know any kingpin can strip for various reasons.

One of the guys I skate with went through a tighter truck phase and he would try to tighten the bones bushings down that would then rebound in such a way that would push the kingpin nut off the kingpin from the forces of doing tricks.

And no it shouldn't be happening, but some things like that example above do have adverse affects on product, that would not usually happen in other situations.

Hollow kingpins yes. I skate the hard bushings but I had them basically flush. Took em apart to throw a bones medium and a bones hard together and then it wouldn’t go back on

IpathCats

« Reply #1286 on: June 06, 2023, 05:43:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Hollow kingpins?

[close]

Hollow kingpins yes. I skate the hard bushings but I had them basically flush. Took em apart to throw a bones medium and a bones hard together and then it wouldn’t go back on

Maybe you cross threaded on accident last time you put your kp nut on?

could easily see that happening if your kp had been ground down a bit already, damaging the top threads.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1287 on: June 06, 2023, 05:59:40 AM »
That could have happened for sure. I drove to the closest hardware store from the park and bought a wrench, which somehow bent the nut a little bit too. My alternate theory was that maybe the nuts are being made much much cheaper or with soft aluminum, but, it’s not like it was in the 90’s or 100’s yesterday. I dunno. I’m losing my mind.

IpathCats

« Reply #1288 on: June 06, 2023, 06:04:15 AM »
That could have happened for sure. I drove to the closest hardware store from the park and bought a wrench, which somehow bent the nut a little bit too. My alternate theory was that maybe the nuts are being made much much cheaper or with soft aluminum, but, it’s not like it was in the 90’s or 100’s yesterday. I dunno. I’m losing my mind.

Nah its all good, now you just have an actual reason to buy those new trucks you've been eyeing haha.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1289 on: June 06, 2023, 07:07:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Hollow kingpins?

[close]

[close]

Maybe you cross threaded on accident last time you put your kp nut on?

could easily see that happening if your kp had been ground down a bit already, damaging the top threads.

The two things that helped a bit (but not entirely enough to salvage the kingpins after a few of these same occurrences) were to get a decent rethreader for kingpins, more so than just the Ace tool, as that was a bit soft in the metal on hollow kingpins, and a wire brush, to brush out the bits of the nuts that were left in the threads that prevented the new nut or even sometimes the rethreader from getting a lock and doing what they were supposed to do.

After half a dozen kingpin nuts popping off, especially the last one or two, it was give up time on the kingpin and switch out the baseplates entirely, as the first set he tried to remove the kingpins just ended in misery.

Bones hard bushings are good at putting so much pressure on the kingpin nut, whatever the quality of metal it may or may not be, so that it would push it off even half a thread, which then left metal on the kingpin itself and blunted the future efforts to remove and replace the nuts.

That is what we worked out, but still not 100% sure about the whole thing, but he ended up going with other bushings and then not having them half as tight so bones hard bushings work again, but doing the trucks up as tight as he had them meant they were popping the nuts off with enough force and time.

Sorry probably repeating a bit there, but just getting it all out.

Still a bit of a mystery, but at least it is not happening, or not happening as much as he regularly changes out kingpin nuts now as well.