Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 146697 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1830 on: February 10, 2024, 06:42:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wish I'd read this thread before skating my new 147s! I busted the top bushing on the back truck on the first session today. I didn't crank them down, basically a hair past flush. You learn the hard way sometimes I guess. I'm probably gonna order the replacement 94du's.

I will say I skated Thunders for years in the early 2000s and never had a single issue with the old 145s. I never heard anyone complain about their bushings either. I wonder if they've changed.
[close]

Thunder bushings have always cracked or broke faster than any other bushings from my experience but never after a single session. Maybe reach out to DLX customer support and see if they'll send you new ones?
[close]

I thought about that. I'm hesitant because honestly, this set of 147s was a warranty replacement from a set of trucks that I broke years ago. I found them in a box in the basement with the broken kingpin and thought, what the heck I'm gonna shoot em an email. They sent a new set right away, no questions asked. It feels petty to reach out about the bushings now! Maybe it shouldn't though.

Replacing bushings is only a few $$ and there are usually plenty around to get whatever duro you want, 90 (stock), 94, 97, 100 or the rebuild kit in 90, 95 or 100.

Compared to something else like a baseplate, hanger or even kingpin breaking, getting new bushings is usually pretty easy.

Maybe just see what your local shop has first.  Some might even have spare bushings lying around from old trucks too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
« Reply #1831 on: February 10, 2024, 08:00:19 PM »
Stock white 90a only...

If anyone wants to send me Stock whites when you go down bushing rabbit holes, I'll be happy to take them off your hands.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 150
« Reply #1832 on: February 11, 2024, 08:19:20 AM »
I love the stock bushings. I feel like thunders have the best stock bushings. My favorite are the clear dehydrated piss colored ones and the army green clear.

I been riding the blue stock ones on my thunders for three years (on and off) and they're looking brand new still. I weigh 230 pounds and have the bolt flush on the kingpin.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1833 on: February 11, 2024, 01:12:33 PM »
Stock white 90a only...

If anyone wants to send me Stock whites when you go down bushing rabbit holes, I'll be happy to take them off your hands.

Is there something to this? I notice all the Thunder pro trucks have white bushings. My Guy Mariano ones also came with white bushings, but ive not skated them yet

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1834 on: February 11, 2024, 03:04:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Stock white 90a only...

[close]

Is there something to this? I notice all the Thunder pro trucks have white bushings. My Guy Mariano ones also came with white bushings, but ive not skated them yet

Some people swear by the white ones and others swear by anything but the white ones, but they are available in aftermarket simple packaging too, not just in select trucks.

As to why some pro trucks have them, it is more just down to what the pro wants, I think, or what looks good in them, or something similar. 

In the most recent drop two of three are white, one clear blue, but on older drops, they have other colours too.  Looking back through half a dozen catalogs, there are a lot of white, more than what I recall in the past too.

https://www.thundertrucks.com/

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1835 on: February 11, 2024, 04:21:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Stock white 90a only...

[close]

In my head there is. Honestly though, I have a set of clear blue stock that feel exactly the same as stock white. I could never see myself going harder than stock though.

Dkeppel

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1836 on: February 11, 2024, 04:50:55 PM »
Hello Slap

I've skated Indys all my life, but have decided on trying some Thunders because my old ass legs struggle flipping my 8.6" deck with standard Indy 159s.

I've got a 8.25" deck on the courier and some 54mm Bones STF V3 wheels.

I thought some 148 Thunder team hollows would be the best to put with this deck and wheel combination, but I can only find one set in my country and it's the most expensive option, I can get hollow lights 20% cheaper but a lot of people talk about wheel bite with Thunders.

I plan to mostly flat ground with this setup and a little bit of park, would it be worth paying for the Thunder Team hollows? I would of thought if I need some more height, there is no harm in using raisers with the hollow lights but maybe I'm missing something about the geometry or physics etc?

Pretty nervous about trying Thunders, Indys have been a part of my life for 20 odd years... kind of feels like I'm thinking of cheating on Indy 🤣

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1837 on: February 11, 2024, 05:20:49 PM »
Hello Slap

I've skated Indys all my life, but have decided on trying some Thunders because my old ass legs struggle flipping my 8.6" deck with standard Indy 159s.

I thought some 148 Thunder team hollows would be the best to put with this deck and wheel combination, but I can only find one set in my country and it's the most expensive option, I can get hollow lights 20% cheaper but a lot of people talk about wheel bite with Thunders.

I plan to mostly flat ground with this setup and a little bit of park, would it be worth paying for the Thunder Team hollows? I would of thought if I need some more height, there is no harm in using raisers with the hollow lights but maybe I'm missing something about the geometry or physics etc?

Pretty nervous about trying Thunders, Indys have been a part of my life for 20 odd years... kind of feels like I'm thinking of cheating on Indy 🤣

Honestly, if you're already sizing your whole setup down it's going to be a whole lot lighter already.

You could probably make do with thunder standards if that is your desired height and the team hollows are too expensive.

I think you're right in assuming the forged plates would be a bit too much.

I rode indys for the longest time, standard and forged plates. I've ridden thunder standards and team hollows for a little over a year now and def don't want them any lower/lighter. Team hollows almost feel too light for me in some situations. But that's what I'm on currently.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 319
« Reply #1838 on: February 11, 2024, 05:40:12 PM »
Hello Slap

Don't go chasing hollows, keep to the standards available everywhere.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1127
« Reply #1839 on: February 11, 2024, 05:55:04 PM »
Hello Slap

take mine with a large helping of salt: i’m not good, and i’ll find something about every truck that i try, that i like.

i have some thunder 148s that are are the forged baseplate/hollow kingpin, solid axle variant (lights), and they are great. i currently have them setup with some 56 spitfire classics, and yes i get wheelbite, but it is manageable. i also prefer the solid axle, on all trucks. the weight savings in the baseplate, and kingpin, along with the height reduction, is great for me.
 i really like the height of the forged baseplate with the 148s.
i enjoy a lower truck.
i don’t like indys, in part because of the height. i liked older stages of indys that were lower.

now thunder 147s on a forged baseplate are a commitment, those are looooooow.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #1840 on: February 11, 2024, 06:31:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Hello Slap

[close]

Trying hollow indys could be the solution, but if you're trying Thunder... 148 cast are still lighter than 159 (and 149) standard indys. Soo, do you enjoy the height on Indy or no? If so, grabbing the hollow lights and some DLX (or some other deluxe truck friendly brand) riser pads can give you the desired height, reudce wheelbite, and even add some weight if the hollow lights were "too light." Personally, hollow light Thunders are too light to me. They're Tech Deck toy light and are not responsive at all.

Hope that helps!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1841 on: February 11, 2024, 08:51:12 PM »
Hello Slap

No harm in using risers.  Actually coming from riding Indy for a long time, I would almost recommend risers on any Thunder trucks no matter what, but that is just me.  Getting used to a lower truck is a funny thing, some people taking to it easily, others wheel bite every other landing, or even just rolling and anticipating having a bit more to lean than you actually do.

Any which way, Thunders are a good truck and as people have said, are lighter even in the most basic team editions than any Indy truck, as well as having a more narrow hanger on 8.25 wide compared to 8.75 wide trucks, so I wouldn't be going for ultra light so much as I would just be getting a decent set of trucks to get me through the testing of something new, again just my own thoughts on it.

Indy standards 55 mm in height, forged baseplates 53.5 mm, then Thunder team 52 and forged baseplate 50.5 mm so that is a significant step down in height no matter what you do, especially with 54 mm wheels.

Any which way, good luck with your new board.  It will feel weird and you might think "Why did I get this?" but give it a few sessions before really making up your mind on anything, including tightening trucks, as the bushings do wear in nicely, it just takes a bit of time.

Dkeppel

« Reply #1842 on: February 12, 2024, 02:10:27 AM »

Honestly, if you're already sizing your whole setup down it's going to be a whole lot lighter already.

You could probably make do with thunder standards if that is your desired height and the team hollows are too expensive.

I think you're right in assuming the forged plates would be a bit too much.

I rode indys for the longest time, standard and forged plates. I've ridden thunder standards and team hollows for a little over a year now and def don't want them any lower/lighter. Team hollows almost feel too light for me in some situations. But that's what I'm on currently.

I've only been on this size deck for about 4 months, before that I had Indy 126 Stage 8's on a 7.75" deck before that I had the same trucks on a 7.5" with raiser pads etc. I had cancer on and off for 5 years and have been cancer free for 2 years but my strength still hasn't returned 100% and might never return 100%.

Which is why I thought I'd be best off getting the Thunder Team Hollows being a bit higher than forged but lighter than a Indy.

I might pick up some Standards, a local shop is selling off all its skateboard stock at the moment and I can get a pair for $41.70. Its the low height that worries me the most of all.

take mine with a large helping of salt: i’m not good, and i’ll find something about every truck that i try, that i like.

i have some thunder 148s that are are the forged baseplate/hollow kingpin, solid axle variant (lights), and they are great. i currently have them setup with some 56 spitfire classics, and yes i get wheelbite, but it is manageable. i also prefer the solid axle, on all trucks. the weight savings in the baseplate, and kingpin, along with the height reduction, is great for me.
 i really like the height of the forged baseplate with the 148s.
i enjoy a lower truck.
i don’t like indys, in part because of the height. i liked older stages of indys that were lower.

now thunder 147s on a forged baseplate are a commitment, those are looooooow.

:-\ I used to run 1mm Shock pads under my Indys, IDK why I did, it was too tall and I'm embarrassed to admit it took me years to figure out to remove them. The low height concerns me a little with the forged plate, hence wondering if using raisers would matter, feels like you can always bump up the truck a bit higher but you cant lower them.

Trying hollow indys could be the solution, but if you're trying Thunder... 148 cast are still lighter than 159 (and 149) standard indys. Soo, do you enjoy the height on Indy or no? If so, grabbing the hollow lights and some DLX (or some other deluxe truck friendly brand) riser pads can give you the desired height, reudce wheelbite, and even add some weight if the hollow lights were "too light." Personally, hollow light Thunders are too light to me. They're Tech Deck toy light and are not responsive at all.

Hope that helps!

I do like the height of Indy's but not for flipping. Flipping was the one thing I preferred on my friends setups as a teen but I hated feel and turning of their trucks, however no one had Thunders in my group, I tried them once briefly when I borrowed some random guys setup at the park and remember thinking they were the next best thing to Indy.
Indy's would be safe but I would like to try something new, I'm not going to be cruising or carving the bowl with this setup.

I don't like that Tech Deck feel, I remember that's how some of my mates setups felt maybe I should avoid the hollow axle if that's the main cause but as I said above my strength may never return to 100% so I'm trying to save my legs as much strain as much as possible.

No harm in using risers.  Actually coming from riding Indy for a long time, I would almost recommend risers on any Thunder trucks no matter what, but that is just me.  Getting used to a lower truck is a funny thing, some people taking to it easily, others wheel bite every other landing, or even just rolling and anticipating having a bit more to lean than you actually do.

Any which way, Thunders are a good truck and as people have said, are lighter even in the most basic team editions than any Indy truck, as well as having a more narrow hanger on 8.25 wide compared to 8.75 wide trucks, so I wouldn't be going for ultra light so much as I would just be getting a decent set of trucks to get me through the testing of something new, again just my own thoughts on it.

Indy standards 55 mm in height, forged baseplates 53.5 mm, then Thunder team 52 and forged baseplate 50.5 mm so that is a significant step down in height no matter what you do, especially with 54 mm wheels.

Any which way, good luck with your new board.  It will feel weird and you might think "Why did I get this?" but give it a few sessions before really making up your mind on anything, including tightening trucks, as the bushings do wear in nicely, it just takes a bit of time.

It's good to learn raisers aren't going to cause me any issues. The way some people hate on them, I started assuming there was a better reason than just preference to not use them.

So the Standard Thunder would be a little lighter than a Standard Team but lower due to base plate, correct? I can get a pair of Standard Thunders at the moment for $41.70USD which is insanely cheap here in New Zealand, half the usual price, maybe its fate and I should buy them.

Little bit of concern I might regret not spending the extra on lighter Thunders, as I've said above re. my past health issues I want to make sure i'm doing all I can to help make life easier for me. Except going any smaller than 8.25" on the deck width .... As a teen I would of killed for these wider boards, the age of the skinny deck was painful for me, hunting down a 7.75" was nearly impossible, long live the wide deck revolution.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 02:24:17 AM by Dkeppel »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1843 on: February 12, 2024, 02:21:08 AM »
I came from Indy Forged Hollows to the Thunder 148 Hollow Lights. Same deck, same wheels as before and I absolutely loved my first session on the Thunders. My ankles didn't hurt as much afterwards and popping tricks felt easier to me. And due to the decreased height I felt more in control with my setup. But I changed the Thunder bushings to Indy 90 bottom and Indy 92 top. I think I leave the bushings now how they are. Conical bushings just feel a bit too loose and wobbly for my fragile ankles. This is just my experience.

*Just read that you beat cancer. Much respect to you and I wish you all the best for your future health mate. 🧡
IG: @flowterspace

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1844 on: February 12, 2024, 08:08:38 AM »
i went from tall, skinny setup to pretty low slightly wider setup and I personally really liked it.
8" Indy on 58mm down to thunder team on 51mm classics - they wear down into the 40s really quick and now it feels pretty dope.
built another setup just like it.

As far as the colour of the bushings its exactly the same... I have these really awesome looking yellow ones in my Foy Team Model I got (they are from last year or year before i believe) and I currently have the Chrystie NYC ones with the white bushings and I cannot tell the difference as far as turn.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #1845 on: February 12, 2024, 08:28:54 AM »
Coming from Indy and aces, are thunders going to really fuck up my noseslides and tail slides? Is venture the in between?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1846 on: February 12, 2024, 08:53:09 AM »
I changed the way I did my noseslides a little bit to put more pressure on the nose. most of the ledges/curbs i skate arent perfectly square , and are very well waxed on the vertical side, so has never been an issue for me. I feel like I noseslide better because I am more locked in now. Ventures feel pretty similar to Thunders to me as far as that's concerned.

marcusbutler

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1847 on: February 12, 2024, 08:53:22 AM »
Coming from Indy and aces, are thunders going to really fuck up my noseslides and tail slides? Is venture the in between?

I think I skated an even amount of indy and thunders. Haven't skated aces. Currently riding venture hi's. Thunders are going to stretch your wheelbase. Same with venture but even more. So when you slide on thunders you will get a lot of grab from the wheels. Ventures have a longer baseplate so the wheels stick less. But no matter what truck i'm nose sliding, the ledge is always grabbing some wheel. But I feel adjusting to nose slides and crooks when changing trucks is always easier than trying to adjust tre flips, ollie timing, nollie stuff. Currently dealing with trying to fight myself gettign my tre flips backs on ventures coming from thunders.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

Dkeppel

« Reply #1848 on: February 12, 2024, 03:13:36 PM »
I came from Indy Forged Hollows to the Thunder 148 Hollow Lights. Same deck, same wheels as before and I absolutely loved my first session on the Thunders. My ankles didn't hurt as much afterwards and popping tricks felt easier to me. And due to the decreased height I felt more in control with my setup. But I changed the Thunder bushings to Indy 90 bottom and Indy 92 top. I think I leave the bushings now how they are. Conical bushings just feel a bit too loose and wobbly for my fragile ankles. This is just my experience.

*Just read that you beat cancer. Much respect to you and I wish you all the best for your future health mate. 🧡

I pulled the trigger on the Standard Thunders, $41.70USD for a pair was too good of a deal to pass up. If I love them I can upgrade to hollow lights later if I feel the need and build another setup, I have 3 decks makes sense to have 3 sets of trucks, right? ;D

If I hate them I didn't invest much and my daughter or a random kid at the park inherits the Thunders.

Skate gear is crazy expensive here, you pay around $110-130USD for a deck, Indy Hollow Forged/Thunder Teams are around $100-110USD, Bronson G3 bearings are about $40USD, Bones Reds are $30USD, plain MOB grip is $15USD ::) My set of 55mm V5 X99 Bones wheels cost me about $68USD however I love those wheels, 100% worth it IMO.

Thank you, missing some body parts and I can't feel my fingers or toes 100% anymore but I can't complain, I should be dead I somehow beat it three times 8) I would not recommend it, chemotherapy is no joke.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1849 on: February 12, 2024, 03:30:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I pulled the trigger on the Standard Thunders, $41.70USD for a pair was too good of a deal to pass up. If I love them I can upgrade to hollow lights later if I feel the need and build another setup, I have 3 decks makes sense to have 3 sets of trucks, right? ;D

If I hate them I didn't invest much and my daughter or a random kid at the park inherits the Thunders.

Skate gear is crazy expensive here, you pay around $110-130USD for a deck, Indy Hollow Forged/Thunder Teams are around $100-110USD, Bronson G3 bearings are about $40USD, Bones Reds are $30USD, plain MOB grip is $15USD ::) My set of 55mm V5 X99 Bones wheels cost me about $68USD however I love those wheels, 100% worth it IMO.

Thank you, missing some body parts and I can't feel my fingers or toes 100% anymore but I can't complain, I should be dead I somehow beat it three times 8) I would not recommend it, chemotherapy is no joke.

I have some friends in NZ and they always stock up when over here in AU, but love the prices even more in USA if they get to go on a longer / further away trip.

Just part of the differences in the dollar really, but I do feel like some areas / countries even / people / shops get screwed over more than others with different exchange rates, if it all comes from USA or even from China through USA, or in US dollars.

Good luck with your adventures anyway.  Sometimes even just getting out for a really chilled out roll is enough for me, but you can never take anything for granted, like you could when you were a kid, that's for sure.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1850 on: February 12, 2024, 07:51:36 PM »

143, 145, 147 are all lower hangers
148, 149, 151 are all "normal" at 52 mm tall on cast baseplates, 50.5 mm tall on forged baseplates
161 are taller at 53 mm tall on cast plates, 51.5 tall on forged baseplates

Sorry to quote an old post but Thunder 151s are now listed as 53mm high on the website and in a Thunder IG post.

Did they mix things up? This is relevant to my madness...

Dkeppel

« Reply #1851 on: February 12, 2024, 08:08:38 PM »
I have some friends in NZ and they always stock up when over here in AU, but love the prices even more in USA if they get to go on a longer / further away trip.

Just part of the differences in the dollar really, but I do feel like some areas / countries even / people / shops get screwed over more than others with different exchange rates, if it all comes from USA or even from China through USA, or in US dollars.

Good luck with your adventures anyway.  Sometimes even just getting out for a really chilled out roll is enough for me, but you can never take anything for granted, like you could when you were a kid, that's for sure.

I had a chat on the phone a few month back with a guy who manages a chain of skate stores.

Apparently everything in the country comes from one AU distributor for the whole country, there is a bunch of additional shipping costs and skating isn't hugely popular, stores end up with a bunch of decks that don't move for ages so they go on clearance at near cost and they build that loss into the price of new model decks.

I've brought a few clearance decks at $30-$50USD off this guys company and if I don't like the shape, they have a free returns policy so it doesn't cost me anything.

I should of ordered those Thunders yesterday. My deck and wheels are on track to arrive tomorrow. People seem to have wildly different preferences with bushings in Thunders, I've never put much thought into it. I suppose I try stock and work from there.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1852 on: February 13, 2024, 03:31:53 AM »
Expand Quote

148, 149, 151 are all "normal" at 52 mm tall on cast baseplates, 50.5 mm tall on forged baseplates

[close]

Sorry to quote an old post but Thunder 151s are now listed as 53mm high on the website and in a Thunder IG post.

https://www.thundertrucks.com/sizing/

This still has the 151s at 52 mm, then 161 at 53 mm.  I would be stoked if they went up to 53 mm really, but I think they were still the same the last time I checked new stock.

Was it comments on this post?  I think they messed up.  52 mm up to 151, then 53 mm from 161 up is what it has always been.  It is funny though when they say the team baseplates are 1 mm taller, then people think they are getting a taller truck than standards, but it is the same as a standard = team baseplate, just the wording.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1853 on: February 13, 2024, 03:38:16 AM »

Comments are pretty funny on this post - looks like a fingerboard - and similar, but I do like the look of that setup.

Noticing the thin risers on it too, which make it look more normal to me, no matter what anyone else says, that's ok.

mdspb

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1854 on: February 13, 2024, 09:05:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You are correct (that was a typo); your numbers are right.
JAH SK8 SPB

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1855 on: February 13, 2024, 02:53:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had a chat on the phone a few month back with a guy who manages a chain of skate stores.

Apparently everything in the country comes from one AU distributor for the whole country, there is a bunch of additional shipping costs and skating isn't hugely popular, stores end up with a bunch of decks that don't move for ages so they go on clearance at near cost and they build that loss into the price of new model decks.

I've brought a few clearance decks at $30-$50USD off this guys company and if I don't like the shape, they have a free returns policy so it doesn't cost me anything.

I should of ordered those Thunders yesterday. My deck and wheels are on track to arrive tomorrow. People seem to have wildly different preferences with bushings in Thunders, I've never put much thought into it. I suppose I try stock and work from there.

Long time NZ legend Andrew Morrison is most likely the guy being talked about.

Check out his insta, or at least the brand list anyway:

https://www.instagram.com/irromdistribution/

Irrom Dist / Andrew Morrison
New Zealand Skateboard Distribution
Deluxe, Primitive, Baker Boys, Quasi, April, Tum Yeto, GX1000, AWS, Habitat, Top Heavy, Gas Giants

That's a heavy lineup of brands, even just Deluxe and Baker Boys alone would be significant, but anyway, hope you got your hands on some trucks and get to set up that board.

Dkeppel

« Reply #1856 on: February 15, 2024, 04:41:44 PM »
Long time NZ legend Andrew Morrison is most likely the guy being talked about.

Check out his insta, or at least the brand list anyway:

https://www.instagram.com/irromdistribution/

Irrom Dist / Andrew Morrison
New Zealand Skateboard Distribution
Deluxe, Primitive, Baker Boys, Quasi, April, Tum Yeto, GX1000, AWS, Habitat, Top Heavy, Gas Giants

That's a heavy lineup of brands, even just Deluxe and Baker Boys alone would be significant, but anyway, hope you got your hands on some trucks and get your hands on some trucks and get to set up that board.

Oh cool I'll have to check him out, you seem to know your AU/NZ skating scene.

We finally rolling on Thunders in the down under  8) The couriers were delayed and they only arrived an hour ago.

It took every ounce of will power to not setup my new Def 8.25" Deck with the Indys, I don't think I would of lasted another day.

Creature 8.6" with 159 Indy Standards weighing in at 2.63KG

Def 8.25" with Thunder Standards weighing in at 2.41kg

That 220 grams feels substantially lighter, I was a little worried I'd lose some pop with the lower Thunders but nope she feels really nice.

The Thunders turn great, they feel different than the Indy but turn and feel really really nice still, I didnt touch the adjustment and I get a little wheel bite but it hasnt been enough to throw me yet.

However I only got a 20 mins ride around, my only complaint is it feels a little "tippy" I'll give it a few sessions see if I get used to it and then I might play around with bushings, and might also throw a 1mm shock pad under the trucks however the height feels nice.

I think I might prefer a more solid bottom bushing, maybe I'll try the Bones medium bottom bushings I have in a draw or a barrel bushing in the bottom but we will see.

Thanks for your help everyone. Feeling really stoked with this new setup. Wish I had time to go for a proper skate but I have responsibilities haha.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 04:58:30 PM by Dkeppel »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1857 on: February 15, 2024, 04:55:47 PM »

Oh cool I'll have to check him out, you seem to know your AU/NZ skating scene.

We finally rolling on Thunders in the down under  8) The couriers were delayed and they only arrived an hour ago.

It took every ounce of will power to not setup my new Dfg 8.25" Deck with the Indys, I don't think I would of lasted another day.

Creature 8.6" with 159 Indy Standards weighing in at 2.63KG

Dfg 8.25" with Thunder Standards weighing in at 2.41kg

That 220 grams feels substantially lighter, I was a little worried I'd lose some pop with the lower Thunders but nope she feels really nice.

The Thunders turn great, they feel different than the Indy but turn and feel really really nice still, I didnt touch the adjustment and I get a little wheel bite but it hasnt been enough to throw me yet.

However I only got a 20 mins ride around, my only complaint is it feels a little "tippy" I'll give it a few sessions see if I get used to it and then I might play around with bushings, and might also throw a 1mm shock pad under the trucks however the height feels nice.

I think I might prefer a more solid bottom bushing, maybe I'll try the Bones medium bottom bushings I have in a draw or a barrel bushing in the bottom but we will see.

Thanks for your help everyone. Feeling really stoked with this new setup. Wish I had time to go for a proper skate but I have responsibilities haha.

Yeah, I have been around for a while, you could say.

Re new setup - it loooks the goods for sure.

Re tippy, put all your axle washers on the inside to bring your wheels out a little more.  Not going to make a huge difference, but it might just make it a touch more balanced for you.  I will often have three washers on the inside of each wheel, just the nut on the outside, to get the wheels out that little bit more on my boards.  The axle nuts have their own chamfered off back so they sit well just hard up against the bearings, usually with a little play, but that is up to you.

Those Thunder bushings do firm up some after a bit, but again, each to their own - see what works and try things til you figure out what is the best for you.

Get it while you can!

:)

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #1858 on: February 15, 2024, 11:42:32 PM »
Anyone else not being able to get a hold of Thunder 94a bushings?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1859 on: February 16, 2024, 03:12:12 AM »
Anyone else not being able to get a hold of Thunder 94a bushings?

I guess it comes down to where you are and if shops sell out sooner rather than later.

There are plenty around I would say, especially in distribution warehouses, but as to any shops that have them, I guess you might have to ask some as well, given they might not put up all the small things like bushings in their online inventory.

Where are you?  Guessing USA but I got a million here in AU, as well as some other places which still have them too:

UK

https://www.conflictskates.co.uk/thunder-bushings-skateboard-truck-90a-94a-97a-100a-cushions-x4-rubbers-17919-p.asp

Japan

https://skateboardshopsunabe.com/?pid=171470379

Not sure about this one, but they show in stock.

https://www.gosupps.com/thunder-bushing-tube-94a-blue.html

Then I thought, of all the places that SHOULD have Thunder bushings, DLX store should, and here they are:

https://dlxskateshop.com/search?q=bushings

https://dlxskateshop.com/products/thunder-premium-bushings-2?_pos=2&_sid=f9bae8402&_ss=r

Hope that helps.