Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 152110 times)

Arthut_T and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 898
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #2010 on: April 21, 2024, 08:55:24 AM »
That's doing it! But seriously, it's fun and good to see people modding their gear.

Related, but on another note: I once saw a cheap complete that had riser pads that would extend the front and cover the pivot cup like a slider Tensor's had.

That's actually not a bad idea, like a lapper for the front of your baseplates.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2011 on: April 21, 2024, 11:13:17 AM »
Somebody who knows how to 3d print things could make some and set up an online shop to get them out

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 708
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2012 on: April 21, 2024, 12:50:25 PM »

dude you want to talk about sliders check out this homeys

DinnerDog425

• Rep: 24
« Reply #2013 on: April 21, 2024, 12:53:24 PM »
We're coming full circle back to 2000 era Tensors

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2014 on: April 21, 2024, 02:47:03 PM »

That guy is the human form of the madness thread.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 03:14:26 PM by Rick Trapasso »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2015 on: April 21, 2024, 03:22:54 PM »
We're coming full circle back to 2000 era Tensors

His wheels are straight carved from potatoes too.

What is up with that bottom washer?

"hahaaaha yess !! Custom Tape Rolls , mad flat side wallz and weight reductions 💥💥💥. Got a home made “death saver” washer under my truck bushings there too 😹😺😺🙏🙏🙏🎉🎉❤️❤️🎊🎊🎊🎊"

CarcassToss

• Rep: 72
« Reply #2016 on: April 21, 2024, 04:41:50 PM »
Louie Barletta's autistic twin brother. I feel bad he doesn't have better friends that can talk him out of these ideas.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 898
« Reply #2017 on: April 21, 2024, 06:46:12 PM »

This dude is delightfully insane. Wood screws poking thru the top for extra grip!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2018 on: April 21, 2024, 07:40:10 PM »
Proceeds to then showcase that he does not slide any further than anyone riding regular thunders.

Free hat

« Reply #2019 on: April 21, 2024, 09:17:42 PM »

Anyone watch kids in the hall? Big Scott Thompson character vibes

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2020 on: April 21, 2024, 11:32:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That guy is the human form of the madness thread.
Must be horrible 😅
Sir, I'm going to politely, but firmly, ask you and your common sense to leave this establishment.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #2021 on: April 22, 2024, 07:40:58 AM »
idk i think this guy fuckin rips if you ask me!

i love his setup! hahaha like this is the exact type of person i love to talk about skateboarding gear with. most people round here dont give a fuck! ride the same shit. gotta live a little, take some chances! Riding indy all the time is boring.

LeDave

• Rep: 41
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #2022 on: April 22, 2024, 08:00:43 AM »

i love his setup! hahaha like this is the exact type of person i love to talk about skateboarding gear with. most people round here dont give a fuck! ride the same shit. gotta live a little, take some chances! Riding indy all the time is boring.

Love your signature bro, thanks.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 474
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2023 on: April 22, 2024, 09:49:20 AM »
My face when I see these modded Thunders:

All kidding aside though whatever makes skateboarding more funnerer for the user is alright with me.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2024 on: April 22, 2024, 10:11:20 AM »

I can't stop looking at his hands.

crescentfresh

• Rep: 52
« Reply #2025 on: April 22, 2024, 03:10:40 PM »
Do blue transparent bushings (90duro) loosen up with time ? I skated them like 3 or 4 hours, setup stock on the trucks (flush kingpin) but I find them being a bit stiff and have to tic tac quite a bit.
Should I just wait or slightly unscrew (1/8th or 1/4th turn?) the kingpin ?

mine we're feeling really stiff recently so i removed the bottom washers (something someone suggested around here) and now they feel much better, similar to bones medium bushings. i've only skated them about an hour so this might result in blown out bottom bushings, but we'll see...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
« Reply #2026 on: April 22, 2024, 11:02:00 PM »
Keaten is my homie….I saw him on the weekend on his way to buy grip and we jammed out a bunch. 

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2027 on: April 23, 2024, 05:05:13 AM »
Keaten is my homie….I saw him on the weekend on his way to buy grip and we jammed out a bunch.

Tell his gear crazy ass to get up in the mix on here......

Unless he already is 👀

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #2028 on: April 23, 2024, 06:58:07 AM »
I gotta say Thunders with the Real Wood Risers feels pretty slick. It feels like you can turn deeper.
I set up my old Team Thunder 148 with these 57mm OJ Elite wheels and it feels sick as fuck. I dont feel like I am "on risers" it just feels like I am on a higher truck.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2029 on: April 23, 2024, 09:07:55 AM »
I always describe the thunder turn as the first 1/4 of the turn is Ace….the next half is venture….the last quarter is wheelbite…..the risers change the last quarter as does tightening your trucks….

smg1138

• Rep: 64
« Reply #2030 on: April 23, 2024, 10:53:33 AM »
I always describe the thunder turn as the first 1/4 of the turn is Ace….the next half is venture….the last quarter is wheelbite…..the risers change the last quarter as does tightening your trucks….

You just summed up exactly why I don't skate Thunders. Well, that and the poorly designed baseplate.

Obijuan91

• Rep: 30
« Reply #2031 on: April 23, 2024, 11:41:30 AM »
Thunder turn wears out my legs, feels like you really gotta push down to get a solid turn and by the time you pushed deep enough it’s wheelbite. Hate to say it but I do like the pop on them tho. It’s crispy

Dmng

• Rep: 20
« Reply #2032 on: April 23, 2024, 01:50:38 PM »
Im still quite surprised about thunder vs ace feeling especially when I read that thunder stocks are soft

I find ace with hard bushings muuuuuch softer than stock thunder. I unscrewed 1/2 of turn of the thunder and they still feel much harder than flushed hard ace. I guess ace and thunder are different groups that don’t communicate so much aha

Actually, how much can you unscrew from flush / stock before the nut starts slipping ?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 02:34:28 PM by Dmng »

diplodocus

• Rep: 170
  • long neck
« Reply #2033 on: April 23, 2024, 01:51:29 PM »

This. I’ve been on some Thunders for a while now but I just can’t get them to where I like them.

Indys are tippy. Aces are carvey and pretty stable at center for me. Thunders though feel like the “center” point is so small. They’re not tippy like Indy’s per say. Thunder turn takes less effort to initiate but can also max out very easily and wheelbite. So it feels unstable. I ride mine medium tight as well on stock bushings. Anytime I don’t land perfectly square bolts I will wheelbite.

Any advice ?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2034 on: April 23, 2024, 04:15:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This. I’ve been on some Thunders for a while now but I just can’t get them to where I like them.

Indys are tippy. Aces are carvey and pretty stable at center for me. Thunders though feel like the “center” point is so small. They’re not tippy like Indy’s per say. Thunder turn takes less effort to initiate but can also max out very easily and wheelbite. So it feels unstable. I ride mine medium tight as well on stock bushings. Anytime I don’t land perfectly square bolts I will wheelbite.

Any advice ?

Without instantly jumping down the "try harder bushings" type of reply, I do think that slightly harder bushings can sometimes be a win here, even combinations of them, even though I really don't like to mix and match colours, eg a stock top with a harder bottom or something like that, but I will often trim down slightly harder bushings to get the desired result more so than running softer bushings that might turn nicely, but then wheelbite if I land incorrectly.

Any bushing change can be weird, or make you want to swap back the old ones and be done with it, then just deal with the other issues, but that is one option I have gone with that has worked in the past for me.

Thunder trucks being lower also works nicely for me with very thin risers, usually 2 mm tops, of which I have made my own, but there are a lot of people out there that flatly refuse to put anything in between truck and board and that is quite ok too.  For me though, having that extra couple of mm in height makes things just feel more normal and I can turn more and land a little off without things instantly ending in being thrown off the board, which in most cases is easier than putting wheel wells in every board or riding significantly smaller wheels, which I know some others do as well.

So firmer bushings (often cut down / sanded or otherwise modified), risers, smaller wheels are all options for that situation.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 155
« Reply #2035 on: April 23, 2024, 04:32:53 PM »
Im still quite surprised about thunder vs ace feeling especially when I read that thunder stocks are soft

I find ace with hard bushings muuuuuch softer than stock thunder. I unscrewed 1/2 of turn of the thunder and they still feel much harder than flushed hard ace. I guess ace and thunder are different groups that don’t communicate so much aha

Actually, how much can you unscrew from flush / stock before the nut starts slipping ?

If you're on less than perfect ground the rattling will unscrew it a couple of times per session. I always catch it before it unscrews completely ( riding venture lo 5.0) but i kinda like that. It distracts me a bit from the frustration of trying a trick  ;). Feels weird when i dont have to check it.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 474
« Reply #2036 on: April 23, 2024, 04:34:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Any advice ?
[close]

Without instantly jumping down the "try harder bushings" type of reply, I do think that slightly harder bushings can sometimes be a win here, even combinations of them, even though I really don't like to mix and match colours, eg a stock top with a harder bottom or something like that, but I will often trim down slightly harder bushings to get the desired result more so than running softer bushings that might turn nicely, but then wheelbite if I land incorrectly.

Any bushing change can be weird, or make you want to swap back the old ones and be done with it, then just deal with the other issues, but that is one option I have gone with that has worked in the past for me.

Thunder trucks being lower also works nicely for me with very thin risers, usually 2 mm tops, of which I have made my own, but there are a lot of people out there that flatly refuse to put anything in between truck and board and that is quite ok too.  For me though, having that extra couple of mm in height makes things just feel more normal and I can turn more and land a little off without things instantly ending in being thrown off the board, which in most cases is easier than putting wheel wells in every board or riding significantly smaller wheels, which I know some others do as well.

So firmer bushings (often cut down / sanded or otherwise modified), risers, smaller wheels are all options for that situation.

I’d also like to add that a barrel shaped bottom bushing can provide a more stable center even in the same duro. If you were to go a little firmer than stock on the barrel you’d probably prevent some wheelbite situations as well. If you do try this though don’t forget to put a slightly wider bottom washer so it fits properly.

CweamCheeds

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2037 on: April 23, 2024, 04:44:31 PM »
Switched from ace af1 55’s like 3 weeks ago to 148’s and it was a game changer. I hated it at first and kept playing around with the kingpin nut and washer situation and felt like I couldn’t get it to what I wanted. Then I put both washers on and set the kingpin nut flush. Told myself it’s better to accept that they’re different and get used to them than trying to make them something they aren’t. After I did that I had the best session I’ve had in a long time. I feel as though it’s boosted my confidence and I should’ve been skating tighter trucks a long time ago. Noseslides are wonky but I just changed my technique and they seem to be working fine. Only problem trick has been with crooks but I attribute that to sizing down my trucks and not knowing where it is under my board. (I ride an 8.38)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1144
« Reply #2038 on: April 23, 2024, 04:49:44 PM »
Switched from ace af1 55’s like 3 weeks ago to 148’s and it was a game changer. I hated it at first and kept playing around with the kingpin nut and washer situation and felt like I couldn’t get it to what I wanted. Then I put both washers on and set the kingpin nut flush. Told myself it’s better to accept that they’re different and get used to them than trying to make them something they aren’t. After I did that I had the best session I’ve had in a long time. I feel as though it’s boosted my confidence and I should’ve been skating tighter trucks a long time ago. Noseslides are wonky but I just changed my technique and they seem to be working fine. Only problem trick has been with crooks but I attribute that to sizing down my trucks and not knowing where it is under my board. (I ride an 8.38)

148s are nice, and i land more tricks using thunders, than i do when i use ace.
frustratingly, sometimes the tricks i land, feel ‘better’ using ace classic 55s, but i finally gave them away to just try and banish that type of feeling

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2039 on: April 23, 2024, 06:36:15 PM »
I'm just talking turning radius too....the bushings can make a difference in how the trucks perform.  Honestly I think just skating Thunder's tighter is not the worst idea either.  The beginning of the turn will still be there.....  All the trucks have benefits.