Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 148648 times)

CarcassToss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 64
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #2190 on: May 14, 2024, 11:57:27 AM »
My level of coordination is not the highest and I am not the smoothest so I do wheelbite often. With Thunders it seems that however I lean and the truck turns I wheelbite less frequently with an Ace, but when I do I'm fucked. Is what it is. There's no perfect truck. What fucks me on Thunder is when the kingpin starts snagging.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 708
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2191 on: May 15, 2024, 07:42:04 AM »
Expand Quote
the way the stock thunder is, i put it to the loosest possible, and it seems like there is no way you could wheelbite riding 52mm wheels unless YOU fucked up.
[close]

Of course wheelbite is on the rider...uh...do you think the truck turns by itself....

HAHA of course...

the way some people were talking about it was like they couldnt go down a stair set because of the trucks... I think it was actually more directed towards Aces. Pretty sure I read someone say they couldnt bs flip 5 stairs with Aces but could do it on Indys or Thunders or something  ;D

But what I think I was trying to actually say was I think Thunders would be one of the BETTER trucks for NOT wheel biting out of all the options... dont you think? while still offering a pretty decent turn when you need it.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2192 on: May 15, 2024, 12:58:28 PM »
Every truck wheeltbites, Thunder are just the quickest to do it. I have to ride cast plates, 100a bushings and 51/50mm wheels AND be super self aware/come off shit perfectly...vs other trucks being more forgiving and the variables are much looser with wheel size / bushings duro.

Stock ACEs can wheelbite just as much, it just takes longer for it to happen when it's gonna happen and more often than not you can turn out before then, kinda like how 'at that moment' if you ride tight trucks you can't turn out and fall off, that's where thunders bite for me.

It sounds gimmicky, but Slappys really do wheelbite less than anything else, bushing duro and wheelsize being equal (they're obviously 1/2mm taller than some of the trucks out there).

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 708
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2193 on: May 16, 2024, 06:55:32 AM »
Ahhh I see what you mean
so because Thunder is so pushed up to the nose / tail it will hit faster. I get it now.
the ace feels so tucked in so it feels like it takes forever by the time you wheelbite

I am getting Slappys next actually cause its the only one I have never had and might be a perfect truck for me
-Don't care about weight
-Don't want them hyper turny
-Want lots of grind clearance
-Want to ride bigger wheels / less wheelbite

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2194 on: May 16, 2024, 09:32:00 AM »
Ahhh I see what you mean
so because Thunder is so pushed up to the nose / tail it will hit faster. I get it now.
the ace feels so tucked in so it feels like it takes forever by the time you wheelbite

I am getting Slappys next actually cause its the only one I have never had and might be a perfect truck for me
-Don't care about weight
-Don't want them hyper turny
-Want lots of grind clearance
-Want to ride bigger wheels / less wheelbite

Yep, ACE tuck in so it takes them longer.

Slappy are great if you like that ACE/Indy feel, grab the new forged to save a bit on weight, can't hurt; the grind is amazing. Best out, no joke.

someguy185

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2195 on: May 22, 2024, 02:20:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why are the Team Hollows hard to come by?

I can’t find them in the UK but hollows and hollow lights are everywhere. Looking for a 148 or 149. Are they not a popular truck? Enjoyed the Teams on my 8.25 and was keen to trim a bit of weight sizing up to 8.5.
[close]

No idea. Hard to come by here in the states too. Currently all 3 of my local shops don’t have them in stock. My guess is that Thunder just has too many options, and team hollows are kind of redundant.

The lights weigh as much as the team hollows and the hollow lights weigh less than them. I would wager the average skate consumer who doesn’t care for numbers would just go for the lightest option if they were after hollows. Not sure though.

Also in my experience I liked my team hollows but, I liked my hollow lights way more.
[close]

I think from a shop perspective, ordering in some (or one set for smaller places) of everything, then the most popular trucks sell out and it might be a while before placing another order, or even then the local distro has sold out of them as well, so I can see that could be why they sell out and are not restocked in some places.

Also the name of them often doesn't come up correctly or shops / listings don't have the right info on them, but they should be in the price bracket between the basic team editions and the forged baseplate options, so a broad search of Thunder trucks and go from there, just in case.

There seem to be a lot of the 149s here in AU, but not other sizes in the basic polished colour, although there are the one off versions of certain colourways with the team baseplate and hollow kingpins - give or take hollow axles as well.

I haven't seen any in person to know if as per the Thunder site, they do have red bushings, but that could be another thing to look for, but not the be all and end all.

https://www.thundertrucks.com/

Looks like they’ve made an effort to differentiate the team hollows. Now raw with black pushing while the rest are all polished.

http://irnsuperior.com/catalog/catalog/2024-summer-drop1-hardgoods.pdf

Coffee

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2196 on: May 22, 2024, 08:07:09 AM »
Yesterday I blew the front and back bushings out on my 147s. I won’t be able to get to the shop for another week or two so I swapped my trucks out with the ventures I was riding before. I thought it wouldn’t be that big of a deal. I rode venture for 20 years before switching to thunder about 4 years ago. Boy was I wrong. I can’t get the ventures loose enough to turn like my thunders just rolling around in front of my house. I don’t ride super loose on my thunders, maybe one thread showing on the king pin but to get even remotely close on the ventures I had to go finger tight. I was thinking of switching back to venture after this deck because I want to size up to an 8.25 but nope. I’ll just deal with having g to replace the stock thunder bushings occasionally.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 473
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2197 on: May 22, 2024, 11:23:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why are the Team Hollows hard to come by?

I can’t find them in the UK but hollows and hollow lights are everywhere. Looking for a 148 or 149. Are they not a popular truck? Enjoyed the Teams on my 8.25 and was keen to trim a bit of weight sizing up to 8.5.
[close]

No idea. Hard to come by here in the states too. Currently all 3 of my local shops don’t have them in stock. My guess is that Thunder just has too many options, and team hollows are kind of redundant.

The lights weigh as much as the team hollows and the hollow lights weigh less than them. I would wager the average skate consumer who doesn’t care for numbers would just go for the lightest option if they were after hollows. Not sure though.

Also in my experience I liked my team hollows but, I liked my hollow lights way more.
[close]

I think from a shop perspective, ordering in some (or one set for smaller places) of everything, then the most popular trucks sell out and it might be a while before placing another order, or even then the local distro has sold out of them as well, so I can see that could be why they sell out and are not restocked in some places.

Also the name of them often doesn't come up correctly or shops / listings don't have the right info on them, but they should be in the price bracket between the basic team editions and the forged baseplate options, so a broad search of Thunder trucks and go from there, just in case.

There seem to be a lot of the 149s here in AU, but not other sizes in the basic polished colour, although there are the one off versions of certain colourways with the team baseplate and hollow kingpins - give or take hollow axles as well.

I haven't seen any in person to know if as per the Thunder site, they do have red bushings, but that could be another thing to look for, but not the be all and end all.

https://www.thundertrucks.com/
[close]

Looks like they’ve made an effort to differentiate the team hollows. Now raw with black pushing while the rest are all polished.

http://irnsuperior.com/catalog/catalog/2024-summer-drop1-hardgoods.pdf

Not to derail but that Lt. Blue 8.28 Eagle has my attention! Thanks for sharing

DanRar009

• Rep: 65
« Reply #2198 on: May 28, 2024, 07:26:27 AM »
Anyone know if dlx warranty covers snapped kingpins? 2nd kingpin that’s broke on a set of thunder team standards on me in the last 9 months

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2199 on: May 28, 2024, 07:33:04 AM »
Anyone know if dlx warranty covers snapped kingpins? 2nd kingpin that’s broke on a set of thunder team standards on me in the last 9 months

I've heard good things about deluxe warranty program. Reach out to them with pics and see what happens

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2200 on: May 28, 2024, 07:50:22 AM »

I've heard good things about deluxe warranty program. Reach out to them with pics and see what happens

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
« Reply #2201 on: May 28, 2024, 08:26:09 AM »
Kingpins are cheap and easy to purchase and replace. I'm sure DLX will help you out but it will be simpler and quicker just to get some yourself.

grafiz

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2202 on: May 28, 2024, 11:01:33 AM »
yo I am a new Thunder user, whats the difference between Titanium Lights and Titanium?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2203 on: May 28, 2024, 11:15:56 AM »
yo I am a new Thunder user, whats the difference between Titanium Lights and Titanium?

Nothing.

Unless you somehow found a pair of 'Team Titaniums"

Titanium Lights (I, II, III all the same) - Ti axle, forged plate, hollow kingpin
TEAM Titaniums - Ti axle, CAST plate (1mm taller than forged), hollow kingpin
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 03:41:46 PM by Xen »

grafiz

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2204 on: May 28, 2024, 11:21:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nothing.

Titanium Lights (I, II, III all the same) - Ti hanger, forged plate, hollow kingpin
TEAM Titaniums - Ti Hanger, CAST plate (1mm taller than forged), hollow kingpin

thanks a bunch bro

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2205 on: May 28, 2024, 11:57:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nothing.

Titanium Lights (I, II, III all the same) - Ti hanger, forged plate, hollow kingpin
Hanger? Is not only the axle?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2206 on: May 28, 2024, 03:41:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Nothing.

[close]
Hanger? Is not only the axle?

Axle yeah, fixed.

Coffee

« Reply #2207 on: May 28, 2024, 08:23:30 PM »
Got my replacement 94a bushings in today and put them on. Decided to do a side by side comparison of my setups to see how close I could get things. For reference I’m 185lbs.

Main setup, 8x31.5x14.1 deck, thunder 147 with the 94a bushings, spitfire 52mm F4 OG Classics. I set up a couple rocks in the street in front of my house and just skated figure eights around them until I could adjust my trucks to where I like them. I was able to go full weight heel side on my turns with no wheel bite. I’m aware I’ll have to make more adjustments as the bushings break in but for now they are ideal for me.

Old setup, 8x31.5x14 deck, Venture 5.2 lows, Spitfire 52mm F4, not sure of the shape but they were a Cory Kennedy pro wheel from several years ago. Did the same routine however before I could get the turns as tight as the Thunders I was leaning straight into wheel bite and getting tossed. The turn felt just as stable as the Thunders, it just couldn’t make as tight of turn.

3rd setup not a direct comparison, 8.5x31.5x14 deck, Indy strange 11 standard 149’s, Spitfire 54mm conical fulls. Obviously a taller truck on a wider board but was able to get the same turn radius as the Thunders but it didn’t feel anywhere near as stable. Actually quite the opposite, kind of wobbly.

All of this leads to my decision to go with Thunder 148’s when I size up to and 8.25 deck for my next setup. I was leaning this way anyways but this solidified it. I may take all three setups to the park and try them out there but I doubt anything will change my mind.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2208 on: May 29, 2024, 11:43:30 AM »

I may take all three setups to the park and try them out there but I doubt anything will change my mind.

Don't! Just take one with the Thunders you already seem set on; you will never get a feel for any of them by switching back and forth (unless they are identical in everyway but trucks). This is from personal experience.

@ok ;)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1134
« Reply #2209 on: May 29, 2024, 12:14:47 PM »
Got my replacement 94a bushings in today and put them on. Decided to do a side by side comparison of my setups to see how close I could get things. For reference I’m 185lbs.

Main setup, 8x31.5x14.1 deck, thunder 147 with the 94a bushings, spitfire 52mm F4 OG Classics. I set up a couple rocks in the street in front of my house and just skated figure eights around them until I could adjust my trucks to where I like them. I was able to go full weight heel side on my turns with no wheel bite. I’m aware I’ll have to make more adjustments as the bushings break in but for now they are ideal for me.

Old setup, 8x31.5x14 deck, Venture 5.2 lows, Spitfire 52mm F4, not sure of the shape but they were a Cory Kennedy pro wheel from several years ago. Did the same routine however before I could get the turns as tight as the Thunders I was leaning straight into wheel bite and getting tossed. The turn felt just as stable as the Thunders, it just couldn’t make as tight of turn.

3rd setup not a direct comparison, 8.5x31.5x14 deck, Indy strange 11 standard 149’s, Spitfire 54mm conical fulls. Obviously a taller truck on a wider board but was able to get the same turn radius as the Thunders but it didn’t feel anywhere near as stable. Actually quite the opposite, kind of wobbly.

All of this leads to my decision to go with Thunder 148’s when I size up to and 8.25 deck for my next setup. I was leaning this way anyways but this solidified it. I may take all three setups to the park and try them out there but I doubt anything will change my mind.

they are all gonna laugh at you!

nah, do you.
my experience on this is that less is more, but that’s a very do as i say, not as i do thing for me to write out here.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2210 on: May 29, 2024, 01:30:38 PM »
Best solution that works for me:

(same board/bearings/wheels; equivlent bushing duro depending on truck style that gives the feel you think you are looking for, e.g., for me it's 100a thunder bushings, 94a indy bushings, conicidnetly they are both black).

Take a board with the trucks out for a session, no switching during the session.
Next day/session, do the same thing with different trucks, no switching during the session.

Now the caveat here is the 'session' this isn't rolling around in a parking lot doing mobbed rocket flips (sorry dude) - unless that is all you do -  but actually skating...around, hitting different shit....ollies over shit, ledges, flat, etc..you gotta use them in all the situations that you normally skate...again, if you only do a handful of tricks when you and where you skate, then fine, that's how you test them/is the use case.

Each truck can give/has an edge in some capicty based on terrain.

Coffee

« Reply #2211 on: May 29, 2024, 03:26:36 PM »
Expand Quote

I may take all three setups to the park and try them out there but I doubt anything will change my mind.

[close]

Don't! Just take one with the Thunders you already seem set on; you will never get a feel for any of them by switching back and forth (unless they are identical in everyway but trucks). This is from personal experience.

@ok ;)

Ended up not being able to get out today so fuck the Venture setup, I’m just going to keep it around for a back up. I know I like the Thunders so I’m just going to stick with them.

CarcassToss

« Reply #2212 on: May 29, 2024, 03:47:54 PM »
By the time a setup feels good you'll switch to the next, struggle with it cuz you aren't used to it, then go to the last one and struggle with it b/c you started adapting your timing for setup 2 and soon enough you'll be fucking annoyed as all shit. Don't do that shit.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2213 on: May 29, 2024, 04:08:00 PM »
By the time a setup feels good you'll switch to the next, struggle with it cuz you aren't used to it, then go to the last one and struggle with it b/c you started adapting your timing for setup 2 and soon enough you'll be fucking annoyed as all shit. Don't do that shit.

yeah pretty much.

but maaaaaaaaaaaaayyyybeeeeeeeeee

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2214 on: May 29, 2024, 06:12:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah pretty much.

but maaaaaaaaaaaaayyyybeeeeeeeeee

@CarcassToss is correct tho, the more you fuck around (I'm super guilty) the harder it is to re-adapt; I only suggest he try out the same shit with each truck setup to figure out which he likes more. It's pretty easy to do. Better yet do the coin flip, if you hate the result you know your answer (and I swear everyone knows what they're leaning towards).

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2215 on: May 29, 2024, 09:17:12 PM »
oh totally agree that switching it up is not fruitful.

waaaaay back when, i’d lay off of skating for a short period of time, say a few months, hurt or focusing on the wrong things, come back to it, get a new setup, learn a different trick. i mistakenly thought that these different setups were giving me fresh eyes, a different perspective.

CarcassToss

« Reply #2216 on: May 31, 2024, 09:56:00 AM »
A few years back I walked into my local and they had nothing in stock that I would normally want, but I wanted to setup a deck and skate right after. I ended up getting an April that was kinda close to what I normally ride, but terrible graphic. Skated amazing, probably because my underlying setup anxiety was gone. Also lasted a really long time oddly. After that deck I got a Limo that I was like 'fuck yah these dims seem perfect, the team is dope, love the graphic and details' and I skated horribly. Hated every minute on that deck and snapped doing a half cab on flat haha.

smg1138

• Rep: 62
« Reply #2217 on: May 31, 2024, 12:02:23 PM »

I've been doing the 2 setup thing for a while and it's driving me bonkers. I have an 8.5 for tranny and cruising and an 8 for more technical skating cause I can't flip an 8.5 for shit. Lately I've been trying out an 8.25 as a middle ground and I'm starting to get more used to it. Hoping this will cure my madness.

CarcassToss

« Reply #2218 on: May 31, 2024, 03:25:10 PM »
I have a transition setup, but I don't have any illusions about it being ideal for non transition stuff and frankly it's a bit extra. I'm not Wade Speyer, just trying to get onto the coping in bigger bowls and have a bit of extra length/stability. It still has Ventures, which the Ace camp would have you believe are not rideable on transition.

mdspb

• Rep: 30
« Reply #2219 on: May 31, 2024, 03:52:49 PM »
Wade rode Ventures, so you might be onto something with that setup.
JAH SK8 SPB