Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 152003 times)

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 309
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #2250 on: June 04, 2024, 07:29:56 AM »
Got a bit of bushing madness:

Thunder 90a - Too soft
Thunder 92a - Still too soft
Thunder 94a - too hard
Bones Hards - responsive, but too hard still

I've given up on conical style bushings for now, and want to try Independent barrel bushings. I'm pretty sure I read on here that they fit Thunders. Any recommendation on either the 90 or 92? I think the 94s are out of the question. Just want more stability.

if you have all those bushings around try a 94 bottom and 92 or 90 top.

CarcassToss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #2251 on: June 04, 2024, 07:39:11 AM »
One weird thing I got off here that made 94 feel chiller was lubing my pivot cups and bushings. Lube or thin grease on em. They felt horrible when I got them but by the end felt pretty similar to 90's

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2252 on: June 04, 2024, 10:11:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Got a bit of bushing madness:

Thunder 90a - Too soft
Thunder 92a - Still too soft
Thunder 94a - too hard
Bones Hards - responsive, but too hard still

I've given up on conical style bushings for now, and want to try Independent barrel bushings. I'm pretty sure I read on here that they fit Thunders. Any recommendation on either the 90 or 92? I think the 94s are out of the question. Just want more stability.
[close]

if you have all those bushings around try a 94 bottom and 92 or 90 top.

Hard bottom restricts turn, soft top = sloppy/slow return to center (why ACE does the opposite). Just use a lower top..it's what grewer does and why they made the Venture low top bushing kit.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 06:16:28 PM by Xen »

Vintagebody

• Rep: 86

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2254 on: June 10, 2024, 10:51:21 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/C8Cx887JTKm/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Oh wow!

I can't imagine they'll have different weight/height options off the bat so I'm curious what the first iteration will be?

Looks like cast plates and would assume solid axles

Purple bushings look nice.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2255 on: June 10, 2024, 11:38:08 AM »
I'd guess cast plates seeing as they already support hex....Team Editions mostly likely?

Interested to see if they stick with just a nut down there or the whole sleeve/nut thing that everyone else has done (literally, Krux, indy, Slappy, Royal all have it).

CarcassToss

« Reply #2256 on: June 10, 2024, 01:22:05 PM »
The top washer looks more cupped and wider than what was on my last Thunders (and ate up top bushings).

lukepat

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2257 on: June 10, 2024, 01:31:03 PM »
Curious if they will offer Inverted Kingpin hardware for sale for the current Thunder truck riders....

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 201
« Reply #2258 on: June 10, 2024, 05:43:13 PM »
Another allen wrench to lose

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2259 on: June 10, 2024, 05:51:36 PM »
I'd guess cast plates seeing as they already support hex....Team Editions mostly likely?

Interested to see if they stick with just a nut down there or the whole sleeve/nut thing that everyone else has done (literally, Krux, indy, Slappy, Royal all have it).

I hope itís just the nut. Just seems more simple. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2260 on: June 10, 2024, 06:01:59 PM »
Another allen wrench to lose

Are you prone to losing shit? I still have my first Krux allen from a set of downlows from like 10+yrs ago and would regularly take it out with me for those...and the mindys....and the royals....and the slappys....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2261 on: June 10, 2024, 06:06:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I hope itís just the nut. Just seems more simple. 

I'm 50/50..I'd prefer something not embedded, that can be replaced. I get that the shaft nuts are long and threaded throught the plate to create a strong/secure method (more threads up the pin, the more 'time' you have before it loosens up and falls out); I'd rather have the old grind king solution..which begs the question if they have somehow found a way to keep them from loosening over time? I hope so, otherwise what took them so long (comparatively speaking)?

Hollow IKP? OG Krux, Slappy did it, Indy followed.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
« Reply #2262 on: June 10, 2024, 09:47:54 PM »
I'm just basing my opinion on all the indy complaints, but I don't know how things fared for Royal, Slappy and now that I think of it Krux..... It just seems simpler and understood it's your problem to keep them tight.  My impression was they didn't have it figured out, but hopefully I'm wrong.  It's a big knock on Thunders IMO, because they aren't as beefy as Indys, the clearance is at best OK......One of the reasons I got off thunders...it felt like you didn't get long enough with unobstructed grinding....

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2263 on: June 11, 2024, 03:21:34 AM »

These new inverted trucks will have a updated baseplate. Will it be a bit longer as the standard baseplates? I am on Hollow Lights and sometimes get stuck on nose/tailslides. But it is my low skill because I also got stuck with Indy plates on icey ledges sometimes. Going faster and wax is your friend for smooth slides.

How would it be to get these trucks, hammer the kingpin out of these baseplates and and replace it with a regular kingpin? Not that anyone would ever do such mad things. ^^
IG: @flowterspace

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #2264 on: June 11, 2024, 04:47:17 AM »
Hollow KP and solid axle, so between a team and team hollows.

I'm probably gonna give these a shot after the initial testers can tell me if they loosen on their own or not lol.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #2265 on: June 11, 2024, 05:26:43 AM »

I'm probably gonna give these a shot after the initial testers can tell me if they loosen on their own or not lol.
If they loosen up on their own then thatíll save me having to try them out.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #2266 on: June 11, 2024, 05:29:44 AM »
I'd probably down to revamp my old Thunders if they'd sell also only the ikp baseplate.

DinnerDog425

• Rep: 24
« Reply #2267 on: June 11, 2024, 05:37:00 AM »
The step down on the Spitfire skate tool wrench/screw driver makes sense now. I was looking at it when I picked one up and it looked like it was designed for a hollow IKP.

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #2268 on: June 11, 2024, 05:38:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
If they loosen up on their own then thatíll save me having to try them out.

Exactly, lol

CarcassToss

« Reply #2269 on: June 11, 2024, 06:57:20 AM »
I don't think DLX will fuck up the IKP especially since it's been in testing since 2020.

I asked my shop owner about these yesterday as he's tested the T2. The baseplate is not thicker or more angled to where it has more material to be closer to the ledge for slides. It's simply a bit more rounded. He's seen a set but didn't sit with calipers and measure.

Keeping an Allen wrench spare isn't hard. I could have missed it but if the KP head was hollow it sounds like most skate tools that have a hex shaped Phillips/allen key like the Ace tool would be the right size.

logjammin

• Rep: 365
« Reply #2270 on: June 11, 2024, 07:16:16 AM »
Why do all these truck companies with inverted options keep using these inferior kingpins that barely offer more grind clearance than a regular one? OG Krux or Kreper, it's not like the designs are patented. Steal it, use it. 2Hex did it they just painted it black.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 895
« Reply #2271 on: June 11, 2024, 07:45:13 AM »
I don't think DLX will fuck up the IKP especially since it's been in testing since 2020.

I asked my shop owner about these yesterday as he's tested the T2. The baseplate is not thicker or more angled to where it has more material to be closer to the ledge for slides. It's simply a bit more rounded. He's seen a set but didn't sit with calipers and measure.

Keeping an Allen wrench spare isn't hard. I could have missed it but if the KP head was hollow it sounds like most skate tools that have a hex shaped Phillips/allen key like the Ace tool would be the right size.

So are these the so-called T2 or not?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1154
« Reply #2272 on: June 11, 2024, 08:12:44 AM »
IKP riders, as a curmudgeon who hates change. Are inverted kingpins that much of a game changer? Have I been getting hung up on my kingpin bolt this whole time and thats why my smiths suck? Can i keep my trucks squirrely with an IKP? Is it a cultural shift I can continue to ignore?

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #2273 on: June 11, 2024, 08:18:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So are these the so-called T2 or not?

These are not. T2s are a whole new thunder yet to be released.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2274 on: June 11, 2024, 08:21:42 AM »
Thanks. Iím holding off.

logjammin

• Rep: 365
« Reply #2275 on: June 11, 2024, 08:49:10 AM »
IKP riders, as a curmudgeon who hates change. Are inverted kingpins that much of a game changer? Have I been getting hung up on my kingpin bolt this whole time and thats why my smiths suck? Can i keep my trucks squirrely with an IKP? Is it a cultural shift I can continue to ignore?

Been on IKP's for years. Frankentrucking, Indy IKP baseplates, etc. So far on some 215's grinded down plenty at this point including my disintegrating KP nut and kingpin itself, I'm actually finding it's kinda fine. Almost like the kingpin hanging actually provides a little stability on a long grind. Dare I say. If you're fine with grinding on normal kingpins then just stick with it.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2276 on: June 11, 2024, 09:09:30 AM »
I've tried inverse kingpins the past and did not find them to be that drastically better for my skateboarding. i actually quite enjoy grinding down the kingpin and kingpin nut until the whole thing blends into a blob of shredded aluminum and bushing spillage.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1143
« Reply #2277 on: June 11, 2024, 11:26:34 AM »
I've tried inverse kingpins the past and did not find them to be that drastically better for my skateboarding. i actually quite enjoy grinding down the kingpin and kingpin nut until the whole thing blends into a blob of shredded aluminum and bushing spillage.

i found this strangely sexual

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2278 on: June 11, 2024, 11:31:57 AM »

Not really. You get a bit more honeymoon before you start hitting the kingpin; on trucks like slappys and royals, the latter having thunder-like GC, it makes a pretty big difference.

This seems like a weird stop-gap for them. Rounded edge baseplates? Ok. Were people breaking plates for them to be re-inforcing them?

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #2279 on: June 11, 2024, 01:06:12 PM »
Iím surprised that deluxe is putting the marketing push behind these internal kingpin thunders, and not releasing the totally remade thunders. It has been at least 10 or 15 years since they did away with the highs and lows, and it seems like if they are going to bring out a completely new, redesign truck, it will be on the riding the coattails of this release. Redesigning eight truck, from one of the biggest Chuck manufactures is a huge deal, and this doesnít seem like enough of a redesign to warrant itís on marketing push. And like a lot of people on here are saying, the higher thunders already have a ton of ground clearance, and you can easily put inverted kingpins into 147s using their hex cast base plate.

It seems like most people are way more interested in the totally redesigned thunders than these. Some call them the t2, but my first complete had t-fourís, so I donít like the nickname t2.

There was a screenshot of Ben degros holding the new thunders with the total redesign in 2022, and it was the best look at them Iíve seen. They had the seaglass blue bushings, and had new lines and Iím guessing geometry.