Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 134200 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #690 on: November 28, 2021, 09:36:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Now that we got the wheelbase measurements, who’s got the bushing dimensions? I’m very intrigued by these, especially if the 8.75” version is coming but I’m worried about the stability many ppl have reported. I like to be able to turn easily while pushing. For that classic Aces are by far the best for me and I really like that. Ace AF1s are still alright for that too but not as good as classics. I’m wondering if I could get the Lurpivs to my liking in that regard, maybe with changing bushings.
[close]

If you throw some white Indy Conicals in there I'm sure you will have no problem turning easily.
[close]

Sure, but have so little rebound that you’re just constantly turning with them. I’d also like to keep the stock geometry. That’s why I was asking about the bushing dimensions.  :)
[close]

Did my best, but I don't have calipers. Got the top as 12mm and the bottom as 14mm. Someone should double check me though.

Thanks! That would be exactly the same as Ace classics. Would be interesting testing these with Ace bushings. I'm getting big gear madness here!  :D

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #691 on: November 29, 2021, 12:51:14 AM »
They just started doing 144's too.

It's my truck size, but I just got ventures a few weeks ago. So tempted to pull a Kader...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

al_cvbrera

« Reply #692 on: November 29, 2021, 01:01:17 AM »
Damn it. There goes my money again. I hope they really do feel like Aces but with alot more stability like how people have said.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #693 on: November 29, 2021, 07:10:26 AM »
I would recommend to tighten the kingpin with a 13mm tool. A normal skate tool will do the job if you're going to be barely touching the kingpin, but using it in the long run will surely damage the bolt head. If you decide to run them stock, you might want to double check the tightness level, because I suspect mine came with different tightness levels. As for the axle nuts, I stashed the Lurpiv ones  altogether and I'm running some standard axle nuts with 1 speed ring on the outside for my convenience.

13mm is essentially interchangeable with 1/2”, the axle side of a skate tool. And if a standard axle nut fits the KP, it’s SAE anyway.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #694 on: November 29, 2021, 07:38:15 AM »
Expand Quote
I would recommend to tighten the kingpin with a 13mm tool. A normal skate tool will do the job if you're going to be barely touching the kingpin, but using it in the long run will surely damage the bolt head. If you decide to run them stock, you might want to double check the tightness level, because I suspect mine came with different tightness levels. As for the axle nuts, I stashed the Lurpiv ones  altogether and I'm running some standard axle nuts with 1 speed ring on the outside for my convenience.
[close]

13mm is essentially interchangeable with 1/2”, the axle side of a skate tool. And if a standard axle nut fits the KP, it’s SAE anyway.

13mm is marginally larger than 1/2”, and every skate tool I’ve ever used has had like 1-2mm of slop in the wrench anyway. Since you’re sizing up on the bolt head and the tools are usually too big anyway, I agree that using a typical skate tool is unlikely to cause any problems with stripping.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Carter

• Rep: -1
« Reply #695 on: November 29, 2021, 02:20:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The theeves were all one piece I'm pretty sure. I had them....the quality was pretty insane....material didn't grind well at all....
[close]
Yes, they're one piece. Viewed from the board side, the hangers are completely open with nothing but air where a one piece axle would be.

[close]
Perhaps Theeve were overly ambitious in their design, but they have certainly set a precedent that the tech exists to do it.
I’m still waffling until I hear some sweet feedback from the PALS.
[close]

Me and some friends tried out the all titanium theeves when they first came out. They were really hard to grind with. You couldn't do 5050 or like manual style grinds. To 5-0 you had to be like fully tail pressed and down kinda pointed out to the side.nosegrinds had to be that style that's almost a noseblunt but Crookeds worked alright.
I'm hoping the lurpivs don't have that same "problem" because it's really not how I enjoy doing those tricks.
Also where theeve really fucked up is the titanium would grind thru the pivot cup and then boar thru the baseplate itself because it's only aluminium. Titanium baseplate would make a lot more sense than hangar. You'd never blow out a pivot cup again.

I had these and had no problem with any grinds but it did take me a while to get used to normal tucks after because of the weight. I had such a Deep crook gouge in them that made no sense on how the truck didn't crack or bend. they are on my cruiser now.... haven't touched them in a while

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #696 on: November 29, 2021, 04:38:48 PM »
They just started doing 144's too.

It's my truck size, but I just got ventures a few weeks ago. So tempted to pull a Kader...

Color me surprised. I for sure thought they'd go 8.75" before an 8.25".

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #697 on: November 29, 2021, 04:48:17 PM »
What I wanna know is where the 9" is

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #698 on: November 29, 2021, 05:01:03 PM »
i hope the bigger trucks 159, 169 ect. have titanium axle options because the 149 is already pretty heavy. that's gonna be spendy though.

IpathCats

« Reply #699 on: November 29, 2021, 08:40:36 PM »
Lots of weird manufacturing marks/defects. There are two small notches near the pivot point on one hangar.

Nylock is bulging out after putting wheels on too

These defects I noted were totally just marks in the whatever coating comes on these. It's rather soft and I thought it was the actual structural metal hangar before skating them. Nylock still bulging though on all wheels. Really digging these after getting used to the height!

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #700 on: November 30, 2021, 07:47:20 AM »
mine come in today, gonna sneak home from work and grab em when theyre delivered

IpathCats

« Reply #701 on: November 30, 2021, 08:04:51 AM »
mine come in today, gonna sneak home from work and grab em when theyre delivered

grats, stoked for you. felt good to finally open that box.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #702 on: November 30, 2021, 08:42:45 AM »
So who ordered some 8” or 8.5”, just before the 8.25” shipped?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #703 on: November 30, 2021, 11:29:22 AM »
Mine are getting delivered today and I ordered them last week. Feeling guilty about the relative quick shipping as I know some people who preordered them months ago are just now getting them.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #704 on: November 30, 2021, 12:52:06 PM »

I feel going with 8" and 8/5" were the right 'industry standard' choices to go with, even tho 8.25/144/148 is now a standard these days.

I'm waiting on the 8.75" before I [maybe] bite on Lurpiv. Digging the Royals too much :P
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 01:53:52 PM by Xen »

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #705 on: November 30, 2021, 01:31:59 PM »

Me, and i skate 8.25 lol

ProfessorJSS

• Rep: -6
« Reply #706 on: November 30, 2021, 02:17:16 PM »
i’d been excited about these for a while but had held off for whatever reason. must have been fated to wait as i didn’t even know they’d introduced a 144 before going to order today. now if you’ll excuse me, i'm going to watch my mailbox religiously until they arrive.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #707 on: November 30, 2021, 03:01:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Me, and i skate 8.25 lol

I ordered the 149s but I skate 8.5 bloards, but so far on 144s.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #708 on: November 30, 2021, 03:06:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel going with 8" and 8/5" were the right 'industry standard' choices to go with, even tho 8.25/144/148 is now a standard these days.

I'm waiting on the 8.75" before I [maybe] bite on Lurpiv. Digging the Royals too much :P

I’d quit skating before I would give up my 8.25” trucks

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #709 on: November 30, 2021, 03:54:36 PM »
Just ordered the 144’s (and a tshirt to get the free shipping). The 1st truck sizes were keeping me from buying cause I’m too OCD with having my stuff flush but now since they did my size I couldn’t hold my curiosity anymore. I have high hopes!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #710 on: November 30, 2021, 05:23:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’d quit skating before I would give up my 8.25” trucks

I love the size, especially for 8.125"/8.25"/8.3" decks..hell I've been on that size since Theeve and the 8.18" were available.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #711 on: November 30, 2021, 05:34:21 PM »
I tried my buddy's set that he got in the mail in the last couple days, they turn similar to Aces out of the box. I think they aren't as high as they look, I guesstimated the distance from the wheel (54mm) to the wheelbite spot on the deck and it felt about the same distance as Aces. The kingpin is nice, I tried smithing a very abrasive ledge several times and it seemed that the kingpin didn't catch on the ledge much at all, I think the only time it made contact was when I overestimated how much I should be dipping the smith going into the grind. I hope they switch to a kingpin with an allen key hole in the center though, I think there's still the potential to wear the kingpin down enough to the point that it's too difficult to tighten or loosen the trucks with a standard skate tool. Speaking of which, my friend told me that when he was setting them up he found that the wheel axle nuts were slightly too big to fit into a skate tool, so putting on the wheels was a challenge for him. I'm assuming they didn't QC those parts very thoroughly because I doubt Lurpiv expects their customers to buy their own unique tool for their trucks.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #712 on: November 30, 2021, 06:26:53 PM »
Okay lads first impressions from someone thats skates mostly ledges and flat, has been on ventures for the past 2.5 years and has never skated standard height indys (I am clearly not the target demographic).

Current setup: 8.5 14.25 DLX board, 52mm classic fulls (probably about 50 now), 5.8 ventures with flat top washer, titanium hangers. Only swapped out trucks, no adjustments whatsoever on the lurpivs.

They feel tall, and tippy. They're not even any looser than my ventures but the turn is crazy, I'm scared to max out the turn because I feel like I'm going to fall off my board before I hit wheelbite. Its wild being able go actually carve, as opposed to only go in a straight line and lean. Not that I ever felt limited by the turn on ventures, but its very fun and liberating to not have to tic-tac when making a u-turn.

Grind was smoother than ventures, felt very nice. Pinch on crooked grinds a bit worse, but maybe I just haven't found the optimal position to hold them yet since the truck articulates so differently. I was sitting on them a bit longer by the end of the session. By no means a dealbreaker even if worse than ventures.

They're a lot heavier and higher than my ventures, but due to the recessed wheelbase the pop felt noticeably lighter. I could still do all my tricks, but not quite as well or confidently as I just didn't feel as stable on my board. This was probably due to a combination of a) the trucks being taller, b) me expecting my trucks to stay very straight and linear when setting up and rolling away, c) the recessed wheelbase. Definitely struggled a little bit with pop, ollieing up this three stair I always do required some intention where it used to feel like nothing, and I was also a bit less confident kickflipping up it although it was still very doable.

A few tricks worked very well, nollie frontside flips, kickflip noseslides off the top of my head for whatever reason.

I'll probably tighten them a little once they break in and set them up with a longer board, 14.5 wheelbase or something and it will probably feel a lot more comfortable. Being 6ft5, 14.25 was the bare minimum I could do even with ventures.

If I wanted to objectively maximize my performance I'd probably go straight back to my old setup. But I could definitely see myself figuring these out and having a lot of fun on them. Will definitely skate them until at least the end of the year and see how I'm feeling. I skated aces a long time ago and I feel like they're definitely more controllable than aces.

They're very good trucks, and the fact that I'm coming from the opposite side of the truck spectrum and was still able to land most of my usual routine on my first session means that they'll probably be just fine even for me if I stick with them in the long run.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 07:04:04 PM by tzhangdox »

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #713 on: November 30, 2021, 10:51:48 PM »
DM'd about my order from a few weeks ago and the response was basically "idk should be there soon" lol

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #714 on: November 30, 2021, 11:42:30 PM »
Speaking of which, my friend told me that when he was setting them up he found that the wheel axle nuts were slightly too big to fit into a skate tool, so putting on the wheels was a challenge for him. I'm assuming they didn't QC those parts very thoroughly because I doubt Lurpiv expects their customers to buy their own unique tool for their trucks.
The bolts are European sized. That’s why the nuts don’t fit your tool. The kingpin side of the tool should work, even if a bit loose.
I’m assuming that all the bolts from the truck are the same size, which is pretty cool since it simplifies things.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #715 on: December 01, 2021, 12:30:21 AM »
Awesome review @tzhangdox! Gnarred!

When the 8.75” ones drop, I’ll get a set! I’m too tempted by everything I read here.

FWIW, I asked them on Instagram if and when they’d be available in shops and they had no idea. Just suggested I’d order a shirt or team up with a homie to get free shipping instead of paying 25€ for shipping one set to Finland.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #716 on: December 01, 2021, 01:29:50 AM »
Fuck, you guys make me wanna try them. I've started moving towards a lower truck since everything felt so stable and crisp skating (tensor->theeve->was thinking royal?), but these sound sweet and tempting. Has anyone tried the new royals AND the lurps?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #717 on: December 01, 2021, 02:21:03 AM »
Signing under what Roisto said. That @tzhangdox review was great.
He's coming from a similar perspective as me. I rode indy's for the last few years, but never the standards, always the forged at 53,5mm which is the tallest truck ever I rode. Also just switched to Ventures V-Hollows a month ago, and with some bones meds they actually do turn nicely and feel surfy but they do not carve as deep as Indy's IMO. That sometimes throws me off balance when landing not as parallel (from a blacktail for example), but I was getting used to that and actually really enjoying them, they feel really snappy.
With Lurpiv's I'm looking forward for that familiar deep carve, and actually the weight doesn't scare me cause it's pretty close to the indy forged I rode for so long. Hight is the only thing that is sketching me out but I think since I'm also going from 53mm wheels to 52s might not feel like such a change. Let's see, I'm super excited to try them out!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #718 on: December 01, 2021, 03:16:46 AM »
He's coming from a similar perspective as me. I rode indy's for the last few years, but never the standards, always the forged at 53,5mm which is the tallest truck ever I rode. Also just switched to Ventures V-Hollows a month ago, and with some bones meds they actually do turn nicely and feel surfy but they do not carve as deep as Indy's IMO. That sometimes throws me off balance when landing not as parallel (from a blacktail for example), but I was getting used to that and actually really enjoying them, they feel really snappy.
With Lurpiv's I'm looking forward for that familiar deep carve, and actually the weight doesn't scare me cause it's pretty close to the indy forged I rode for so long. Hight is the only thing that is sketching me out but I think since I'm also going from 53mm wheels to 52s might not feel like such a change. Let's see, I'm super excited to try them out!

53.5 mm to 55 mm trucks you’d have to reduce your wheel size by 3 mm to keep the same height as half of the wheel diameter is below the axle. So you’d have to go from 53 mm to 50 mm.

But as there are so many other variables (deck tail & nose lengths and steepnesses, truck weights, truck wheelbase extension etc.) at play here the only way of really knowing how it’d work is to try it out. And that makes it all the more interesting albeit sometimes also very difficult.  :)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #719 on: December 01, 2021, 05:07:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

53.5 mm to 55 mm trucks you’d have to reduce your wheel size by 3 mm to keep the same height as half of the wheel diameter is below the axle. So you’d have to go from 53 mm to 50 mm.

But as there are so many other variables (deck tail & nose lengths and steepnesses, truck weights, truck wheelbase extension etc.) at play here the only way of really knowing how it’d work is to try it out. And that makes it all the more interesting albeit sometimes also very difficult.  :)

Yeah I know... Reducing 1mm on the wheels only "lowers" the truck hight to 54,5mm, but 1mm difference is probably barely noticeable tbf.
I just kinda wish brands would keep a more middle of the road hight at 52 or 53mm. You can easily add a riser if you like a higher truck. It's not like you can just lower it tho. Well, lets see...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP