Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 134174 times)

IpathCats

Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #720 on: December 01, 2021, 05:37:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Signing under what Roisto said. That @tzhangdox review was great.
He's coming from a similar perspective as me. I rode indy's for the last few years, but never the standards, always the forged at 53,5mm which is the tallest truck ever I rode. Also just switched to Ventures V-Hollows a month ago, and with some bones meds they actually do turn nicely and feel surfy but they do not carve as deep as Indy's IMO. That sometimes throws me off balance when landing not as parallel (from a blacktail for example), but I was getting used to that and actually really enjoying them, they feel really snappy.
With Lurpiv's I'm looking forward for that familiar deep carve, and actually the weight doesn't scare me cause it's pretty close to the indy forged I rode for so long. Hight is the only thing that is sketching me out but I think since I'm also going from 53mm wheels to 52s might not feel like such a change. Let's see, I'm super excited to try them out!
[close]

53.5 mm to 55 mm trucks you’d have to reduce your wheel size by 3 mm to keep the same height as half of the wheel diameter is below the axle. So you’d have to go from 53 mm to 50 mm.

But as there are so many other variables (deck tail & nose lengths and steepnesses, truck weights, truck wheelbase extension etc.) at play here the only way of really knowing how it’d work is to try it out. And that makes it all the more interesting albeit sometimes also very difficult.  :)
[close]

Yeah I know... Reducing 1mm on the wheels only "lowers" the truck hight to 54,5mm, but 1mm difference is probably barely noticeable tbf.
I just kinda wish brands would keep a more middle of the road hight at 52 or 53mm. You can easily add a riser if you like a higher truck. It's not like you can just lower it tho. Well, lets see...

@Sk.A.T.A.N bout to start testing the limits of baseplate thinness

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #721 on: December 01, 2021, 05:59:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Signing under what Roisto said. That @tzhangdox review was great.
He's coming from a similar perspective as me. I rode indy's for the last few years, but never the standards, always the forged at 53,5mm which is the tallest truck ever I rode. Also just switched to Ventures V-Hollows a month ago, and with some bones meds they actually do turn nicely and feel surfy but they do not carve as deep as Indy's IMO. That sometimes throws me off balance when landing not as parallel (from a blacktail for example), but I was getting used to that and actually really enjoying them, they feel really snappy.
With Lurpiv's I'm looking forward for that familiar deep carve, and actually the weight doesn't scare me cause it's pretty close to the indy forged I rode for so long. Hight is the only thing that is sketching me out but I think since I'm also going from 53mm wheels to 52s might not feel like such a change. Let's see, I'm super excited to try them out!
[close]

53.5 mm to 55 mm trucks you’d have to reduce your wheel size by 3 mm to keep the same height as half of the wheel diameter is below the axle. So you’d have to go from 53 mm to 50 mm.

But as there are so many other variables (deck tail & nose lengths and steepnesses, truck weights, truck wheelbase extension etc.) at play here the only way of really knowing how it’d work is to try it out. And that makes it all the more interesting albeit sometimes also very difficult.  :)
[close]

Yeah I know... Reducing 1mm on the wheels only "lowers" the truck hight to 54,5mm, but 1mm difference is probably barely noticeable tbf.
I just kinda wish brands would keep a more middle of the road hight at 52 or 53mm. You can easily add a riser if you like a higher truck. It's not like you can just lower it tho. Well, lets see...
[close]

@Sk.A.T.A.N bout to start testing the limits of baseplate thinness

Ahahah I hope 1mm is enough to hold the nuts!  ;D

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #722 on: December 01, 2021, 06:27:49 AM »

Totally agree with this. I am unable to skate anything higher than thunder with forged plates and 52mm wheels. It gets better as the wheels wear of, with sub-50mm being perfect. This reduces the available choice for trucks. Tried standard indys multiple times on different boards and could not enjoy them. It was a constant struggle to not ghost-pop.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #723 on: December 01, 2021, 07:31:18 AM »
Mine arrived yesterday and this happened to me also on all four axles. It's on there solid but will def be a problem over time. DM'd Lurpiv and they said there was a bad batch and they are sending replacement axle nuts. Be sure to contact them if this happened to you also.
Untitled by , on Flickr

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #724 on: December 01, 2021, 08:05:24 AM »
Mine arrived yesterday and this happened to me also on all four axles. It's on there solid but will def be a problem over time. DM'd Lurpiv and they said there was a bad batch and they are sending replacement axle nuts. Be sure to contact them if this happened to you also.
Untitled by , on Flickr

Does the nut fall off? Cause if still holds the nut in place I guess I'm fine with a little bit of "nut foreskin". I can always circumcise it with a razor...  ;D
Worst case scenario I have some standard Axle nuts at home that I can easily replace.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #725 on: December 01, 2021, 09:23:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Untitled by , on Flickr
[close]

Does the nut fall off? Cause if still holds the nut in place I guess I'm fine with a little bit of "nut foreskin". I can always circumcise it with a razor...  ;D
Worst case scenario I have some standard Axle nuts at home that I can easily replace.
It's on there pretty good, can't finger loosen it or anything. I messaged them mainly to tell them about future QC improvements but they were nice enough to send extra axle nuts. The nylon might be an issue down the line might not, who knows?

Also this was definitely a manufacturing issue as I was extra careful tightening them slowly while making sure everything was level.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #726 on: December 01, 2021, 10:05:19 AM »
Untitled by , on Flickr

Oh wow yes this happened to mine too, I was trying to be conscious of it while putting on the wheels but i couldnt get it to stay in while also turning the nuts. Gonna hit em up about it

edit: Just heard back from them, sounds like they had planned on sending the new nuts already so they may be aware of who got bad ones and who didnt. gonna run these nuts til i cant anymore anyways. ALSO for those wondering about the nut sizes, both axle and kingpin are 13mm
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 11:24:17 AM by jerrygurneyscream »

shpongle

• Rep: 204
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #727 on: December 01, 2021, 11:54:12 AM »

review on the LURPIV'S

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #728 on: December 01, 2021, 12:36:00 PM »
The bolts are European sized.

That's a funny way of describing the system of measurement used in like 95% of the world.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

STAH

• Rep: 4
« Reply #729 on: December 01, 2021, 12:48:03 PM »
Expand Quote
The bolts are European sized.
[close]

That's a funny way of describing the system of measurement used in like 95% of the world.

hahahaha fuckin true

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #730 on: December 01, 2021, 08:39:44 PM »
Hovering my cursor over the order button, and $114 shipped has me apprehensive. 

Anyone gone from Ventures so these that can comment on the differences?

139 vs 144 for an 8.0 - 8.1 board?
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

hamm

• Rep: 0
« Reply #731 on: December 02, 2021, 12:38:52 AM »
This one is actually worth a watch. Craig skates so good

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #732 on: December 02, 2021, 01:37:36 AM »
from a page back
Okay lads first impressions from someone thats skates mostly ledges and flat, has been on ventures for the past 2.5 years and has never skated standard height indys (I am clearly not the target demographic).

Current setup: 8.5 14.25 DLX board, 52mm classic fulls (probably about 50 now), 5.8 ventures with flat top washer, titanium hangers. Only swapped out trucks, no adjustments whatsoever on the lurpivs.

They feel tall, and tippy. They're not even any looser than my ventures but the turn is crazy, I'm scared to max out the turn because I feel like I'm going to fall off my board before I hit wheelbite. Its wild being able go actually carve, as opposed to only go in a straight line and lean. Not that I ever felt limited by the turn on ventures, but its very fun and liberating to not have to tic-tac when making a u-turn.

Grind was smoother than ventures, felt very nice. Pinch on crooked grinds a bit worse, but maybe I just haven't found the optimal position to hold them yet since the truck articulates so differently. I was sitting on them a bit longer by the end of the session. By no means a dealbreaker even if worse than ventures.

They're a lot heavier and higher than my ventures, but due to the recessed wheelbase the pop felt noticeably lighter. I could still do all my tricks, but not quite as well or confidently as I just didn't feel as stable on my board. This was probably due to a combination of a) the trucks being taller, b) me expecting my trucks to stay very straight and linear when setting up and rolling away, c) the recessed wheelbase. Definitely struggled a little bit with pop, ollieing up this three stair I always do required some intention where it used to feel like nothing, and I was also a bit less confident kickflipping up it although it was still very doable.

A few tricks worked very well, nollie frontside flips, kickflip noseslides off the top of my head for whatever reason.

I'll probably tighten them a little once they break in and set them up with a longer board, 14.5 wheelbase or something and it will probably feel a lot more comfortable. Being 6ft5, 14.25 was the bare minimum I could do even with ventures.

If I wanted to objectively maximize my performance I'd probably go straight back to my old setup. But I could definitely see myself figuring these out and having a lot of fun on them. Will definitely skate them until at least the end of the year and see how I'm feeling. I skated aces a long time ago and I feel like they're definitely more controllable than aces.

They're very good trucks, and the fact that I'm coming from the opposite side of the truck spectrum and was still able to land most of my usual routine on my first session means that they'll probably be just fine even for me if I stick with them in the long run.

i would personally run the 144s
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

IpathCats

« Reply #733 on: December 02, 2021, 05:50:28 AM »
Hovering my cursor over the order button, and $114 shipped has me apprehensive. 

These are very different from ventures. higher, Lighter pop feel, more surfy, less pinchy, faster less harsh feeling grind, slightly less stable but still very stable for a truck that turns this well.

IpathCats

« Reply #734 on: December 02, 2021, 05:53:28 AM »
Contacted lurpiv about my axel nuts and my one pivot cup that's acting up, they said a replacement was on the way. I wonder if they meant for both? Extra pivot cups for these would be sick.

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #735 on: December 02, 2021, 07:06:52 AM »
Am I at the age/point where I can get a new pair of trucks even though my af1 aren't at the axle?

I mean that's like 2-3 bar outings not including food and ride.

Also want an excuse to paint some metal.  Are these taller the af1 aces?

Sincerely , lilboosie XOXO

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #736 on: December 02, 2021, 07:09:35 AM »
Buncha Youtube reviews but nothing from Papa Ben or the Gifted Hater. No watching until such a time.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #737 on: December 02, 2021, 09:11:09 AM »

review on the LURPIV'S

"ACEs, known for being a pretty light truck"

Dude has no credibility now.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #738 on: December 02, 2021, 09:23:35 AM »
Expand Quote

review on the LURPIV'S
[close]

pronouncing “thoughts” as “dots” did it for me
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #739 on: December 02, 2021, 09:42:05 AM »
Expand Quote

review on the LURPIV'S
[close]

lol we follow each other on Instagram and he seems like an overall sweet dude but that’s hilarious.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #740 on: December 02, 2021, 09:48:05 AM »
He's a good skateboarder. But he also measured the weight of a 9" truck against the weight of an 8.5" truck. There again, we do live in a post-science world...

I'll try Lurpiv if the 8.75"s make it to a local skate shop before the Ace 8.75"s . You hear that Joey T?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #741 on: December 02, 2021, 10:18:06 AM »
Probably already mentioned here but it seems that the axle and kingpin nuts don't seem to be the standard size. The axle nuts can be adjusted fine by the kingpin part of your normal skate tool despite there being some extra room.

Similar thing with one of my kingpin nuts, but the other one is too small to be adjusted by the tool at all, so currently am stuck and unable to adjust my back truck which is starting to loosen up a bit. Little bit annoying but just emailed them.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #742 on: December 02, 2021, 10:20:28 AM »
I’m always contacting manufactures to complain about the metric system

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #743 on: December 02, 2021, 10:28:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

review on the LURPIV'S
[close]

[close]

"Churning" for turning too

animalflesh

« Reply #744 on: December 02, 2021, 10:52:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

review on the LURPIV'S
[close]

[close]
[close]

"Churning" for turning too
Heighth

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #745 on: December 02, 2021, 05:19:05 PM »

Nah

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #746 on: December 02, 2021, 05:38:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nah
They seem to believe oski is actually designing/ making the trucks and somehow the other truck brands don't have skaters designing theirs.
Altho does prove if you're kinda good at skating you can skate anything.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #747 on: December 02, 2021, 08:08:40 PM »
Set up the lurps on a bbs 8.5, 14.5wb, 32.1-32.2ish board with some 52mm conical fulls.

Very different to my short and compact venture setup, which on lurpivs felt a little unstable. This shit is heavy as fuck, but flatground feels very nice after some adjustments.

Although I don't have to pop as hard, I gotta jump higher, flick harder and further out, stay in the air for longer and slow down. Takes more effort but all my flip tricks worked very well and were very lofty. Flip ins, getting tech, and skating with tired legs all would be more difficult. All this is due to the whole setup changing, not the trucks in particular.

Also tightened the lurpivs down for a bit more stability, much tighter than my ventures but they still turn way more. Trying to replicate my perfect venture setup is definitely an effort in vain, but I'm liking this a lot for very different reasons.

If you're coming from ventures, thunders etc and you want it to feel very similar its probably not going to work. But if you take some time adapting, and maybe tinker with your board a little or something and adjust your technique a bit, it can be quite nice and refreshing to have something that skates very different and feels great.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 08:26:03 PM by tzhangdox »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #748 on: December 02, 2021, 11:26:12 PM »
Sick! That’s what I wanna hear. Ventures are hella stable but once you wanna make them turn you gotta loose them up a lot, so they become wobbly and not so stable anymore. With my previous Indy’s I could ride tighter trucks and still turn a lot, it didn’t require a lot of lean to carve around so that to me made them really stable! I expect something on that vein from the Lurpivs.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

hotdogsweatpants

• Rep: 67
« Reply #749 on: December 03, 2021, 01:53:26 AM »
He's a good skateboarder. But he also measured the weight of a 9" truck against the weight of an 8.5" truck. There again, we do live in a post-science world...

This was the worst part IMO.  Acting impressed that the Lurpiv 149s were lighter than the Indy 159s, no shit...

ZD used to make good videos, but since he became a more regular, vlog style Youtuber, the quality has seriously diminished.  A shame really as he was one of the few transition-focused Youtubers.

People on the previous page are picking his language apart, my least favourite thing he says is "you guyses opinion". Just say "you guys' opinion", jesus.
The pant situation is out of control at this point