Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 143361 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #840 on: December 22, 2021, 07:46:55 PM »
In the last frame, that totally looks like a crack through to the right side in the hanger.

Probably just a scratch though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #841 on: December 22, 2021, 07:52:40 PM »
In the last frame, that totally looks like a crack through to the right side in the hanger.

Its a scratch from skating a weirdly sharp ledge

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #842 on: December 22, 2021, 07:59:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That is good then.

Meant to also say it is good to see someone really going to town on them and skating them normally, rather than some others I know who would try their hardest to keep them looking as pristine as they could for as long as possible.

You might be the first one to get through them, so it would be good to keep weekly or regular pics of the wear, if for nothing more than just curiosity and the interest of Slap people.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #843 on: December 22, 2021, 08:39:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That is good then.

Meant to also say it is good to see someone really going to town on them and skating them normally, rather than some others I know who would try their hardest to keep them looking as pristine as they could for as long as possible.

You might be the first one to get through them, so it would be good to keep weekly or regular pics of the wear, if for nothing more than just curiosity and the interest of Slap people.

They'll probably look pretty much like this for a while until I really start eating into the hanger. But will update if that happens. Going to give them another month or so on this board and a slightly different shape. As good as these are, unsure if I will stick to these or go back to ventures in the long run.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #844 on: December 23, 2021, 12:23:41 AM »

These are your buddies' bent axle pair? It's hard to get a read on them with the wheels being that coned.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #845 on: December 24, 2021, 07:33:50 PM »

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #846 on: December 24, 2021, 11:16:41 PM »
^What he said about it feeling like a tight truck that turns (if you run them tight), and the parental controls before getting wheelbite is very accurate. If you want to turn past that point, not that I really see a need to, you can but only if you really lean into it with intention.

toe_knee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • Get bent
« Reply #847 on: December 25, 2021, 07:30:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

These are your buddies' bent axle pair? It's hard to get a read on them with the wheels being that coned.

My bad everyone yea the pic doesn’t do it justice, the right wheel is bent towards the board slightly, and yes he’s skated the fuck out of them, what’s super funny is that oski actually came to our local to skate the bowl in the back and he and my friend talked about the trucks so he actually got to tell him face to face what’s going on, I’m not sure if he is gonna send them in or end up getting something else
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #848 on: December 25, 2021, 07:50:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

My bad everyone yea the pic doesn’t do it justice, the right wheel is bent towards the board slightly, and yes he’s skated the fuck out of them, what’s super funny is that oski actually came to our local to skate the bowl in the back and he and my friend talked about the trucks so he actually got to tell him face to face what’s going on, I’m not sure if he is gonna send them in or end up getting something else

No worries. I figured it was the right wheel in that pic, I can sorta see a slight tilt. But yeah that shit's hard to photograph sometimes unless it's like a 45 degree bend. Bummer. Definitely seems like there's enough issues floating around to warrant a v.2 already. I'm not worried about bending anything with the low impact stuff I do, but hangers falling off is more than a little sketch.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #849 on: December 25, 2021, 08:15:04 AM »
^What he said about it feeling like a tight truck that turns (if you run them tight), and the parental controls before getting wheelbite is very accurate. If you want to turn past that point, not that I really see a need to, you can but only if you really lean into it with intention.

Yeah he’s right on that part, but I don’t agree with the unmatched Ace turning part. Those trucks turn crazy deep with no wheelbite, probably because of them being taller. They just don’t feel uncontrollably loose like Aces do, they’re more stable and that’s a good thing imo… you can even see in his clip at 3:40 how sharp he turned there. I have aces on my cruiser board I also got people that ride aces to try them and everyone was surprised with how well they turned while not feeling like a balancing board.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

laterskater

• Rep: 3
« Reply #850 on: December 25, 2021, 08:31:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah he’s right on that part, but I don’t agree with the unmatched Ace turning part. Those trucks turn crazy deep with no wheelbite, probably because of them being taller. They just don’t feel uncontrollably loose like Aces do, they’re more stable and that’s a good thing imo… you can even see in his clip at 3:40 how sharp he turned there. I have aces on my cruiser board I also got people that ride aces to try them and everyone was surprised with how well they turned while not feeling like a balancing board.

I totally agree with you. I feel that they turn deeper than my aces but are more stable as well.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1956
« Reply #851 on: December 25, 2021, 08:32:28 AM »
I like GH but I feel like if these weren’t a “cool” new brand he woulda gone in harder. The problems he listed are pretty inexcusable for the market and those trucks sound fundamentally useless.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #852 on: December 25, 2021, 09:24:18 AM »

this sounds to me like how ventures ride for me generally, but i expect lurpivs to turn a lot tighter right out of the gate.

i'm probably gonna get a pair when they make the first revision, sounds like they ride like what i'm looking for. something between venture and indy or ace.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #853 on: December 25, 2021, 09:51:20 AM »
I like GH but I feel like if these weren’t a “cool” new brand he woulda gone in harder. The problems he listed are pretty inexcusable for the market and those trucks sound fundamentally useless.

I think that might be true but he’s considering that Oski actually has the intent to create something different, and it genuinely is a small operation. If it were the berrics that started a meeting truck brand I’m sure he’d go harder, but I think it’s fair to give someone like Oski the benefit of the doubt by comparison. In the end, he recommends to not buy the trucks until the issues are resolved, which is still plenty harsh.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #854 on: December 25, 2021, 10:09:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think that might be true but he’s considering that Oski actually has the intent to create something different, and it genuinely is a small operation. If it were the berrics that started a meeting truck brand I’m sure he’d go harder, but I think it’s fair to give someone like Oski the benefit of the doubt by comparison. In the end, he recommends to not buy the trucks until the issues are resolved, which is still plenty harsh.

I guess. It makes me wonder how long the trial process was before these hit the market. I’ve had some pretty terrible trucks in my day and none of them malfunctioned like that.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #855 on: December 25, 2021, 10:27:49 AM »
Now, time to get nerdy **cuffs up the sleeves**

Kingpin side of the story… I think this is where these trucks fall short. That thing just isn't well thought through imo.
I was actually nerding out on it with @PuffinMuffin and I think I understand now why the kingpin is flawed.

I think there's 2 factors holding them back. Quality of the nuts, and the kingpin design itself:

So, first: Nuts aren't great to start with. They feel like a soft aluminium and I actually almost fucked up one of them when putting my wheels on cause it engaged a bit crooked and then it was a pain in the ass to actually correct the screw and be able to screw it back again. I think this happened cause my tool doesn't fit properly the size of the nut (metric scale used on these versus the inch scale of skate tools). Stiiiill, it was the first time screwing them, brand new nuts and axle, kinda crazy how the nut stripped right away with me barely putting any force. After like 30 mins trying to screw it properly I managed to get it in and it seems tight, but kinda worried about the next time I need to take the wheels off tho...
From what others said the Nylock isn't great either, which might explain why the kingpin gets loose with the vibration/impact and starts coming off. Which leads to my next point:

Second flaw: The kingpin gets thinner at the bottom to fit the same bolt size used on the axle.
On the pic bellow I'm holding the Kingpin nut against the axle one, it's same nut, same exact size:

This sounded really smart at first, consolidating parts, but after a deeper analyses I realised that the looser you have the trucks, the less contact you have between the baseplate and the kingpin. This makes it more prone to "boring out" the hole and getting a loose and wobbly kingpin.
I made this quick illustration on top of the X-ray of the Lurpivs I found on instagram (posted a few pages ago) to illustrate what I think it happens:

So the kingpin is the most stable when tight to the max. I filmed this quick video to show what I mean. The deeper it is the tighter it gets (that's what she said  8) ). But for the loose trucks crowd this is a big concern.

Also made this quick one to illustrate why I think that (in theory) a consistent width kingpin would make it less prone to boring out the hole and have a wobbly kingpin:

No sure if all of this makes sense, I ain't a engineer but as a product designer I like to analyse those things and figure how shit works...

I hope Lurpiv either finds a fix for this or just ditches the inverted kingpin altogether. (I actually saw them posting in the IG stories the other day someone that put a regular kingpin in them, so I might try to play around that later if they start giving me problems)
Tbh I always rode normal kingpins my whole life, and as a heavy smith/feeble fan I never felt the need of an inverted kingpin. Brings more problems than it solves as everyone can tell.

So, to conclude, I'm actually enjoying the hell out of my pair for now, it's a super fun ride. But I only had like 3 seshes in them yet (covid got me paused   :'( ).
It's not long enough to fell any drastic problem, altho I can see a slight kingpin wobble already. (or it's other people's complaints messing up with my head)... Let's see.
I think there's so much potential for this trucks to be amazing, honestly the most "comfortable" trucks I ever tried geometry wise. Lurpiv, get your shit together dawg, I wanna keep riding them!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #856 on: December 25, 2021, 10:46:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

this sounds to me like how ventures ride for me generally, but i expect lurpivs to turn a lot tighter right out of the gate.

i'm probably gonna get a pair when they make the first revision, sounds like they ride like what i'm looking for. something between venture and indy or ace.

Except compared to these, ventures feel like they only 'lean' whereas these actually turn. And they turn wayyyyy tighter, and have that second stage of turn whereas ventures max out.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #857 on: December 25, 2021, 01:11:18 PM »
Now, time to get nerdy **cuffs up the sleeves**

Kingpin side of the story… I think this is where these trucks fall short. That thing just isn't well thought through imo.
I was actually nerding out on it with @PuffinMuffin and I think I understand now why the kingpin is flawed.

I think there's 2 factors holding them back. Quality of the nuts, and the kingpin design itself:

So, first: Nuts aren't great to start with. They feel like a soft aluminium and I actually almost fucked up one of them when putting my wheels on cause it engaged a bit crooked and then it was a pain in the ass to actually correct the screw and be able to screw it back again. I think this happened cause my tool doesn't fit properly the size of the nut (metric scale used on these versus the inch scale of skate tools). Stiiiill, it was the first time screwing them, brand new nuts and axle, kinda crazy how the nut stripped right away with me barely putting any force. After like 30 mins trying to screw it properly I managed to get it in and it seems tight, but kinda worried about the next time I need to take the wheels off tho...
From what others said the Nylock isn't great either, which might explain why the kingpin gets loose with the vibration/impact and starts coming off. Which leads to my next point:

Second flaw: The kingpin gets thinner at the bottom to fit the same bolt size used on the axle.
On the pic bellow I'm holding the Kingpin nut against the axle one, it's same nut, same exact size:

This sounded really smart at first, consolidating parts, but after a deeper analyses I realised that the looser you have the trucks, the less contact you have between the baseplate and the kingpin. This makes it more prone to "boring out" the hole and getting a loose and wobbly kingpin.
I made this quick illustration on top of the X-ray of the Lurpivs I found on instagram (posted a few pages ago) to illustrate what I think it happens:

So the kingpin is the most stable when tight to the max. I filmed this quick video to show what I mean. The deeper it is the tighter it gets (that's what she said  8) ). But for the loose trucks crowd this is a big concern.

Also made this quick one to illustrate why I think that (in theory) a consistent width kingpin would make it less prone to boring out the hole and have a wobbly kingpin:

No sure if all of this makes sense, I ain't a engineer but as a product designer I like to analyse those things and figure how shit works...

I hope Lurpiv either finds a fix for this or just ditches the inverted kingpin altogether. (I actually saw them posting in the IG stories the other day someone that put a regular kingpin in them, so I might try to play around that later if they start giving me problems)
Tbh I always rode normal kingpins my whole life, and as a heavy smith/feeble fan I never felt the need of an inverted kingpin. Brings more problems than it solves as everyone can tell.

So, to conclude, I'm actually enjoying the hell out of my pair for now, it's a super fun ride. But I only had like 3 seshes in them yet (covid got me paused   :'( ).
It's not long enough to fell any drastic problem, altho I can see a slight kingpin wobble already. (or it's other people's complaints messing up with my head)... Let's see.
I think there's so much potential for this trucks to be amazing, honestly the most "comfortable" trucks I ever tried geometry wise. Lurpiv, get your shit together dawg, I wanna keep riding them!

You’ve got very good points there IMO. Great analysis with good illustrations. I am an engineer but not a mechanical engineer so my opinion probably isn’t any more valid than yours though.

I am still very tempted by these but with all these issues I’m hearing about I’m more inclined to wait it out a bit longer as I’ve still got plenty of Aces to go through and there’s still no 8.75” option.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #858 on: December 25, 2021, 02:27:02 PM »
Either new standard lurpivs or he just changed it.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #859 on: December 25, 2021, 03:07:55 PM »
After the GH review I'm definitely waiting for a kingpin update
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #860 on: December 25, 2021, 03:10:14 PM »
For what its worth, mine have loosened maybe a quarter turn here n there on occasion after a few hours of skating but they've never even come close to what he described. My other friend who I ordered the lurpivs with also doesn't have these issues. I skate them probably medium though, maybe would be considered slightly on the tighter side for most since I'm about 190 pounds.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #861 on: December 25, 2021, 03:17:17 PM »
You’ve got very good points there IMO. Great analysis with good illustrations. I am an engineer but not a mechanical engineer so my opinion probably isn’t any more valid than yours though.

I am still very tempted by these but with all these issues I’m hearing about I’m more inclined to wait it out a bit longer as I’ve still got plenty of Aces to go through and there’s still no 8.75” option.

Thanks man! I’m really used to make informative illustrations alongside my design techpacks to explain  ideas, it’s one of the things I enjoy the most on my job.  ;D

Just got told from a highly reliable source that from Monday onwards all Lurpivs are coming stock like that. Supposedly people will get sent new kingpins too, not sure if you just need to ask or they are forwarding them on their own. Either way I’m stoked. It’s the only thing holding those trucks back from being awesome.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #862 on: December 25, 2021, 03:20:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks man! I’m really used to make informative illustrations alongside my design techpacks to explain  ideas, it’s one of the things I enjoy the most on my job.  ;D

Expand Quote

[close]
Just got told from a highly reliable source that from Monday onwards all Lurpivs are coming stock like that. Supposedly people will get sent new kingpins too, not sure if you just need to ask or they are forwarding them on their own. Either way I’m stoked. It’s the only thing holding those trucks back from being awesome.

Are they the same kingpins, just flipped over? Or is a different kingpin entirely that we have to ask for. While I don't suffer from all these kingpin issues that everyone else is talking about, having the option of a normal kingpin with a normal nut diameter would be nice.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #863 on: December 25, 2021, 03:43:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Are they the same kingpins, just flipped over? Or is a different kingpin entirely that we have to ask for. While I don't suffer from all these kingpin issues that everyone else is talking about, having the option of a normal kingpin with a normal nut diameter would be nice.

I’m actually not sure… it does look similar but flipped, altho what I got told is that supposedly the kingpin is 5mm shorter.
Trying to think how it would work if they flipped it cause the screw is not that long when cut short. I guess you couldn’t tighten them too deep.
But that nut also seems to be flush with the washer (it doesn’t seem to have the added speed-ring design) so maybe it is an all new kingpin with a new nut…

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #864 on: December 25, 2021, 04:24:30 PM »
Gnars all around for all the in-depth info, guys.

@pizzafliptofakie I was thinking the same thing about GH’s review.  Credit to him for being honest about the problems, but if they were just some random faceless truck company, there wouldn’t have been the same level of goodwill and patience.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #865 on: December 25, 2021, 05:03:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Obviously I have no real info, but if it's the same pin just flipped around, i.e not press-fit like every other normal kingpin truck, that'd be a bandaid on a bullet wound kind of solution. A merely snug fitting bolt that's not pressed in will wiggle and distort the plate real quick, not to mention loosening up all the same, just visibly. They'd probably be better off sending replacement baseplates with the pins already pressed in, like those Indy replacement plates. And if they are supposed to be pressed in with splines and everything, that might be a bit much for some people to wanna do on their own.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #866 on: December 25, 2021, 07:57:05 PM »
Gnars all around for all the in-depth info, guys.

@pizzafliptofakie I was thinking the same thing about GH’s review.  Credit to him for being honest about the problems, but if they were just some random faceless truck company, there wouldn’t have been the same level of goodwill and patience.

I’m glad someone else sees it that way, haha. Anytime a new truck company emerges with some new shtick they get laughed out of the industry. Good luck to Oski for future iterations, but could you imagine the reaction if these flaws happened with some Royal trucks?

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #867 on: December 25, 2021, 10:06:22 PM »

Has anyone else ever noticed that this picture doesn't really make sense? It drives me nuts.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #868 on: December 26, 2021, 12:43:29 AM »
thats a lot of money for an unflipped board
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #869 on: December 26, 2021, 02:58:18 AM »

If you have kingpin issues just email and they'll send you some new ones.