Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69492 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #270 on: November 18, 2021, 07:33:32 PM »
I got the madness so bad I made this account just to provide the information I was desperately searching for.

They have a the stability feeling of a venture with an ace-like turn. The pinch I would say is closest to an Indy which I’ve never struggled with. That makes sense considering my axle-to-axle wb is ~17.125, averaged out from measuring both sides when the trucks were new and after my two sessions on them. The grind feels similar to an Indy metal, but due to the shape a more thunder lock in. I think they nailed it with the 52mm height for me and my sub-52mm classics. Bushings broke in right away, and tightened a bit with use. I kept them factory tightness and they were perfectly even back and front. The best part is, the baseplate grinds like an Indy/venture/ace. When they come out with the hollows and lights I’m certain I will become a lifer. Only negative think I can think of is the mayonnaise jar sized amount of lube they put in the pivot cups. My first slappy and it flew out like a cumshot and landed on my hanger haha. Feel free to ask questions or if you want more pictures, I’ll do my best. Cheers!

Creating an account on skateboarding's most hostile message board just to talk about experience with these trucks? Averaging out the wheelbase on 2 sides?

You'll fit right in - glad I ordered a pair during the SWH sale the other day.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

STAH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #271 on: November 19, 2021, 01:39:11 AM »
Expand Quote
I got the madness so bad I made this account just to provide the information I was desperately searching for.

They have a the stability feeling of a venture with an ace-like turn. The pinch I would say is closest to an Indy which I’ve never struggled with. That makes sense considering my axle-to-axle wb is ~17.125, averaged out from measuring both sides when the trucks were new and after my two sessions on them. The grind feels similar to an Indy metal, but due to the shape a more thunder lock in. I think they nailed it with the 52mm height for me and my sub-52mm classics. Bushings broke in right away, and tightened a bit with use. I kept them factory tightness and they were perfectly even back and front. The best part is, the baseplate grinds like an Indy/venture/ace. When they come out with the hollows and lights I’m certain I will become a lifer. Only negative think I can think of is the mayonnaise jar sized amount of lube they put in the pivot cups. My first slappy and it flew out like a cumshot and landed on my hanger haha. Feel free to ask questions or if you want more pictures, I’ll do my best. Cheers!
[close]

Creating an account on skateboarding's most hostile message board just to talk about experience with these trucks? Averaging out the wheelbase on 2 sides?

You'll fit right in - glad I ordered a pair during the SWH sale the other day.

WELCOME FRIEND!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #272 on: November 19, 2021, 07:07:53 AM »
Weird, my cups were bone dry. Also, perhaps I ride looser, but my stock bushing didn't seem to stiffen up at all, inf fact, I was tightening them for around 4 sessions before they stabilized.

Still stock and still having a blast on them.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #273 on: November 19, 2021, 01:51:27 PM »
Forgot it was Vet's day (here's to all of you vet's out there) and the DMV was closed, so here's a shitty clip for ya...apologies for the speed, and lack of shirt, this was right after the gym and first try :P Not captured: B/S 50-50 impossible out (it was also sloppy and gross).

The royals are still doing me right.

Good shit dude, got any tips on shuv out of slappy krooks? Been trying for a bit and can’t get the shuv to stay under me

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #274 on: November 19, 2021, 02:22:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Forgot it was Vet's day (here's to all of you vet's out there) and the DMV was closed, so here's a shitty clip for ya...apologies for the speed, and lack of shirt, this was right after the gym and first try :P Not captured: B/S 50-50 impossible out (it was also sloppy and gross).

[close]

Good shit dude, got any tips on shuv out of slappy krooks? Been trying for a bit and can’t get the shuv to stay under me

Thanks man! That was my first day trying, I've get them locked now, fast and long as I'm now sitting on top (don't forget to look down at your foot). For the record, I can 270ish out of nose slides so this was just a slight muscle memory modification (been trying those out of krooks starting yesterday, all of two tries.

Getting into them (I know, not what you are asking) was to get my foot in the krook spot before the slap, then just a little nudge, halfway to slapping into a nose slide) and really light on my back foot (more on that below) and the truck just locks in; the shuv I figured out by using the way I bail coming out 180 (not as fun).

Since it's a crook, you are already 45 degrees into the shove, if you look at the vid at like 00:00:02, I start to turn out of the krook a bit, like I'm planning to coming out 180, it almost goes to noseslide, I give it just a little nudge forward/outward with my back foot (my back foot is already in the pocket, with a little toe hang, and I am on the ball of my foot already, it's not even close to an actual shuv effort, again just a little nudge, followed by some position compensating/slight sex change stance shuffle.

Watch it at 0.25% speed and you'll see the back foot does most of the work as far as effort, front foot just a bit of twist, from there I just rotate to the right to catch it.

Put your hands flat on a table, left hand more forward than the right (krook stance), simultaneously move the left hand back, right hand forward.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 02:31:43 PM by Xen »

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #275 on: November 20, 2021, 08:52:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks man! That was my first day trying, I've get them locked now, fast and long as I'm now sitting on top (don't forget to look down at your foot). For the record, I can 270ish out of nose slides so this was just a slight muscle memory modification (been trying those out of krooks starting yesterday, all of two tries.

Getting into them (I know, not what you are asking) was to get my foot in the krook spot before the slap, then just a little nudge, halfway to slapping into a nose slide) and really light on my back foot (more on that below) and the truck just locks in; the shuv I figured out by using the way I bail coming out 180 (not as fun).

Since it's a crook, you are already 45 degrees into the shove, if you look at the vid at like 00:00:02, I start to turn out of the krook a bit, like I'm planning to coming out 180, it almost goes to noseslide, I give it just a little nudge forward/outward with my back foot (my back foot is already in the pocket, with a little toe hang, and I am on the ball of my foot already, it's not even close to an actual shuv effort, again just a little nudge, followed by some position compensating/slight sex change stance shuffle.

Thanks for the full on explanation!! I watched this a bunch of times and it really seems like I need to focus less on my feet and more on my shoulders to get the shuv out (I can slappy front nose slide shuv out, and that’s what helped with that one- different for sure but it looks like you do something similar). Gonna go to the curb spot soon and see if I can get this. I’m sure it’ll click eventually

Watch it at 0.25% speed and you'll see the back foot does most of the work as far as effort, front foot just a bit of twist, from there I just rotate to the right to catch it.

Put your hands flat on a table, left hand more forward than the right (krook stance), simultaneously move the left hand back, right hand forward.

Rattus Localis

« Reply #276 on: December 02, 2021, 05:31:12 PM »
Now that we're a few weeks in, how are everyone's Royals holding up?

I'm about to size back down to an 8 from 8.25 and am very close to snagging some Royal 139s today, while the Cyber week sales are still going.

I do have an old set of bog standard Indy 139s but I think they're gonna feel too tall, and these seem to tick all the boxes.

SHOULD I COMMIT?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #277 on: December 02, 2021, 06:26:05 PM »
Now that we're a few weeks in, how are everyone's Royals holding up?

I'm about to size back down to an 8 from 8.25 and am very close to snagging some Royal 139s today, while the Cyber week sales are still going.

I do have an old set of bog standard Indy 139s but I think they're gonna feel too tall, and these seem to tick all the boxes.

SHOULD I COMMIT?

If you posted here you already know the answer.

Where did you see deals on this truck?

Edit: mine are still 2 weeks out but I'm a total sucker for marketing, so i got a pair of the IKP
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Rattus Localis

« Reply #278 on: December 02, 2021, 08:45:07 PM »
https://www.boardersonline.com.au/royal-standard-raw-skateboard-trucks

This Aussie shop is still doing 20 percent off for cyber week.

Just looking at the pics, the hanger looks kind of different. Or maybe I'm overanalysing it. Can anyone confirm these are the new ones? I don't want to end up with the old model.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #279 on: December 02, 2021, 08:58:22 PM »

Just looking at the pics, the hanger looks kind of different. Or maybe I'm overanalysing it. Can anyone confirm these are the new ones? I don't want to end up with the old model.

The lighting on the hanger is weird, I think that's what you are seeing. The marketing attached to that image is for sure for the new model.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #280 on: December 02, 2021, 08:59:12 PM »

Can't say for sure since you can't see the bushing color. Old ones are black, new ones are a deep blue.

Best to give them a call or DM them to verify. I would be pissed too if I got a pair of the old ones.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Rattus Localis

« Reply #281 on: December 02, 2021, 09:35:08 PM »
Many thanks gents, I think I'm just gonna say "fuck it" and pull the trigger.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #282 on: December 02, 2021, 10:12:23 PM »
nice to know that the inverted version comes in 159 size..

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #283 on: December 03, 2021, 06:45:36 AM »
RTR2050-501 code used on https://www.boardersonline.com.au/royal-standard-raw-skateboard-trucks

Bring up the new royal on other sites. I'd still call/dm them to be make sure.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2021, 01:01:08 PM »
Fuck, I recently bought a pair thinking they were the new ones, but apparently they have black bushings so they're the crappy old ones.

I'll still try to skate them and see how they feel. I switched up the pivot cups and the bushings, so maybe that'll make a difference.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #285 on: December 05, 2021, 01:36:31 PM »
Fuck, I recently bought a pair thinking they were the new ones, but apparently they have black bushings so they're the crappy old ones.

I'll still try to skate them and see how they feel. I switched up the pivot cups and the bushings, so maybe that'll make a difference.

The black ones have black bushings I think. Do the baseplates say royal on both sides, or do they have two parallel lines on one side?

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #286 on: December 05, 2021, 02:07:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The black ones have black bushings I think. Do the baseplates say royal on both sides, or do they have two parallel lines on one side?

Two parallel lines on one side. Looks like the new ones say royal on both sides. Man, this is the problem with online shopping, you don’t know exactly what you’re getting all the time. Ah well

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #287 on: December 05, 2021, 05:18:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Two parallel lines on one side. Looks like the new ones say royal on both sides. Man, this is the problem with online shopping, you don’t know exactly what you’re getting all the time. Ah well

For what it's worth, I'm one of the few that liked the old version (still haven't tried the new ones). If you want a low, surfy truck, they're great. Never had a problem with them. They feel great on a DLX 8.06 (or something else with a 14.38-14.5 WB). The only reason I retired mine is cus I started skating shorter boards and couldn't find one with a WB that paired well with them.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #288 on: December 05, 2021, 05:47:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sorry to hear that my dude, got myself a pair from Skate Warehouse that are landing today, hopefully they didn't screw me on this one.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #289 on: December 05, 2021, 07:21:35 PM »
I got a ikp set from tactics with the %20 off deal.  149’s.  They arrived quickly and are the new ones…. Haven’t set them up yet because I just swapped my ventures for thunders and am liking them so don’t want to change again so soon.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #290 on: December 05, 2021, 07:23:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

For what it's worth, I'm one of the few that liked the old version (still haven't tried the new ones). If you want a low, surfy truck, they're great. Never had a problem with them. They feel great on a DLX 8.06 (or something else with a 14.38-14.5 WB). The only reason I retired mine is cus I started skating shorter boards and couldn't find one with a WB that paired well with them.

Thanks! Yeah, I'll try them out. I usually ride shorter wheelbases but it's not the end of the world, I just got sparked off reading the comments in this thread. If I don't like them, there's always some organizations here that are looking for spare parts for kids' completes, so it's never a total loss.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #291 on: December 05, 2021, 07:40:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks! Yeah, I'll try them out. I usually ride shorter wheelbases but it's not the end of the world, I just got sparked off reading the comments in this thread. If I don't like them, there's always some organizations here that are looking for spare parts for kids' completes, so it's never a total loss.

I was going to suggest sending them back for a refund, but your donation idea is way better.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #292 on: December 05, 2021, 08:48:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I liked the Royal fours. Had more than set, all were good. I’d skate them for sure, too into venture these days. I feel like the old ones (4s) were 50.5 mm tall (this is from memory and quite possibly bs), and the new ones are 52 mm tall. I prefer shorter, I think.
Not sure what effect either have on wb…I’ve skated aces, which have the least extension to the effective wb, on boards with short wheelbases, and had great results. I bring that up just to say is it’s never been that easy for to figure out what’s going to work

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #293 on: December 05, 2021, 10:59:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Low, surfy and paired with a 14.3” wb is on point.

This is the longest run I’ve not swapped trucks since I first skated ACE.

Beeker

« Reply #294 on: December 06, 2021, 12:24:07 AM »
I got a ikp set from tactics with the %20 off deal.  149’s.  They arrived quickly and are the new ones…. Haven’t set them up yet because I just swapped my ventures for thunders and am liking them so don’t want to change again so soon.

No reason not to switch unless you really need the Thunder twitch. They're basically a surfy Thunder with better baseplate-to-wheel clearance. Or in other words, a better turning Venture with a more convenient wheelbase. If those brands were the last two you skated you will love the Royals, they nailed it with these.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #295 on: December 06, 2021, 01:28:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No reason not to switch unless you really need the Thunder twitch. They're basically a surfy Thunder with better baseplate-to-wheel clearance. Or in other words, a better turning Venture with a more convenient wheelbase. If those brands were the last two you skated you will love the Royals, they nailed it with these.

Mine were supposed to be delivered today but got reschedule till tomorrow.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #296 on: December 06, 2021, 01:57:36 AM »
Oh you motherfuckers.

I was doing sooo good too.

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #297 on: December 06, 2021, 02:23:25 AM »
My biggest reason to wait is the pop feel.
I really like the long wheelbase feel of venture and thunder for the feel of my tail/nose hitting and tipping point.
How is the pop feel compared to these?
Independent feels off to me…..
Expand Quote
[close]

Beeker

« Reply #298 on: December 06, 2021, 07:05:18 AM »
My biggest reason to wait is the pop feel.
I really like the long wheelbase feel of venture and thunder for the feel of my tail/nose hitting and tipping point.
How is the pop feel compared to these?
Independent feels off to me…..
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Wheelbase and height and thus pop-feel match up most closely with Thunder as far as I can tell. Only reason to stick to Thunders is that ultra responsive turn, or if the idea of more wheel clearance on nose/tail slides has no appeal to you. I don’t see a reason to skate Ventures any more quite frankly. Not to mention the Royal bushings are way better than either of those brands.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #299 on: December 06, 2021, 08:25:43 AM »
Oh you motherfuckers.

I was doing sooo good too.

What have you been staying on?
I’ve been all venture. And it’s gonna stay that way.

But I could try these.
Maybe.