Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69647 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #360 on: December 24, 2021, 09:29:53 AM »
Expand Quote
What's the crook pinch like on these puppies?

I'm on venture low 5.2 at the moment so hard act to follow
[close]

If Venture 5.2 Lo is a 10, these are a solid 8.5 for me. The surfy turn compensate for the pinch. Slide performance just below Ventures because the baseplate is slightly recessed.

Perfect thank you

Gonna cop after Xmas
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #361 on: December 24, 2021, 11:01:29 AM »
Apparently I talked so much about them, my girlfriend got me the 144 ikp for christmas. Hope they're really that good. The kingpin clearance is incredible.

Merry Christmas!

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #362 on: December 24, 2021, 12:42:44 PM »
Apparently I talked so much about them, my girlfriend got me the 144 ikp for christmas. Hope they're really that good. The kingpin clearance is incredible.

Merry Christmas!
Lucky! You'll enjoy them. Make sure your girl knows how much you appreciate her. She's a keeper.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #363 on: December 24, 2021, 10:54:09 PM »
Expand Quote

Merry Christmas!
[close]
Lucky! You'll enjoy them. Make sure your girl knows how much you appreciate her. She's a keeper.

Damn! She's a keeper!

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #364 on: January 13, 2022, 11:27:41 AM »
Any early adopters of the new Royals care to share their experience now that they’ve been out a few months? You guys keep ‘em on and are still skating them or did you swap out? I’m on some Ventures now but sometimes they just feel a little too clunky. I’d go back to Thunders but I’m committed to skating 8” trucks lately and their 147 is too low and wheelbitey for my taste.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #365 on: January 13, 2022, 01:59:58 PM »
Any early adopters of the new Royals care to share their experience now that they’ve been out a few months? You guys keep ‘em on and are still skating them or did you swap out? I’m on some Ventures now but sometimes they just feel a little too clunky. I’d go back to Thunders but I’m committed to skating 8” trucks lately and their 147 is too low and wheelbitey for my taste.

I love mine and wouldn’t trade them for anything, they are my dream combination of features/measurements. I’m just praying for no axle slip in the future.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #366 on: January 13, 2022, 02:43:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I love mine and wouldn’t trade them for anything, they are my dream combination of features/measurements. I’m just praying for no axle slip in the future.

What are you skating them with? Width and wheelbase most importantly
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #367 on: January 13, 2022, 03:10:46 PM »
I only skated mine for 10 minutes or so….
I’m used to Venture and Thunder pop and these feel like an Indy to me.
I’m 45 and enjoy ollieing fairly high still so can’t stand getting used to the quick pop and the different balance feel.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #368 on: January 13, 2022, 05:23:08 PM »
On for about 2 months, used them for 2 decks and I still really like them. I avoided decks with WB longer than 14.25" which severely limited what decks I could ride, but the last 2 I rode (both 31.75", 14.25" / 14.38") have felt great on Royal. Weight gives you a hefty pop feel which I'm really enjoying, the Superlight version (JP only) would have been a great upgrade if you're into that tech stuff.

I'd recommend if if you want something that has the best bits of the Big 3 without excelling at any 1 area.
Surfy turn of an Indy
Nimbleness of a Thunder
Pinch and heft of a Venture
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

baustin

« Reply #369 on: January 13, 2022, 10:04:06 PM »
Appreciate the additional comments y’all. I’ll probably break and order some 139 soon because they do seem to have a lot of qualities I prefer in a truck

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #370 on: January 13, 2022, 11:09:19 PM »
Appreciate the additional comments y’all. I’ll probably break and order some 139 soon because they do seem to have a lot of qualities I prefer in a truck

I can't think of any 1 thing I dislike about them, some wheelbite maybe.

The one thing that got my goat was them releasing the Ultralight version (hollow kingpin + axle) in Japan only a month after they global release. Why not release all 3 models (Std, IKP, Ultralight) at the same time globally? Unless Royal Japan is a separate company.

But trucks wise, solid product.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fur lined sea

• Rep: 234
« Reply #371 on: January 13, 2022, 11:14:23 PM »
Currently skating Venture highs that are almost done. I've set my 144 Royals (standard kingpin) up on an 8.125 Workshop with 54mm wheels but I haven't really tested them yet. Just standing on them they feel pretty loose stock, but that just might be me after skating Ventures for a few years. I was skating Ace before that, however. The pop feels quick, so hopefully none of that ghost pop business with these.

I have high hopes for them (bought two more sets with end of year sales). I had a heap of Royals as a teen so even just the nostalgia might get me through three pairs.

I found stage 11 Indies too high and tippy. Thunders felt either too low or too far apart in terms of wheelbase. With Ace I started to feel some ghost pop like I did with Indies, but I had a good run with them. Ventures are fine (would've stuck with them if it weren't for these Royals) but sometimes I want to turn a bit more. I don't care for forged plates or risers, cast only.

I'll start skating mine soon and post in here again. Thanks to whoever posted those photos of the Hopps board with these Royals on, that sold me. I really like the look of them.
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

Beeker

« Reply #372 on: January 13, 2022, 11:43:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What are you skating them with? Width and wheelbase most importantly

149's on 8.5" popsicle with 14.38WB. The bushings have stayed very consistent, no wear yet, and amazing cold weather performance. I'm curious the duro. The metal seems like it wears a little faster (like Ace), but the grind is really good. Mine also felt very loose when I stood on them at first, but now they feel medium about half turn past flush. Wheel bite is a bit like Thunder, it's a natural consequence of a lower height and a good turn. It's not really an issue for me, but if the main reason you don't like Thunder is the wheel bite then maybe these aren't the right choice, but I still think you're missing out.

timv

« Reply #373 on: January 14, 2022, 04:07:52 AM »
I think the earlier comment made fits my impressions.
If you like medium tight to tight trucks, go with thunder or venture…
If you like loose to medium give these a shot…

My older and heavier self needs tighter trucks and stability.  These felt very stable on center and turned really well.  I had to put bones hard in them for my preferred tightness.
The pop and tip point threw me off.  I think I’m just too used to the longer wheelbase feel of venture and thunder.
I am going to keep them around and try them again when I’m being less stubborn about switching things up…..

I really like the inverted kingpin design and wish I could buy those parts separately.  The pressed in nut in the baseplate keeps the kingpin completely stable and no need for epoxy……

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #374 on: January 14, 2022, 02:26:27 PM »

Still riding them, stock, since release. Haven't once thought about changing them out...except for the hopefully forthcoming Royal Ultra Lights (hollows) just to shave off a bit of weight since I'm on 149s...I've been tempted to pick up some 8.25". RULIKP!

Prior to skating them, I'd swap trucks out every couple of weeks...if not less than that...I've got a box of different size Indy/Thunder/Tensor/ACE collecting dust now...I did try a few of them on different set ups during sessions with the Royals, and man some of them, which will not be named, felt like complete trash in comparison...and it's not the ones you think; They really are that good: Tight truck stability and feel but actually turn and don't weigh 5lbs a truck...or wheelbite like crazy.

Skating 149's on an 8.5"x31.875" twin with a 14.33"(ish)WB.

Also, I have not had any build/durability issues with them, that includes the IKP loosening over time.

They really nailed it, sadly because they're 'royals' people will gloss over them (I used to be that person).

I'd recommend if if you want something that has the best bits of the Big 3 without excelling at any 1 area.
Surfy turn of an Indy
Nimbleness of a Thunder

This right there + [the ability to get back quick to being] stable on center like a thunder/venture.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 11:22:05 AM by Xen »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #375 on: January 14, 2022, 03:03:25 PM »
It's winter so I'm only skating occasionally.   Hopefully the 8.75 hollows come out by March when it gets nice enough to do it regularly. 

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #376 on: January 14, 2022, 04:45:46 PM »
I picked up a pair of 139 standards because of this thread.
Set em up on an 8 inch deck with 14 inch WB

Had my first flat ground session on em today, extremely impressed.

They feel almost as stable as Ventures to me and the turn is excellent.  I run my trucks medium-tight but I actually felt comfortable keeping these looser than normal.

Pop feel/timing took me only a few minutes to get used to from Venture Lo which is a plus

Another big thing I noticed is despite being 29 degrees out the bushings felt essentially the same after 45 minutes as they did on minute 1.

baustin

« Reply #377 on: January 14, 2022, 10:10:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Still riding them, stock, since release. Haven't once thought about changing them out...except for the hopefully forthcoming Royal Ultra Lights (hollows) just to shave off a bit of weight since I'm on 149s...I've been tempted to pick up some 8.25". RULIKP!

Prior to skating them, I'd swap trucks out every couple of weeks...if not less than that...I've got a box of different size Indy/Thunder/Tensor/ACE collecting dust now...I did try a few of them on different set ups during sessions with the Royals, and man some of them, which will not be named, felt like complete trash in comparison...and it's not the ones you think; They really are that good: Tight truck stability and feel but actually turn and don't weight 5lbs a truck...or wheelbite like crazy.

Also, I have not had any build/durability issues with them, that includes the IKP loosening over time.

They really nailed it, sadly because they're 'royals' people will gloss over them (I used to be that person).

Expand Quote

Surfy turn of an Indy
Nimbleness of a Thunder
[close]

This right there + [the ability to get back quick to being] stable on center like a thunder/venture.

Fuck, you’re really selling them! I love a good comeback story too. How Crail has managed to keep Royal going this long I’ll never know, but I’m glad they’ve crawled out of the darkness this late in the game to give us what seems to be a really solid alternative truck to the big 3. 

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #378 on: January 14, 2022, 10:24:16 PM »
To add on, the grind on these is really nice, metal feels right between a Thunder and Venture.

Baseplate could protrude out a little more like a Venture, but not as recessed as a Thunder.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #379 on: January 15, 2022, 10:08:54 AM »
I've been using my 144 IKP Royals for 2 months coming from 2 years of thunders and 2 months of Ventures. So I swapped my ventures out for these on a 8.38 deck with 14.25 wb. The tipping point is weird in that my nose/switch manuals come insanely easy, but the regular/fakie tipping point is too different, so I will go back to the Ventures until the winter kills this deck and I can try the royals on a different wb with new wheels.

These are by far my favorite trucks. Everything I loved about thunder/ventures mostly mixed into one. I'll second the bushings being awesome at all temps, I've ridden them at 35º and 75º and noticed little difference. They've definitely gotten looser as they break in, but they're as stable as Ventures so I haven't felt the need to tighten them down. The best part is I don't get any creeks from the pivot cups/bushings. I'd stop skating thunder and venture just to avoid those fucking squeaks.

I will say I would not want these to be any lighter than they are, and the height is damn near perfect. The turning was pretty sweet, I bet I'll hate using the Ventures for the next few months lol

Beeker

« Reply #380 on: January 16, 2022, 09:55:43 AM »
I've been using my 144 IKP Royals for 2 months coming from 2 years of thunders and 2 months of Ventures. So I swapped my ventures out for these on a 8.38 deck with 14.25 wb. The tipping point is weird in that my nose/switch manuals come insanely easy, but the regular/fakie tipping point is too different, so I will go back to the Ventures until the winter kills this deck and I can try the royals on a different wb with new wheels.

These are by far my favorite trucks. Everything I loved about thunder/ventures mostly mixed into one. I'll second the bushings being awesome at all temps, I've ridden them at 35º and 75º and noticed little difference. They've definitely gotten looser as they break in, but they're as stable as Ventures so I haven't felt the need to tighten them down. The best part is I don't get any creeks from the pivot cups/bushings. I'd stop skating thunder and venture just to avoid those fucking squeaks.

I will say I would not want these to be any lighter than they are, and the height is damn near perfect. The turning was pretty sweet, I bet I'll hate using the Ventures for the next few months lol

Unfortunately mine just started to squeak recently. It's not something that bothers me when I'm skating, but I'll still probably grease them when I change decks next since it's probably good for the pivot cups in the long run.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #381 on: January 17, 2022, 06:47:40 AM »
I'm about to start riding my ikp 144, do you guys think they can handle (slim) 54mm wheels without using risers or tightening them? I really wanna get the bones V3 shape again

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #382 on: January 17, 2022, 09:31:06 AM »
I'm about to start riding my ikp 144, do you guys think they can handle (slim) 54mm wheels without using risers or tightening them? I really wanna get the bones V3 shape again

You'll be fine.

I'm riding mine stock with a 1/8 turn left (loosen) from factory tightness. Riding 54mm and there is some wheelbite but not horrible. No risers.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #383 on: January 17, 2022, 11:25:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Prior to skating them, I'd swap trucks out every couple of weeks...if not less than that...I've got a box of different size Indy/Thunder/Tensor/ACE collecting dust now...I did try a few of them on different set ups during sessions with the Royals, and man some of them, which will not be named, felt like complete trash in comparison...and it's not the ones you think; They really are that good: Tight truck stability and feel but actually turn and don't weight 5lbs a truck...or wheelbite like crazy.

Expand Quote

Surfy turn of an Indy
Nimbleness of a Thunder
[close]

[close]

Fuck, you’re really selling them! I love a good comeback story too. How Crail has managed to keep Royal going this long I’ll never know, but I’m glad they’ve crawled out of the darkness this late in the game to give us what seems to be a really solid alternative truck to the big 3. 

Like most trucks, they are not a one size fits all, but they are damn close.

If they didn't care about their effort, I doubt they would have hit up Ben Degros and offer some trucks up, they know he'll speak the truth.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 06:51:17 PM by Xen »

timv

« Reply #384 on: January 20, 2022, 09:15:37 AM »
After my posts of my first impressions and reading these other responses, I gave mine another shot.
I travel for work and always bring my board and try to skate when I can.
I put my 149 IKP Royals on with Bones Hard bushings.
I take back my first thoughts.
Giving it some time and letting myself warm up, they worked really well for me.
Very stable like venture/thunder but almost more so.
They turn extremely well.  I have the bones hard because I’m 6’ about 200lbs.
I have these looser than I was riding my ventures or thunders and they are working well.
I was able to Ollie up ledges as high as usual, I’ll have to adjust my footing but not bad.
I did notice how much easier the simple “tech” tricks I can do were.
Just felt like the board spun easier and quicker.  I was skating titanium thunders and these felt lighter….
The shortened wheelbase feels good to me with these trucks.
Being 45 easier is better.
Give them a chance if you’re thinking about it.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #385 on: January 20, 2022, 09:31:31 AM »
Got a set of 144s I’m going to try on this Chocolate tomorrow.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #386 on: January 31, 2022, 02:08:32 PM »

Great review, if not a bit short...and perhaps his last truck review?

Pretty much sums up what we've all been saying (those that have actually skated them). While 4 sessions isn't very deep, I'd trust him, even without liking the trucks already.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 02:24:26 PM by Xen »

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #387 on: January 31, 2022, 03:02:20 PM »
Four sessions on trucks is preview, not review

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #388 on: January 31, 2022, 03:38:42 PM »

Great review, if not a bit short...and perhaps his last truck review?

Pretty much sums up what we've all been saying (those that have actually skated them). While 4 sessions isn't very deep, I'd trust him, even without liking the trucks already.

Definite “I liked these more than I thought I would” vibes there. He almost sounded frustrated because I think he could feel himself going back into messing with different trucks (which he says he has sworn off). And either Ben reads Slap or else he independently arrived at the same conclusions as you guys.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #389 on: January 31, 2022, 10:07:09 PM »
Someone should sticky the first comment or change the description of this thread:
50% Thunder
35% Indy
15% Venture
And a 100% reason to remember the name (Royal)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m