Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69608 times)

IpathCats

Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #390 on: February 01, 2022, 05:44:52 AM »
Do people have issues with their wheels catching on nose/tail slides like thunders with these new royals? I skate 56mm classics, preferably no riser.

Beeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #391 on: February 01, 2022, 07:05:50 AM »
Do people have issues with their wheels catching on nose/tail slides like thunders with these new royals? I skate 56mm classics, preferably no riser.

No more so than any truck with decent wheel clearance. They have very similar clearance to Venture from my observations.

IpathCats

« Reply #392 on: February 01, 2022, 07:32:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No more so than any truck with decent wheel clearance. They have very similar clearance to Venture from my observations.

Thanks!

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #393 on: February 01, 2022, 07:57:41 AM »
139s just came in. I will give my own thoughts on these after I skate em for a couple weeks. I’ve traditionally been a usually Thunder, sometimes Venture fan. I’m trying to find a great 8” truck and find Thunder 147s too low and lacking kingpin and slide clearance and while Venture doesn’t have those issues I find The 5.2 hi a bit too high and hefty to pop with. Here’s to hoping these Royals are a silver bullet for all those issues!

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #394 on: February 01, 2022, 11:38:35 AM »
Want these so bad

Coming for venture low which I love

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #395 on: February 01, 2022, 12:44:28 PM »
Just nabbed a set of 144s as I sized down deck-wise; Was going to use my on hand Indy or Thunder 144/148 but decided to stick with royal. They just work the way I want them to do and didn’t want to deal with the other brands.

Royal, who would have thought?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 01:14:35 PM by Xen »

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #396 on: February 01, 2022, 12:52:44 PM »
Just ordered some 149 IKP after watching the Ben Degros vid. Currently on Ventures, I’ll make a post after skating them for a month or so.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #397 on: February 01, 2022, 01:09:36 PM »
Just ordered some 149 IKP after watching the Ben Degros vid. Currently on Ventures, I’ll make a post after skating them for a month or so.

Please do, I've read the entire thread today after seeing Ben's video, and I'm tempted. Although I have sworn to myself (or lied to myself?) that I wouldn't switch back from Indy's after having a bad case of axle slip on Ace classics, which I absolutely loved other than that. Thankfully it's winter right now in the great white north, so I barely go out skating other than parking garage sessions maybe twice a month, but I might just grab a pair of 149's once the snow melts a little.

From what I can tell from this thread, they are kind of a lower Indy but with Thunder pinch? That sound frickin perfect!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #398 on: February 01, 2022, 03:19:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Please do, I've read the entire thread today after seeing Ben's video, and I'm tempted. Although I have sworn to myself (or lied to myself?) that I wouldn't switch back from Indy's after having a bad case of axle slip on Ace classics, which I absolutely loved other than that. Thankfully it's winter right now in the great white north, so I barely go out skating other than parking garage sessions maybe twice a month, but I might just grab a pair of 149's once the snow melts a little.

From what I can tell from this thread, they are kind of a lower Indy but with Thunder pinch? That sound frickin perfect!

Pretty much, he's right about the bushing being soft. I ride mine factory tightness and they are getting a bit squirmy after 4 weeks of skating.

No complaints on the pinch, slide or turn, just a combination of the best bits of the big 3 and highly versatile on different deck dimensions. Rode them on 14.25 and 14.38 WB, felt great, would love to try them on 14. But at that stage, the call of Venture beckons.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #399 on: February 01, 2022, 03:41:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If I had to narrow it down, and it’s probably an unpopular comment, but like Ben mentioned, there’s really nothing to complain about…whereas with everything else on the market there is always one or two things they could improve on…weight, wheelbite, turning, stability, baseplate this, wheelbase that…

If anything, not having a hollow option available in the states is a huge misstep for sales.

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 98
« Reply #400 on: February 01, 2022, 04:21:57 PM »
I briefly skated the 144 IKP Royals.  They were very surfy but stable on center, and the pinch was good.  They skated similar to an Indy hollow mid, with the difference being the Royals felt too light. I generally like the feedback of a heftier pop/heavier truck.  If forced to choose between the Indy hollow mids and the Royals, I would go with Indy.  But, because I am a total mess, I am back on Ventures (for now...).   

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #401 on: February 01, 2022, 04:44:45 PM »
Royal definitely needs to sponsor non crailtap riders to market these to apprehensive consumers.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #402 on: February 01, 2022, 04:48:02 PM »
Does anyone know if the hollows are the same height and wheel base extension?

I just went back to thunders and I’m pretty happy but damn theses are calling my name. I just don’t know if I should just wait for the hollows to drop state side or pull the trigger now?

Also standards or ikp is there a preference?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #403 on: February 01, 2022, 05:57:51 PM »
Does anyone know if the hollows are the same height and wheel base extension?

I just went back to thunders and I’m pretty happy but damn theses are calling my name. I just don’t know if I should just wait for the hollows to drop state side or pull the trigger now?

Also standards or ikp is there a preference?

Pretty sure no regular joe outside of Japan has a pair of the ultralights to procure that info; really weird distro they've got going on.

Are you skating lites/hollow/ti thunders? The Royals are not heavy, on par with standard Thunders (cast/non-hollow). I'm skating 149s on an 8.5" and it doesn't feel heavy (like it would skating standard Indys or ACEs).

As for IKP, dealers choice really. I assume it's heavier due to the baseplate setup, but it can't be enough to make a difference. Non-IKP are cheaper per truck if that matters; I just snagged a pair of 144s and will put in my krux pin (hollow) to shave of a few grams (and adjust the bushing hole to accept the krux washer).

baustin

« Reply #404 on: February 01, 2022, 06:20:43 PM »
I went standard kingpin because the clearance seems to be good enough that it wasn’t a dealbreaker and I have a general mistrust of IKPs due to the possibility they can loosen up on their own (not that I’m accusing Royal’s IKP of being prone to that issue because I haven’t seen any evidence of that). I know I can trust a standard kingpin to function is all

Acky Jacky

« Reply #405 on: February 01, 2022, 06:57:27 PM »
I just ordered the standard kingpin 144’s. I’m super curious about these they sound dreamy. The downside is I couldn’t find an actual shop that had them in stock so I had to go straight through their website.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #406 on: February 01, 2022, 08:12:17 PM »
Tomorrow is the day when I will put some 144 IKPs on my old Chocolate and probably eat my words. I have Thunder 148 Team Hollows on there now which are fine, but a bit sketch feeling going fast. I have Indy Mid Hollows on my other setup which I really like too, so it will be a Battle Royal(e) (see what I did there?!??).

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #407 on: February 01, 2022, 09:44:00 PM »
Tomorrow is the day when I will put some 144 IKPs on my old Chocolate and probably eat my words. I have Thunder 148 Team Hollows on there now which are fine, but a bit sketch feeling going fast. I have Indy Mid Hollows on my other setup which I really like too, so it will be a Battle Royal(e) (see what I did there?!??).

ayyy! really eager to see how you feel about them, good and bad.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #408 on: February 02, 2022, 07:39:26 AM »

Feels like that episode of Spongebob where Squidward denies liking Krabby Pattys and ends up stuffing his face with them
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #409 on: February 02, 2022, 09:11:53 AM »
Do they make 149 regular kingpin lights for the US?

baustin

« Reply #410 on: February 02, 2022, 10:12:42 AM »
Do they make 149 regular kingpin lights for the US?

No, at least not yet. Only standard KP and IKP, no hollows or anything for us yet. I will say the standard truck is not very heavy at all though. The baseplate is cast but is hollowed out like you’d find in a forged baseplate, and the hangars are pretty trim. Honestly a hollow version would probably be too light for a lot of people but I can see how it comes in handy when you get up to 149+ sizes

Fs_smith_98

• Rep: 1
« Reply #411 on: February 04, 2022, 12:28:28 PM »
Hello guys, it's cool to see these trucks are getting some love, I think they deserve it. I'm writing because I wanted to see exactly how the bushings are and the conclusion is that they are almost identical to ACE bushings (i think they kinda copied them about the bushings but there isn't anything wrong with that). The bottom bushing is just like half millimeter shorter but you can barely notice it. Just so you know 🤙🏻

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #412 on: February 04, 2022, 01:05:51 PM »
So if I wanted put some harder bushings in what would I go with

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #413 on: February 04, 2022, 03:41:57 PM »
Hello guys, it's cool to see these trucks are getting some love, I think they deserve it. I'm writing because I wanted to see exactly how the bushings are and the conclusion is that they are almost identical to ACE bushings (i think they kinda copied them about the bushings but there isn't anything wrong with that). The bottom bushing is just like half millimeter shorter but you can barely notice it. Just so you know 🤙🏻

The royal tops are not as tall as ACE tops, that's for certain. No idea if the royals are dual duro tho.

So if I wanted put some harder bushings in what would I go with

Indy after markets or DLX supercushiecushes given they have more options. Krux might be a good choice?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #414 on: February 05, 2022, 09:35:19 AM »
After riding them for some time now, I think I can finally summarize them in the following way:
They are not the best at anything, but good in more things than any other truck.
They don't turn like an ace or mini logo, but the turn is very good. (Like Indy)
They aren't super light but light enough, feels great. I don't think I want them any lighter.
The pinch is great (with 54mm wheels) but not like thunder/venture. Basically no wheelbite.

Kingpin clearance might actually be the best of all trucks, I don't know that.

I think the best comparison I can make is: They feel like a lighter indy mid. (I've measured the wheelbase multiple times over the last week and it was always between +3.00 and +3.05.)

The bushings are absolutely amazing, they don't freeze at all.

So if anybody is considering buying indy hollow mids or even titanium mids, just get royals instead. Way more kingpin clearance!

I'm very happy with them and will keep them on, currently on 14.3 wheelbase. Probably even better with a longer wheelbase.

baustin

« Reply #415 on: February 06, 2022, 04:23:33 PM »
Had a good first session on mine today. No trick presented any particular challenge related to skating a new truck (coming off some regular Venture 5.2 hi to these). They turn really well straight out the gate, the bushings and pivot cups are supple and responsive as you could want especially in a brand new truck. Basically just agreeing with the general sentiment so far, they are solid feeling trucks that don't cater to any extreme taste and would probably just work for most people. I'm pretty happy with that, since what forces me to switch trucks is usually those one or two big "gripes" you can come up with for any of the big truck brands to blame your issues on.

maggot cunt

« Reply #416 on: February 07, 2022, 08:42:39 AM »
is there a single non crail rider on the team these days? i remember thinking it was sick that jerry skated for royal, although i doubt he actually skated them much in reality

need new trucks and am tempted by the reviews here but its hard to shake the image that they’re just a crail truck for girl/choco riders

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #417 on: February 07, 2022, 09:16:53 AM »

Same manu as Ace…

Acky Jacky

« Reply #418 on: February 07, 2022, 08:19:21 PM »
Just set em up on my current board which I’ve had ventures on for a month plus. If it’s dry enough in the morning I plan on testing em before work. First thing I noticed standing on top of them inside is yes they seem like they have a good turn but the bushing sound/feel a little creaky, almost like there’s some sort of weird resistance happening. They probably just need to be broken in but I can’t recall this happening with any other trucks/bushings I’ve had recently.

We’ll see

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #419 on: February 07, 2022, 08:51:57 PM »
Just set em up on my current board which I’ve had ventures on for a month plus. If it’s dry enough in the morning I plan on testing em before work. First thing I noticed standing on top of them inside is yes they seem like they have a good turn but the bushing sound/feel a little creaky, almost like there’s some sort of weird resistance happening. They probably just need to be broken in but I can’t recall this happening with any other trucks/bushings I’ve had recently.

We’ll see

For me it's the pivot cup every time and the Royals do creak more in the cold, or after a certain amount of time in normal weather. This happens with literally every truck I've ever skated though, might have to use some grease if it annoys you. Trust me the pivots and bushings are top quality.