Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69484 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #450 on: February 13, 2022, 12:09:16 PM »
I tried them a little bit but I missed my ventures right away, especially since I can already turn fine. After a couple quick sessions, I’m unconvinced these would solve anything for me, probably just a personal preference.

Once the NY weather is a little nicer and I don’t have to make every session count for maximum fun, I might give these another go.

What are you missing? I guess the pop feel and manual point are off?

Acky Jacky

« Reply #451 on: February 13, 2022, 02:37:46 PM »
Expand Quote
I tried them a little bit but I missed my ventures right away, especially since I can already turn fine. After a couple quick sessions, I’m unconvinced these would solve anything for me, probably just a personal preference.

Once the NY weather is a little nicer and I don’t have to make every session count for maximum fun, I might give these another go.
[close]

What are you missing? I guess the pop feel and manual point are off?

Yeah, I don’t think about things in a scientific or rational way with boards. I felt like I had to put my feet in a sillier position to pop my board. And yeah I felt like i wasn’t going to be able to manual as well. Also the weight was throwing me off, since they’re so light compared to venture i felt like I was just throwing my board around rather than manipulating it with my own strength. Plus the metal just looked goofy to me on the Royals.

To clarify, I will give them another chance, I just didn’t have the “aha” moment I was hoping for when I tried these out, but I haven’t given them a fair chance. Nothing wrong with them!

P.s. I have an inkling it has to do with my preference for mellow decks, been skating Alltimers a lot for this reason.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #452 on: February 13, 2022, 04:42:22 PM »
No truck gives an aha moment first ride, especially one you've never skated before...except maybe ACE, if you are skating bowls.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 04:58:52 PM by Xen »

Acky Jacky

« Reply #453 on: February 13, 2022, 08:02:55 PM »
No truck gives an aha moment first ride, especially one you've never skated before...except maybe ACE, if you are skating bowls.

Switching from indy to venture felt like an “aha” moment of to me in terms of certain aspects of my skating. I still like Indys for certain things though. Royals don’t fill any of the gaps for me at the moment. It’s a matter of opinion not fact, no hate to any truck companies or anyone else’s feelings.

fur lined sea

• Rep: 234
« Reply #454 on: February 13, 2022, 11:47:32 PM »
I love these god damn things.

This comment pretty much sums them up for me, too (except I only got major wheelbite once in the first session when they were still pretty loose):

I had my first session on the 149 IKP today. For ref I'm riding a Krooked 8.38 with 14.25 WB.
Straight off the bat they didn't take long at all to get used to. Like others have said a great carve feeling with stability on centre. Best way I could describe them is that they are a great all rounder. As much as I enjoyed Venture, the heft to pop and very stable feeling kind of took away from casual/spontaneous skating. With the Royals it felt like a more 'breezy' skate, I was having a lot more fun in transition and I felt like 360 flips came easier. I definitely got more wheelbite than on Venture but didn't really cause an issue. For me personally they feel like the right fit coming from Thunder and Venture previously. Truly does seem like the best of both worlds. I'm going to stay on them, I had a really fun skate on them.
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #455 on: February 14, 2022, 12:30:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Switching from indy to venture felt like an “aha” moment of to me in terms of certain aspects of my skating. I still like Indys for certain things though. Royals don’t fill any of the gaps for me at the moment. It’s a matter of opinion not fact, no hate to any truck companies or anyone else’s feelings.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #456 on: February 14, 2022, 06:13:50 AM »
Just came home from a 2 hour ledge session.
First time riding the 149 inverted ones which I have ordered about 6 weeks ago.
I got more and more hyped with this thread getting longer and as kingpin hangups increased I decided to setup a new complete yesterday.
Studio board with 14.25 wheelbase, 52mm spitfire classics. I rode thunder hollow lights before. So 72g weight difference overall.

The turning is definitely nice. Quick, snappy response but still a surfy feel. I tightened them a little, still loose. They wheelbite the same as my thunders.
Had a short adjusting period. At first I really felt the weight difference but most of my ledge tricks worked right away. With some taking a little longer.
The extended baseplate definitely helped with nose- and tailslides.

I only skated a little flat. Kickflips felt really nice, better than usual. Extra weight helped I believe. Good pop.
Only did a couple of manuals but the ones I did felt really stable. No problems here.
Overall I am pretty happy so far. Still need some adjustment time and definitely more time on flat.
Will keep posting more when I had more time with them.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #457 on: February 22, 2022, 02:05:11 AM »
Anyone in the US got a good deal going on these? I think I'm ready to take the plunge and get a set and neither of my local shops carry them.

cant kickflip but can tre

• Rep: 9
« Reply #458 on: February 22, 2022, 10:05:58 AM »
Anyone in the US got a good deal going on these? I think I'm ready to take the plunge and get a set and neither of my local shops carry them.
35th Ave got regular kingpin 139 and 149 for $40 and CCS has more sizes of the inverted kingpin for $45

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #459 on: February 22, 2022, 10:16:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
35th Ave got regular kingpin 139 and 149 for $40 and CCS has more sizes of the inverted kingpin for $45

Thanks for this. 35th is hot

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
« Reply #460 on: February 22, 2022, 10:41:59 AM »
I marked my kingpins and did a lot of smiths today. The kingpins turned a bit at first, but only so far to minimize the resistance on smiths(flat part of the kingpin in the front instead of a corner). Then they stayed that way. I seriously love these trucks and have zero reasons inside my head to change them. The cure to my madness really has been found after years of looking for alternatives for thunder titaniums.

Big shoutout to all the guys that tested them early on and made me want to try.

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #461 on: February 22, 2022, 01:46:38 PM »
Had about 5 sessions now and have to say that I'm liking them more than my thunders.
Love the pop, the turning, the extended baseplate, the weight. Everything works.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #462 on: February 22, 2022, 07:00:44 PM »
Had about 5 sessions now and have to say that I'm liking them more than my thunders.
Love the pop, the turning, the extended baseplate, the weight. Everything works.

All pros, no cons.

I recently setup a bunch of trucks on other boards, thunders, indy, tensor, all stock/broken in. Royal still felt best (and they were factory fresh, not even skated yet), with indy ti second; tensor atg mags still crush them all when it comes to grinding concrete tho, no question.

Thunder had wheelbite as usual, love/hate with that truck. Can't ride tight and I draw the line at risers.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 07:59:08 PM by Xen »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #463 on: February 22, 2022, 07:43:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All pros, no cons.

Only con is not excelling in 1 particular area - but I'll take that any day of the week.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #464 on: February 22, 2022, 08:23:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All pros, no cons.

I recently setup a bunch of trucks on other boards, thunders, indy, tensor, all stock/broken in. Royal still felt best (and they were factory fresh, not even skated yet), with indy ti second; tensor atg mags still crush them all when it comes to grinding concrete tho, no question.

Thunder had wheelbiting as usual, love/that with that trucks. Can't ride tight and I draw the line at risers.

You and I used to disagree but I’m back on my Indy Forged Ti and liking them more than mids. I haven’t gotten to spend ample time on the Royals I’ve had to decide one way or another about them but will when this deck is near its end.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #465 on: February 23, 2022, 06:28:43 AM »
Skated my 144s last night. I have to say I like them better than my Indys for sure. I got my f/s flips back! 360 flips felt great. Switch flips where easier. I felt very confident on the mini. Played a few games of skate and had some crazy roll aways that I normally would/should have ate shit on. Very surprised given its a lower truck with 54mm wheels. Our box sucks so I didn't get any grinds in other than a 5050. All the while in new shoes.  Long story short I gave my board away at the end of the night and when I got home I ordered another pair.  As long as my f/s flip stays... this is my new truck. Thanks Ben for the review! Would have never done it without your video! haha.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #466 on: February 23, 2022, 10:04:10 AM »
Checking in after my real first session on my new 144 standards.
I was on Indy Forged Hollow/TI for the last 2 years.
Had a little affair with Ventures v-lights for the last two weeks. And in between i tried some Thunder 148 Team Hollows.
First thing I noticed, they are pretty loose compared to the stock ventures but almost the same as the Indy's stock. Maybe a bit more on the loose side.
So i cranked them down till one threat is showing.
I'm 76 Kg.
After that they still feel loose compared to Indy's.
But surprisingly stable.
I set them up with 53mm Tablets .
They do wheelbite yeah. Not so much like my thunders but  definitely more than my Indy's or ventures.
It's all manageable.
Set them up on a  Killing Floor 8.25 14,25 Wheelbase.
Pop feels very familiar. More than a thunder than an indy.
Turn is very smooth. Like a really good broken in indy.
But at the same time they feel stable. Not so much like the ventures. Hard to describe.
It's like all the big brands had a gangbang or something.
The baseblate makes nice contact with the ledge for nose/tail slides. Grind wise i only did a few 50s and 5-0s on metal. They are new but i can say they grind harder than Indys. More like a Venture.
All my flips came easy. Only my 360 Flips needed a bit adjustment because of the looser feel. But again, all manageable and even better than my last indy setup, which was basically the same board.
Seems like this 1,5 mm lower height compared to indy forged benefits my old legs.
After that first session I'm really surprised. A great truck.
My only concern is riding them on any bigger transision.
The angle of the kingpin is pretty high compared to any other truck i own. So I'm a bit scared of hangups.
Will see how this goes.
So far so good. Really dig them.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #467 on: February 23, 2022, 04:06:46 PM »
So I have about 15 hours or so on these new Royals at this point.

I gotta say my first impression is still consistent with what I think now.  Just really damn good trucks. Stable as hell but still turn very nicely. Bushings are excellent especially in the cold.

I think Venture Lo 5.2 on a 8 inch deck 14wb is still my go to set up.

But for anything wider or bigger wheelbase these will be my choice and will probably be my go to winter set of trucks on any board.

Once wear out Venture hi 5.6s on my park set up I will get another set of Royals to replace them for sure.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #468 on: February 23, 2022, 04:36:57 PM »

Current board got fucked by rain so I figured I'd pull the trigger and get the trucks too when I saw there was a sale on here in Aus. Very excited to see how they ride.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #469 on: February 23, 2022, 05:36:46 PM »

Current board got fucked by rain so I figured I'd pull the trigger and get the trucks too when I saw there was a sale on here in Aus. Very excited to see how they ride.

Loved the Folklore Fibertech Light deck I rode a few years ago, it's the great white buffalo of the decks I've skated.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #470 on: February 24, 2022, 12:06:59 PM »

fur lined sea

• Rep: 234
« Reply #471 on: February 25, 2022, 09:28:53 PM »

I had the opposite experience. I have another setup (bigger board and wider wheels but same truck size) with Venture 5.6s. I jumped on it for an afternoon after a week or two hiatus. It felt like a huge boat that I couldn't steer or maneuver like I could with the Royals. I ended up ordering another set of Royal 144s to replace them. They're too fun, and do everything a Venture can do and more (turn sharper and pop just as quick if not quicker).

Definitely want to pair them with a Girl board soon. So far I've skated the 144s on an 8 Scumco, 8.06 Krooked, 8.25 Krooked and 8.125 Alien. I had skated 5.6 Ventures on the 8.06 Krooked (wb 14.38) which was alright, but preferred it so much more with the Royals. It didn't feel as long and the nose/tail felt easier to work with.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 09:37:50 PM by larry leadfoot »
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #472 on: February 28, 2022, 02:18:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had the opposite experience. I have another setup (bigger board and wider wheels but same truck size) with Venture 5.6s. I jumped on it for an afternoon after a week or two hiatus. It felt like a huge boat that I couldn't steer or maneuver like I could with the Royals. I ended up ordering another set of Royal 144s to replace them. They're too fun, and do everything a Venture can do and more (turn sharper and pop just as quick if not quicker).

Jumping back to Thunders, and I will catch shit for this, the thunders felt...meh....now, I have always been in the ACE/INDY/THEEVE/ML camp over the Venture/Thunder camp, but really like thunders when I'm 'street' skating....for bowls and slappies, not so much. So, 2 out of 3 situations don't work for me...plus the non-stop wheelbite everywhere because I don't ride tight trucks...I roll away from so much more shit not riding thunders (loose trucks + sloppy skating).

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #473 on: February 28, 2022, 02:37:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Jumping back to Thunders, and I will catch shit for this, the thunders felt...meh....now, I have always been in the ACE/INDY/THEEVE/ML camp over the Venture/Thunder camp, but really like thunders when I'm 'street' skating....for bowls and slappies, not so much. So, 2 out of 3 situations don't work for me...plus the non-stop wheelbite everywhere because I don't ride tight trucks...I roll away from so much more shit not riding thunders (loose trucks + sloppy skating).

Thunders, for me, are great for flatground, as long as my shit is really proper. And it isn’t.
I mainly stop riding thunders when I want to size up wheels (I live in the crustiest zone, it’s so harsh).
Anyone try the royals with big ass wheels? Like 56?

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #474 on: February 28, 2022, 02:41:39 PM »
Anyone have a kingpin break on the new trucks so far? I had multiple pairs of royals 10+ years ago and all of them eventually had a kingpin break. So far the feedback seems overwhelmingly positive so they likely figured it out but they're still pretty new.

Finished the first set- no problems.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #475 on: February 28, 2022, 04:24:19 PM »
I just decided I like Venture Hi's with blue eagles more than any other setup I've ever tried, I am elated at everything about it to the point that I am excited just thinking about when I will be able to skate it next. But every time I click on this thread I literally open a tab and start googling where to buy new Royals.  This forum is a swamp of perversion and I cannot escape. 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #476 on: February 28, 2022, 05:30:25 PM »
I just decided I like Venture Hi's with blue eagles more than any other setup I've ever tried, I am elated at everything about it to the point that I am excited just thinking about when I will be able to skate it next. But every time I click on this thread I literally open a tab and start googling where to buy new Royals.  This forum is a swamp of perversion and I cannot escape.

Yes, yes.

But what size ventures, and what size wheels, and cue that daffy duck gif
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 05:51:41 PM by Ok »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #477 on: February 28, 2022, 05:40:10 PM »

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #478 on: March 01, 2022, 01:31:09 PM »
The bushings in these things are weird. Not in a bad way.
They seem to be totally immune to the cold. My ventures on the other hand where hard as bricks around 2° celsius.
I think my Royals are broken in now. Needed around 3 sessions. Ended up with nearly two thread's showing on the nut. 53 mm spits and wheelbite seems fine.
Curious, is anyone riding them with 55mm wheels ?
Got some oskis in the mail.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #479 on: March 01, 2022, 01:35:56 PM »
I'm running 54mm on my inverted 144 no problems.