Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69629 times)

Beeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #510 on: March 11, 2022, 01:08:12 PM »
Just got mine. Initial thoughts. Good but too loose. Anyone got any recommendations for harder bushings that work?

Working 6 day weeks. Tomorrow is my only chance to hit up skate shop so if anyone knows I'd be forever grateful

If you haven’t actually had a real session on them just wait. My initial thoughts were super loose as well, now I consider them medium with the kingpin nut flush. The bushings are to good to swap, but if you must then the new Ace hard bushings bottom, with the Royal stock top.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #511 on: March 11, 2022, 01:14:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Just got mine. Initial thoughts. Good but too loose. Anyone got any recommendations for harder bushings that work?

Working 6 day weeks. Tomorrow is my only chance to hit up skate shop so if anyone knows I'd be forever grateful
[close]

If you haven’t actually had a real session on them just wait. My initial thoughts were super loose as well, now I consider them medium with the kingpin nut flush. The bushings are to good to swap, but if you must then the new Ace hard bushings bottom, with the Royal stock top.

If the bottom bushing is the same height as Ace, might be worth trying Minilogo. Minilogo bottoms are 14mm (same as Ace) and the tops are just about 10mm. Decent bushings for sure.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #512 on: March 11, 2022, 05:43:28 PM »

DLX Bait & Tackle Supercush
Indy Aftermarkt

None of which are as good (IMO) as the ACE or Royal bushings, but they are what they are.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 12:29:52 AM by Xen »

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #513 on: March 11, 2022, 11:33:02 PM »
Thanks everyone. Will have a proper session today and feel them out. Can't wait.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #514 on: March 12, 2022, 12:30:48 AM »
Forgot to add krux bushings!

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #515 on: March 12, 2022, 12:37:26 AM »
Is there any easy way to differentiate new design/geo vs old when buying online? Assuming you are looking at the standard kingpin models.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #516 on: March 12, 2022, 02:36:34 AM »
Is there any easy way to differentiate new design/geo vs old when buying online? Assuming you are looking at the standard kingpin models.
Look at the baseplates. The new ones are Royal and on the old ones is written Royal truck co.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #517 on: March 12, 2022, 08:06:42 AM »
Cheers, that's nice and simple!

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #518 on: March 12, 2022, 08:34:16 AM »
Also, the old sizing is 5.0, 5.2 etc... And the new ones are same as the Indy sizing (139, 149...)

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #519 on: March 12, 2022, 11:50:02 AM »

royals at 43:17.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 12:21:49 PM by sebbo »

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #520 on: March 13, 2022, 10:42:18 AM »
So was skating my 139s on my real full SE 8 14wb. They were pretty dam good.

Then just to see. Put them on a polar 7.875 14.25wb..... DAM

These are fucking 🔥 they just work. And the pop is explosive.

Also the grind feels dreamy

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #521 on: March 13, 2022, 12:05:38 PM »

How are the royals "Mid" after praising the shit out of them in his review. He even said he liked them more than his indies. Heresy

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #522 on: March 13, 2022, 04:33:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How are the royals "Mid" after praising the shit out of them in his review. He even said he liked them more than his indies. Heresy

Yeah pretty weird, especially when they were leaning towards solid...but GH lead Ben by hovering over Mid...

They can totally hang with the big 4, no question. So far, any time I ride my other setups to refresh my memory, those last for a few tricks and then I'm right back on the board with royals. They're the Thindy I've always wanted.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #523 on: March 13, 2022, 06:36:22 PM »
Sticking them on my next deck with a 14.38 WB. I'm interested to see how the softer, more worn in bushing feels for popping out of tricks

Ben made a good point about the Royal baseplates, the tinier baseplate doesn't have as nice a slide as a Venture.

Anyone looking to try the new Ultralights when they become widely available? I like the current weight as is but I'm a sucker for new tech shit. Saving the madness for either Royal Ultralights or Ace AF1 Low, maybe Ace classic to get a feel for Ace trucks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

cant kickflip but can tre

• Rep: 9
« Reply #524 on: March 13, 2022, 07:02:41 PM »
Sticking them on my next deck with a 14.38 WB. I'm interested to see how the softer, more worn in bushing feels for popping out of tricks

Ben made a good point about the Royal baseplates, the tinier baseplate doesn't have as nice a slide as a Venture.

Anyone looking to try the new Ultralights when they become widely available? I like the current weight as is but I'm a sucker for new tech shit. Saving the madness for either Royal Ultralights or Ace AF1 Low, maybe Ace classic to get a feel for Ace trucks.
Depends on what you want from the trucks. If you want a sharper, surfy feel, go for the Ace lows. Assuming they have the same turn as normal Aces. In my experience, the Royals aren’t as sharp or quick as Indy which is what I was riding before

LebowskisRug

« Reply #525 on: March 13, 2022, 08:57:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think you are misinterpreting what he said. He said after putting them on his 14.25 he likes the setup better than his current setup at the time of filming. Not better than Indy's themselves. Given that he really likes Indy and Thunder and they're a mash-up of the two I could see him preferring the more polarizing options. He didn't like the grind and didn't like them on a longer WB so maybe that contributed? He seems pretty picky in that regard.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #526 on: March 13, 2022, 11:55:53 PM »
I mean it's hard to put something that you skated four times against something you've skated over 20 years.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #527 on: March 15, 2022, 11:28:58 PM »
I agree with everything people are saying about these being LOOSE out the box. I tried pushing on my floor and leaning to see what the turn was like and I just sorta leaned into a wheelbite lol. I'm gonna have to tighten them up a bit so they don't just lean and actually turn. Will report back after I get a few actual seshes with them

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #528 on: March 16, 2022, 08:11:28 AM »
Anyone know a girl / chocolate deck that pairs well with 139s?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #529 on: March 16, 2022, 08:18:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Depends on what you want from the trucks. If you want a sharper, surfy feel, go for the Ace lows. Assuming they have the same turn as normal Aces. In my experience, the Royals aren’t as sharp or quick as Indy which is what I was riding before

I find them much quicker than Indy, and more stable!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 11:08:15 PM by Xen »

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #530 on: March 17, 2022, 06:43:23 AM »
I agree with everything people are saying about these being LOOSE out the box. I tried pushing on my floor and leaning to see what the turn was like and I just sorta leaned into a wheelbite lol. I'm gonna have to tighten them up a bit so they don't just lean and actually turn. Will report back after I get a few actual seshes with them

Maybe I just weigh more than the average skater here (doubtful) 170lbs but all trucks are LOOSE out the box. Indy's are the worst. I can touch the wheel to the deck using my hand. The only trucks that ever felt firm brand new was some thunders with black bushings.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #531 on: March 17, 2022, 08:02:21 AM »
They need a good while to break in .
If you ride flush nuts, it will take forever.
I had the same experience when they were new.
After 3 sessions they started to firm up and I went from 53 to 54 mm wheels. Not that much wheelbite. Now after 2 weeks and tightening them to 2 threads showing they feel on point.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #532 on: March 23, 2022, 04:25:13 PM »
Has anyone skated the ROYAL ULTRA LIGHT RAW?

If so, does anyone know the weights too - 144 mainly
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #533 on: March 26, 2022, 08:50:13 AM »
Has anyone skated the ROYAL ULTRA LIGHT RAW?

If so, does anyone know the weights too - 144 mainly

Sadly no one from AUS/JP here on slap has nabbed a pair and you can't get them state-side (fricken bizzare)...and I'm not paying $100 with shipping to try some out.

Safe to assume, they're lighter than the royal standards ;), expect the ultra royal to way around 10g less perhaps?

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #534 on: March 26, 2022, 11:16:58 AM »
Don't really see what insight is needed for the lights... They're gonna be Royal's and they're gonna be lighter. 330-340g would be my guess. Is there a magic number or something?

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #535 on: March 26, 2022, 06:47:53 PM »
Don't really see what insight is needed for the lights... They're gonna be Royal's and they're gonna be lighter. 330-340g would be my guess. Is there a magic number or something?

No magic number, but if they are heavier than my Venture V Hollows or Indy Hollow Lights I wouldn't both tbh.
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #536 on: March 26, 2022, 10:03:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No magic number, but if they are heavier than my Venture V Hollows or Indy Hollow Lights I wouldn't both tbh.

IKP royals are ~10g heavier than Indy ti, surely they’re lighter than your Indy hollows. Anything is lighter than Indy except ace.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #537 on: March 27, 2022, 12:25:01 AM »

From Royal Japan's Insta:

Ultralights save you around 30g per truck, bringing them between a Thunder Light and Hollow Light.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #538 on: March 27, 2022, 07:15:03 AM »
Just made the switch from Thunder 147 Hollow lights to these out of plain curiosity. Havn't had a session yet but did a few pushes through the house lol and the feeling of the bushings through the board feels odd. When I lean I can feel the squeeze and creak of the bushings through my wholw board, is anyone getting that?

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #539 on: March 27, 2022, 08:56:45 AM »
Just made the switch from Thunder 147 Hollow lights to these out of plain curiosity. Havn't had a session yet but did a few pushes through the house lol and the feeling of the bushings through the board feels odd. When I lean I can feel the squeeze and creak of the bushings through my wholw board, is anyone getting that?

Like a few people said before. They need a while to really break in and stay constistent.
Mine took about 3 weeks with 2-3 Sessions each week. Had to tighten them a few times.
Now they are perfect. But they are still squeaky. Haven't had trucks which didn't do any sounds.
Wax in the pivot cups always helps. I think Chris Cole mentioned using graphite power in a nine club episode but haven't tried that.