Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69533 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #570 on: April 06, 2022, 10:11:24 AM »
Ultra lights are available at the crailstore.

https://crailstore.com/collections/everything/#filter:type=trucks

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcA_kxiLesj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Looks like they're out now: https://crailstore.com/products/w43-d1-royal-the-royal-ultra-light-truck
$60 for a set, not horrible, but for a 7% reduction in weight, I'd rather save $20 and get the regular ones. Not like they're super heavy to begin with.

Yeah, doesn't make sense dollar/value-wise. Like most direct skate brands, they're a bit pricey. I'd wait until they're on SW or some other online shop where they'd be $20-23$ per truck...unless of course they are never picked up by those shops.

I'm a weightwhore and I can't justify a double dip for 7% weight reduction. That said, it does puts them in Indy TI territory, pretty impressive for a non-forged (RC) cast truck!

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #571 on: April 06, 2022, 12:25:01 PM »
Am I crazy or is it easier to get stuck on a smith grind with the inverted ones?
There's definitely more clearance, but somehow I get stuck wayyyy worse than with the regulars.(after grinding the nut down a bit)

Edit: I think it's what Ben Degros described in his indy mid review. With a regular kingpin you grind on the nut when it hits, which is cheap soft metal. But if hard kingpin metal hits, you can't get away with it and get stuck super bad.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 01:10:45 PM by goodatmeth »

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #572 on: April 07, 2022, 09:38:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Ultra lights are available at the crailstore.

https://crailstore.com/collections/everything/#filter:type=trucks
[close]

Expand Quote
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcA_kxiLesj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Looks like they're out now: https://crailstore.com/products/w43-d1-royal-the-royal-ultra-light-truck
$60 for a set, not horrible, but for a 7% reduction in weight, I'd rather save $20 and get the regular ones. Not like they're super heavy to begin with.
[close]

Yeah, doesn't make sense dollar/value-wise. Like most direct skate brands, they're a bit pricey. I'd wait until they're on SW or some other online shop where they'd be $20-23$ per truck...unless of course they are never picked up by those shops.

I'm a weightwhore and I can't justify a double dip for 7% weight reduction. That said, it does puts them in Indy TI territory, pretty impressive for a non-forged (RC) cast truck!

You called it. On Tactics now for $48 for the set. Now that's kind of tempting.

https://www.tactics.com/royal/the-royal-forged-ultra-lights-skateboard-trucks/raw-149

Fs_smith_98

• Rep: 1
« Reply #573 on: April 07, 2022, 09:52:47 AM »
Am I crazy or is it easier to get stuck on a smith grind with the inverted ones?
There's definitely more clearance, but somehow I get stuck wayyyy worse than with the regulars.(after grinding the nut down a bit)

Edit: I think it's what Ben Degros described in his indy mid review. With a regular kingpin you grind on the nut when it hits, which is cheap soft metal. But if hard kingpin metal hits, you can't get away with it and get stuck super bad.

Yeah it definetely happens because the metal is harder and can't be grinded down, it just gets stuck. On the wooden ledge at my local i basically can't bs smithgrind anymore, since it digs in the wood.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #574 on: April 07, 2022, 02:17:10 PM »
Yeah I switched back to the regular baseplate now, glad I bought them as a backup.
So in case anyone is wondering, the ikp version is not worth it in my opinion. I can dip smiths further down on the regulars without getting stuck. The regular ones have more kingpin clearance than you'll ever need. (After grinding it down a bit with your hands and a crusty ledge, poser grinds).

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #575 on: April 07, 2022, 08:22:08 PM »
Yeah I switched back to the regular baseplate now, glad I bought them as a backup.
So in case anyone is wondering, the ikp version is not worth it in my opinion. I can dip smiths further down on the regulars without getting stuck. The regular ones have more kingpin clearance than you'll ever need. (After grinding it down a bit with your hands and a crusty ledge, poser grinds).

+1

Once I start sticking I'll move on. Doesn't look like IKP are here to stay, no one has nailed a method where they don't loosen over time or come up with an actual low profile solution...oh wait, Krux did with the OG DL KP...you never heard of anyone getting loose ove rtime (I didn't anyway and never experienced it my self).

For the record, when I last mounted my 144 Royals, I had two threads showing, that was a few weeks ago. Last night I moved them over to a new deck and still had the same amount of threads showing and I haven't fucked with them, just lots of flat and slappies.

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #576 on: April 08, 2022, 05:43:51 AM »
Okay, now the madness kicked in for me as well about the kingpin loosening.
Contacted the shop, I ordered them from and asked if I can get a normal baseplate.
If that is not happening I might just go back to regular thunders. 

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #577 on: April 08, 2022, 06:32:43 AM »
Contacted the shop, I ordered them from and asked if I can get a normal baseplate.

Just use any kind of glue and you're good. No need to change trucks if that's your only problem

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #578 on: April 08, 2022, 12:16:03 PM »

I wouldn’t pre-worry about it. I don’t think a lot of people are having this issue as Royal uses a built in nut, mine haven’t budged. As mentioned there are various easy fixes (I would try plumbers tape personally since it creates no mess).

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #579 on: April 08, 2022, 06:02:47 PM »
I only had one session on mine so far, I'm loving my film 5.25 hollow pins too much, but my ikp's moved a bit as well.
I can't tell how much, they're just not how I set them up. I'm not too worried about it, we'll see when I get to them.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #580 on: April 10, 2022, 09:41:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wouldn’t pre-worry about it. I don’t think a lot of people are having this issue as Royal uses a built in nut, mine haven’t budged. As mentioned there are various easy fixes (I would try plumbers tape personally since it creates no mess).

It's a really easy fix with some super glue as people mentioned earlier. Also idk if this is why but I'm a taller dude and thus leaning into the truck more when I turn which might be why mine get loose after a sesh while others don't have the issue?

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #581 on: April 11, 2022, 03:12:04 AM »
Loving the change from Thunders at the moment.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #582 on: April 11, 2022, 07:57:24 AM »
I’ve got a set of 144 IKP I don’t need, used lightly. A friend gave them to me so I would feel bad selling but if you DM me for them and pay shipping you can have em.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #583 on: April 11, 2022, 08:23:39 AM »
I’ve got a set of 144 IKP I don’t need, used lightly. A friend gave them to me so I would feel bad selling but if you DM me for them and pay shipping you can have em.

DM'ed. I'm nearly through my Indy 144s, so this would be perfect.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #584 on: April 11, 2022, 09:55:29 AM »
hit ya back

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #585 on: April 12, 2022, 04:27:20 AM »
That is really awesome of you to pass them on for shipping!
Can I ask what you didn’t like about them? 
So similar to Indy mids that you don’t need both?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #586 on: April 12, 2022, 10:29:15 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Might be he's sitting on two pair, he said way back he had some on the way, and these are from his friend?

He's a Indy guy (nothing wrong with that).

As for your Indy Mid question, from a height pov, yeah they're the same but indy are indy. I've ridden the mids and the forged mids (50.5mm) and royals, they feel very different; the royals feel more like a carvey venture/thunder.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #587 on: April 12, 2022, 06:36:37 PM »
PSA: Bone Mediums make these trucks feel like shit. YMMV.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #588 on: April 14, 2022, 05:34:24 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Might be he's sitting on two pair, he said way back he had some on the way, and these are from his friend?

He's a Indy guy (nothing wrong with that).

As for your Indy Mid question, from a height pov, yeah they're the same but indy are indy. I've ridden the mids and the forged mids (50.5mm) and royals, they feel very different; the royals feel more like a carvey venture/thunder.

Yah I have Indy's, Thunders, and had these. I like em all, all solid trucks. At the end of the day I like Indy the best and Thunder second. I think the Royals were good, but I didn't need the 2 brand characteristics mixed if that makes sense. From a geometry perspective the pop feel felt a bit too light for me so I went with what felt the best. Maybe in the future I would try em again.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #589 on: May 10, 2022, 08:25:13 AM »
Anyone copped a set of ultra lights yet?

Couldn't get the snapped kingpin out of my thunders so thought i'd give them a go...quite cheap here in the UK compared to the other big truck brands.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #590 on: May 10, 2022, 11:43:46 AM »

Couldn't get the snapped kingpin out of my thunders so thought i'd give them a go...quite cheap here in the UK compared to the other big truck brands.

I did. I sized down to a 8.1 and grabbed some 139s. Nothing negative or positive to say about them compared to the regular ones. I'm enjoying them as I nurse my ankle back to health.

thebaggy

• Rep: -14
« Reply #591 on: May 10, 2022, 10:09:41 PM »
  Sup guys it's your favorite skateboarding conservative here. Been considering royals for years, been glorifying them since childhood because of Jerry. Always too low for my taste however over the past couple years I've adjusted to thunders. With that said I've been reading this thread for a couple days and I found a pair of 149s at a vans mall store, serendipitously so.
  Been skating them all day, and I must say it's been a great joy. Same height as thunders. Similar wheelbase, albeit slightly shorter resulting in a nice pop feel. Upon turning, very responsive Ala thunder, yet with more pocket. A very happy medium between thunder and ace. On some 56s necked down to 53s I dealt with very little wheel bite. The bushings are very soft, resulting in a creamy turn. That's right. Creamy. Truck still retains an element of responsiveness and springyness upon pop out in spite of this ( perhaps due to geometry ). Baseplate sticks outwards Ala venture, yet the nuts to hanger relationship is comparable to indy. Wheels are a couple cm away from ledge contact during slides ( if locked against baseplate on a smooth ledge ). Very light. Grind is somewhat comparable to venture, I do believe the metal is somewhat "tin-y" however they grind very well and considering the shape of the hangar is quite similar to thunder I'd place my comparison there. I believe that's everything I felt like sharing about my purely anecdotal experience in this subjective reality we all suffer in.
  Oh yeah I cracked two noses today on the Royals, strange coincidence perhaps.

I tried to attach a photo of my 2 setups. 8.3 football ( 14 wb ) w/ Royal 149s, spitfire 51mm and 8.75 polar ( 14.3 wb ) w/ thunder 151 risered, 56mm radial fulls.

Rotate your wheels regularly.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #592 on: May 10, 2022, 10:13:39 PM »
Creamy is a great description of how they feel, I back it.

thebaggy

« Reply #593 on: May 10, 2022, 10:43:08 PM »
Creamy is a great description of how they feel, I back it.

Right? I appreciate your acknowledgment, Xen.

It sounds kind of absurd, however if you were to consider sticking a warm spoon into a jar of peanut butter to stir it...there would be some resistance sure but it would be smooth, and that feedback would allow you to determine that the textures creamy.

Also the trucks are incredibly stable. Forgot to corroborate that.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #594 on: May 10, 2022, 11:00:05 PM »

I bought a set but more for the novelty of owning a pair. Maybe I'll stick them on a board with really steep kicks or to compensate for the weight when I go from 8.25 to 8.38. Bushings aside, Royal really ticked a lot of boxes with these trucks and I'll continue to recommend to anyone planning to make a drastic swap in truck brands (eg Indy to Venture) as a stepping stone truck.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #595 on: May 11, 2022, 10:19:30 AM »
I've been fucking with these trucks on and off since @LebowskisRug hooked me up with the 144s. The turn, the pop, the flick are all incredible. They really managed to make a truck that carves like an Ace, but has the stability of a truck like Thunder. It's a great truck, at least as good as anything from the other big makers.

On curbs though, I find the grind is completely lackluster. Maybe they're just too new and I really need to put time breaking them in, but I've never struggled in the same way with Indy and Ace. I'm not giving up on them, hopefully I'll get through that rounded top layer and it'll unlock something rad underneath.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

thebaggy

« Reply #596 on: May 11, 2022, 10:39:56 AM »
I've been fucking with these trucks on and off since @LebowskisRug hooked me up with the 144s. The turn, the pop, the flick are all incredible. They really managed to make a truck that carves like an Ace, but has the stability of a truck like Thunder. It's a great truck, at least as good as anything from the other big makers.

On curbs though, I find the grind is completely lackluster. Maybe they're just too new and I really need to put time breaking them in, but I've never struggled in the same way with Indy and Ace. I'm not giving up on them, hopefully I'll get through that rounded top layer and it'll unlock something rad underneath.

I've only had my set for a day but I did skate some slappy curbs and had a similar experience. Non painted, but lacquered and waxed. Felt oddly sticky. Didn't get as much distance as I did on my 8.75 w/ thunders set up. This could also be due to the fact that the latter setup has radial fulls which work magic for locking into 50s. I will say that I did not have the same experience on red curbs, where the royals grinded quite well.

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #597 on: May 11, 2022, 10:45:39 AM »
Best trucks in the game.

I've never noticed sticking on curbs tbh. Maybe that's at the start it happens more.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #598 on: May 11, 2022, 11:03:32 AM »
Royals, like Venture, or even AF1s (just not as much) need a little breaking in to get moving, once you get that first 'layer' off they're great.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #599 on: May 29, 2022, 07:55:56 AM »
Scooped some ultra light 8.75's from SoCal for $42 shipped (with some 52mm F4 classics to get free shipping).

I love my Indy forged hollows in 8.5 and 9.125" but I really want to set up something lighter. May be awhile before I get around to building with them though. Any recommendations on decks to pair them with?