Author Topic: When did you stop going out to drink every weekend?  (Read 2037 times)

somefucker

When did you stop going out to drink every weekend?
« on: November 18, 2021, 10:55:14 AM »
After my 27th birthday I didn't want to piss my money away on the drink anymore. Didn't quit drinking entirely but just had to stop getting myself sucked into the the 'go out every weekend' lifestyle to feel like my weekend went well.

I've been skating more and feel more focused at work, picking up old hobbies again, and currently trying to eat better too. Not lookin' for an atta-boy, just curious when others felt this way.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
Re: When did you stop going out to drink every weekend?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 11:12:49 AM »
I partied hard as fuck from age 14-19 and then pretty much quit everything after that freshman year in college, including drinking. I had already done enough damage to myself by that point.

I drink now but very rarely, never go out to bars or anything. Psychedelics are what I enjoy occasionally for personal growth.

versacekid420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 11:15:22 AM »
haven’t yet

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 11:18:05 AM »
I'm a weekday after work drinker (unless I can go skate but that's not every day) and don't go out much, especially not heavily, on the weekends. I hate crowds, people, etc... so I get my drinking in quietly during the week then skate, do house shit, play video games, and chill on the weekends. I guess I'm officially washed.

Sarcasm

• Rep: -9
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 11:25:15 AM »
I been sober for 10+ years (not a joke) I'm still trying to get all the shit out of my system from when I went to college.

D10S

• Rep: -64
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 11:27:38 AM »
First off, weekends are for amateurs.

The real hardcore parties happen on random-ass weekdays. A Tuesday can all of a sudden evolve into a rager, and if some hot girl pulls out some MDMA, pfffff, it's a done deal.

Then I had a kid and that changed the frequency, but I would still manage to go out a few times a month.

But then when the pandemic hit, it just forced me to stay at home. This forced me to quit smoking cigs, then I would rarely have a cup of wine.

Now I couldn't be bothered with the party lifestyle. It fucked up my skating, it fucked up my budget, it fucked up a few friendships.

cynical cow

• Rep: 27
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 11:30:06 AM »
I’ve only went drinking/to bars for like a year or so of my life. Only been blackout drunk maybe twice. That shit is for the birds. I like to have an occasional drink if I’m out for dinner or something but that’s about it. But yeah, it’s too expensive and I hate most people and don’t want to be around any.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 11:42:45 AM »
Last week. why is this in UWTB
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 11:43:01 AM »
September 2019. However, I did not go out to drink, I drank at home mostly.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

somefucker

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 11:45:29 AM »
I been sober for 10+ years (not a joke) I'm still trying to get all the shit out of my system from when I went to college.

what after effects do you still experience from this?

I still feel like my lungs are permanently damaged from ~10 yrs smoking.

somefucker

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 11:46:35 AM »
Last week. why is this in UWTB

It's related to skating. Idk if a mod wants to chuck this thread in whatevs be my guest, this board is more active.

I have definitely become a better skater and SO since cutting down

strongererections

• Rep: -14
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 11:48:25 AM »
aint out the pool yet still learnin how to swim n i have to use floaties it gets deep in the deep end

deep-end DEPEND. see look i did a duane peters

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 11:56:13 AM »
Skating at 8/9am on Saturday/Sunday rules. So never unless I need to.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2021, 11:56:37 AM »
after my trip to Japan and experiencing their amazing night life when I got back to CA everything sucked in comparison

artskool

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2021, 12:01:20 PM »
Weekends are for amateurs. We used to be out every night during the week. Stopped when I quit my job to stay home and take care of my kid.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2021, 12:02:40 PM »
Got pretty sick (not sure why yet) at the beginning of 2019 from too much work related stress and drinking.

If I drank a single beer, the next day I would puke like crazy.

Stopped drinking then, and it turned out to be the best decision for me, I can be there at social events, instead of being totally fucked up, and I have a complete different outlook on life.
Also, not going out as much on Saturdays, makes Sunday mornings great as there's almost no one about.

My friends are still weirded out but they are cool about it.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2021, 12:06:32 PM »
Spent two decades dealing with the hangovers, anxiety, and shitty food choices that the after party brings. Can’t tell you how many times me and my friends would stay up late getting smashed and talking about how much fun we were going to have the next day skating. Then the next day was shit.
Haven’t had a drink in 3 years. Skated a ton in the past 3 years.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2021, 12:11:36 PM »

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -69
  • eight equals d
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2021, 12:13:18 PM »
never started, always enjoyed smoking over drinking. but there was a point where i wanted to stop smoking and i did for a while, and funny enough it was also on my 27th birthday
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1447
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2021, 12:13:45 PM »
Saw other people pile out and took it as a cautionary tale. I've never been drunk, one or two at most, and very rarely, like once or twice a year.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2021, 12:16:11 PM »
I’m in my early 30’s and I completely slowed down on drinking about a year and a half ago after about a decade plus of making that a big focus of my free time with my friends.  After college once I started working full time it became this cycle of working all week, looking forward to chilling and drinking on the weekends, repeat over and over. 

Getting back into skating over a similar time period has honestly been such a healthier and more productive focus of my energy and free time.  Now instead of sitting at working thinking about relaxing and hitting the bar with coworkers/friends I’m sitting there thinking of clips I want to get and tricks I want to work on. 

I’ll still drink occasionally at events where I know it will be more unavoidable for me (weddings, vacations, etc.) but cutting that out of my weekly routine has been a good experience for my mental and physical health for sure.   

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2021, 12:41:56 PM »
I quit on January 2020. I was 26 at the time and had been dealing with severe anxiety for more than 10 years.
I had severe hypochondria that after about 10 years turned into social anxiety and full on paranoia.
I never blamed it on the drinking. I saw drinking as a kind of coping mechanism and I would go through a 6 pack everyday, getting completely pissed every weekend.

In 2020 the social anxiety and paranoia got so bad that I had to change my life entirely. So I quit drinking, havent had a drink or a cigarette in almost 2 years and never felt better both mentally or physiqally. Eventhough I miss the parties, I would never want this anxiety back, that wasn't caused by the drinking but the drinking prevented me from getting good sleep or think about things with a clear mind.

I am still anxious, but I am nowhere near paranoia.
I always saw it like this:

F - alse
E - vidence
A -ppearing
R - eal

When I was drinking just little things would trigger my anxiety. Nowadays with a clear mind such things wont trigger it because I can think about those things or symptoms or whatever in a clear state of mind.

Also the skating is just better, I am not getting as sore as I used to. The sessions just feel alot better and I get less angry when I cant make my tricks.

I am not a health advocate in any sense and I will never talk bad about all the good parties that I had, but currently I want to enjoy skating and other things in life and fortunately there is non alcoholic beer.
I am not saying that I am an addict or that I will never drink again, I am just saying that at the moment I dont want to drink
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 12:52:24 PM by Prostate Exam »

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1384
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2021, 12:42:05 PM »
I got lucky in that i never developed an addiction both with smokes and booze. I'll drink a couple beers every now and then. Maybe like a sixer a month if that, and I'll drink a good amount if I'm out partying with friends but that doesn't happen very often. I do smoke weed every day though

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1434
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2021, 01:08:27 PM »
around 30ish. i basically stopped going out altogether, except for concerts or close friends birthdays. i only go out for coffee and food, never to drink. i still work as a barkeeper tho. i haven't stopped drinking altogether, but sometimes i go for weeks without one, then get a bit smashed at work on one weekend, maybe once every two months? i can't even drink up anymore. i'll have two shots and half a cocktail and i'm good for the night. i pretty much just drink with guests at work. i have booze at home, but i only use it when i have people around that want a drink.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2021, 01:11:16 PM »
I’d say 30/31 living in Floriduh and seeing the same goobers and kooks settling for mediocrity.

I use to enjoy shows but I’m a grumpy old cunt I get tired around 8:30pm I can be fine late at night at home but I’m not wasting my time at shitty shows.

Algar

• Rep: 28
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2021, 02:27:53 PM »
Probabaly late 20’s I stopped pileing out every weekend, but I kinda changed it up to drinking at home every night.  Fast forward to now and haven’t drank for over two months.  Anxiety is way better, early weekend mornings are great weather I’m ambitious and skate or going for a bike ride or just sleeping in.

Yeah, so I don’t miss that whole lifestyle, it was a lot of fun sometimes, wish I would have done it a little less though and glad I outgrew it

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • the moon rules
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2021, 02:48:50 PM »
26-27. Going out all the time began to feel like a chore and I was pretty bummed out on a lot of things. A lot of my friends started to either move back home or somewhere different. I moved into a 1 bedroom apartment for the first time. I also had started making headway into my career as well. That left weekends to either skate or party and feel like shit. I haven’t done an illegal drug in years and I cut back substantially on my alcohol consumption; the last time I had a drink was on the 4th of July. I skate every free chance I get and I’m on a pretty good trajectory in my work life. In hindsight I should’ve come to my senses a lot earlier than I did
fuck you bama

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2021, 03:04:39 PM »
until like 28 i was drinking at bars and smoking a pack every day during college with a friend and alone. been in many fights. 1 with flying chairs and shit like the movies lmao. over it. im already not good socially and it turn me into a real meanie

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2021, 03:30:36 PM »
I’m 25 and stopped drinking on September 10th 2021. Microdosed some mushrooms while out riding dirtbikes with my friends and couldn’t finish a beer all day. Haven’t had a drink since then, and I was a heavy drinker up until that day. The mushrooms flipped a switch or something. Not saying that’ll work for everyone though, definitely not a cure all.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2021, 03:58:55 PM »
I partied hard from 18 to about 25, then from 25 to about 29 I'd get loaded once a week/2 weeks. Didn't go out to bars much, it was usually at someone's house. Shit is too expensive and I don't like crowds and bar vibes. I also smoked a fuck ton of weed and ate a lot of mushrooms during this time as well. My favourite kinds of nights often included about a gram of mushrooms, tequila or gin and lots of bong hits.

When I turned 30 the hangovers started getting absolutely brutal, so I kinda stopped and kept it for special occasions. Right now, I haven't been drunk since late August, a friend's birthday party. I'll still have a few beers here and there, but crazy drunken nights are pretty much over and I'm cool with it. I barely drank during quarantine because I didn't like the idea of drinking alone at home.

Not gonna lie, the whole ride was a lot of fun and it never really interfered with my work or anything, but after a while I was happy it was winding down. Friends started having kids, got more important jobs etc... it kinda happened on its own and it wasn't a priority anymore.

I still smoke weed, just a lot less. I still enjoy a good mushroom trip once or twice a year but tripping frequently is over.