Author Topic: Thoughts on NHS  (Read 10151 times)

lampshade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Thoughts on NHS
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2021, 12:26:14 PM »
Expand Quote
hey may have gone too far with Spongebob / Simpson's licensing deals but were the first to go hard mainstream with collabs in the 2010s, paving the way for Primitive to do anime collabs. They are also fortunate that skaters who grew up riding their brand in the 80s/90s now have much more disposable income to blow $400 on a reissue. Lean heavy into their heritage with the Screaming Hand / Classic dot for some consistent deck sales.
[close]

More than deck sales, for the general public, the Screaming Hand/Dot logo is probably the second most popular skate hoodie after Thrasher. Maybe more popular, honestly, because I think a lot of people don't see it as being explicitly skate related. Everyone from or passing through the town of Santa Cruz buys one.

I would put the Powell Ripper up there as well.  Funny story- When I went away to college my little sister raided my room.  We had a solid all ages punk/hippie club.  She found a hoodie in my dresser with a small rat bones logo on it.  She told me the door guy said, "Your older brother skates."  She just said, "Yeah."  Powell was fully retro at that point.

And NHS is famously litigious, so there aren't a lot of knockoff screaming hand hoodies floating around.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2021, 12:27:13 PM »
NHS pays Winkowski. I like that.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

sizzle_chest

• Rep: -13
  • Kookin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2021, 12:28:46 PM »
I was in the Creature Fiend Club when I was 13. Pretty sure that's a lifetime membership I can't get out of.
Quote from: EdLawndale on October 13, 2021, 12:03:45 PM
You just became my favorite Slap poster

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2021, 12:45:30 PM »
I like Indys and

David Gravette is a great NHS persona

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KINbq4qiff4

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2021, 01:59:25 PM »
I like Indys and

David Gravette is a great NHS persona

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KINbq4qiff4

Not a fan of Indy's but Gravette is class. I actually have been thinking about this alot lately, how many pro skaters bmx now and then and vice versa.

Lisa96

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2021, 02:12:05 PM »
driven by west coast skate culture, i would rock a Santa Cruz nylon jacket, love that provost is now on Creature

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2021, 03:41:59 PM »
do all you people like the graphics that creature puts out or is it just the team?

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2021, 03:45:17 PM »
I'm just not a fan of their brands.  Like people have said here, it seems like it could be for young ass kids or old ass bowl trolls.  At least Indy changed their logo.  And I do like Milton, Jhancarlos Gonzalez, Maurio McCoy, and Fabiana.  But in the grand scheme of things, there are other brands I like better.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2021, 03:50:19 PM »
Products for kids that only 50 year old Nazis buy to throw at scooter kids

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2021, 06:00:20 PM »
Last creature I had was solid regular plys, no couloured, I have to have then or a board feel heavy and dull. I assume sc is the same

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2021, 06:03:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
. (are even Thunder and Venture raws still at Ermico / SF / USA?)
[close]

Yes they are
[close]

Can you prove that?
[close]
Trust me, you can trust @mattdlx.
Can also personally verify that hangers  & cast plates are poured at Ermico in SF, at least as of a couple weeks ago.
Pointech side of the building was humming too.
I’m glad we could straighten that out.
Your PAL,
-Louis Struxworth III
[close]

Are they titanium hangers made in America or are those trucks assembled "of foreign and domestic components"?
[close]
Excellent question, to which I say “I have no idea.”
I don’t know enough about the process to be able to tell what metal is which in the fab process.  I’m not swift with the metallurgy, and I don’t know that I could tell a Ti axle from a steel one at any distance, either.
In other words, I don’t know what I was seeing, beyond clearly being able to see trucks in various stages of fabrication.
For THAT specific data point that you asked about @manysnakes, perhaps we can turn to the aforementioned PAL, @mattdlx, for the answer.
As I said in the exchange quoted above, you can believe the brother on the matter.
[close]

For sure, I am not doubting it. I just remember that it was the titanium hangers which originally took Independent to China, so I assume it's something that's beyond the capacity of Ermico to produce. I've worked in heavy manufacturing, so really I am just curious about the details.
[close]
the hangar is not titanium, the axel is. im assuming all hangars get poured at ermico around what ever axel they want. can @mattdlx explain why the trucks dont say "made in USA". if its such a big selling point for the two brands why doesnt it say where they are made? I heard that Pointech was moved to Mexico and some of the classics formula wheels say made in Mexico on them. I think Ermico just makes the F4s. Ermico should be boastful that they are manufacturing skate stuff in USA, not many other skate brands can make that claim.

Yes, Thunder/Venture Titaniums are a US-poured hanger around a Chinese Titanium axle. I believe the forged baseplates are also imports.

Pointech not completely moved to Mexico, but demand has exceeded the 17th st capacity, so many/most Spits are being poured south of the border.

As to not saying “made in USA”: my understanding is that roughly 15-20 years back, some legislation went through where you couldn’t say “Made in USA” unless it was 100% US components. Washers/axle nuts/misc parts made it so they would have to say “Made in USA from domestic and imported components” which is a lot to stamp on a baseplate.
SPB!

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2021, 06:48:06 PM »
Quality has never been a issue, Direction has.

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2021, 06:48:23 PM »
Indy is NHS. Period. It's the centerpoint of it's entire history. During its golden years it was the biggest force of energy that entered the world of skateboarding. But like everything else, what goes up must come down. Paying immigrants shit wages and probably no insurance benefits to pour and assemble trucks, to "refining" their geometry into dog shit with stage 9, then stage 10 barely making a step forward. Stage 11 has been so long overdue for a revision. They have the money to revisit superior geometries of the past, invert the kingpin stock on hi's, explore stuff like rheocasting, etc. and actually keep innovating but they aren't.

Take away the logo, take their entire production for every product they offer and move it overseas. What integrity and craftsmanship do you have left at that point? None. NHS is dead and has been for a long time. I've been on Ace's for years but recently went back to Indy since they can do what Grind King did with IKP's and not be Grind King. Are they great performing trucks? Yep. But looking down at them, there is no energy or "spirit" for lack of a better term. Just a ghost of what once was.

Maurice46

• Rep: 9
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2021, 07:16:37 PM »
I love the VX decks and typically buy 2 at a time because they sell out. They are all I've skated for nearly 2 years. Although the last couple of batches I've purchased since the summer have not been as good compared to the previous ones. Not sure if they changed the process or something. I'm still down for them though.

irunknee

• Rep: -3
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2021, 10:39:58 PM »

take their entire production for every product they offer and move it overseas. What integrity and craftsmanship do you have left at that point? None. NHS is dead and has been for a long time. I've been on Ace's for years

My dude, what? Ace has been outsourced their entire life. They were a rehash of stage 4's too. Everything you're saying applies to Ace even more.

Although I agree with you about NHS.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2021, 10:48:08 PM »
Indy
Oj elites
Creature
MOB
VX decks / obscure dims / stumps or boats
Bronson ceramics
You can count on deck dimensions board after board unlike some companies….boards are just the right range of stiff and poppy

They still support dressen.

Strong overseas programs for riders compared to a lot of bigger companies.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 10:57:09 PM by Xen »

Ghost Face

• Rep: 95
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2021, 11:14:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes they are
[close]

Can you prove that?
[close]
Can also personally verify that hangers  & cast plates are poured at Ermico in SF, at least as of a couple weeks ago.
Your PAL,
-Louis Struxworth III
[close]

Are they titanium hangers made in America or are those trucks assembled "of foreign and domestic components"?
[close]
I don’t know enough about the process to be able to tell what metal is which in the fab process.  I’m not swift with the metallurgy, and I don’t know that I could tell a Ti axle from a steel one at any distance, either.
In other words, I don’t know what I was seeing, beyond clearly being able to see trucks in various stages of fabrication.
For THAT specific data point that you asked about @manysnakes, perhaps we can turn to the aforementioned PAL, @mattdlx, for the answer.
As I said in the exchange quoted above, you can believe the brother on the matter.
[close]

For sure, I am not doubting it. I just remember that it was the titanium hangers which originally took Independent to China, so I assume it's something that's beyond the capacity of Ermico to produce. I've worked in heavy manufacturing, so really I am just curious about the details.
[close]
the hangar is not titanium, the axel is. im assuming all hangars get poured at ermico around what ever axel they want. can @mattdlx explain why the trucks dont say "made in USA". if its such a big selling point for the two brands why doesnt it say where they are made? I heard that Pointech was moved to Mexico and some of the classics formula wheels say made in Mexico on them. I think Ermico just makes the F4s. Ermico should be boastful that they are manufacturing skate stuff in USA, not many other skate brands can make that claim.

This baffles me too. Nowhere on the trucks or even the website says anything. Why not be loud and proud of the USA production. Is it that only a certain amount of the range (plain Raws?) are made in the USA and that highlights that the rest aren't? What's the deal?
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Ghost Face

« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2021, 11:16:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes they are
[close]

Can you prove that?
[close]
Your PAL,
-Louis Struxworth III
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yes, Thunder/Venture Titaniums are a US-poured hanger around a Chinese Titanium axle. I believe the forged baseplates are also imports.

Pointech not completely moved to Mexico, but demand has exceeded the 17th st capacity, so many/most Spits are being poured south of the border.

As to not saying “made in USA”: my understanding is that roughly 15-20 years back, some legislation went through where you couldn’t say “Made in USA” unless it was 100% US components. Washers/axle nuts/misc parts made it so they would have to say “Made in USA from domestic and imported components” which is a lot to stamp on a baseplate.

Thanks for this answer. I'd gnar if I could.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2021, 11:23:12 PM »
Indys are good, they are still good. Anyone who says otherwise is crazy

Till the end

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2021, 02:45:39 AM »
Its all good to me. I don’t own any skate shit made by them though…I just noticed this. I also noted I was the only dude over 40 the other morning at the park NOT wearing or skating something made by NHS. One dad showed up and his two little groms were rolling…yup…SC dot completes. I’d try some Indies though…sizing up to 8.5 soon and mostly skate curbs, so it will be a consideration.
Oh wait…I have Mob on my board. There ya go.

Ghost Face

« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2021, 03:02:20 AM »
In their stable of brands and components they have pretty much everything covered which is great.

Deck sizes, wb, construction (price point, maple, VX inlay, Everslick), shaped = check. Wheel sizes, shapes and duros, cored, cruizer = check. Truck sizes, heights, raws, colours, prices, Ti, hollow, forged, lower kingpin etc = check. I think they have like 9 different bearings covering price to tech.

Sure the collabs might be kooky but they obviously sell. I don't like all the Krux colours etc but they get riders paid and obviously sell too.

Put together a Creature with Indy's, OJ Elite and Indy GP-B, black MOB etc and I'm pretty sure 80% of people would be happy.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2021, 05:21:26 AM »
Indy.Yes
Mob. Yes
Creature... dope team, cool history, fk ton of graphics, weird ass feeling decks.

Everything else... gross.

The history NHS has is amazing tho.

conqueso

« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2021, 05:40:57 AM »
nah

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2021, 06:00:35 AM »
Being on the East Coast, I never see anyone with Santa Cruz or Creature boards.

But I was always a fan of Creature, their videos are always pretty sick. I was definitely a fan of Taylor Bingaman when he was on. Dude ripped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAHPUayWjAc

IrritableBowel2

• Rep: 20
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2021, 07:43:17 AM »
Most of the time I find their kicks are too steep for me.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2021, 07:46:16 AM »
I guess it’s more of a west coast thing.  People keep talking about little kids and old dudes with NHS brand stuff.  I almost never see Santa Cruz or Creature stuff in the wild here in Pennsylvania. 

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2151
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2021, 08:12:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes they are
[close]

Can you prove that?
[close]
Your PAL,
-Louis Struxworth III
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I got you, fam.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2021, 08:24:10 AM »
SC/SMA had some of the best videos back in the day.  The one where JJ was in jail and people kept coming to visit him was cool. 

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2021, 08:48:19 AM »
no thoughts head empty

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2021, 10:09:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes they are
[close]

Can you prove that?
[close]
Your PAL,
-Louis Struxworth III
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
I got you, fam.

2nd'd and thanks to all of you above for all the questions and then the info on trucks, wheels, etc too, which was very interesting.

My understanding was (as has already been stated above) once certain parts that went into the trucks were not made locally, you cannot have USA on the product, so it was easier to just remove it anyway, so if or when production is moved elsewhere, it is one less thing that has to be changed, along with labels or manufacturing tags.

I think I am often too curious about a lot of the skate industry stuff, but less likely to ask the big questions and just hopefully find the information or as per here, read the answers from people who do know what is going on.

Much appreciated, all of you.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.