Author Topic: How many different boards do you actively skate?  (Read 4132 times)

flintstagram

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
Re: How many different boards do you actively skate?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2021, 01:41:02 PM »
I think I have five different boards set up currently, consisting of boards that were my main for a little bit and various truck and wheel combos to experiment with or to have a cruiser, but I just skate my main setup, and basically never fuck with the others. It’s stupid. I’m stupid.

I’m very stuck in my ways as far as my setup, so the quiver of boards is totally pointless. Oh well though. My main is my main for a reason.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2021, 01:53:58 PM »
3 Currently.

Street/Park setup-
8.5 5boro
Ace 44 classics
Spit tablets 52mm 99a

Big slappie/curb setup
9" Creature Stumps
Ace 55 classics
Spit Conical full 54mm 97a
Lil Jawns rails

Regular Slappie/curb setup
8.5 Thumbs NYC
Indy 149s
Spit Classics 54mm 97a
Lil Jawns Rails.

Have another setup and cruiser but they've been collecting dust lately
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 02:02:36 PM by Gene_Harrogate »

Get hungry on it!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2021, 02:01:10 PM »
Crazy as it is (to me) I have but one board setup....

8.5" DW Foy Twin, 149 Royal IKP, STF V5s, swiss 6

I do have an 8.25" polar with Thunder 148s on it, but no wheels. I am trying to keep the OCD/madness to a minimum.

Not even a cruiser or my egg...because I don't have more than one pair or Royals on hand and I'm sold on them.

Goblinoid

• Rep: 24
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2021, 02:31:07 PM »
I skate 4 actively:

1. Trick board
8.125 popsicle, 144s, 99A 52 F4s

2. Small egg
8.25, 144s, 99A 52 F4s

3. Big egg
8.75, 149s, 99A 53 F4s

4. Rain board
8.125 90s shape, 139s, big soft 56s

I have a cruiser too but I haven't used it much since I got a car almost 2 years ago.
I just love having many sets of trucks and trying new shapes. I usually have all my boards in my car and skate whatever feels comfier depending on the spot and my mood.

Concerning that rain board...I've only exposed one set up to a rain sesh, but it was truly soaked, killed all the bearings but also seemed to mess with my bushings and pivot cups (Ace classic 44s). Have you noticed rain affecting your trucks besides cosmetic damage? The trucks feel super tight, creaky and weird, worried I ruined them.

FrontsideFrank

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2021, 04:37:25 PM »
I've got my madness calmed down to 2 setups at the moment. 1 all purpose setup and 1 fun/fuck around setup. For awhile I was constantly running 3 (all with different trucks/specs),  but came to the realization that one was always my least favorite and would only occasionally skate it out of guilt for being gluttonous.

Current main setup: grimple 9" gerwer, film 8.75"s,  F4 conicals 52/101. Swiss 6s

Current fuck around setup: heroin 9.75" symetrical egg, indy ti 169s, F4 tablets 53/99, Swiss 6s
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 05:08:41 PM by FrontsideFrank »

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2021, 05:34:50 PM »
Actually “active” - 3 currently
Beach Bum / 161 Thunder / pink 54/99 F4 classics

Barbee Street shape / 6.1 Venture / pink 54/99 radials

303 x SPB Fish/Hawk / hella rare Ermico-made pink 169s / 59/84a Dogtown cruisers

Last one is obviously the cruiser
Other two: depends on the spot and which turn I’m feeling that day.
SPB!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2021, 05:43:34 PM »
Was always a multi setups guy at worst would of had over a dozen easy (not including a period where I had a literal pile of krooked zig zagger and zip zinger setups) right now I really just pick from two not even depending on what I'm skating just what I feel like riding that day.
1. Enjoi 7.75 with Indy low 129s and spitfires probably worn down to about 51s.
2. Zero 9ish? 1990ish shape square tail Indy 159 spitfires worn down to about 54s
And also a  krooked zig zagger with arachnophobia level spiderwebs over it from lack of use. I'm old and anywhere I can cruise to I should probably just get the exercise and walk there.

Been considering just getting something between an 8-8.4 for all occasions but a setup will be like $400 in Aus right now and I already have enough gear to probably last the rest of my life

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2021, 05:58:07 PM »
Was always a multi setups guy at worst would of had over a dozen easy (not including a period where I had a literal pile of krooked zig zagger and zip zinger setups) right now I really just pick from two not even depending on what I'm skating just what I feel like riding that day.
2. Zero 9ish? 1990ish shape square tail Indy 159 spitfires worn down to about 54s
And also a  krooked zig zagger with arachnophobia level spiderwebs over it from lack of use. I'm old and anywhere I can cruise to I should probably just get the exercise and walk there.

Been considering just getting something between an 8-8.4 for all occasions but a setup will be like $400 in Aus right now and I already have enough gear to probably last the rest of my life

Whts the smallest trucks you’ve used on a zagger?
Setup a zinger the other day, with t-109s, and 56 cf’s…wasnt as much fun as I was hoping

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2021, 06:37:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Setup a zinger the other day, with t-109s, and 56 cf’s…wasnt as much fun as I was hoping

On the 8.6 zig zagger I usually go 149 thunders but I've done 149 indys and 5.8 theeves as well. They used to come as setups with 147s but I prefered 149s.
The zip zingers are also a bit too small for me. Just for fun I've put the thunder 143s on 8.6+ boards and it's kind of interesting but I wouldn't recommend it for high speed stuff. There's a 7.5 zinger that's really long that could be interesting but I'd want to see it in person first.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2021, 07:26:05 PM »
Dane 1 on 55 F4 Classics and Ace 55s
8.5 14.1 917 on 53 Conical Fulls and Indy 149s
I've been skating these mostly - park, curbs and ledge spots

8.25 blank my buddy screen printed on 55 Canal conicals and 139s
It's fun, don't ever get further than my local courtside ledge spot with it
8.4 Baker on Keyframes and Venture 5.8s
Got over the wheels on a different setup, and wasnt skating the trucks. Went filming on it last weekend it went ok

In the closet I have a Quasi 8.5 on Thunder 151s and shrunken Conical Fulls and a spikey shape 8 inch Toy Machine on 149s and big cruiser wheels. Bought the second setup off a guy I met at my train stop
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2021, 07:32:43 PM »
I have so much skate stuff lying around and usually have a few future decks on ice lined up but I’ve found that I need to focus on one setup at a time or I drive myself crazy. For me, if I go bigger deck (8.5” and up) and also try to set up a smaller deck to mess around on for tech stuff I end up just gravitating towards the bigger deck setup cause it’s so much more versatile.  It’s still fun to skate ledges and manual pads on a bigger setup but skating crusty DIY spots on an 8.0” with Venture lows and small wheels is kind of a bummer. 

Right now I’m fully committed to skating a Dane 1 with 169s as my everyday board.  I bought a set of Lurpivs and I’m tempted to throw them on another deck to try them.  Maybe this will be my first time successfully running two setups at once (probably not though haha).

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2021, 12:23:07 AM »
I've got 5 active set-ups, but I typically only ride (these) 2 most of the time. Presently they are: 8.5 Theories UFO shape, Thunder 149s, F4 54mm & an 8.75 Polar P8 shape, Ace Classic 55s, F4 56mm.
The following are also in occasional rotation: 8.5 popsicle, Ermico stage 11 159s, F4 55mm, also an 8.5 cruiser, Indy stage 9 154s(?), Bones SPF 56mm, and finally a 10" 80s fish shape, Indy stage 7 169s(?), circa 2002 Spitfire Charred Remains (black rubber tires) 58mm.
That's it.
The main two change periodically, the others are mostly goofing around boards built from spares, so... maybe not so often for those ones.
'Bout to set up a Scram 8.75 squootball (squared football) shape in a minute, w/ some Thunder 151s & F4 54mm wheelers. SA sixth needless ride is just over the horixon, y'all.
Gonna make like Kool & the Gang and celebrate.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2021, 12:56:27 AM »
Two setups for a while now, a good-day board and a bad-day board. Good-day board is bigger, taller, and heavier for crustier spots (which is 90% of them), when the legs are feeling good etc: 8.5" Hockey/Quasi/WKND (anything steep with a 14.25wb will do), 54-56mm soft-ish wheels, currently NFG Crust vee's 54mm, Lurpiv 8.5's (formerly Indy standard 149's). Bad-day board is low and slow, easier to chuck around when the legs feel a little shitty or I've somehow lucked upon a smooth ground spot that isn't completely blown out: 8.25-8.38 with a 14ish" wb, usually Hockey Donovan or K-Rod shape, 50-52mm Spitfire Classics/Bigheads (usually let them weardown to sub 48mm), Ace Classic 44's. Reds all around.   

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2021, 05:22:06 AM »
1) Cruiser setup
AH 9.1 Orange Crusher
Indy 159
OJ Superjuice 60mm
Bones Reds
Mob

2) Curb slappy setup
Chocolate Couch 9.25
Indy 169 hollows
Spitfire Classic 52mm
Bronson G3
Mob

3) Flat ground tech
Quasi 9" eggshape
Thunder 149ti
Ricta 52mm
Bronson G3
Mob

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2021, 06:00:56 AM »
I roll with 2 at all times. Usually one shaped one popsicle. Currently with a Dane1 w/ ace 55 and 8.5 Polar w/ Indy 149 FH.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2021, 06:06:02 AM »
Main setup (miniramp and crusty bowls):
8.6" WKND Jordan Taylor (14.5wb)
159 Indy Hollow Forged Hollow
F4 Classic 54mm/99a

Smooth park/tech:
8.4" AH Grant Taylor Debris (14.25wb)
149 Thunder Hollow Lights
F4 Classic 52mm/101a

I think my gear madness has mostly subsided and I rarely skate the GT but picked it up just now and marveled at it so that'll change today (ha). Still playing around with wheels a bit, have conical fulls in 53mm/101a and 54mm/99a. Put some 56mm classics and risers on my main board and felt great in the crusty bowl down the street but seemed a bit off on my mini so those may get swapped back...

Where all the "I always keep a board in my car" dudes?
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2021, 06:38:52 AM »
Currently 3:

• Regular board
  • Cruiser with popsicle deck so I can still do tricks if I want. This one has decent bearings, trucks I love, etc., so I tend to avoid puddles, snow, etc.
  • Shaped cruiser that’s been through hell and back. Basically an all-season tank.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2021, 07:11:55 AM »
People with more that three complete skateboards are wild. I have two and that feels excessive, even if they are actually functionally different (to me).
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2021, 08:26:36 AM »
People with more that three complete skateboards are wild. I have two and that feels excessive, even if they are actually functionally different (to me).

at one point in time I felt like I was putting together completes like model kits.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2021, 08:48:30 AM »
Main: Space Program 8", Indy 139, OJ Natas 58mm 95a, Bones Swiss
2nd: Paul Shier Isle 8", Venture 8" high, Bones STF ~52mm, Reds
Christmas Complete hopefully: 8.75" with square nose or tail, indy or Ace to match, OJ Natas, Bronson Shieldless
ONTARIO CANADA

al_cvbrera

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2021, 09:19:51 AM »
Just one for right now because I misplaced my skate tool. I only have my street board now but this is what i’ll have once I find my tool or borrow someone elses.

Street:
Real 8.28
Thunder 148 Hollow Lights
Spitfire F4 Classic, 52mm
Quantum Isotope Ceramics
Mob

Transition:
Welcome Big Bunyip shape, 8.5. Redrilled it using the Chems WB mod tool so it can be either the original 14.5in wheelbase or 14in wheelbase. I like 14in better on this board. Still playing around with bringing either the front truck back or the back truck forward. I rarely use this board because I use the Real 8.28 for both street and transition, but it’s nice to have a designated transition setup now.
Ace AF1 55
Spitfire F4 Classic, in whatever size my old set of wheels have worn down to.
Quantum Isotope Ceramics
Madness “Son” grip

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2021, 09:46:31 AM »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2021, 10:55:03 AM »
I have an insane quiver right now. I miss when I just skated a 7.75" with Venture lows and didn't think about gear other than which AWS/Habitat board I was going to skate next.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2021, 11:12:34 AM »
I have an insane quiver right now. I miss when I just skated a 7.75" with Venture lows and didn't think about gear other than which AWS/Habitat board I was going to skate next.

I was thinking the other day about how, as a child, I would just go an entire summer without so much as adjusting my trucks. New decks were decided on the basis of what was cheapest, no consideration given even to width or length. Bearings were replaced on the basis of whether or not a wheel still spun.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 300
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2021, 11:16:13 AM »
2 setups but they are used for the same type of skating lol
Both are 8" popsicles, mob grip, 52-53 mm formula fours (shapes doesn't bother me; I'll skate conicals, classics, etc.)

The only difference really are the trucks: 5.2 Cast Venture His and 147 Thunder His (with DLX wooden risers since 147s are like 50 mm tall)

Just depends on my mood, but the ventures get the most usage

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2021, 02:19:38 PM »

Running 3 is my normal routine. Decks swap out as needed, trucks + wheels stay as is (the filmers are getting small though)
Park: 8.12 Eagle, Indy 144 Forged Hollows, Spitfire 52mm/101a Tablets
Street: 8.12 Darkroom, Indy 144 Standard, Bones 52mm/80a Filmers
Fun/Cruiser: 8.75 Imperfects Symmetrical Egg, Indy Stage V 149s, Bones 54mm/80a Filmers

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2021, 02:44:01 PM »
I went a little crazy and set up a bunch of boards, but realistically only 3 are functional. 2 more also get skated relatively often enough

Regular setup
Slappy board with rails
Filming board

Beach Bum
Reissued Cab mini

I did away with my “park” board because it barely ever got used. I sized up on my regular setup to 8.25. I’m up to 54’s after years of skating 52’s and under. I’m not a fan of using rails on my regular setup, but I like doing the curb shuffle. The Cab Mini and the Beach Bum are just fun to skate and goof around on

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I have a Zinger with ACE 11’s and 50mm classics. It’s fun for what it is. I always wanted the original orange colorway when I was a teenager, but never got one. Had to get one as an adult
There's a fair bit of taper on the 8.6 zig zagger so here's the width measurements over the mounting holes nose to tail. 203mm, 210mm.     206mm, 197mm.  I could happily skate Indy 129s on it if I had to (altho I tend to prefer hoverboard style) 109s might be a little too narrow for a regular person who likes things closer to flush. I suppose measure your wheels width and see how much difference there is

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2021, 11:07:39 PM »
I’ve got too many.
Tons of parts. Probably have more than 10 sets of trucks, and I switch these around on a stack of boards that ranges from wild asymmetrical shaped boards to very tame 7.75s. Trucks are usually the component I’m most motivated by.
I will drive to spots, that I could walk or skate too, so that I can bring 3 setups. That’s a bummer.
The different boards, just trying to get sparked. Get some juice.
I am pretty sure I know what I skate best on, but sometimes that just doesn’t look fun.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2021, 07:54:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was thinking the other day about how, as a child, I would just go an entire summer without so much as adjusting my trucks. New decks were decided on the basis of what was cheapest, no consideration given even to width or length. Bearings were replaced on the basis of whether or not a wheel still spun.
For me, the advent of hd skate vids contributed to gear madness. Suddenly, you can see what trucks, wheels, deck shapes everyone's riding and you wonder to yourself if you could also skate better with the  set up on screen.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2021, 08:29:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
For me, the advent of hd skate vids contributed to gear madness. Suddenly, you can see what trucks, wheels, deck shapes everyone's riding and you wonder to yourself if you could also skate better with the  set up on screen.

Having a real job and kids but no time to skate also helps you waste countless hours at night obsessing over setups