Author Topic: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced  (Read 41712 times)

hobochimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
Re: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced
« Reply #360 on: June 05, 2022, 12:04:07 PM »
Anyone fully switched over to the lows from the regular af1s?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #361 on: June 05, 2022, 12:33:42 PM »
Hell yeah, but I'm using 1/10" risers. I don't have any deck that's steep enough to skate them without risers. With the right risers, you can use these trucks on any deck. Still in love with them. They should sell the low baseplates, I'd get another pair for the future. Love the fact that all my AF1s can now be lows and highs.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
« Reply #362 on: June 05, 2022, 01:02:05 PM »
Damn this thread is really tempting me to get some 44 lows

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2016
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #363 on: June 05, 2022, 08:50:28 PM »
Mine came in the mail today, really tempted to set the up but I got a couple of tricks I want to work on during the AM session. Worried going from Venture (forged plates) to Ace will be too drastic a change in WB. Also, trucks with no grooves are the worse.

Skated my first session in and I'm really liking them, most noticeable difference was the lightened pop feel coming off Ventures with forged baseplates. 3 years ago I would have hated trucks that popped light since I always stomped down hard on my tail. Over the past 12 months I've tried to lighten up my pop which is needed for a truck like Ace. Lowered height also made the pop snappier and easier to get the timing. In short, it feels like the right truck for this stage in my life.

Surfy turn without the wheelbite, twitch wasn't as bad as I imagined but the threads were showing a little more than I liked riding them at factory tightness. Do the bushings harden up with time?

Slides great on the baseplate, the metal is soft like Thunder and really fast. Ben Degros mentioned that his crooked grinds were affected because of how far the wheels were set back and how much the hanger articulated during the pinch. Didn't experience that at all and was locking in cleaner than before. Maybe it has something to do with the lower height?

Some clicking on trucks during deep turns, I expect that from new trucks, just hope it doesn't persist.

I'll rock these trucks till the end of this deck's life - another 2 more weeks or 6 or so sessions.

Edit: Ace 44 AF1 Lo on a 8.38 x 32.2 x 14.25
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Carter

• Rep: 2
« Reply #364 on: June 07, 2022, 12:54:22 PM »
anyone else bushings getting totally chewed up?? do the flat (bones bushing washers) washers help the situation? other than that love this trucks and I went from thunder titanium lights

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #365 on: June 07, 2022, 03:10:20 PM »
anyone else bushings getting totally chewed up?? do the flat (bones bushing washers) washers help the situation? other than that love this trucks and I went from thunder titanium lights

My bushings are fine, but the hangers got some pretty deep cuts from the top washers

Bumba

• Rep: 33
« Reply #366 on: June 07, 2022, 04:39:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My bushings are fine, but the hangers got some pretty deep cuts from the top washers

Would you be able to post photos? It's one thing that putting me off the lows. The hanger and washers catching. Does it stop your turn?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #367 on: June 08, 2022, 07:43:37 PM »
Threads were still showing so I loosened up the axle nut a bit more, lots more creaking on the trucks especially during deep turns. Dealing with a lot more wobble and twitch, but I get what reviewers says that they feel badass when they roll away from tricks with these trucks on.

I've had to widen my stance and put from front foot further up the nose to compensate for the WB shifting inwards.

Pinch on them is insanely good, both from the lowered height and the bushing rebound.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
« Reply #368 on: June 09, 2022, 10:03:50 AM »
There’s aspects of the truck which are really fun.  I think I could cram an 8 into my 44’s nicely so I’m considering another smaller set up from the 8.25/ventures set up I run.  At least until I go through the trucks.  I was thinking an FA board with steeper kicks or an Ishod twin with a smaller nose/long wheelbase….

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1036
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #369 on: June 10, 2022, 06:54:24 PM »
I’d say it’s this truck vs a thunder in the battle of the low trucks….

Ace Lo: Pro: less wheelbite, wheelbase tighter, turn well
Thunder: lighter options, more stable.

Worth a try I think.  The af-1 and classics are too clunky for me, this truck is way more skateable.  I liked being so low and the wheelbite doesn’t eject you like a thunder.  The weight didn’t bother me that much either. 

That said I skated my old ventures yesterday and skating flat and doing manuals is just easier.  It could be my lack of skill….. 

Throw in the Forged Mindy for that 50.5mm in between love.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #370 on: June 11, 2022, 12:15:31 AM »
Expand Quote

Worth a try I think.  The af-1 and classics are too clunky for me, this truck is way more skateable.  I liked being so low and the wheelbite doesn’t eject you like a thunder.  The weight didn’t bother me that much either. 

That said I skated my old ventures yesterday and skating flat and doing manuals is just easier.  It could be my lack of skill….. 
[close]

I'm 4 sessions in and I'm sold on them, especially for any deck with a 14.38" and needs some tightening up. Foot placement needs a lot of adjustment (wider, more shoe over the center line of the deck), but the twitchiness of the trucks lends itself 180 tricks because the trucks naturally want to turn. I'm find I have to be heavier on my front foot during kickflips and hardflips to counter the light pop feel if not I'm whiffing all day long.

The pinch on the is fantastic, goes excellent with the softer metal and faster grind.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #371 on: June 11, 2022, 10:56:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm 4 sessions in and I'm sold on them, especially for any deck with a 14.38" and needs some tightening up. Foot placement needs a lot of adjustment (wider, more shoe over the center line of the deck), but the twitchiness of the trucks lends itself 180 tricks because the trucks naturally want to turn. I'm find I have to be heavier on my front foot during kickflips and hardflips to counter the light pop feel if not I'm whiffing all day long.

The pinch on the is fantastic, goes excellent with the softer metal and faster grind.

Softer than what? AF1s are hard.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #372 on: June 11, 2022, 04:19:25 PM »
I suspect it depends on what you are used to…..

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #373 on: June 11, 2022, 08:29:40 PM »

Like I asked, softer than what?

Having skated all of it, they are as hard as Ventures, there's nothing harder.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #374 on: June 11, 2022, 10:08:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Like I asked, softer than what?

Having skated all of it, they are as hard as Ventures, there's nothing harder.

Coming off Ventures, the AF1 did feel softer. Or maybe the hanger was still really smooth, leading to a fast feeling grind.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #375 on: June 11, 2022, 11:47:21 PM »
That’s…….where I was going….

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #376 on: June 14, 2022, 09:38:33 PM »
Thanks to ace doing the opposite of the traditional low version having a different hangar same baseplate I was able to swap my 22 hangars on to my low and I got those ace LOW hard bushings and man

My 8” setup is so nice and fun, the right weight and everything

I don’t know about you guys but my experience feels when it comes to 8” and smaller decks they work best with a low truck with medium or tight trucks cause the deck is so thin it’s easier to get pressure on the sides and get the trucks leaning for a turn

My ace af1 low 22 with the LOW hards feel like an Indy that has thunder abilities

yes

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • Get bent
« Reply #377 on: July 10, 2022, 06:53:44 AM »
Picked up a pair cause you guys piqued my interest, have been skating ventures for a bit now, looking forward to getting a low low truck to try out 
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

eSK3

« Reply #378 on: July 11, 2022, 11:12:26 AM »

I went all in after skating Indy hollows for years. No regrets, almost all ghost pop gone.

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #379 on: July 11, 2022, 11:42:43 AM »
Has anybody been running these on riser pads?

I'm asking before commiting to a summer of truck madness. they should be super responsive I think

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #380 on: July 11, 2022, 01:45:52 PM »
Has anybody been running these on riser pads?

I'm asking before commiting to a summer of truck madness. they should be super responsive I think

Absolutely, I'm on 1/10" mini logo riser pads and it's lovely.

Btw I've found that standard bottom bushing and bones medium top works the best for me.

logjammin

• Rep: 365
« Reply #381 on: July 17, 2022, 09:14:48 AM »
Madness got me, local had the new lows so I bought em for the baseplates. Put my AF1 44 hangers that I've been using on 'em with 1/8" Ace risers underneath, bringing them to 52mm. Someone else had mentioned these new lows bring the wheelbase in a little bit, I haven't measured but it seems true. They feel like Ace classics now without risers, turning is great and since the riser is underneath you wouldn't think these were some shitty no turning low trucks, and the kingpin clearance is just the same as the standard hi's, if not maybe a little better. One thing I noticed is the stock pivot cups on these lows fit the pivot points of the hangers nice and snug and secure and there seems to be a little more width/aluminum on the sides of the pivot cavities. Going to try slappies today hopefully these cups don't rip, but I skated them yesterday and they feel nice and lighten up the load a little bit. Pop was nice, too. I kept the bottom bushings stock with the Array sleeved washers, but am using harder top bushings with a flat Bones washer to reduce the bite and increase rebound.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #382 on: July 24, 2022, 06:43:45 PM »
Has anyone found the Hard Low bushings anywhere than ACE's site?

I don't feel like paying $4.34 shipping for $7.95 bushings :\

LebowskisRug

« Reply #383 on: July 25, 2022, 10:24:07 AM »
I know 3 people that are on AF1 lows now and all 3 seemed to arrive at just running Bones Hards. I know that Jordan Trahan switched to Bones Mediums as well because of his stock bushings getting trashed and ran them with risers before going back to normal AF1.

In my brief experience with AF1 they definitely grinned way better than Ventures on granite ledges.

logjammin

« Reply #384 on: July 25, 2022, 12:45:10 PM »
I went back to the hi's. If anyone wants to try the lows I have 33 sized hangers brand new raw, and the low baseplates that are barely used.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1143
« Reply #385 on: July 25, 2022, 05:30:31 PM »
I went back to the hi's. If anyone wants to try the lows I have 33 sized hangers brand new raw, and the low baseplates that are barely used.

I’ll hem and haw about this for awhile.
I’ve supposedly settled the madness and just skate venture lo’s (and sometimes thunder 147s…, but really just the ventures. 🙄) and I’m all about size 8 everything.
What didn’t you like?
I must admit, I’m really not on the ace train these days. I got the ace 33s right when they became available near me, 2006? 2007? Somewhere in there…at times I’ve been all about them, I keep some around, but I’ve just slowly stopped skating boards with ace trucks. Turn is the best, I just don’t get the pop I want/am used too

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #386 on: July 25, 2022, 06:01:16 PM »
I put in some pretty new bones mediums, and like with the royals, the bones just ruined the native feel of the truck. They became a non-turning-until-they-tip-a-bit-feeling truck; they totally work, they just lose all the surfy vibes.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1143
« Reply #387 on: July 25, 2022, 09:45:39 PM »
I put in some pretty new bones mediums, and like with the royals, the bones just ruined the native feel of the truck. They became a non-turning-until-they-tip-a-bit-feeling truck; they totally work, they just lose all the surfy vibes.

I haven’t tried these trucks, but I feel like this is a very accurate description of bones bushings. Maybe they were better, once upon a time, but they just don’t feel as good as stock bushings, to me. Bones bushings are great if you don’t want to break in your trucks.
Anyways, carry on

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #388 on: July 26, 2022, 03:25:41 AM »

Can totally confirm this. My solution is still stock bottom and bones med top. Keeps the same turn, but there's way more rebound

logjammin

« Reply #389 on: July 26, 2022, 06:13:14 AM »
I thought I was the only one...yeah Bones really mellow out Ace's turn. I know this is the low thread but if anyone is still digging the hi's, I found an insanely good bushing combo. Thunder 90a white bottoms and then a Bones hard top. Holy moly is the turn insanely snappy and deep. Something about Thunder's aftermarket bushings, they might even outperform Ace's bushings.