Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 420662 times)

mindfuzz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 37
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #1110 on: November 22, 2022, 07:58:38 AM »
I feel like the line/crack on the ground was the most damning.

Regardless of whether or not he fully cleared, clip was filmed terribly.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #1111 on: November 22, 2022, 08:06:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think two things can be true at once. Tyshawn is an amazing skateboarder with a ton of pop and that he didn't clear the top of the table completely on his switch ollie. Regardless, he's still in the running for SOTY. I can tell you one thing, you can't cheat the Subway station kickflip (unless the cover isn't an actual make but I think he made it).
[close]

I don't think Atiba would put his reputation on the kind for a weird lie like that.

Regardless I think we all agree that Tyshawn could switch ollie a table clean even if this one wasn't perfect. He should do a big fuck you to everyone here and just casually drop a clip of him doing it again with another angle lol
[close]

This was the theory in the other thread, and I think he will, but this clip from the general kind of spoils the impact of a no BS make, doesn't it?
Sure it's nitpicking and dissecting the details, but that comes with the territory of slo-mo'ing a faker makerTM NBD

If we're giving people a pass on what they *could* do vs what they actual got on the clip, then Sheckler's BS Flip El-Toro was a make

yeah it reminds me of a lot of shit that was done in the 90s, GH would probably say it wasn't a proper kickflip since it was mobbed and he didnt land it straight on

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1112 on: November 22, 2022, 08:10:39 AM »
Except gonz kickflipped the gap
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #1113 on: November 22, 2022, 08:21:33 AM »
The weirdest part to me is how he had a photographer and presumably a crew there when he did it and no one was like 'hey i don't think that was legit' and then when it came to the editing process for the clip the same thing happened and they even slo-mo'd the clip. How did no one pick up on it, or if they did why did they not say anything?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1114 on: November 22, 2022, 08:25:54 AM »
The weirdest part to me is how he had a photographer and presumably a crew there when he did it and no one was like 'hey i don't think that was legit' and then when it came to the editing process for the clip the same thing happened and they even slo-mo'd the clip. How did no one pick up on it, or if they did why did they not say anything?
No one around tyshawn questioned his king logo, you think theyd step to him to do it again if he was over it?

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1115 on: November 22, 2022, 08:37:04 AM »

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1116 on: November 22, 2022, 08:38:33 AM »
Credit where credit is due, the shadow argument makes a lot of sense.

I agree with most of GH said, but I have two caveats...

1) The sun (of course) aims at a downward angle. Considering the shadows aren't very long in the clip, its a fairly sharp downward angle without a ton of lateral misalignment. Its not like the sun is coming directly from the side like a 90 degree angle (which would mean the shadow hitting the side of the table would confirm he didn't have enough height).

Why does that matter?

It means Tyshawn could have still cleared the full height/length of the upper deck of the table (that 5x20 as GH describes), but just had a misaligned ollie. Its very hard to ollie perfectly straight when you're going full tilt like that (especially riding/popping switch). I don't think the crooked ollie was "cheating" on purpose like some people are suggesting.

Again though, if all of this is the case, then why isn't there a second angle?

2) If Tyshawn ollied it at an angle, then that means he ollied further than necessary if he would have done it completely straight. Pythagorean theorem and all that jazz. Meaning he would have had to maintain that height for that much longer.

Obviously clearing the full height of the table is more impressive than adding a few inches onto your distance. But it also means he may have maintained that height for the full [20 units] of distance, but it was misaligned so he didn't clear the corner.

My point is that these two factors combined could just be chalked up to him being on a time crunch (these are LA tables right?) during a west coast trip, and not having time to clean it up. Probably also wanted to save his legs to get other clips rather than fatiguing himself on perfecting the details of one clip.

I really don't think there is any doubt any anyone's mind that he can do this. Skitch him at the table on a dirt bike and he clearly has the height to clear that thing clean lengthwise.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 09:01:37 AM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

manysnakes

« Reply #1117 on: November 22, 2022, 08:39:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think two things can be true at once. Tyshawn is an amazing skateboarder with a ton of pop and that he didn't clear the top of the table completely on his switch ollie. Regardless, he's still in the running for SOTY. I can tell you one thing, you can't cheat the Subway station kickflip (unless the cover isn't an actual make but I think he made it).
[close]

I don't think Atiba would put his reputation on the kind for a weird lie like that.

Regardless I think we all agree that Tyshawn could switch ollie a table clean even if this one wasn't perfect. He should do a big fuck you to everyone here and just casually drop a clip of him doing it again with another angle lol
[close]

This was the theory in the other thread, and I think he will, but this clip from the general kind of spoils the impact of a no BS make, doesn't it?
Sure it's nitpicking and dissecting the details, but that comes with the territory of slo-mo'ing a faker makerTM NBD

If we're giving people a pass on what they *could* do vs what they actual got on the clip, then Sheckler's BS Flip El-Toro was a make
[close]

yeah it reminds me of a lot of shit that was done in the 90s, GH would probably say it wasn't a proper kickflip since it was mobbed and he didnt land it straight on

A baffling thing to say.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 175
« Reply #1118 on: November 22, 2022, 08:49:44 AM »
Joa should send @sharkin a Sci-Fi box or a portion of his YouTube revenue for this video.  Shameful to pretend he didn’t lift this entire argument from the Judy Blume thread.  Would be so easy just to cite his sources.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #1119 on: November 22, 2022, 09:03:34 AM »
I bet he’s never seen digital: get tricks or die tryin’

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 344
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1120 on: November 22, 2022, 09:24:11 AM »
I personally don't mind that he uses slap opinions for his videos, since a lot of what is talked about on here could be digested by the general skating population if formatted correctly, it would be nice if he provided a bibliography of sorts though, I would understandably be probably be pissed if he regurgitated something I said in a video that got 250k views without any reference to my likeness of some sort

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 112
« Reply #1121 on: November 22, 2022, 09:34:15 AM »
skateboarding opinions can originate from more than one place, but the evidence is pretty abundant that tyshawn didnt get a proper sw ollie. would be interesting to hear what the discussions on it were in the editing room because it was pretty clear even from a first watch it didnt look quite right

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1122 on: November 22, 2022, 10:06:25 AM »
you usually don't contradict the General, the King or the cock's owner

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1123 on: November 22, 2022, 10:07:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I back this. Not because of SOTY, but because it‘s still an NBD, but since he wears a different outfit on the thrasher cover, the possibility still stands he made it in the thrasher picture
[close]

I back this because there are much better parts and I'm tired of the popularity contest
[close]

Care to name a few of these “much better” parts? Genuinely curious as to what you think.
Jake Anderson's, John and Diego Todd's parts in Hockey X, T-Funk's, Lucien Genand's, Nick Garcia's, Gustav in Sour Solution III, I might even like Ishod's part more because his style is so immaculate in it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 10:28:25 AM by HiResDes »

Sid Farkus - Bra Salesman

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1124 on: November 22, 2022, 10:41:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

A baffling thing to say.
Gonz did the damn thing that's why it's the Gonz gap..and going the angle he did made it longer
Free Charlie Rambo

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 430
« Reply #1125 on: November 22, 2022, 10:44:03 AM »
He didn't go over the top. Anyone with eyes can see it. I don't know why it's even a discussion.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

tityboi

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1126 on: November 22, 2022, 10:52:29 AM »
He didn't go over the top. Anyone with eyes can see it. I don't know why it's even a discussion.

Pooh Drunx

• Rep: -62
« Reply #1127 on: November 22, 2022, 10:56:26 AM »
dont know why tyshawn woulndt just try that one more time if he got that close. The next try should be all day and i dont know why they would try to slip that clip in like that like we wouldnt notice. Seems like one more try would have nullified all of this.

rukes

• Rep: 221
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #1128 on: November 22, 2022, 12:09:09 PM »
On one hand slap is like 'skateboarding is not a sport' and on the other they judging this shit like it's a fuckin Olympics athletics meet
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -72
« Reply #1129 on: November 22, 2022, 12:17:48 PM »
On one hand slap is like 'skateboarding is not a sport' and on the other they judging this shit like it's a fuckin Olympics athletics meet

Sport or not you gotta come correct.

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1130 on: November 22, 2022, 12:18:59 PM »

Art is arguably even more harshly critiqued

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #1131 on: November 22, 2022, 12:20:04 PM »
I bet you he’s never even seen the fkd bearing video.

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Rep: -145
  • commitment issues (in life and skating)
« Reply #1132 on: November 22, 2022, 01:11:01 PM »

yall think this was meant for gh

#switchgod

• Rep: -98
  • One love.
« Reply #1133 on: November 22, 2022, 01:27:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sport or not you gotta come correct.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1134 on: November 22, 2022, 01:27:50 PM »
He’s the jumping guy and it’s about clearing a famous obstacle. What do you expect? Of course it’s gonna be scrutinized.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #1135 on: November 22, 2022, 01:55:47 PM »
I bet you he’s never even seen the fkd bearing video.

I bet you he’s never seen dvd footy of gonz purchasing postage in a crammed skate house living room.

nothing's been the since same

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #1136 on: November 22, 2022, 02:18:49 PM »
what no pussy does to a mf

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 430
« Reply #1137 on: November 22, 2022, 03:03:16 PM »
TJ is live on IG right now skating the table.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Pooh Drunx

• Rep: -62
« Reply #1139 on: November 22, 2022, 03:06:57 PM »

so you like it all? everything you have ever seen, skating wise, gets an unconditional pass for begin valid?