Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 420589 times)

lurkluke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 194
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #3690 on: January 16, 2024, 01:29:48 PM »
Expand Quote
How do brands making a video actually calculate the return on investment of all the money they put into trips and whatever else over that time period? Does a video finally drop after a year of filming and immediately their sales rise high enough to cover a year's worth of investment and they can say hey that was all worth it? It all just seems like it would be so difficult to walk away after spending all that money with cold hard numbers as you can't put half of skateboarding 'metrics' like cool factor into your spreadsheet.
[close]
This is the reason why brands like sci fi sell 40 dollar low quality ts and 80 plus dollar hoodies. The mark up obviously isn't for the quality but to support a team and trips like these. From what I can tell, the product is selling well and making a videoo is just an investment to reup on reasons their fans will continue to buy the gear.

He also lucked out getting free tour video coverage with these GH vlogs.

That's not luck - it's brand strategy.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3691 on: January 17, 2024, 09:46:45 AM »

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
« Reply #3692 on: January 17, 2024, 09:58:32 AM »
I know some videos/companies have been shit on for trying too hard for it to seem like they're having a lot of fun together, but these recent videos are giving me the opposite vibe.

This trip seems awkward and boring based on what I see

manysnakes

« Reply #3693 on: January 17, 2024, 10:42:02 AM »
Expand Quote
How do brands making a video actually calculate the return on investment of all the money they put into trips and whatever else over that time period? Does a video finally drop after a year of filming and immediately their sales rise high enough to cover a year's worth of investment and they can say hey that was all worth it? It all just seems like it would be so difficult to walk away after spending all that money with cold hard numbers as you can't put half of skateboarding 'metrics' like cool factor into your spreadsheet.
[close]

It's simply advertising.

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #3694 on: January 17, 2024, 11:32:49 AM »

‘ryans gay little pizza’ killed me

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 30
« Reply #3695 on: January 17, 2024, 12:08:31 PM »
I know some videos/companies have been shit on for trying too hard for it to seem like they're having a lot of fun together, but these recent videos are giving me the opposite vibe.

i disagree. i think they're all just enjoying what seems like a chill and relaxed skate trip. all of them seem to get along and I bet it's a little awkward to have a camera pointed at u during regular life shit. off camera i'm sure the vibes are better.

I've enjoyed every video. some of the spots they've gone to look really sick and I'm hoping they're all stacking some dope shit!

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 142
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #3696 on: January 17, 2024, 12:46:33 PM »

Yeah. Whataburger, pizza, bowling, private indoor park sessions, hot tub/pool, temporary tattoos, ninja stars, skating as part of one of the best teams around; looks like a real slog.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3697 on: January 17, 2024, 12:47:55 PM »
all the Sci Fi skaters are pretty interesting to me and these vlogs seem like a genuine good time. That spot with the mellow bank to curb and the flat rails looks amazing.

cornman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #3698 on: January 17, 2024, 05:51:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah. Whataburger, pizza, bowling, private indoor park sessions, hot tub/pool, temporary tattoos, ninja stars, skating as part of one of the best teams around; looks like a real slog.
My man is waiting for the episode where the piercing kids meet back up and sell the crew an eight ball and they get zooted in a Tuscon strip club/lunch buffet.

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 142
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #3699 on: January 17, 2024, 07:37:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
My man is waiting for the episode where the piercing kids meet back up and sell the crew an eight ball and they get zooted in a Tuscon strip club/lunch buffet.

*SNORT* And now we show you the real Tucson.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #3700 on: January 17, 2024, 08:09:15 PM »
Is this the first ever vlog of a pro team tour?  Don't think i've ever really thought about the fruitless pursuit of spots and how expensive it'd be until just watching it unfold.  Jerry must be some kinda fuckin' Ramdas cunt to just be hanging, skating the spots while being cool about not getting anything, but he knows the deal I guess.  Been super fun to watch and good marketing for whatever comes of the footage but even just a pissy little trip like this would cost what, like 10k?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3701 on: January 17, 2024, 08:11:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I doubt video releases correlate directly to board sales, unless of course you have something like a Limosine model where you drop product and videos simultaneously. Moreso video releases play a major part of the marketing of a brand, making sure its reputation, image, and relevancy is ensured so that income consistently comes in at a sufficient level. For example, brands like Toy machine, Zero, and Alien wouldn't do the numbers they do today without having released their seminal full-lengths. It's kind of a necessary investment for any company in skateboarding; and I bet it's less about how much you spend for a trip than how your spending results in the 'best' video (one that has impact in terms of views and/or legacy).

The issue you bring up is one of running a skate company solely on "cold hard metrics". It's why venture capitalist involvement in skate companies often results in failure. Skateboarding is difficult in this way, as you rightly assume; no MBA can prepare someone adequately for running a skate company.

I think Sci-Fi putting Joa on generates, among other things, a relatively cheap way of marketing the brand. Joa will put out ten videos advertising the brand and its riders inadvertently in the time and resources it takes Jerry to put together one full-length.
These videos might generate just as many views as a full length too. Doesn't have the same weight, but you could say does way more for brand connection for fans.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3702 on: January 17, 2024, 09:03:47 PM »
Is this the first ever vlog of a pro team tour? Don't think i've ever really thought about the fruitless pursuit of spots and how expensive it'd be until just watching it unfold.  Jerry must be some kinda fuckin' Ramdas cunt to just be hanging, skating the spots while being cool about not getting anything, but he knows the deal I guess.  Been super fun to watch and good marketing for whatever comes of the footage but even just a pissy little trip like this would cost what, like 10k?
Thinking this could've been the first vlog of a pro team tour

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #3703 on: January 17, 2024, 09:04:56 PM »
I liked how lifted tater used Deftones - Be Quiet and Drive as a joke for the exaggerated ride on grind part and then it's listed in the credits for the new Carhartt vid coming out lol

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3704 on: January 17, 2024, 09:06:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Is this the first ever vlog of a pro team tour? Don't think i've ever really thought about the fruitless pursuit of spots and how expensive it'd be until just watching it unfold.  Jerry must be some kinda fuckin' Ramdas cunt to just be hanging, skating the spots while being cool about not getting anything, but he knows the deal I guess.  Been super fun to watch and good marketing for whatever comes of the footage but even just a pissy little trip like this would cost what, like 10k?
[close]
Thinking this could've been the first vlog of a pro team tour

Never seen that, thanks! 

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3705 on: January 17, 2024, 09:07:12 PM »
I liked how lifted tater used Deftones - Be Quiet and Drive as a joke for the exaggerated ride on grind part and then it's listed in the credits for the new Carhartt vid coming out lol
Call him what you want, but he's a real trendwatcher. 

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #3706 on: January 17, 2024, 09:14:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hey, I'm enjoying the slop from the trough like everyone else!

Fat Bill shoutout and "I thought we were about to see your Glick" were today's highlights.

I just heard the same song again in the new Dern bros video too... for the Dana Hills High kinked rail skate history video. Holy fuck that's a lot of words. Logan Kirshak 5050 bs180 out in unknown video.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 09:24:03 PM by Steely Daniel »

chudzinski

• Rep: -2
« Reply #3707 on: January 17, 2024, 09:31:50 PM »
I love that vlogman picked up on the kids talking about GH more than Jerry.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #3708 on: January 17, 2024, 10:04:27 PM »
Is this the first ever vlog of a pro team tour?  Don't think i've ever really thought about the fruitless pursuit of spots and how expensive it'd be until just watching it unfold.  Jerry must be some kinda fuckin' Ramdas cunt to just be hanging, skating the spots while being cool about not getting anything, but he knows the deal I guess.  Been super fun to watch and good marketing for whatever comes of the footage but even just a pissy little trip like this would cost what, like 10k?
i don’t know how long the trip is but no way is it close to 10k

prisoner223

« Reply #3709 on: January 17, 2024, 10:38:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Idk bro those were pretty big pizzas

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #3710 on: January 18, 2024, 02:28:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

*SNORT* And now we show you the real Tucson.

*SNORT* Someone’s been to the Tuscon Gem n Mineral show. *gag*

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3711 on: January 18, 2024, 02:57:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I guess in Australia it'd be 10k

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3712 on: January 18, 2024, 02:59:11 AM »
10k is around 125 sci fi hoodies
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #3713 on: January 18, 2024, 03:53:50 AM »

Plus the trip counts as a business expense when it comes to taxes.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
« Reply #3714 on: January 18, 2024, 05:50:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Jeez I really got downvoted for this lol. I should clarify I don't think those activities are boring, but the videos themselves are full of mundane clips/moments. I shouldn't be surprised though since Joa said that posting something daily for this trip will lend itself to kinda boring videos.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 479
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #3715 on: January 18, 2024, 07:13:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Hey, I'm enjoying the slop from the trough like everyone else!

Fat Bill shoutout and "I thought we were about to see your Glick" were today's highlights.

I just heard the same song again in the new Dern bros video too... for the Dana Hills High kinked rail skate history video. Holy fuck that's a lot of words. Logan Kirshak 5050 bs180 out in unknown video.

That was in Play Dead. Different Deftones song though
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3716 on: January 18, 2024, 07:33:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sci Fi reposts people wearing their gear and riding their boards almost everyday. Like multiple times a day. Maybe other companies just refuse to do that but judging by the enthusiasm of their fans, they can afford a 10k tour even if it's unproductive and mainly just fun.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #3717 on: January 18, 2024, 07:46:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Sci Fi reposts people wearing their gear and riding their boards almost everyday. Like multiple times a day. Maybe other companies just refuse to do that but judging by the enthusiasm of their fans, they can afford a 10k tour even if it's unproductive and mainly just fun.

Totally agree with you here. My point was:
Even if the trip would cost 10k and sci-fi would be doing great, a skatetrip wouldn’t be so much of a problem, since it would count as a business expense

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3718 on: January 18, 2024, 07:53:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Totally agree with you here. My point was:
Even if the trip would cost 10k and sci-fi would be doing great, a skatetrip wouldn’t be so much of a problem, since it would count as a business expense
I figured that was your point. I guess i was just piling on a similar sentiment  8)

DVstorm_chaser

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3719 on: January 18, 2024, 08:25:55 AM »
https://youtu.be/2HRQy0hRoH8?si=0R1zv3VuKaFicmRZ