Poll

Are you watching GiftedHater?

Yes
No
Yes & Patreon subscribed
Fuck no
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?  (Read 420507 times)

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
Re: Thoughts on Gifted Hater?
« Reply #3720 on: January 18, 2024, 09:05:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
10k is around 125 sci fi hoodies
[close]

Plus the trip counts as a business expense when it comes to taxes.
[close]
Sci Fi reposts people wearing their gear and riding their boards almost everyday. Like multiple times a day. Maybe other companies just refuse to do that but judging by the enthusiasm of their fans, they can afford a 10k tour even if it's unproductive and mainly just fun.
[close]

Totally agree with you here. My point was:
Even if the trip would cost 10k and sci-fi would be doing great, a skatetrip wouldn’t be so much of a problem, since it would count as a business expense
[close]
I figured that was your point. I guess i was just piling on a similar sentiment  8)

Ah ok. I must have misunderstood your post. Sorry…

lurkluke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #3721 on: January 18, 2024, 10:16:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Sci Fi reposts people wearing their gear and riding their boards almost everyday. Like multiple times a day. Maybe other companies just refuse to do that but judging by the enthusiasm of their fans, they can afford a 10k tour even if it's unproductive and mainly just fun.
[close]

Even if the trip would cost 10k and sci-fi would be doing great, a skatetrip wouldn’t be so much of a problem, since it would count as a business expense

Do you think business expenses are free or something?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3722 on: January 18, 2024, 10:48:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I think he means that a lot of the expenses can be written off when filing taxes.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3723 on: January 18, 2024, 11:22:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
I think he means that a lot of the expenses can be written off when filing taxes.

this

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 142
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #3724 on: January 18, 2024, 11:37:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Is this the first ever vlog of a pro team tour? Don't think i've ever really thought about the fruitless pursuit of spots and how expensive it'd be until just watching it unfold.  Jerry must be some kinda fuckin' Ramdas cunt to just be hanging, skating the spots while being cool about not getting anything, but he knows the deal I guess.  Been super fun to watch and good marketing for whatever comes of the footage but even just a pissy little trip like this would cost what, like 10k?
[close]
Thinking this could've been the first vlog of a pro team tour

Yep. I'd say that could very well be the first. Although, it seemed to be more focused on the half-baked Easy Rider fantasy than the skating.

RE: Sci-Fi's "fruitless pursuit of spots" and Jerry Hsu "being cool about not getting anything," I'm absolutely positive that they managed to get clips because they definitely aren't going to include the footage in the vlogs. But yeah, I'm sure every trip has those days where everyone comes up empty.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

dazza

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3725 on: January 18, 2024, 12:27:23 PM »
wait a sec. is zak anders on? love that guy.

No Wave Comply

« Reply #3726 on: January 18, 2024, 12:45:50 PM »

I'm pretty sure, yes. Big fan too. Apparently they're "taking him for a test drive" and he's "probably" on. He has also been in all six of the vlogs and Sci-Fi's Instagram stories/posts lately, so I'd say chances are very good.

Anyone not that familiar with Zak Anders should check out his COW BOY solo part and the other Chase Walker videos from the past two years.

lurkluke

« Reply #3727 on: January 18, 2024, 12:51:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

this

A business doesn't have a magic pot of free money for "tax write offs"

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #3728 on: January 18, 2024, 01:40:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Is this the first ever vlog of a pro team tour?  Don't think i've ever really thought about the fruitless pursuit of spots and how expensive it'd be until just watching it unfold.  Jerry must be some kinda fuckin' Ramdas cunt to just be hanging, skating the spots while being cool about not getting anything, but he knows the deal I guess.  Been super fun to watch and good marketing for whatever comes of the footage but even just a pissy little trip like this would cost what, like 10k?
[close]
https://youtu.be/2HRQy0hRoH8?si=0R1zv3VuKaFicmRZ

Moreso mean from start to end, just showing all the mundane kinda shit, as it's happening, not just selected cool / goof off b sides.  Like Dan Corrigan in a cool team.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3729 on: January 18, 2024, 03:03:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

this
[close]

Not necessarily. But you are aware how marketing works, right? Plus Jerry probably makes some decent coin with sci-fi. So I guess there is some revenue.
Also - a company doesn’t need to be run running like a private household, where you want to avoid debt. Sometimes investing and going into red numbers may be a risk you need to take. Though I’m sure, that a skatetrip to Tucson will not kill Sci-fi‘s entire budget.

You either sound like a burned business owner or someone, who doesn’t have any clue about it at all. Chance are this Venn diagram has some overlap

lurkluke

« Reply #3730 on: January 18, 2024, 03:27:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

this
[close]

[close]
Not necessarily. But you are aware how marketing works, right? Plus Jerry probably makes some decent coin with sci-fi. So I guess there is some revenue.
Also - a company doesn’t need to be run running like a private household, where you want to avoid debt. Sometimes investing and going into red numbers may be a risk you need to take. Though I’m sure, that a skatetrip to Tucson will not kill Sci-fi‘s entire budget.

You either sound like a burned business owner or someone, who doesn’t have any clue about it at all. Chance are this Venn diagram has some overlap

I never said it would kill their budget. I also understand this is marketing. But there's a world of people out there who, for some reaso,n believe a "tax write off" means things don't co...

eh this doesn't matter at all. Im not sure what I'm arguing this point for.

manysnakes

« Reply #3731 on: January 18, 2024, 03:35:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

this
[close]

[close]

[close]

I never said it would kill their budget. I also understand this is marketing. But there's a world of people out there who, for some reaso,n believe a "tax write off" means things don't co...

eh this doesn't matter at all. Im not sure what I'm arguing this point for.

prisoner223

« Reply #3732 on: January 18, 2024, 04:28:12 PM »
Some of you guys need to make a Business thread already

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #3733 on: January 18, 2024, 04:43:19 PM »
Tours are a small marketing spend for sure. 15k for a tour ain't that much if you're selling product, and it's probably closer to 5k as Jerry dogged em with only 2.5 pizzas, that woulda saved em 3k, 15 - 3 = 6 but in vibe terms it's probably more 10k i'm an economist, so they've def got their moneys worth from Joas vlogs anyway I reckon. 

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3734 on: January 18, 2024, 07:58:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm pretty sure, yes. Big fan too. Apparently they're "taking him for a test drive" and he's "probably" on. He has also been in all six of the vlogs and Sci-Fi's Instagram stories/posts lately, so I'd say chances are very good.

Anyone not that familiar with Zak Anders should check out his COW BOY solo part and the other Chase Walker videos from the past two years.
I know sci fi is growing rapidly but I wish they would also pick up Alan Bell from that crew. I noticed his ender in "O" was on a sci fi deck. But also Matt Militano should get on. Might be too much in too short of time. The team is really shaping up to be something special.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3735 on: January 18, 2024, 10:32:05 PM »

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3736 on: January 19, 2024, 12:05:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I know sci fi is growing rapidly but I wish they would also pick up Alan Bell from that crew. I noticed his ender in "O" was on a sci fi deck. But also Matt Militano should get on. Might be too much in too short of time. The team is really shaping up to be something special.

Alan Bell would be fire and well deserved.

@lurkluke I was just being grumpy after a hard day. Pretty sure, we both are not that far off from each other.

@manysnakes lol.

prisoner223

« Reply #3737 on: January 19, 2024, 01:44:50 AM »
Jerry always kills me. "I put Corey Glick on specifically for this type of situation." In saying this though I was a little let down by his signature

No Wave Comply

« Reply #3738 on: January 19, 2024, 02:35:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That would be rad; Alan Bell's part in O was so good. After first watching that video, I had a pretty convoluted daydream that Sci-Fi should just take the Late Nite Stars crew and turn it into a sister brand, but that's a huge stretch and the only connection seems to be Max Garson and Zak Anders.

lurkluke

« Reply #3739 on: January 19, 2024, 04:17:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Alan Bell would be fire and well deserved.

@lurkluke I was just being grumpy after a hard day. Pretty sure, we both are not that far off from each other.

@manysnakes lol.

all good - I was stuck on a point too.

I dunno if I was super high, or what, but the style and editing of the last one reminded me of Jerry's instagram a lot. And it really tied a lot of the Sci Fi aesthetic together for me. Not sure how much input he had into the editing but the last vlog felt different.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3374
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #3740 on: January 19, 2024, 05:43:15 PM »
Some of you guys need to make a Business thread already

There’s already a Business and Company thread that could probably use some love.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 177
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #3741 on: January 19, 2024, 08:47:20 PM »
That whole seven day series made me go out and buy a SciFi board. Had to build a complete because I haven't skated a 8.25 in seven years

8.25 is all I skated for seventeen years before that

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #3742 on: January 19, 2024, 10:07:25 PM »
would rather watch jerry bowl

nothing's been the since same

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #3743 on: January 20, 2024, 12:25:55 PM »
Anyone else notice he got rid of all his patreon stuff? Everytime i go check it the latest post is a year old now and all the recent vids are gone.

Dad Board

« Reply #3744 on: January 20, 2024, 12:32:28 PM »
Anyone else notice he got rid of all his patreon stuff? Everytime i go check it the latest post is a year old now and all the recent vids are gone.

I unsubbed because it felt abandoned for too long but just checked and I can see he’s uploaded a few things recently, basicslly VOD docs and then a skatepark review.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #3745 on: January 20, 2024, 01:57:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is this the first ever vlog of a pro team tour? Don't think i've ever really thought about the fruitless pursuit of spots and how expensive it'd be until just watching it unfold.  Jerry must be some kinda fuckin' Ramdas cunt to just be hanging, skating the spots while being cool about not getting anything, but he knows the deal I guess.  Been super fun to watch and good marketing for whatever comes of the footage but even just a pissy little trip like this would cost what, like 10k?
[close]
Thinking this could've been the first vlog of a pro team tour

[close]

Yep. I'd say that could very well be the first. Although, it seemed to be more focused on the half-baked Easy Rider fantasy than the skating.

RE: Sci-Fi's "fruitless pursuit of spots" and Jerry Hsu "being cool about not getting anything," I'm absolutely positive that they managed to get clips because they definitely aren't going to include the footage in the vlogs. But yeah, I'm sure every trip has those days where everyone comes up empty.

I caught one of the sessions just by chance while walking to the grocery store, which was really cool to see and they were getting clips!

dazza

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3746 on: January 21, 2024, 03:32:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Very cool to hear, thanks. Man I watch that Cow Boy one so much. Makes me feel something

No Wave Comply

« Reply #3747 on: January 24, 2024, 12:49:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Very cool to hear, thanks. Man I watch that Cow Boy one so much. Makes me feel something

Yeah, there's something really special about COW BOY... the footage, the music, and the editing all came together perfectly. I especially like @2:44 where there's a cut to a running horse after he lands that insane curved lipslide.

Have you watched his part (last) in Chase Walker's "◯" yet? His ender is pretty bonkers.

I also like his fits, which range from "School Shooter" and "Trench Coat Mafia" to "Motocross Reject" and "Vietnam Vet."

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3748 on: January 24, 2024, 02:22:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I unsubbed because it felt abandoned for too long but just checked and I can see he’s uploaded a few things recently, basicslly VOD docs and then a skatepark review.
All of it's still there for me?

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 173
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #3749 on: January 24, 2024, 03:41:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, there's something really special about COW BOY... the footage, the music, and the editing all came together perfectly. I especially like @2:44 where there's a cut to a running horse after he lands that insane curved lipslide.

Have you watched his part (last) in Chase Walker's "◯" yet? His ender is pretty bonkers.

I also like his fits, which range from "School Shooter" and "Trench Coat Mafia" to "Motocross Reject" and "Vietnam Vet."

just watched, great part ! But another band sampled the monologue in the beginning of the video, cannot remember what is it. It's bothering me a lot

EDIT :
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 03:49:15 PM by dallou »
check my music