Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
485 (70.6%)
Yeah I guess a bit
163 (23.7%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
12 (1.7%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 164890 times)

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
If woodshops/brands were transparent, there would be no room for rumors or stuff like that

We still have a board with wrong drilling that SHOULD not go through quality control.
how about that ?

I won't deny the know it all part on other sections of the forums but it's the wrong topic to whine about it as most people sharing information here care and usually double-check

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

I noticed from another post that Skate Mental looked like it had a BBS sticker on it.

On checking other online skate shops with good top pics, it seems that all the current boards are BBS too.

Not sure if I missed this if someone else had said it, but at least that is one more correction to the main list, as they had most recently been on Clutch, with PS Stix / China (unknown) before that for some of their boards.

Some of the shapes look like the usual BBS boards, but others seem different, even full shapes from a few of them.

Example:

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Skate_Mental_Del_Campo_Snaps_Deck/descpage-SMDCSN80DK.html

(Click for bigger image)

Original post here:

*  That filmer board is pretty cool too.

skate mental vx deck
9.25/31.38/14.25wb

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
I think the steepness of FA decks throws some stuff of for me. I got crazy pop and can skate them good. But I think specially my kickflip consistency ( normal ones , switch/ nollie, fs flips) is down and it doesn’t feel as controlled as with flatter decks.

Then again I really like the pop cause of the steepness and I like the round nose.

You think I might get used to it, or should I try something else next?
GX are steep too, right ? Quasi? Wknd?

Venture hollow lights btw

Been meaning to ask about this. Ive been riding mostly quasi and GX boards as of late, and a buddy of mine said GX decks are flat as shit (he rides habitats regularly). I havent really noticed since ive been riding the same stuff for so long, but I wanted to ask is this true? It was an 8.25 GX board, nose and tail felt pleasantly steep to me but maybe the concave going across is on the flatter side or something?

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
PS stix for the most part is flat. Every one I’ve gone on that was a Quasi or old FA or WKND or Welcome were flat shapes.

Phao Lo

• Rep: 54
Latest run of GX1000 boards appears to be on BBS wood: https://gx1000.com/collections/products/products/doom-8-375

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Latest run of GX1000 boards appears to be on BBS wood: https://gx1000.com/collections/products/products/doom-8-375

Well spotted!

If they are going with the same full shapes, these might be the same as the Alien Workshop shapes, especially with those dimensions, as per that page:

Details:
■8.375" x 32.25" WB 14.25"
■ Manufactured at BBS

I had a look through some more, not all and I see quite a few are now BBS, so I wonder if that is now all new boards, or just some with them using both woodshops.

Another good one:

https://gx1000.com/collections/boards/products/you-are-not-what-you-think-you-are-8-5

Details:
■8.5" x 32.125" WB 14.25"
■ Manufactured at BBS

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
That graphic feels quasi but lazy

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
That graphic feels quasi but lazy

I went back and changed the board from the Doom graphic to another one, but yes, some seem more minimal, which could definitely come off as lazy.

Some of those other graphics had me checking which brand they were, but others are definitely in the same vein.

Also some of the dimensions are a bit more out there too.

https://gx1000.com/collections/boards/products/copy-of-spray-paint-8-125

Details:
■8.625" x 33" WB 14.75"
■ Manufactured at BBS

https://gx1000.com/collections/boards/products/sean-greene-with-us-8-75

Details:
■8.75" x 32.625" WB 14.5"
■ Manufactured at BBS

I wonder if they are measured with the concave or straight across.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
Expand Quote
[close]

Well spotted!

If they are going with the same full shapes, these might be the same as the Alien Workshop shapes, especially with those dimensions, as per that page:

Details:
■ Manufactured at BBS

I had a look through some more, not all and I see quite a few are now BBS, so I wonder if that is now all new boards, or just some with them using both woodshops.

Another good one:

https://gx1000.com/collections/boards/products/you-are-not-what-you-think-you-are-8-5

Details:
■ Manufactured at BBS

Wow I love that graphic, it tapped into some deep nostalgia instantly.  Like a Berenstain Bear color palate?  Really sick

TwisT

• SLAP Pal

Sketch Hitchcock

Dimensions on that look really really good

8.625" x 33" WB 14.75"

Beautiful board

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Expand Quote

[close]

8.625" x 33" WB 14.75"

Beautiful board

Looks good. And that graphic is a bit something alright.  :)

Sketch Hitchcock

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

8.625" x 33" WB 14.75"

Beautiful board
[close]

Looks good. And that graphic is a bit something alright.  :)

I bought a Santa Cruz TMNT collab everslick a few years back if that gives you any insight into my weakness for the Turtles.  They’re my collab / corny reference exception, can’t resist

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

I am keen to hear if that board is actually 33 long, or if it is more like 32.5 or something similar, as per other boards that do have 14.75 wb and reasonable length kicks.

Either way, it is good for a bigger board.

Example, the DLX 8.62 x 32.56 with 14.75 wb

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
Expand Quote
I really enjoyed this Joey Pepper Politic deck, but since riding it my board favored turning in one direction HARD. I assumed it was the bushings and kept skating it. Turns out the holes were drilled over 1/4 of an inch off and at an angle. This is my first South Central deck, I've only boughten DLX decks. Is this a common issue with South Central? The shape and wood were really nice... I would have loved to skate it more, but now that I know it's the issue, I've swapped it out.

[close]

I have seen occasional boards with holes drilled incorrectly, but very few and far between.  Guessing it happens though.

That would be a valid warranty claim right there, either through the shop you bought it from or the board brand if the shop was not able to help you.

As to other things, being on a different continent, I have nothing to add but I would say places who are essentially "small business" usually have core staff and skateboard manufacturing seems like something that you can't just get any random person in to do.

A friend used to make boards well over twenty years ago and I helped a bit with that and there is no way anyone without a clue could do much of that.

As to information about woodshops, I created this thread to help with listing information more than anything, so any input is valued in that regard.  What I also understand is that Slap is a "Wild West" of a message board at times so in saying that, what is acceptable and what is not?

The drilling problems do happen.
I’m not posting this to stir shit up because the companies involved are making things right but sometimes quality control takes a day off :)

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I really enjoyed this Joey Pepper Politic deck, but since riding it my board favored turning in one direction HARD. I assumed it was the bushings and kept skating it. Turns out the holes were drilled over 1/4 of an inch off and at an angle. This is my first South Central deck, I've only boughten DLX decks. Is this a common issue with South Central? The shape and wood were really nice... I would have loved to skate it more, but now that I know it's the issue, I've swapped it out.

[close]

I have seen occasional boards with holes drilled incorrectly, but very few and far between.  Guessing it happens though.

That would be a valid warranty claim right there, either through the shop you bought it from or the board brand if the shop was not able to help you.

As to other things, being on a different continent, I have nothing to add but I would say places who are essentially "small business" usually have core staff and skateboard manufacturing seems like something that you can't just get any random person in to do.

A friend used to make boards well over twenty years ago and I helped a bit with that and there is no way anyone without a clue could do much of that.

As to information about woodshops, I created this thread to help with listing information more than anything, so any input is valued in that regard.  What I also understand is that Slap is a "Wild West" of a message board at times so in saying that, what is acceptable and what is not?
[close]

The drilling problems do happen.
I’m not posting this to stir shit up because the companies involved are making things right but sometimes quality control takes a day off :)

I have a H Street Hensley "King Size"  reissue that is also off.  It was in a used board lot from someone recently, but it was only after setting it up did I feel the pull to one side, then when checked sure enough the front bolts were on a bit of an angle.

Given how many millions of decks come out correct as they should, maybe it is of little importance, but as you said (and I said) the warranty process takes care of all that easily enough anyway.

It is weird too as some places drill the holes at the same time, so I don't quite see how it can get messed up.

Just an observation from a pic, with caption:

"Truckholes are drilled simutanously for accuracy"

http://www.skateboardmfg.com/factorytour6.html

Or this one:

https://www.autodrill.com/industries/skateboards/

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
[close]

Well spotted!

Details:
■ Manufactured at BBS

Another good one:

Details:
■ Manufactured at BBS

I know Quasi has been dipping their toes into bbs but I hope they follow GX's suit and make all their boards there. My current PS Quasi is a poor excuse for a deck and it really blows my mind they sold it for 65 bucks.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
I’m so happy more and more brands are leaving PS stix. What a terrible woodshop.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
I’m so happy more and more brands are leaving PS stix. What a terrible woodshop.

The thing is back in the day, they made amazing boards.

I have had so many Black Label and other brand PS Stix boards (admittedly USA made going back to around the 2000 era) that were so stiff, solid and well made, quite a few of which I still have today and they really are such long lasting decks.  There are still some set up as completes now, especially in the bigger sizes that are so good to ride, so at one point, I would have said that they were pretty much at the top of the woodshop list in that regard.

The dozen or so boards that have come from PS Stix that have passed through my hands in the last few years (most made before covid) have also been good, solid and well made boards, so I wonder if it is more so just after covid production or other issues that have caused the drop in quality, or similar things.

A new one I stood on the other day did look and feel as usual, good and stiff, no issues with the manufacturing or shape, so I am also wondering where it fits in to the timeline, but I assume it was made more recently.

That said, there have also been a lot of people not so happy with other boards from different woodshops, post covid, so there seemed like there could have been rushed construction / curing times, which then led to quality control issues and other things, including from BBS, so it can't just be put down to one single woodshop having issues.

Whatever the case, it is a curious one and something not limited to just one woodshop, but the mass exodus of established brands from any given woodshop is also an indication of issue going on and trouble for them.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
Expand Quote
[close]

I have had so many Black Label and other brand PS Stix boards (admittedly USA made going back to around the 2000 era) that were so stiff, solid and well made, quite a few of which I still have today and they really are such long lasting decks.  There are still some set up as completes now, especially in the bigger sizes that are so good to ride, so at one point, I would have said that they were pretty much at the top of the woodshop list in that regard.

The dozen or so boards that have come from PS Stix that have passed through my hands in the last few years (most made before covid) have also been good, solid and well made boards, so I wonder if it is more so just after covid production or other issues that have caused the drop in quality, or similar things.

A new one I stood on the other day did look and feel as usual, good and stiff, no issues with the manufacturing or shape, so I am also wondering where it fits in to the timeline, but I assume it was made more recently.

That said, there have also been a lot of people not so happy with other boards from different woodshops, post covid, so there seemed like there could have been rushed construction / curing times, which then led to quality control issues and other things, including from BBS, so it can't just be put down to one single woodshop having issues.

Whatever the case, it is a curious one and something not limited to just one woodshop, but the mass exodus of established brands from any given woodshop is also an indication of issue going on and trouble for them.

I always felt like a new PS deck felt the best out of any other woodshop, but they wear out and get soggy so quickly.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Re "Holes drilled incorrectly issue" + 1 (from the Egg shaped boards thread)

It can happen to anyone, from any woodshop, this one a Primitive board from BBS woodshop.

just set up the 2nd of my Villani eggs from the 2fer deal and immediately noticed that something seemed off. Got out my tape measure and confirmed that the front truck holes are drilled 1/8" off-center. Gonna take it out for a spin tonight to see if i can notice it, but i feel like it's going to be a thing of mind-over-matter and will always bother me. I wonder if it's because of the extreme taper which causes the inconsistency in QC? I didn't notice this on the other deck but now i'll have to go double-check that one. It's slightly noticeable here in the photo, much more apparent IRL

It's definitely BBS/Mexico. I actually wound up having a fantastic session on it, and now that it's worn in a bit it seems less noticeable. I don't often venture into the woodshop thread except to check out a new brand, so I'm not familiar with the specific discussion on this there, but feel free to share.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I always felt like a new PS deck felt the best out of any other woodshop, but they wear out and get soggy so quickly.

I can't confidently say when was the last time I rode a PSStix deck, I think It was a Welcome back when they were on PS. Their current rep decline actually makes me MORE interested

BrknBrds

• Rep: 16
Talked to Nick via email the other day from Scumco and he mentioned the decks are now from Controle Canada Pressing.

Anyone have info on these guys? What is the concave and kicks and durability like?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Talked to Nick via email the other day from Scumco and he mentioned the decks are now from Control Canada Pressing.

Anyone have info on these guys? What is the concave and kicks and durability like?

They seem like good durable and medium concave decks from all accounts, certainly the ones I have seen.

Link to first page here with pics:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.msg3729112#msg3729112

Control (est 1995)
Canada
http://www.controlmfg.com/
https://www.instagram.com/controlmfg/

billy_the_boarder

• Rep: 2

[/quote]

I rode a Quasi PS deck in Spring and I thought was amazing but it snapped so fast I didn't even get to wear it out. Rode a GX1000 PS deck this past month and while it didn't snap, it was astonishing how fast it was worn to a dud. Probably going to be avoiding PS for a while.

On a related note, curious about how the GX1000 BBS decks are. The PS deck I had from them was stupid flat. No concave - it was not for me. But I love those graphics and I'm a sucker to marketing (the Pablo vid was so sick) so I'd be excited to hear if the BBS GX decks have more concave.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577

I rode a Quasi PS deck in Spring and I thought was amazing but it snapped so fast I didn't even get to wear it out. Rode a GX1000 PS deck this past month and while it didn't snap, it was astonishing how fast it was worn to a dud. Probably going to be avoiding PS for a while.

On a related note, curious about how the GX1000 BBS decks are. The PS deck I had from them was stupid flat. No concave - it was not for me. But I love those graphics and I'm a sucker to marketing (the Pablo vid was so sick) so I'd be excited to hear if the BBS GX decks have more concave.
[/quote]

I have a PS GX deck setup now (from an old drop I got on sale). As expected, first session on it was amazing, but if it's anything like the PS Habitat and FA decks I had before, it'll probably let go within a couple weeks. Mine has melllow-medium concave. I didn't know GX moved to BBS. Anyone know when they made the switch?

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
Expand Quote

[close]

I have a PS GX deck setup now (from an old drop I got on sale). As expected, first session on it was amazing, but if it's anything like the PS Habitat and FA decks I had before, it'll probably let go within a couple weeks. Mine has melllow-medium concave. I didn't know GX moved to BBS. Anyone know when they made the switch?
[/quote]

I believe it just started with the most recent drop

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Yes, only from a week or so ago, as per the post earlier on this page (below).

Was able to check some other places which had the new BBS boards in but still had a lot of the older PS Stix decks too.

Unsure of the future drops, whether or not they are all BBS from now on or some from each woodshop.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I would be stoked to get more images like this of ALL the different woodshops, not just one or two in particular, so if anyone else has some good pics of other woodshops, please post here as well.

From another thread, but excellent pics of the top, bottom and close ups of kicks.

Thank you Murge!

*  Click on the pics for the big image / open in new screen.

I couldn’t get a photo of the kicks and concave cause the clear wrap kinda made them hard to see. But let me know if you want a certain pic or anything.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
What wood shop does H-Street use?