Author Topic: Owen Wilson's cameo in Yeah Right! can't be duplicated  (Read 4809 times)

Your Cousin Marvin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -144
  • Having my poasts moderated makes me sad
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Owen Wilson's cameo in Yeah Right! can't be duplicated
« on: March 25, 2022, 10:38:31 AM »
Is he just a better actor than Jack Black and GOB ? Am I just remembering it different because i'm old and don't like newish things?
1:1 Ratio

snowballz

• Rep: -12
Re: Owen Wilson's cameo in Yeah Right! can't be duplicated
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 11:49:00 AM »
You're 100% right. The Owen cameo was so organic in how it came to be. While I like Will Arnett and Jack Black better as actors, their cameos felt hella forced.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 11:56:25 AM »
Is he just a better actor than Jack Black and GOB ? Am I just remembering it different because i'm old and don't like newish things?

I was convinced he knew what he was talking about. I figured the trick part was fake, but that he was into skateboarding (like Jonah Hill).

When I go back and watch it now knowing the entire backstory, I'm still impressed. The dude must have an amazing mind for memorizing lines.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 12:33:16 PM »
i honestly believed it when i saw it as a kid. i didn't really pay attention to the names of the tricks, i was just so caught up in the idea that owen wilson skated and was friends with the girl team

goldenbullcow

• Rep: -406
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 12:35:31 PM »
I think it's as simple as Owen is talented and funny and Jack is not.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 12:41:01 PM »
I think it's as simple as Owen is talented and funny and Jack is not.

I don't really think that's fair. He has a lot of range when he doesn't play his character actor self, like in Bernie for instance, he knocked it out of the park.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 12:49:23 PM »
I feel like Jack Black is playing Jack Black in a lot of his roles so seeing him do that in the context of a skateboarding video isn't too impressive.

Owen Wilson played the role of a skater and he got it right.

Arnett just played like a shit talking non-skating role so what most slap posters are accused of being. It didn't carry as much weight without the skating and was a weak jab at us supposed spectators.

milk.razor

• Rep: 11
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 12:50:50 PM »
i honestly believed it when i saw it as a kid. i didn't really pay attention to the names of the tricks, i was just so caught up in the idea that owen wilson skated and was friends with the girl team

Same until some old head on the aol skateboarding chat room to ruined it for me.
Though watching it again, I’m having a mandela effect about there being music during his tricks.. guess not
No fun allowed. Also get your phone out and film this for my insta edit. Also don’t breath too loud. Bitch.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 01:04:21 PM »
Ty and Spike wrote a little dialogue for him and emailed it to him, and he was pretty baffled by all the lingo and stuff he had to say, so they explained it to him and I guess he prepped for the "role."

He did really well. I was impressed that Koston was able to switch outfits that quickly. Plus the jazz push and the sudden toe drag after the noseblunt to slow down was always funny. There's a lot of little funny moments from that skit, like how he says Spanky bluntslid that rail in TIS, but he actually did a front feeble down it. Or Carroll's casual indifferent behaviour.

Dusty

• Rep: -4
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 01:08:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same until some old head on the aol skateboarding chat room to ruined it for me.
Though watching it again, I’m having a mandela effect about there being music during his tricks.. guess not

Terminator X to the Edge of Panic plays during his tricks on my copy

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2022, 01:27:42 PM »
Should get a Luke Wilson remix

milk.razor

• Rep: 11
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2022, 01:28:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Terminator X to the Edge of Panic plays during his tricks on my copy

Okay that sounds right. The clip on youtube mustve had it removed. I also broke my original copy and remember being so bummed that the newer version had a different soundtrack
No fun allowed. Also get your phone out and film this for my insta edit. Also don’t breath too loud. Bitch.

Southernmost

• Rep: 116
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2022, 10:10:29 PM »
Hats of to Gino.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2022, 04:27:49 AM »
I re-watched 411 #52 multiple times, zero Owen Wilson footage. The man is a liar.

I like the un-cut version, you can see the entire team struggling not to laugh during the skit:
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2022, 05:08:13 AM »
Shrimp Blunt having Aquaman was also a good one.

Lucky_Basek

• Rep: 55
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2022, 03:55:01 PM »
birdhouse tried to copy the idea before almost every part in Saturdays and it was contrived and irritating.
Owen will never be beaten.
Having said that, Arnette was funny in PS. Especially when he tells Olsen that he should do some tricks that someone under 30 would appreciate :D :D :D

matta

• Rep: 26
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2022, 04:40:29 PM »
Johnny Rotten in Sorry was great

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2022, 05:39:00 PM »
I re-watched 411 #52 multiple times, zero Owen Wilson footage. The man is a liar.

I like the un-cut version, you can see the entire team struggling not to laugh during the skit:

Still a great skit!

It was super obvious to me he didn't do the trick, but I always thought he actually knew what he was talking about because he was rocking a lot of skate gear back then.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2022, 08:10:16 PM »
I’m just glad it wasn’t Will Ferrell in any of the skits.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2022, 08:23:33 PM »
Not even saying it's good but another comedian cameo in a skate video (altho a few obvious reasons this one's not often brought up)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2022, 08:25:54 PM »
Owen Wilson worked because it was the first one.   Then Ty and Spike thought they had to keep throwing actors in there (as if anyone gave a shit one way or the other) to parrot Spike lines.   They just let JB riff as a filmer and Will Arnett was funny just making fun of them in the van, but there wasn’t really any objective behind it.   

Just remember Spike was as responsible for Crail Films excesses as Ty was, perhaps even more so because the buck stopped with him. 

HatRemovalService

• Rep: -35
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2022, 11:05:27 AM »
It was a simpler time I think, as a kid I remember thinking that shit was real for awhile haha, now it would seem so obvious unless you actually saw the actor doing tricks, but I didn’t even connect that fact he went outta frame for a second when I first saw it. That shit had some mystique to it

CheeseSteak

• Rep: -2
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2022, 01:21:20 PM »
Pardon me as I point out the obvious. The film was called Yeah Right and I still watched that clip thinking Owen Wilson skated. What a time to be alive!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2022, 01:32:20 PM »
Pardon me as I point out the obvious. The film was called Yeah Right and I still watched that clip thinking Owen Wilson skated. What a time to be alive!

Hmm never considered that along with the keyed out ramps

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2022, 04:42:08 PM »
I’m just glad it wasn’t Will Ferrell in any of the skits.

You wash your mouth out!
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2022, 05:56:43 PM »

He did really well. I was impressed that Koston was able to switch outfits that quickly. Plus the jazz push and the sudden toe drag after the noseblunt to slow down was always funny.

Koston has spent his career hauling around that same tired schtick, but by god if a broken clock isn't funny at least once in its life.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2022, 11:07:25 PM »
Expand Quote

He did really well. I was impressed that Koston was able to switch outfits that quickly. Plus the jazz push and the sudden toe drag after the noseblunt to slow down was always funny.
[close]

Koston has spent his career hauling around that same tired schtick, but by god if a broken clock isn't funny at least once in its life.

Man had a rich decade plus career before being goofy and then he still had a good ten years after that.   

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2022, 09:58:50 AM »
Owen Wilson worked because it was the first one.   Then Ty and Spike thought they had to keep throwing actors in there (as if anyone gave a shit one way or the other) to parrot Spike lines.   They just let JB riff as a filmer and Will Arnett was funny just making fun of them in the van, but there wasn’t really any objective behind it.   

Just remember Spike was as responsible for Crail Films excesses as Ty was, perhaps even more so because the buck stopped with him.

It was probably the first real cameo but that Rodney Mullen part at the Hollywood stars where he almost runs into Jack Nicholson has always stuck out to me. Probably the most famous person to be in someone’s part whether he knew it or not.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2022, 11:00:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It was probably the first real cameo but that Rodney Mullen part at the Hollywood stars where he almost runs into Jack Nicholson has always stuck out to me. Probably the most famous person to be in someone’s part whether he knew it or not.

What's this ?

Dusty

• Rep: -4
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2022, 11:04:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What's this ?

2:58