Author Topic: Cult of the Huffer  (Read 46505 times)

DeepSpace9mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 100
Re: Cult of the Huffer
« Reply #540 on: February 08, 2023, 07:37:58 AM »
Expand Quote
What trucks and wheel size would the Huffer heads of this thread choose to use on a Huffer with a “I” stamp (super mellow everything)?

I had “I” stamp Huffer, flat, and it felt weird with 53mm wheels and Aces. 58mm + 1/8” risers felt the best but was not without drawbacks.

It’s a fun deck. Next time around I might try a different combo of trucks/wheels. Just curious what everyone’s ideal Huffer setup looks like, I guess.
[close]

The Is are the steep ones, no? IVs would be the mellow ones (bottom of the stack).

They are , yeah I meant “IV” and accidentally typed “I” because tired. Ooops.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 894
« Reply #541 on: February 08, 2023, 08:44:10 AM »
Personally I like the mellowest Huffer possible also but I won't change my setup accordingly.

I'll set mine up with pretty much any wheel size. You can take advantage of the long wheelbase and put on some 58s or 60s fo crusty bowl carnage. Or re-live the early 90s and set one up with some Lil Smokies. If I am being really insane with my equipment... a mellower concave would be on my tiny wheel 90s inspired Huffer and the steeper concave would be on my big wheeled transition Huffer.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 261
« Reply #542 on: February 08, 2023, 08:53:31 AM »
I'll set mine up with pretty much any wheel size. You can take advantage of the long wheelbase and put on some 58s or 60s fo crusty bowl carnage. Or re-live the early 90s and set one up with some Lil Smokies.

This really is my favorite thing about the Huffer.

Landmine

• Rep: 185
« Reply #543 on: February 11, 2023, 08:58:08 AM »
Cross post from the set up thread

Huffer with 8.75" Slappy trucks and 54mm 97a F4s

Finally pulled the Huffer out of the stack and set it up with some new trucks.  Should have some free time to actually skate it tomorrow.

Jacob DeGrosso

• Rep: 16
« Reply #544 on: February 11, 2023, 02:09:16 PM »
I'd eat sushi off that.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #545 on: February 11, 2023, 09:06:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Finally pulled the Huffer out of the stack and set it up with some new trucks.  Should have some free time to actually skate it tomorrow.

Clean! what's the hanger width on the Slappy's?

My local is reserving some Stage 4 151s and 166s for me on SSD, until I can decide which ones are better for the Huffer. I'm leaving toward the 151s.

Landmine

• Rep: 185
« Reply #546 on: February 11, 2023, 09:19:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Clean! what's the hanger width on the Slappy's?

My local is reserving some Stage 4 151s and 166s for me on SSD, until I can decide which ones are better for the Huffer. I'm leaving toward the 151s.

No idea where my vernier calipers are, but Tactics says 154.9. Dunno how accurate that is being from Tactics and all.

pops

• SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #547 on: February 12, 2023, 11:15:05 AM »
I found that I enjoy Huffer more with mid-wide wheels like Conical Regs or Og Classics. Fulls were way too chuncky for my taste.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #548 on: February 18, 2023, 10:42:33 AM »
Quick Huffer update. 151s could be a good new truck option. 8 5/8" Axle, so maybe a little magic carpet but will shorten the wheelbase nicely. (I think the 166s might be tad too wide for my taste).

If you can handle  mid 80s style trucks on an early 90s style deck...

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #549 on: February 18, 2023, 02:21:00 PM »
Quick Huffer update. 151s could be a good new truck option. 8 5/8" Axle, so maybe a little magic carpet but will shorten the wheelbase nicely. (I think the 166s might be tad too wide for my taste).

whats the truck to truck wheelbase on this?
swore 151s extend things
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #550 on: February 18, 2023, 02:43:40 PM »
Stage 4 151s not Thunder 151s. Center of axle to center of axle is is 17.5".

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1385
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #551 on: February 18, 2023, 03:41:27 PM »
Stage 4 151s not Thunder 151s. Center of axle to center of axle is is 17.5".
Interesting. So they do pull the wb in like an Ace as well. I'm out of the loop and need to hit up the Indy thread I guess.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #552 on: February 22, 2023, 12:42:51 PM »

Madness triggered by this one. Resisting the urge to try it out in spite of all my other trucks and my stack of popsicles.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1202
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #553 on: February 22, 2023, 12:44:33 PM »
I haven't seen the Grimple Huffer anywhere. Has anyone else seen it in their locals?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #554 on: February 22, 2023, 12:53:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Madness triggered by this one. Resisting the urge to try it out in spite of all my other trucks and my stack of popsicles.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Yes, the turn is insane but almost too much. (If you want a tight truck that turns good these could be it)  The grind is vey good, of course.  The bushings firm up like crazy. This tames the turn a little, obviously but I'd rather a truck that comes with good stock bushings (Ace and Thunder for me) Also, kingpin clearance is limited  and these are heavy trucks (personally weight doesn't bother me).

Honestly, Ace AF1 60s are better. All to say, unless you are super curious to feel that retro Indy turn, just stick to what works for you already. I would choose these over Stage 11 159s though. 

Keep on Huffin'

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #555 on: February 22, 2023, 01:05:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I wouldn't sweat it.

Yes, the turn is insane but almost too much. (If you want a tight truck that turns good these could be it)  The grind is vey good, of course.  The bushings firm up like crazy. This tames the turn a little, obviously but I'd rather a truck that comes with good stock bushings (Ace and Thunder for me) Also, kingpin clearance is limited  and these are heavy trucks (personally weight doesn't bother me).

Honestly, Ace AF1 60s are better. All to say, unless you are super curious to feel that retro Indy turn, just stick to what works for you already. I would choose these over Stage 11 159s though. 

Keep on Huffin'

Honestly, makes me want to try them more! The AF1s are way too unruly for me with the soft pivot cups, but I love something that pushes the WB and is a little heavier (find it helps with my no complies). These could be a contender.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #556 on: February 22, 2023, 01:06:27 PM »
well, you know the answer then. i'll be keeping these on this Huffer to give them a solid break in and then they are going on a reissue Natas I have for the heck of it. My Huffers will then be strictly Ace and Thunder.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #557 on: February 22, 2023, 01:09:09 PM »
I haven't seen the Grimple Huffer anywhere. Has anyone else seen it in their locals?

Embark in Maryland had one on Saturday. I’d already picked one up so I grabbed a Heroin symmetrical egg instead.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #558 on: February 22, 2023, 01:20:41 PM »
Looks like the Grimple Huffer has been selling out pretty quick, which is great since we campaigned for it. perhaps the cult with have future clout... (ahem... Huffer slick...)

The next Huffer that appears to be dropping is in Summer Drop 1. Pretty sick looking two board 'mini-series' with a Cardiel Huffer and Kanfoush 8.38"

Looks like Dennis McNett aka Wolfbat's art.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #559 on: March 01, 2023, 01:19:36 PM »
Which trucks work good with the huffer?

I’d like to try it out and see if it’s for me.
I skate mostly small transitions and mini ramp, and I’m trying to get into street/park. I’m bad at both.

I have Indy forged 159s and cast hollow 169 on hand.
Should I try out if ventures or thunders are for me?
Currently I’m on the 9” Orange Eagle, but it’s a boat, and way long.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #560 on: March 01, 2023, 01:41:44 PM »

I skate mostly small transitions and mini ramp, and I’m trying to get into street/park. I’m bad at both.

It has been said many times, but one of the nicest things about the Huffer is that you can run anything from an 8.5" to a 9" truck. My favorite are Indy 149s, but I've had a nice time on 159s.

If you're struggling with he length of the orange eagle, I wouldn't recommend going with Thunder or Venture because they'll push the WB out.

For me, and this is just me, I would put the cast hollow plates on the 159 hangars. I love cast hollows, and 159s fit really well on the Huffer. 169s might be good, but they're too wide for me.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #561 on: March 01, 2023, 01:56:22 PM »

I had 6.1s on my Huffer once upon a time, but I didn’t like it very much. 14.75 is a long wheelbase for me, and making it as long as possible with Ventures, I just couldn’t figure it out.

Ended up going back to AF1s, but I went with the 60 Lows (they had just come out), the hard bushings (just barely tightened/still loose), and popped the 101A Lil’ Smokies on there, and that’s when l fell in love with the thing.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #562 on: March 01, 2023, 02:00:13 PM »
Lots of info and preferences on trucks back in this thread but my current order of preference on the Huffer:

Af1 60s
Ace Classic 55s
Indy stage 4 151
Af1 66s
Thunder 151
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 08:32:34 AM by Frank and Fred »

bombsaway86

• Rep: 177
« Reply #563 on: March 01, 2023, 07:50:56 PM »

159s seem to be the preference here, especially if you’re going to also be skating street. I like running 169s on it, but it does hot rod just a tiny bit. Either one works though and you won’t notice much of a difference. If you’re mostly skating small transition, you’re going to love the Huffer. It’s a great shape for pools/bowls

pops

• SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #564 on: March 01, 2023, 11:31:52 PM »
Ace classic 55s are very nice on Huffer. I didn't like Af1 66s too much but would like to try the 60s.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #565 on: March 02, 2023, 06:37:37 AM »
I love Indy 159s on my Huffer. Perfect amount of truck for me.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #566 on: March 02, 2023, 07:56:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It has been said many times, but one of the nicest things about the Huffer is that you can run anything from an 8.5" to a 9" truck. My favorite are Indy 149s, but I've had a nice time on 159s.

If you're struggling with he length of the orange eagle, I wouldn't recommend going with Thunder or Venture because they'll push the WB out.

For me, and this is just me, I would put the cast hollow plates on the 159 hangars. I love cast hollows, and 159s fit really well on the Huffer. 169s might be good, but they're too wide for me.

For me the WB on the eagle is fine. As i understand I get a total WB of 18”, and Cast venture 5.8 would also net the same WB on a 14.75”, but total length would be shrunk by almost 0.75”

Good call on swapping the plates.
Actually, I can free up another cast plate, if I can’t swap kingpins on my 139 lows, and the cast. Bonus here will be my lows will get even lower.

That way I can keep my eagle, and setup a huffer or a Krooked/antihero/DLX/BBS 8.625 on 159.

cast or hollow, and what wheel size?
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #567 on: March 02, 2023, 08:01:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

For me the WB on the eagle is fine. As i understand I get a total WB of 18”, and Cast venture 5.8 would also net the same WB on a 14.75”, but total length would be shrunk by almost 0.75”

Good call on swapping the plates.
Actually, I can free up another cast plate, if I can’t swap kingpins on my 139 lows, and the cast. Bonus here will be my lows will get even lower.

That way I can keep my eagle, and setup a huffer or a Krooked/antihero/DLX/BBS 8.625 on 159.

Expand Quote
[close]
cast or hollow, and what wheel size?

Standard 159s with 52mm Spitfire Classics for decent surfaces and some 56mm Snot Snellings for the crust.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #568 on: March 06, 2023, 10:44:35 AM »
Maybe I shouldn't share this but it wasn't hard to find... Summer Drop. Reminds me of Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Will def pick this up.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1202
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #569 on: March 06, 2023, 11:44:51 AM »
Maybe I shouldn't share this but it wasn't hard to find... Summer Drop. Reminds me of Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Will def pick this up.

Fuuck. that's nearly as good as the grimple huffer graphic....