Author Topic: Omaha  (Read 1241 times)

Crailslideyoface

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 37
Omaha
« on: May 07, 2022, 05:15:24 PM »
Gonna do a day trip up from KC this summer with my wife. Was wondering if any slap pals know of any hidden gems to eat, see and skate?
Getting cucked by your hero on acid is TIGHT.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Omaha
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 09:27:13 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/20thstreetdiy/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/donuthill/?hl=en

Areas to check out would be Benson or Blackstone/Midtown. Lots of restaurants and bars in both neighborhoods. La Buvette though, is definitely a spot you should check out for a date with your wife.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 07:19:22 AM »
go to conor oberst's bar and saddle creek records

Crailslideyoface

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 12:19:15 PM »
go to conor oberst's bar and saddle creek records
Definitely got both of those on the list. Finding out about Pageturners is what gave me the idea to go haha

Crailslideyoface

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 10:20:08 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/20thstreetdiy/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/donuthill/?hl=en

Areas to check out would be Benson or Blackstone/Midtown. Lots of restaurants and bars in both neighborhoods. La Buvette though, is definitely a spot you should check out for a date with your wife.
Spots look sick! Are you a local? I feel like I owe ya your choice of beverage for the info

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 03:16:21 PM »
We moved up here a year ago from Lincoln, because I both work and go to school full time up here. The commute was getting a bit old.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 08:55:13 PM »
I'll be down that way in like two months.  Going to a show at the Waiting Room, I'll definitely hit up that DIY.  I'd be down to meet up if you fancy that.

Crailslideyoface

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 03:09:37 AM »
I'll be down that way in like two months.  Going to a show at the Waiting Room, I'll definitely hit up that DIY.  I'd be down to meet up if you fancy that.
Not sure when we'll be up there yet since our work schedules are kinda hectic and I've been sidelined from skating with some back issues. What show ya going to? Can try and plan a trip up if we're free and I'm feeling good by then

Crailslideyoface

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 03:22:17 AM »
We moved up here a year ago from Lincoln, because I both work and go to school full time up here. The commute was getting a bit old.
Always wanted to go there too and skate The Bay. Spent too much time locked in our TF this winter and definitely wanna venture out to other indoor parks when it gets cold again

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 06:26:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Not sure when we'll be up there yet since our work schedules are kinda hectic and I've been sidelined from skating with some back issues. What show ya going to? Can try and plan a trip up if we're free and I'm feeling good by then

Drive-by Truckers at some outdoor venue.  I was gonna try to hit Built to Spill this coming week, but I don't think I can swing that.  July 19th is the DBT show, I'll probably try to stay for a few days.  This is my current plan, if I end up switching jobs I might have to bail on it though.

I've gone to Omaha a handful of times, but never stayed overnight or really skated down there at all.  I usually peruse Uptown Market(I think that's what it's called) and hit up the beercade to play pinball.  I've been wanting to get down to KC too since I haven't been there since I was a kid.  That trip might have to wait till next year though.

Crailslideyoface

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 05:17:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Drive-by Truckers at some outdoor venue.  I was gonna try to hit Built to Spill this coming week, but I don't think I can swing that.  July 19th is the DBT show, I'll probably try to stay for a few days.  This is my current plan, if I end up switching jobs I might have to bail on it though.

I've gone to Omaha a handful of times, but never stayed overnight or really skated down there at all.  I usually peruse Uptown Market(I think that's what it's called) and hit up the beercade to play pinball.  I've been wanting to get down to KC too since I haven't been there since I was a kid.  That trip might have to wait till next year though.
KC is better than ever. Come through!

adumb

• Rep: -5
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2022, 09:37:47 AM »
Eat:
Goldberg's
Barret's
Dundee Dell
Meatball
Jimmy D's
any of the old Italian family steakhouses are fire

Drink/Party:
O'Leaver's is a cool divey spot, good patio out back.
Downtown for club vibe and backwards white hat scene. You can find coke down there prolly.
The Blackstone neighborhood is cool.
Benson is my favorite area. Tons of good bars/retsaurants/shops.

Central Skateshop just opened in Benson. Go check them out.

Crailslideyoface

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 08:53:54 PM »
Eat:
Goldberg's
Barret's
Dundee Dell
Meatball
Jimmy D's
any of the old Italian family steakhouses are fire

Drink/Party:
O'Leaver's is a cool divey spot, good patio out back.
Downtown for club vibe and backwards white hat scene. You can find coke down there prolly.
The Blackstone neighborhood is cool.
Benson is my favorite area. Tons of good bars/retsaurants/shops.

Central Skateshop just opened in Benson. Go check them out.
So basically stay far away from the downtown scene? Haha

adumb

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 08:28:01 AM »

So basically stay far away from the downtown scene? Haha
[/quote]

As far as nightlife goes, You probably don't want to be down there much. There are some good restaurants and cool shops in the Old Market though, but as soon as the sun sets, get the hell outta there man!!!!

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2022, 01:13:37 AM »
I was just down there two weeks ago.  I had an excellent carne asada burrito at Taqueria Tijuana.  It's pretty close to Lynch park.

Also, the tranny section there was kinda fun, but Seymour Smith park is probably the worst designed park I have ever seen in my life.  No easy task coming from someone who grew up in the plains.  I was laughing in the car driving away at how hilariously terrible the design was.

For record stores and shit I usually stop at Homer's, but was tryna conserve money this time.

adumb

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2022, 11:31:57 AM »
I was just down there two weeks ago.  I had an excellent carne asada burrito at Taqueria Tijuana.  It's pretty close to Lynch park.

Also, the tranny section there was kinda fun, but Seymour Smith park is probably the worst designed park I have ever seen in my life.  No easy task coming from someone who grew up in the plains.  I was laughing in the car driving away at how hilariously terrible the design was.

For record stores and shit I usually stop at Homer's, but was tryna conserve money this time.

Seymour Smith is so bad I always forget it even exists.

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2022, 02:39:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ya, I had some time to kill and was pretty beat from skating Lynch and Roberts that I stopped there to play a quick round of disc golf at Seymour.  Shredding that park was just a bonus.

Idk if you've ever skated that janky park in Sioux City, IA, but I'm guessing Seymour, Roberts and the Sioux City park were all built by the same shitty construction company.  I've been to Omaha probably a dozen times for shows and shit, but never bothered to skate the public parks since the pictures made them look so unappealing.  I think they're even shittier in person.  Lynch park was fun as fuck though and I commend the locals for their work on that.

Crailslideyoface

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2022, 06:48:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ya, I had some time to kill and was pretty beat from skating Lynch and Roberts that I stopped there to play a quick round of disc golf at Seymour.  Shredding that park was just a bonus.

Idk if you've ever skated that janky park in Sioux City, IA, but I'm guessing Seymour, Roberts and the Sioux City park were all built by the same shitty construction company.  I've been to Omaha probably a dozen times for shows and shit, but never bothered to skate the public parks since the pictures made them look so unappealing.  I think they're even shittier in person.  Lynch park was fun as fuck though and I commend the locals for their work on that.
I’m not gonna lie, Seymour looks like it might be kinda fun. I’m 110% sure I’m gonna regret that statement when I actually get up there though

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2023, 09:53:53 PM »
I hit up the diy at Lynch tonight, it was great, good looking out @brycickle

late night Mexican food at Abelardo's on 84th st, nothin fancy but the chile rellenos was on point and they are open late on a sunday night. Thanks Omaha!

zapruder

• Rep: 11
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2023, 06:22:28 AM »
Abelardo's is absolutely the late night move! would highly recommend Tixteco next time you're out there, just a few blocks from Lynch

I've spent the last few years doing a bunch of film trips to Omaha, just uploaded that section from my new vid 'Great Northern.' ended up becoming good friends with everyone in this section; such an amazingly welcoming skate scene!

https://youtu.be/Fn8rjRU0QJY

adumb

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2023, 03:04:04 PM »
Love seeing my high school in skate movies!

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2023, 02:08:23 PM »
Abelardo's is absolutely the late night move! would highly recommend Tixteco next time you're out there, just a few blocks from Lynch

I've spent the last few years doing a bunch of film trips to Omaha, just uploaded that section from my new vid 'Great Northern.' ended up becoming good friends with everyone in this section; such an amazingly welcoming skate scene!

https://youtu.be/Fn8rjRU0QJY

really good filming!