Author Topic: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)  (Read 35411 times)

IpathCats

Re: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)
« Reply #150 on: July 12, 2022, 07:38:56 AM »
use 496132 for 15% off your order. one time use. cheers boys.

you son of a bitch. making me want to snag another and keep it on ice. never come to the shoes and gear section if you're trying to save money.

thanks though <3

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #151 on: July 12, 2022, 11:56:56 AM »
anyone on here run super juice minis instead of rough riders? Considering it due to the asymmetrical shape of the former, thinking there might be less truck bite.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in they thread so far, been a real treasure trove.

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2022, 12:37:28 PM »
anyone on here run super juice minis instead of rough riders? Considering it due to the asymmetrical shape of the former, thinking there might be less truck bite.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in they thread so far, been a real treasure trove.
I am. 3 washers inside or you get hanger bite. Basically the same as the rough riders.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2022, 12:40:07 PM »
Gotcha, thanks!

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2022, 06:41:58 PM »
No problem.
Finally got around to mounting the trucks.

Still need to spin down some bushing and dig through my grip scraps. We’ve got a date for Friday night.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2022, 08:09:34 PM »
Any of y’all have big feet?  I wear US 13’s, just wondering if I’m dreaming thinking I’d fit on a 6 inch board?

Also is there a big difference in your minds in terms of the experience riding a homebrew polarizer made from an old board vs the Neil made models?

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #156 on: July 14, 2022, 04:22:28 AM »
Any of y’all have big feet?  I wear US 13’s, just wondering if I’m dreaming thinking I’d fit on a 6 inch board?

Also is there a big difference in your minds in terms of the experience riding a homebrew polarizer made from an old board vs the Neil made models?

i rock a 13 footpad as well.

Your arches will feel some change, as you will probably  start riding like a "normal skateboard." But your feet will move naturally to a more comfortable position. When I just cruise down the street, my front foot tends to start pointing to about 1 to 2 o'clock and the back foot keeps to about 3 o'clock. When I'm skating a park, the feet tend to back to "normal" but with a little variation.

You can totally ride one, it's just a matter of re-adjusting from your muscle memory of more traditional boards. Your feet will adjust, and it will be rad.

Heated Wheel boards are really about the shape to me, at the end of the day. The board shape as of now is based  upon the Dale Velzy/Hap Jacobs "Pig" model surfboard. The most striking feature is the the wide point is behind the middle of the board, just like a Pig. Your front foot will be on the thinnest part of the board, and the widest point will be under your back foot. That will take a little getting used to as well.

There is also the point of board manufacture and how much concave/convex is on the deck. That will be a mitigating factor on board feel on the Heated Wheel board.

A homebrew board, you can make however you damn want. Pick a mellow concave, a deep concave, whatever shape, etc. Just try to aim for a larger wheelbase and turn that board upside down, and you'll get a groove going on.

If you've never done it, do it. I've literally just rode Polarizers since January, eschewing my other boards, and for good reason. It's the feeling I've been trying to replicate for years with Zip Zingers and other cruisers. It's new, but old. It's the heart of the thing we love.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 05:10:26 AM by George Vallore »

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2022, 11:11:23 AM »
I guess now is as good a time as any to ask the age-old question:

Anyone got a link to When the Grunion Run?

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2022, 11:27:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i rock a 13 footpad as well.

Your arches will feel some change, as you will probably  start riding like a "normal skateboard." But your feet will move naturally to a more comfortable position. When I just cruise down the street, my front foot tends to start pointing to about 1 to 2 o'clock and the back foot keeps to about 3 o'clock. When I'm skating a park, the feet tend to back to "normal" but with a little variation.

You can totally ride one, it's just a matter of re-adjusting from your muscle memory of more traditional boards. Your feet will adjust, and it will be rad.

Heated Wheel boards are really about the shape to me, at the end of the day. The board shape as of now is based  upon the Dale Velzy/Hap Jacobs "Pig" model surfboard. The most striking feature is the the wide point is behind the middle of the board, just like a Pig. Your front foot will be on the thinnest part of the board, and the widest point will be under your back foot. That will take a little getting used to as well.

There is also the point of board manufacture and how much concave/convex is on the deck. That will be a mitigating factor on board feel on the Heated Wheel board.

A homebrew board, you can make however you damn want. Pick a mellow concave, a deep concave, whatever shape, etc. Just try to aim for a larger wheelbase and turn that board upside down, and you'll get a groove going on.

If you've never done it, do it. I've literally just rode Polarizers since January, eschewing my other boards, and for good reason. It's the feeling I've been trying to replicate for years with Zip Zingers and other cruisers. It's new, but old. It's the heart of the thing we love.

Lovely response, thank you.  It’s now solidly on my to-do list.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 106
« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2022, 02:10:43 AM »
No problem.
Finally got around to mounting the trucks.

Still need to spin down some bushing and dig through my grip scraps. We’ve got a date for Friday night.

One of the ones with the misspressed logo. You're not tempted to run it twrong way round with the wider part at the front?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #160 on: July 15, 2022, 07:28:14 PM »
@fernando the skater no. My ocd got the best of me and I took some rubbing alcohol on a rag and removed the bottom graphic(kept the top though).

Gripped and good to go for our date.

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2022, 03:44:45 PM »
Has anyone done more of a square tail and nose design?  For some reason I keeping thinking that would look really sick

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2022, 04:59:27 PM »
I get the hype now. These are fun.

No the trucks aren’t messed up, just floppy.

I did sort of. Based off the Cinex shape but with a slightly eggish taper.

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2022, 05:31:58 PM »
Expand Quote
I get the hype now. These are fun.

No the trucks aren’t messed up, just floppy.

[close]
I did sort of. Based off the Cinex shape but with a slightly eggish taper.

Nice, yeah, the side closer to your Spicolli’s is pretty close to what I have in mind

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2022, 10:10:15 AM »

I got the cosmos sparkle idea from seeing @lilboosie painting his trucks in the setup thread. It’s hard to take a good picture of it though. ACE 11’s looked like how 215’s look on a regular board, so I bit the bullet and got some of the Suregrip roller skate trucks. Mark Gonzales Spitfire cruiser wheels from 2014. I brought it out on the session last night and it was a hot ticket item with everyone. Lots of 360 spins and attempted hang 10 nose manuals
fuck you bama

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2022, 06:49:24 PM »

I got the cosmos sparkle idea from seeing @lilboosie painting his trucks in the setup thread. It’s hard to take a good picture of it though. ACE 11’s looked like how 215’s look on a regular board, so I bit the bullet and got some of the Suregrip roller skate trucks. Mark Gonzales Spitfire cruiser wheels from 2014. I brought it out on the session last night and it was a hot ticket item with everyone. Lots of 360 spins and attempted hang 10 nose manuals

Your grip job is 10/10.  The yellow and pink + sparkle unlocked some deep buried nostalgia I’d completely forgotten.

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #166 on: July 18, 2022, 10:14:59 AM »

this is so sick!!

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #167 on: July 18, 2022, 08:28:32 PM »
I’d love to buy a sheet of grip tape like that.  I appreciate your restraint in not putting the cosmos pattern all over the entire board.  So tasteful

George Vallore

« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2022, 11:43:00 AM »
I just got my SIRE Polarizer in, it's officially BBS stock. Rocking a big flat mid. It's pretty.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2022, 01:18:13 PM »
I just got my SIRE Polarizer in, it's officially BBS stock. Rocking a big flat mid. It's pretty.

Love that graphic. I was very tempted but I needed to get the black one for the wheel/grip color combo I'm trying to rock. Please post pics once it is ready to roll!

chat noir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2022, 03:08:33 PM »
Just picked up a sire. I'm going to mount the sure grips with the pro wood screws. Do I need to drill pilot holes?

Also, wheelbase science... It's so foreign to me. What are you guys doing for your rigs? Measuring axle to axle?

George Vallore

« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2022, 04:50:26 PM »
Just picked up a sire. I'm going to mount the sure grips with the pro wood screws. Do I need to drill pilot holes?

Also, wheelbase science... It's so foreign to me. What are you guys doing for your rigs? Measuring axle to axle?

axle to axle is the measurement we use for WB.

18-20 inches is usually the parameters. I do 19 1/4 on my polarizers, and i love it.

I use a smaller drill bit to prep the screws. FYI, it's more common to use sheet metal screws than traditional woods screws.
Sheet metal screw #10 5/8. the tips might come through the top a bit.

chat noir

« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2022, 05:24:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

axle to axle is the measurement we use for WB.

18-20 inches is usually the parameters. I do 19 1/4 on my polarizers, and i love it.

I use a smaller drill bit to prep the screws. FYI, it's more common to use sheet metal screws than traditional woods screws.
Sheet metal screw #10 5/8. the tips might come through the top a bit.

Thanks, George. Any tips on centering/placing the sure grips before drilling? I am pretty nervous about them not being aligned.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2022, 05:54:04 PM »

Beautiful.
I think Shake Junt did some metal flake grip(only in green flake though) @Sketch Hitchcock.
@George Vallore if I ever got one with a graphic it’s definitely be the Sire. Love that one.
@chat noir definitely drill pilot holes. If not there’s a chance(albeit small) that they may split later if not.
Here’s a screen grab of the best advice for centering them:

For wb I did what Blender had his set at. 3 1/2” nose/tail.
@Ronnie Rodriguez pics when you can please.

George Vallore

« Reply #174 on: July 20, 2022, 04:05:11 AM »

fantastic advice! for cutting out the sure grip truck template, go to "moonpatrolpolarizers" on Instagram, scroll down to the video he has of how to make the sure grip truck template, remember the pivot side holes are a little closer...

the axle is approximately 7/8" lower than the pivot side holes (top holes) so you can measure down on the paper, get a small t-square, and mark on your template where your axle line is going to be. I've found it easier step-wise to have that line to get more precise with the WB.

3 1/2" nose/tail ala Blender is going to give you about a little under a 19" WB. I do 3" give or take, and get 19 1/4".

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #175 on: July 20, 2022, 06:40:50 AM »

Just a hair under 19.5 WB axel to axel.
Eat well my friends.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

chat noir

« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2022, 09:54:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

fantastic advice! for cutting out the sure grip truck template, go to "moonpatrolpolarizers" on Instagram, scroll down to the video he has of how to make the sure grip truck template, remember the pivot side holes are a little closer...

the axle is approximately 7/8" lower than the pivot side holes (top holes) so you can measure down on the paper, get a small t-square, and mark on your template where your axle line is going to be. I've found it easier step-wise to have that line to get more precise with the WB.

3 1/2" nose/tail ala Blender is going to give you about a little under a 19" WB. I do 3" give or take, and get 19 1/4".

3 1/2" nose/tail mean the axle is 3 1/2" from the nose/tail? Thanks George and Plan9. Looking for center...

IpathCats

« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2022, 10:24:40 AM »

Eat well my friends.

Damn, I'm not one for crazy grip, my polarizer is just plain gripped, but this is sick. bonus points for the "eat well". Well done good sir, well done, you earned this gnar and then some.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 106
« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2022, 02:39:50 PM »

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2022, 05:21:50 PM »

Eat well my friends.
Beautiful and love the ‘eat well’.