Author Topic: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)  (Read 35828 times)

Ronnie Rodriguez

Re: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)
« Reply #240 on: August 18, 2022, 08:52:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Been riding mine around town a bunch this past week; these are just so, so fucking fun. The rough riders make me feel invincible. Also I cannot emphasize enough how different the ride is on magic cushions as opposed to the stock bones.
[close]
I’ve been on Indy 78s(bottom sanded into a conical) with no washers. What duro cushions and shape are you riding? I’ve been tempted by the 72 conicals but was using what I had.
Also, were you running the regular top/bottom combo or the 2 bottoms per truck? If I can get even more turn than now I’m all for it.

How are the Indy 78s in this instance? I had a set of Ace 44 classics where I ran them as my bottom bushing and loved them.

That being said, I also got wheelbite on my polarizer running bones mediums on top and softs on the bottom so maybe that is tempting fate.

sharkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2022, 08:56:03 AM »
I'm riding bont 78a barrel bottom with a cone top

they're super rubbery, i can push hard to wheelbite but have 4 washers to clear any hanger bite

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #242 on: August 18, 2022, 10:52:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Been riding mine around town a bunch this past week; these are just so, so fucking fun. The rough riders make me feel invincible. Also I cannot emphasize enough how different the ride is on magic cushions as opposed to the stock bones.
[close]
I’ve been on Indy 78s(bottom sanded into a conical) with no washers. What duro cushions and shape are you riding? I’ve been tempted by the 72 conicals but was using what I had.
Also, were you running the regular top/bottom combo or the 2 bottoms per truck? If I can get even more turn than now I’m all for it.

I was running what came stock from heated wheel which I believe is two bones bottoms.

I just run two red barrels in the back with the bones washer on top, and two yellow barrels in the front, also with bones washer on top. I (thankfully) don’t suffer from madness and am not really a gear head/tinkerer so I don’t know the duro/exact shape but the thing rolls so well so I’m not gonna fuck with it too much more.

I also really love having pulled the wheelbase back on the front truck resulting in a big nose, basically puts my front foot right before the front truck which makes carving feel great.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #243 on: August 18, 2022, 12:54:44 PM »
G&S has surfskates back in stock

https://gordonandsmith.com/collections/skateboards

Wish I had a need for one but I know I'm only gonna use it like twice before letting it collect dust  :'(

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #244 on: August 18, 2022, 06:17:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

How are the Indy 78s in this instance? I had a set of Ace 44 classics where I ran them as my bottom bushing and loved them.

That being said, I also got wheelbite on my polarizer running bones mediums on top and softs on the bottom so maybe that is tempting fate.
They’re great. Just make sure to sand the barrels into conicals. Regular top with bottom barrel sucked. I do ride them on all my stuff so it’s not different other than I can turn waaaaaay deeper with the tiny trucks.
Still can’t help wondering about the 72 conical Suregrips though. Madness and all that…
@mattchew thanks.
@yourbreakfsat at least your being honest with yourself. I’d convince myself I can’t live with out one then have it suffer a similar fate.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #245 on: August 18, 2022, 06:45:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
They’re great. Just make sure to sand the barrels into conicals. Regular top with bottom barrel sucked. I do ride them on all my stuff so it’s not different other than I can turn waaaaaay deeper with the tiny trucks.
Still can’t help wondering about the 72 conical Suregrips though. Madness and all that…
@mattchew thanks.
@yourbreakfsat at least your being honest with yourself. I’d convince myself I can’t live with out one then have it suffer a similar fate.

78a Indy work great in my sure grips, especially well fully broken in. Feel like a conical bottom bushing would be a little sketchy at higher speeds and on hills, is it still relatively stable?

Sanding wheelwells into my polarizers been a gamechanger, no more worry.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #246 on: August 18, 2022, 08:37:43 PM »
@YungJugg the only ‘hills’ we have around where I am is only about 30’ tall and pretty mellow. I will hit them with as much speed as I can get by pushing my ass off before I go down them and I don’t have a problem. Take that with a grain of salt though, since they’re not a really hills.
I use the same bushings on my dog walker/rain board (24.5” x 6” with 12” wb and floppy loose) so it’s not a huge difference between the two.

Art Greco

• Rep: 14
    • Skate2Junkies avatar image
« Reply #247 on: August 19, 2022, 07:03:40 PM »
I’m running Bones soft bushings, bottoms all around as recommended by Neil Blender. Works great…

Here is what Neil said about bushing: -NB: “Here’s some bushings that are good. Bones soft: remember to use all bottom ones 14mm, otherwise you bottom the kingpin out.”

« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 08:19:36 AM by Art Greco »
What's going on over at https://skate2junkies.proboards.com/ ???

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #248 on: August 21, 2022, 07:45:03 AM »

After several, several R and D runs on all kinds of boards, trucks, bushings, wheels, etc
I have momentarily settled on this setup. I dig.

"Sire" polarizer
 Sure Grip plates with HUCK TRUCKS 2.5" axles
Powerdyne Hop Up Kit 85A barrel/cones
Bones Swiss
Ye Olde Rough Riders 56mm

Scored some Hop Up Kits from the UK, can absolutely see why they were initially recommended for polarizers before they
went OOS.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #249 on: August 23, 2022, 11:27:27 PM »

just found this video. this guy just made me realize how much you can do on these boards

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
« Reply #250 on: August 24, 2022, 06:58:08 AM »
Those pants and those tunes are a hard sell.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #251 on: August 24, 2022, 09:02:27 AM »
Those are just normal pants that no one outside of slap would think twice about. The tunes are corny, but that dude is killing it.

Unless there are two guys with the same name who are into Polarizers, he also put together an article about them with some direct intel from Neil Blender.

https://shredshack.com/polarizer-skateboard/

George Vallore

« Reply #252 on: August 24, 2022, 09:07:47 AM »

just found this video. this guy just made me realize how much you can do on these boards

This is Ty, and he rips.

He is the author of the Shred Shack articles on polarizers, yeah.

He also rips on a surfboard, on a longboard, on a skateboard, whatever.

Heckuva nice kid, as well.

He should be writing another article about polarizing at the moment, I believe.

I've been assisting him with this/that in regards to old guy skate info, ha!

Art Greco

« Reply #253 on: August 24, 2022, 09:24:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is Ty, and he rips.

He is the author of the Shred Shack articles on polarizers, yeah.

He also rips on a surfboard, on a longboard, on a skateboard, whatever.

Heckuva nice kid, as well.

He should be writing another article about polarizing at the moment, I believe.

I've been assisting him with this/that in regards to old guy skate info, ha!

Dude totally rips. That video made me want to go skate!  Looking forward to more videos and articles from him in the future.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 01:22:22 PM by Art Greco »

Fakiepush

• Rep: 1
« Reply #254 on: August 24, 2022, 05:30:05 PM »
Used a polarizer as a template to cut out an ishod twin tail, sawed the nose and tail out to get a 20” wheelbase.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #255 on: August 24, 2022, 07:24:35 PM »

On a Scram trip a few years back Lindloff was shredding the hell out of a polarizer. If I can find the clips again I’ll toss them up. I know there’s also some footy of Raven ripping on one I think at Washington street?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #256 on: August 24, 2022, 11:22:52 PM »
Yeah that Raven hillbomb is fucked.

Sorry for the Facebook vid but here it is
https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=10155218212312803&_rdr

Art Greco

« Reply #257 on: August 25, 2022, 06:33:55 PM »
Used a polarizer as a template to cut out an ishod twin tail, sawed the nose and tail out to get a 20” wheelbase.

Ingenuity at its best. Nice work. How’s it ride?

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #258 on: August 25, 2022, 06:38:29 PM »
2:48 … some Polarizer competition…

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #259 on: August 25, 2022, 11:16:05 PM »
That was sick, I love skatepark races
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #260 on: August 25, 2022, 11:28:38 PM »
'Rizer's are hellride now...

The end is near

George Vallore

« Reply #261 on: August 26, 2022, 06:35:19 AM »

Uh oh. Polarizers in Thrasher. The Purists are gonna freak.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #262 on: August 26, 2022, 08:37:13 AM »

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #263 on: August 26, 2022, 11:22:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Uh oh. Polarizers in Thrasher. The Purists are gonna freak.

I also thought this was pretty significant.  Big moment for polarizers.  Just wish Omar Hassan wasnt so vocal haha. 

I dig the 70s contest vibe, Jake Hill and Tom Remillard of Heated Wheel messing around on Neil’s polarizer for a Thrasher vid.  And Jake Hill’s hippy jump “World Chamionship” was on a cruiser board of some kind too.  Liked seeing Riley Hawk, made a nice connection to old SoCal contest scene.  Felt like a very specific spotlight on this little subculture and I loved it for that

Also these boards are harder to ride without “experience” as Omar describes it, so that gave it another dimension

George Vallore

« Reply #264 on: August 28, 2022, 05:15:42 AM »

This one is pretty wild balance wise.

Hewitt deck
Sk8 City trucks
78a BONT bushings, barrell/cone
bones and rough riders.

Took the WB down to about 16 1/4" axle to axle.
The Sk8 City trucks have more of a traditional truck geometry than bona fide rollerskate trucks.

It is so damn squirrelly. Total Blast.

Fakiepush

• Rep: 1
« Reply #265 on: August 30, 2022, 11:36:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ingenuity at its best. Nice work. How’s it ride?

Rides amazing, long wheelbase feels very stable compared to my first with a 17" wheelbase. Only problem was kingpin would bite the street on any slightly uneven pavement so had to put on a short top bushing.

George Vallore

« Reply #266 on: September 03, 2022, 10:35:55 AM »

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #267 on: September 03, 2022, 04:05:37 PM »

George Vallore

« Reply #268 on: September 04, 2022, 04:34:30 AM »

George Vallore

« Reply #269 on: September 06, 2022, 06:49:05 AM »

Hey humans:

I've made a POLARIZATION STATION playlist on Spotify to polarize with/on/around.

If you want to collaborate on it with your own jams, hit me up and I'll add you to the collab list!

Enjoy it.