Author Topic: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)  (Read 34192 times)

fernando the skater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 88
Re: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2022, 02:37:43 AM »
I’ve cut up a Powell flight, and it works great. Nice flex, and super strong.

How heavy are you? I've cut old Krooked and Zero decks down to 6" wide, extended the wheelbase, and there was no flex. I'm around 11 stone.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2022, 05:34:32 AM »
176 kg.

Not a ton of flex like a full fiberglass deck, but they are thin enough to have a nice bit of it if you push into it.

My first attempt, regular wood deck
(Tried mounting it upside down, proper polarizer style, but didn’t like it)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_CIRWolIU6/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

And the flight deck

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_cLJv9FdyS/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2022, 06:35:27 PM »
Cheap blank that I flaked and was going to be paneled and candied. Screw it. Got tired of wanting a polarizer so this will be it.

It’ll get shaped later. Curbs are calling.

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2022, 07:26:54 AM »
Riding a board with no ability to do a kick turn changes everything. Even riding normal boards I find myself carving around the park differently now.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2022, 06:39:22 PM »
I get the hype now. These are fun.

No the trucks aren’t messed up, just floppy.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2022, 09:00:10 PM »
I gotta get one
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2022, 12:21:24 AM »
can someone explain to me the correct way to tighten roller skate trucks with inverted kingpin and no locknut? i thought i understood it but my sure grips always end up coming loose  after a few hours of skating around :-\

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2022, 06:42:51 AM »
While picking up a bike trailer to cart my 4-year old around in, the guy who sold it to me saw the skateboard in my car and asked me if I wanted an old one he was going to throw out.

He bought a lodge in a ski town, and this thing has been sitting in there forever.

He handed it to me. I thought it was some old penny board and I could scavenge the trucks but fuck me I saw “G&S” on the wheels and was kinda blown away.

So it’s a heavily delammed Rockit Skateboard, with ACS  500 trucks (9-hike boot pattern) and G&S wheels

The trucks are fairly rusty, and I’m asking around for advice about getting the rust off and what bushings to replace it with.

Anyone knowledgeable about old G&S stuff?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2022, 08:21:40 AM »
There’s a thread somewhere and I’ve been bangin on about em for years. Love em! So glad they’re a bit easier to get real ones finally. Here’s my one from 2018 that’s still going strong. Made one a bit earlier too.

Edit: thread for ref https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=109955.0

Heated Wheel Polarizer 6 ply 6.0
Sure Grip Rollerskate Trucks
Bones Rough Riders 56mm
Powerdyne Hop Up Kit Bushings
Bones Swiss 6

I finally snagged a real Polarizer off Neil Blender. Heated Wheel is Blenders board company and he makes a small amount of these a year, and they're pretty much just available in 2 San Diego skate shops, so i'm beyond stoked.  Picked up a Vert board too which i'll post later.  Cant describe the ride on these things, too much fun.  Turns like nothing else and feels so comfortable. Slight convex, downturned nose and tail and super low to the ground, feels amazing under foot and you can turn so deep and tight. Rollerskate trucks turn much better than small skate trucks.  Nothing like it on a flowy small bowl, on a beer run or just pelting down some hills.  Watson Laminates presses the boards and the stain is so glossy and nice.  Stoked.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 08:31:09 AM by radcunt »

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2022, 08:54:47 AM »
can someone explain to me the correct way to tighten roller skate trucks with inverted kingpin and no locknut? i thought i understood it but my sure grips always end up coming loose  after a few hours of skating around :-\

did you take the bottom lock nut off?
thought that was necessary to lock the kingpin otherwise yeah it would spin freely right?
I thread the kingpin to the necessary tightness then tighten down the lock nut to keep everything from loosening

thanksgiving

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2022, 09:16:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

thought that was necessary to lock the kingpin otherwise yeah it would spin freely right?
I thread the kingpin to the necessary tightness then tighten down the lock nut to keep everything from loosening
no, that’s what i’ve been doing. i guess maybe i am just not tightening it enough as my wrench is wider than the nut so it’s pretty awkward to turn

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2022, 09:35:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
no, that’s what i’ve been doing. i guess maybe i am just not tightening it enough as my wrench is wider than the nut so it’s pretty awkward to turn

If you want to loosen them, unscrew the top bolt then screw the bottom nut down to make it snug with the baseplate.
If you want to tighten them, screw the bottom nut up to squeeze the bushing assembly together, then screw then top bolt down to make the whole thing snug with the baseplate. If you really crank down the lock nut, it should stay put for several sessions, but I always check the trucks before riding because they are a little unreliable.

IpathCats

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2022, 10:10:30 AM »
anyone know when the heated wheel decks are coming back in stock? these have peaked my interest, and people never know what to get me for my birthday that's coming up in july.....

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2022, 11:54:04 AM »
New Heated Wheel Polarizers around mid June, I believe. Four new polarizers, three graphics, one all white I think.

For probably about a day on the site, so get ready.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2022, 12:15:04 PM »
Snagged one!

No, the irony isn’t lost on me. 🥴

IpathCats

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2022, 12:42:57 PM »
do these things wheelbite like crazy with the reverse concave?

thanksgiving

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2022, 02:13:20 PM »
nope, smaller trucks=less wheelbite

George Vallore

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2022, 03:29:21 PM »

I've gotten more TOP BUSHING WASHER BITE than wheelbite.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2022, 07:02:58 PM »
30ish minute roll on mine and no wheelbite at all(floppy loose trucks and 55 mini juices).

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2022, 08:21:43 AM »
For the folks using the SureGrip vintage trucks: what size wood screws or hardware are you running?

thanksgiving

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2022, 09:04:23 AM »
For the folks using the SureGrip vintage trucks: what size wood screws or hardware are you running?
6-32

IpathCats

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2022, 09:28:45 AM »
so do the heated wheel decks have some flex to them? Is that what the formica layers do? I'm totally ignorant

George Vallore

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2022, 03:09:14 PM »
so do the heated wheel decks have some flex to them? Is that what the formica layers do? I'm totally ignorant

they flex, absolutely.

IpathCats

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2022, 05:20:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they flex, absolutely.

Word, im deff going to try to snag one rather than make my own then.

thanksgiving

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2022, 05:05:43 PM »
the formica is on the top and bottom and im pretty sure its just for cosmetic purposes. my hewitt model is 5 plies of wood then the 2 formica, and flexes for sure with a 18.5" axle to axle wheelbase.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2022, 05:13:06 PM »

My one is a 6 ply and has a bit of flex, but not heaps. You feel it when you really dig into a turn though.  Depends on how wide you do your wheelbase too, obviously.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2022, 12:49:17 AM »
Just got my Hewitt polarizer and I didn’t know it does not come with mounting holes.

How have you handled it?

I have received some furniture looking screws but I don’t want to fuck it up. So I was thinking to drill holes and use skate bolts, or it it ok to use just wooden screws?

Thanks
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 88
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2022, 02:26:37 AM »
I'd use normal skate bolts. Cover it with masking tape, or any tape that doesn't leave a residue, measure, mark out, check, and drill. Once you've drilled one hole, you can mount the truck baseplate with one bolt as template.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2022, 08:03:21 AM »
The best screws I found we’re bones rail screws. They bite and grip like nothing else. Wish you could just buy them separately.

thanksgiving

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2022, 12:21:54 PM »
Just got my Hewitt polarizer and I didn’t know it does not come with mounting holes.

How have you handled it?

I have received some furniture looking screws but I don’t want to fuck it up. So I was thinking to drill holes and use skate bolts, or it it ok to use just wooden screws?

Thanks

what trucks are you using? if you got sure grips they have different sized holes. (6-32 at hardware store)

-trace out the truck on a piece of paper, and mark the holes. fold it in half holding up to light so you can make sure the holes are lining up perfect.

-put a piece of rope or fishing line along the deck, and measure throughout the deck to make sure it’s perfectly centered from end to end.

-tape your truck template to desired wheelbase, line up your fold with the string, and drill