Author Topic: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)  (Read 35205 times)

Sikost

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)
« Reply #480 on: May 30, 2023, 11:42:58 AM »
Ok i finally manged to dial my ACS 430. Got the missing pivot cup from acs roller plates i got online, put a mix of Powerglyde and Bones bushings, short wb on a Peter Hewitt inspired diy cut and i have to say it’s great!! Very nervous set up, and love the acs trucks!
I did shorten the HW wb set up and it is also much better! Still working on the right combo on the HW trucks but i’m getting there! I sand some barrel Powerglyde in cone shape, now waiting for some soft Bont bushing as suggested here to replace the last top HW bushing

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #481 on: May 30, 2023, 12:31:30 PM »
Just nabbed a Bank Mauler myself.  Saw on Neil’s instagram the prototype model was on Powell Skate Aids, but also wondering what is preferred for those who have ridden one before.

Those are just 78a’s in a similar Bones ATF formula to Rough Riders?  56mm?
Setup seems really fuckin cool, just wonder how this thing is meant to be used… as a cruiser?  A crusty banky skatepark set up?  Pump tracks?  Honestly asking because I think I love it but wanna understand what exactly I’d be working with here  ;D
Would it be insane to put dragons on it and make it more of an all-terrain thing?

IpathCats

« Reply #482 on: May 30, 2023, 01:01:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Just nabbed a Bank Mauler myself.  Saw on Neil’s instagram the prototype model was on Powell Skate Aids, but also wondering what is preferred for those who have ridden one before.
[close]

Setup seems really fuckin cool, just wonder how this thing is meant to be used… as a cruiser?  A crusty banky skatepark set up?  Pump tracks?  Honestly asking because I think I love it but wanna understand what exactly I’d be working with here  ;D
Would it be insane to put dragons on it and make it more of an all-terrain thing?

I dont think so

I put dragons on my polarizer for a few sessions.

getting little slides on that thing was fun.

might put them on again sometime but im back on the rough riders for now.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #483 on: May 30, 2023, 01:19:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I dont think so

Word, yeah that sounds fun as hell!

Seems like our boy George blessed us with this description of the product already:

No real flex to the Bank Mauler.

It's a "tradtional" board. Mild concave from truck to truck. About 8 1/4 at widest point.

NO TAIL. Your back foot fits right in this nice "pocket" over the back truck. Lots of back foot control.

With the Aces, it's super carvy.

I've been calling it a "skatepark cruiser" if that makes sense. You smack bank walls with the carves of a polarizer but nowhere near as squirrel-y. It's FUN.

George, you get outside the skatepark yet?  Would love to hear more of your takes on this gizmo, your set up looks amazing, my friend.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #484 on: May 30, 2023, 04:34:44 PM »
These would probably be fun

https://www.speedlabwheels.com/collections/wheels/products/nomads-56mm-97a-grass-stain

Rode someone’s board a few years ago with 97a speedlabs and they were a nice grippy wheel that was still pretty fast

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #485 on: May 30, 2023, 08:43:51 PM »
skate aids are a 78a rough rider, but no core makes them grippier and softer feeling

stoked to see this thread active again :)

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #486 on: May 30, 2023, 09:21:36 PM »
skate aids are a 78a rough rider, but no core makes them grippier and softer feeling

So the Skate Aid wheel would maybe be a tad slower, since the RR is cored with a harder durometer?

Sikost

« Reply #487 on: May 31, 2023, 12:39:33 AM »
Anybody tried the OJ Plain Jane 87a on a polarizer? The Powell Dragon formula seems nice but the idea of silent slides kind of freaks me out…
I have some old Plain Jane 58mm that are around 57mm that l’a going to try!

« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 01:20:49 AM by Sikost »

boston_bruins

« Reply #488 on: May 31, 2023, 06:21:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So the Skate Aid wheel would maybe be a tad slower, since the RR is cored with a harder durometer?
Skate aids are faster than rough riders IMO. Wayyyy smoother ride especially on rough shit. Also they are 59mm not 56mm. Rough rider might be faster at super smooth park but like someone said earlier, the soft wheels are slow and mushy on smooth concrete. Dragons are def the call for smooth stuff

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #489 on: May 31, 2023, 02:35:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I dont think so

[close]

Word, yeah that sounds fun as hell!

Seems like our boy George blessed us with this description of the product already:

Expand Quote
No real flex to the Bank Mauler.

It's a "tradtional" board. Mild concave from truck to truck. About 8 1/4 at widest point.

NO TAIL. Your back foot fits right in this nice "pocket" over the back truck. Lots of back foot control.

With the Aces, it's super carvy.

I've been calling it a "skatepark cruiser" if that makes sense. You smack bank walls with the carves of a polarizer but nowhere near as squirrel-y. It's FUN.
[close]

George, you get outside the skatepark yet?  Would love to hear more of your takes on this gizmo, your set up looks amazing, my friend.

Bank Mauler is now my GO TO skatepark board, since the park is a shitty little circle of different sized banks and one clamshell in a corner.

I fucked around with bushing situations with the Mauler, hit up NB and he recommended bones soft front and bones medium back (top and bottoms for both), but that gave me some wheel rubs on the front truck after learning how to DEEP CARVE on a polarizer and basically having your weight dispersion rewired.

The way I run the Mauler bushings on the ACE 00s now is Bones soft tops and ACE stock barrel on BOTH trucks. Stabilizes the center of gravity a bit with the 86A barrels, and the Bones top gives you a giving carve.

I polarize when riding around and cruisin for a bruisin.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #490 on: May 31, 2023, 04:28:43 PM »
Whoa hadn’t scoped out the bank mauler before but that looks sick!

With the boards being predrilled now do they just use normal hardware?

I’m only able to have a proper skate twice a week but I’ve been trying to polarize for ten min every day, it’s the best. I positively do not need more than one, but damn it’s hard to not build a lot of these little fuckers: the Foxed, Aqua (wish I got the undrilled), Fiber Rider, haven’t tried HW trucks…and now Bank Mauler. Ugh ;D
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #491 on: June 01, 2023, 01:01:25 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback!  Gonna have a think on wheels, it’s a fun little puzzle to sort out.  :D
Are we sure 59mm Skate Aids would be OK on a Bank Mauler?  No wheel bite potential?
56’s are the move for the roller skate based polarizers it seems so I was thinking 56’s for this since, yeah it’s slightly wider at 8.25 but has a medium concave instead of convex… and not totally dissimilar in size to the 6 x 27.5 models… so curious what y’all think!

fernando the skater

• Rep: 99
« Reply #492 on: June 02, 2023, 02:07:29 PM »

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #493 on: June 02, 2023, 02:51:11 PM »
“Many ways to maul” !!

What a time to be alive  ;D

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 162
« Reply #494 on: June 02, 2023, 03:48:38 PM »

Rad.  Are those Skate Aids or Rough Riders?

boston_bruins

« Reply #495 on: June 02, 2023, 03:52:11 PM »
Looking like skate aid

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 162
« Reply #496 on: June 02, 2023, 04:42:25 PM »
Looking like skate aid

Thanks, snagged some

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #497 on: June 03, 2023, 02:24:31 PM »
Okay, I’m a Mauler grabber too now. 
Thanks for all the ideas on wheels - I have some Rough Riders on another board so I’ll see what all this hype is about Skate Aids. 
Could be because Blender’s rig looked to be set up that way, but its pretty sick with the graphic out and all the black coordination going on.

cripmeister

• Rep: 1
« Reply #498 on: June 03, 2023, 02:54:43 PM »
I tried this but it doesn’t feel right, i will get wheel bites on this large washer…

I’m confused, can you guys who owns the HW trucks show me their bushing configuration using Powerdyne?

Get the Powerdyne Hop Up Kit, they are cone top bushings so no need for a cup. I have been riding Powerdyne bushings the past two years, they work great with HW trucks.

Sikost

« Reply #499 on: June 04, 2023, 02:11:41 AM »
Thanks! I manage to snag the last pack i could find of red hop up in Europe! I also got some 78A Bont bushings, and did sand some powerdyne yellow barrels. Still experimenting on those HW trucks! I also bought a Peter Hewitt, will put my Acs 430 on it, and will have to experiment bushings on that set up as well! Deep down the rabbit hole, fun and fascinating!

Sikost

« Reply #500 on: June 07, 2023, 03:34:19 PM »
What are the best pivot cup for the HW trucks?
Any Riptide cup that fit in it?

IpathCats

« Reply #501 on: June 07, 2023, 03:44:38 PM »
What are the best pivot cup for the HW trucks?
Any Riptide cup that fit in it?

I've not heard of a riptide cup that fits.

Seems like people are replacing the hw ones with suregrip pivots.

SorryReallySorryDVD

• Rep: 10
« Reply #502 on: June 07, 2023, 05:29:16 PM »
Has anyone tried the Mini Logo AWOLs? I’m looking to get a set of 55s but want to check in here first.

Sikost

« Reply #503 on: June 07, 2023, 10:15:36 PM »
Alright thanks i have some Sure Grip pivot on the way, also considering the mini logo

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #504 on: June 08, 2023, 05:11:42 PM »
Powerdyne Hop Up Kit is discontinued, FYI everyone. Can only get barrels from Powerdyne now

Here it is, homies. My first full "commercial" polarizer:

No measuring, no drilling, no templates, no grinder, no wood screws, no nothing.

Predrilled hole, normal skateboard bolts, HW trucks.

It was amazingly, amazingly simple to put together. Felt WEIRD.

Have not rode yet, will get back to ya.  Switched HW standard bushings for two barrel/cone 78A BONTS.

cripmeister

« Reply #505 on: June 10, 2023, 04:37:49 AM »
A heads up on the HW trucks. They will catch going up over steeper banks and such.

Tried them at my local skatepark today and I am a bit disappointed to be honest. Back truck caught on the edge of a somewhat steep bank going up it. None of my Sure Grips ever had this issue on this bank. Looking at the geometry I can see why. I run 56 mm Bones. Anyone else experienced it?

boston_bruins

« Reply #506 on: June 10, 2023, 06:42:28 AM »
A heads up on the HW trucks. They will catch going up over steeper banks and such.

Tried them at my local skatepark today and I am a bit disappointed to be honest. Back truck caught on the edge of a somewhat steep bank going up it. None of my Sure Grips ever had this issue on this bank. Looking at the geometry I can see why. I run 56 mm Bones. Anyone else experienced it?
Your kingpin is hitting the sharp edge of the top of the bank/hip. This is the polarizer gods sending you a sign to not ride these obstacles in this manner anymore. Carve on the face of the bank, don’t ride over it. Basically, if you are ever clicking your kingpin on anything, you are doing it wrong. Hot tip: when riding over cracks in the street/sidewalk, don’t right straight over them (kingpin will click), hit em at a 45deg angle and you will roll smoothly over even the biggest crack
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 06:58:57 AM by boston_bruins »

cripmeister

« Reply #507 on: June 10, 2023, 07:38:22 AM »
I should have been more precise what I meant by catching, sorry. It is the yoke that catches.

boston_bruins

« Reply #508 on: June 10, 2023, 09:09:18 AM »
I see what you mean, but still: if any part of your trucks are clipping on shit, just ride the obstacle differently. Try rolling over that sharp edge at more of an angle or something, idk

fernando the skater

• Rep: 99
« Reply #509 on: June 10, 2023, 11:11:23 AM »
Aren't the Heated Wheel trucks wider than the Sure Grips? It could be that there's more room between the wheels, and this larger gap enables the hanger to scrape.