Author Topic: some girl contest skater making a huge fuss over losing to a trans woman  (Read 61226 times)

aàáâäæãå

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
So for the trans vs bio reasoning, where does Mar Del stand in this?

This ain’t an apple to apple comparison, so I don’t want to put words in our hellvenly saints’ mouth; but, she discussed mixing genders in contests:

Do you think contests should integrate men and women?

Before ever going to one I was like, “Fuck a girl’s contest.” I did think they should be integrated. Then I skated Tampa AM once. It wasn’t even as gnarly as it is today but skating that I thought I sucked compared to these dudes. I’m the blue collar skater who’s super simple. I would kickflip the stairs while everybody was switch tre flipping them.

Will we see a woman who can compete with a man? I would never be flat out, “No.” If I was asked that when I was 19, I would’ve been like, “Fuck yeah! Women can do everything men can do.” Now at 30 I’m beginning to realize I can’t ollie high anymore and I can’t do stuff 30 year-old guys can do. But that’s just me. I don’t want to sound like an asshole, but there’s this bro and testosterone culture. Men are like masochists. They like getting punched in the face and getting hurt. There’s more of a mental barrier in skateboarding with females. Guys have to be macho and can’t be pussies but it’s okay for a girl to be a pussy, so the barrier is set right there. But I’m not in contests anymore so I could kind of care less.

https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2017/12/05/happened-marisa-dal-santo/comment-page-7/

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802

1:53 and 49:32

Wouldn't be surprised if she goes on Tim Cast IRL next week. Perfect candidate for Pool's grift.

diplodocus

• Rep: 165
  • long neck

Expand Quote
we need a gifted hater video on this
[close]

He doesn't cover anything related to social/political/etc issues.

Isn’t that kinda lame? Wish we had more people who weren’t afraid of stepping outside the middle ground

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
we need a gifted hater video on this
[close]

He doesn't cover anything related to social/political/etc issues.
[close]

Isn’t that kinda lame? Wish we had more people who weren’t afraid of stepping outside the middle ground

Especially when this Tim Pool guy is flexing his “23 years of skateboarding experience” to his 1.29 million subscribers.

And now Clay Travis’ Outkick the Coverage has picked up the story.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Outkick/status/1527117899298652160?cxt=HHwWgICy3e3otLEqAAAA
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 08:42:03 PM by Punished Skateboards »

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -489
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
clearly there are differences, trans men aren't having babies anytime soon. people need to stop being so quick with the slurs. competitive sports aren't my thing but can empathize with the frustrations of the trans and non-trans athletes here. clearly there's some growing pains for these things to figure out and i don't think either side being dicks is helpful.
[close]
A. Trans men can and do get pregnant and give birth (I'm guessing you just got the terminology mixed up but lol.)
B. I don't give a shit what whiny cis people think.
C. The only people being dicks here are transphobes.
[close]

You, sir, Must be a moron.
[close]

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1526773125337305094 hope this shatters your world view
[close]

Its Not about Point A.
Its the other two That Are cringe.
[close]

[close]

WTF Makes me a transphobe exactly? Please elaborate. Have People lost their mind Here? Your blind hate pisses me off honestly.
[close]
imagine how trans people feel, when you invalidate their existence with your ignorant world view and intolerant rhetoric ?

Where and how do i invalidate their existence? How is my world view ignorant? Do you fuxking know me? Your Brain Must have failed you big Time.  :o

let me Tell you one thing: hate does Not lead to good things, whether youre leftwing or rightwing Extremist. Just Look at history. Hope youre old enough soon so That they can teach you some things at School.

For my Own sanity im done With This Thead. And you should take a break aswell, because behaviour like yours does the case for acceptance of trans People no favour. Your emotions (hate) is your Driving force. Reminds me of people on the opposite side of the political spectrum, which is damn sad.
If you wanna live in a Echo chamber where only one opinion is valid Go Join a dictatorship or suck putins Balls. He also likes to call anyone who disagrees With him a nazi while becoming a fascist himself. Just like you Happen to do. Take care.

Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

manysnakes

Ryan Lay called Tim Pool a loser, so that's cool.

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61
Ryan Lay called Tim Pool a loser, so that's cool.

eggandchain

• Rep: 2
alexis, transsender, arin, and that teenage brazilian girl would absolutely fuck any of our shit up so who the fuck cares

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 189
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Check useless wooden knowledge’s stories; you literally cannot make this shit up

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

diplodocus

• Rep: 165
  • long neck

LMAO she really just salty like the ocean

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 837

As G.I.M.S. said above....(posted screen shots for pals that don't use Instagram)

djoekr

• Rep: 324

As G.I.M.S. said above....(posted screen shots for pals that don't use Instagram)

HAHAHAHAHA this is great. But I'm still wondering. What kinda contests are throwing more than a $1000 at her for barely being able to carve a bowl? Maybe I chose the wrong career path.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -145
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
I just woke up from a dream where mid-30s Nyjah transitioned into a woman specifically to beat Sky Brown at the Cariuma Skateboarding Olympics.

excitableboy

• Rep: 93
Expand Quote
The transphobic person has gained 2000+ followers since this topic started. What an utter shit show this world has become.
[close]

I'd argue that she's not a transphobe. She seems to be just pro-women's-rights and seems to be upset that gender dysphoric man is winning prize money that was allocated for women athletes. It is a controversial topic but she's not arguing against the trans women's right to exist, or insulting her, she's just against her taking money from biological women.

Do you want inequity for women to accommodate trans athletes?

spare us all the "a male on estrogen supplements/ hormone therapy has the same body as a female" nonesense

Look, we've seen how she got second. No unfair advantage made that gold medal no pop nollie bigspin happen. Even if there were a point in principle, and it conceivably could become a thing contest organizers have to grapple with in future, that is clearly not the problem here. This 'girl' (grown woman of 27) is lucky to be humored as a contest skater at all, then goes and calls herself a 'professional athlete' as a pretext to rally alt-right outrage. Deluded at best, though it seems more like a case of bad faith entitlement.

Oldirtypasta

• Rep: -1
At least someone put on a show during the event, this girl is laaacking

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
Whats the tour Ryan Lay talked about? Sounds dope.

The world of "contest skating" is profoundly strange to me.

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
Expand Quote
The transphobic person has gained 2000+ followers since this topic started. What an utter shit show this world has become.
[close]

I'd argue that she's not a transphobe. She seems to be just pro-women's-rights and seems to be upset that gender dysphoric man is winning prize money that was allocated for women athletes. It is a controversial topic but she's not arguing against the trans women's right to exist, or insulting her, she's just against her taking money from biological women.

spare us all the "a male on estrogen supplements/ hormone therapy has the same body as a female" nonesense

She seems to be more of an anyone else but herself phobe with her apparently dogging on other female skaters regardless of whether or not they're trans for winning against her. Fuck, she can't even be bothered to follow a single person on her instagram? Curious if she'll have the gall to show her face at the girls/LGBTQ skate jam in Chicago this year, I just realized she's gone in the past  :o. Saw Marbie beat her at that event a few years ago and give the board she won to a little girl. I'd argue she's better at pushing women's skateboarding than Taylor.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
Are these competitions regulated by a governing body? Skateboarding USA? She's due for a blanket ban on entering any competition.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
I think banning would just make anyone who sides with her feel more sure about how they feel. Just let her continue to not be good enough to qualify for anything decent.

As far as them not following anyone on insta, did anyone follow them before their post? Maybe they unfollowed everyone to save them from potential backlash/collateral damage.

fickdiepolizei666

• Rep: -7
Expand Quote
[close]

says the transphobe

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
JK Rolling??

Dr Hass

• Rep: 4

1:53 and 49:32

When someone said earlier in the thread that this was going to reach full culture war levels, I rolled my eyes. Fucking hell.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 08:28:26 AM by Dr Hass »

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
JK Rolling??

More like JK Barely Rolling.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
Just here to say fuck this lady and fuck anyone that supports her. If it wasn’t for this post, she’d still be a nobody. This the most attention she’ll ever get and hopefully once the attention dies down, we can all forget about her and her dumbass views.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

Giftedly Hater’d

• Rep: 415
Expand Quote
[close]

Tagging the most trollish culture warriors would suggest to me that she’s something less than pure of heart. For argument’s sake let’s say she’s not a transphobe. There’s some honest and respectful freedom from vs freedom to debate to be had in there somewhere (though this seems like a bad test case for it). The next most obvious explanation is that she’s just a competitive person (“person who likes to win” might be more apt if we’re being honest) and she wants to take measures to maximize the chances of her winning.  And marginalizing (in the most non-pejorative sense of the word) trans people works towards that end. Maybe she’d happily session the park with them, lend a skate tool, or go out for ice cream afterwards. But when there’s money on the line… things are different. I’d be willing to bet that some percentage of the Ben Shapiros of the world are not transphobic, or racist, xenophobic, or whatever… but they are mediocre talents who’ve found a lucrative niche tossing other people under the bus for money and status. And with no moral compass they’ll do whatever it takes to keep it going. It’s the same path and the same outcome, and really, which is worse: actually believing it or being a mercenary? I’m honestly not sure.  My point being, labeling or not labeling someone a “transphobe” is less productive than saying they’re doing some transphobic shit regardless of their intent.

Maybe this woman needs to be more open hearted and accepting like the vast majority of other folks in womens comps? Maybe Mens contest skaters need to be more open hearted and cool? Maybe marginalization and oppression, like skateboarding, aren’t things that are well suited to being scored and turned into a competition?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
i don't get how people are so confident with these topics and insensitive to people being confused, taking pause, questioning, etc... there's a lot of tricky things that will likely pop up. is it naive or wrong to ask what it means to be a woman in the context of these events? is there some type of definition or qualification or is it simply a matter of someone saying they are a woman when they register? wouldn't that leave open competing in different events as different sexes on different days? would it even be possible to identify as both a man and a woman and compete in both events on the same day. if being both sexes isn't a thing, why not? if someone says they are both who's to say they aren't. if competing at different events as different sexes on different days shouldn't be allowed, why not? do the organizers of the events have any say in these matters being the ones who are creating the categories or is the concept of male and female now essentially unregulated.

there's so many things that can pop up around these evolving understandings of gender and identity and i really don't get why people are being complete a holes about this in both directions. what happened to talking about things in rational ways.

Deputy Wendell

i've got a bulletin for you...wrestling is not a team sport...when you're out there on the mat with another guy who is quicker and faster than you, there's not a whole hell of a lot a team can do for you

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2533
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
i don't get how people are so confident with these topics and insensitive to people being confused, taking pause, questioning, etc... there's a lot of tricky things that will likely pop up. is it naive or wrong to ask what it means to be a woman in the context of these events? is there some type of definition or qualification or is it simply a matter of someone saying they are a woman when they register? wouldn't that leave open competing in different events as different sexes on different days? would it even be possible to identify as both a man and a woman and compete in both events on the same day. if being both sexes isn't a thing, why not? if someone says they are both who's to say they aren't. if competing at different events as different sexes on different days shouldn't be allowed, why not? do the organizers of the events have any say in these matters being the ones who are creating the categories or is the concept of male and female now essentially unregulated.

there's so many things that can pop up around these evolving understandings of gender and identity and i really don't get why people are being complete a holes about this in both directions. what happened to talking about things in rational ways.

If you are confused and seek answers to these questions, asking them in the middle of a heated discussion might not be the best move. Instead, contact an LGBTQ advocacy group in your area and see if they can help you. I would be interested to find out what your opinion is after talking to them.

In this particular case, however, there should be no confusion if you believe that trans women are women.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

excitableboy

• Rep: 93
Expand Quote

[close]

If you are confused and seek answers to these questions, asking them in the middle of a heated discussion might not be the best move. Instead, contact an LGBTQ advocacy group in your area and see if they can help you. I would be interested to find out what your opinion is after talking to them.

In this particular case, however, there should be no confusion if you believe that trans women are women.

Don't get me wrong I think Silver Man is a salty transphobe but... why shouldn't one ask questions here? It's not even heated at all, unless I'm reading the room poorly.