Author Topic: Tyshawn shots fired at Mikey Alfred and Illegal Civ  (Read 170943 times)

DCLOVE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
Re: Tyshawn shots fired at Mikey Alfred and Illegal Civ
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2022, 10:31:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Though, I admit I haven’t used Lodges very much. I don’t like the porous texture of them.
[close]

It's been my experience that modern Lodge finish sticks way more than smooth vintage cast iron. I'm considering buying a Lodge and resurfacing it with a disk and angle grinder. From reading around a bit it seems like a practical solution considering good cast iron is so expensive these days.

I’m pretty sure I saw a Reddit thread of a guy who’s done this with a few different pans to test it out. If you give it a shot let’s seee the results
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2022, 10:36:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Though, I admit I haven’t used Lodges very much. I don’t like the porous texture of them.
[close]

It's been my experience that modern Lodge finish sticks way more than smooth vintage cast iron. I'm considering buying a Lodge and resurfacing it with a disk and angle grinder. From reading around a bit it seems like a practical solution considering good cast iron is so expensive these days.

I’ve heard of people doing this but it seems easier to track down a vintage Lodge (or other make) pan on eBay or elsewhere, one which is already smooth. Agreed completely about the contemporary Lodge finish - it does get better with use but nothing compares to something slick and smooth straight out of the box.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2022, 10:37:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Huh, I’m intrigued by the carbon steel, especially because they’re more affordable than I thought. I have a vintage Wagner and a griswold. In my opinion, they’re miles better than a lodge and widely available at thrift and antique stores. Though, I admit I haven’t used Lodges very much. I don’t like the porous texture of them.

Regarding pizza stone vs cast iron pizza: I do both but I think I’m starting to like cast iron better. My sense is that it preheats faster, so you get a crispier crust without having to preheat a stone for forever.
[close]

I'm so jealous of people saying they find cast iron at local thrift shops. I'm in LA and people have made thrifting their job now so shit gets snatched up so quick
[close]

I’m surprised to hear that there’s a lot of resale value in rusty Lodge pans. I guess maybe people who operate booths in antique malls or at flea markets grab them, because selling them on eBay is usually cost-prohibitive unless you’re talking Le Creuset money.

Theres a guy who only sells refurbished 50+ year old cast irons at my local flea and its the busiest booth there. I remember him talking to me how vintage cast irons are better quality than new ones?

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2022, 10:52:07 AM »
Expand Quote
You don't need to eat meat to love cast iron. I've been vegetarian for ~25 years and I use my cast iron at least once a day to cook eggs. If I were scrambling tofu, I'd use the same pan in the same way. Anything you cook in a pan, you can cook with cast iron!

What are everyone's thoughts on "Ceramic" coated pans? It seems like ceramic in this case is a misnomer and there's still a polymer coating being applied to the pan, but it's incredibly hard to get a straight answer about what "ceramic" is supposed to mean here. They claim to be PFOA-free, but we all know that we're ~10-15 years away from finding that whichever polymer we are told was safe to be lowering our sperm counts to 0. In my case, we bought some Costco Ceramic pans. They work well enough, but definitely leave me wondering.
[close]

What's your tofu scramble recipe? I use nutritional yeast, paprika and tumeric + some veggies but wanna hear some other recipes.
You didn't ask me, but I'll butt in anyways cause I love a good tofu scramble lol. I usually do onion, garlic, ginger, and whatever veggies I have around. I'll season it with some turmeric, curry powder, paprika, and maybe some spike or just salt and pepper. Once everything is almost cooked, I'll pour in some bragg sauce and let it cook down. Soy sauce also works but something about the bragg sauce tastes better with the seasonings and feels like it's better for me. I'll usually garnish it with nutritional yeast and cilantro if I have it.

It's one of my go to breakfast or lunches to make. It's pretty quick and simple and it feels healthier than a lot of the other things I would make. Would definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't tried it before! 

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2196
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2022, 11:31:02 AM »
Expand Quote
a dedicated cast iron thread would be really tight
[close]

This is the dedicated cast iron thread

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2022, 11:44:51 AM »
I just want something to grill salmon skin side up

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2022, 11:48:20 AM »
any thoughts on cast i ron grilling grates?

goldfishboot

• Rep: 146
« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2022, 11:51:54 AM »
You haven't heard of the revolution?

companguero

• Rep: 248
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2022, 12:02:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Quote from: BartHarleyJarvis
Because after reading some shitpost, everyone ought to talk about cast iron. So I tried it, well, the rest is history:
I'm still talking about cast iron, I love it, and jgonzalez introduced me to something really good.
And I know now the next question! Knowing you The Mad Rapper, being the poster that you are, digging in deep all the time, you will say now, "What does SLAP think about that?" Let me ask you something: when jgonzalez has introduced me to cast iron posting, what is SLAP going to say? SLAP is not going to say, "jgonzalez made a mistake," because jgonzalez never makes a mistake, so therefore it is okay.
I can cast iron post around SLAP, I can cast iron post in my house ...
first of all because jgonzalez introduced me to cast iron posting, and second of all because I'm a stud. I’m ballsy. I don’t take no shit from anyone..
I cast iron post anywhere I want! I don’t have to find a hideout place like you! HO HO HO

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #159 on: May 25, 2022, 07:56:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ve heard of people doing this but it seems easier to track down a vintage Lodge (or other make) pan on eBay or elsewhere, one which is already smooth. Agreed completely about the contemporary Lodge finish - it does get better with use but nothing compares to something slick and smooth straight out of the box.

Agreed, it would be easier to just buy a vintage one. I love a project and tinkering with stuff though. Plus I gotta keep myself busy and stimulated, or else boredom and then self-loathing takes hold.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2022, 07:52:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Quote from: BartHarleyJarvis
Expand Quote
Because after reading some shitpost, everyone ought to talk about cast iron. So I tried it, well, the rest is history:
I'm still talking about cast iron, I love it, and jgonzalez introduced me to something really good.
And I know now the next question! Knowing you The Mad Rapper, being the poster that you are, digging in deep all the time, you will say now, "What does SLAP think about that?" Let me ask you something: when jgonzalez has introduced me to cast iron posting, what is SLAP going to say? SLAP is not going to say, "jgonzalez made a mistake," because jgonzalez never makes a mistake, so therefore it is okay.
I can cast iron post around SLAP, I can cast iron post in my house ...
first of all because jgonzalez introduced me to cast iron posting, and second of all because I'm a stud. I’m ballsy. I don’t take no shit from anyone..
I cast iron post anywhere I want! I don’t have to find a hideout place like you! HO HO HO
[close]

LOL. What's happening here. No clue, but thanks? not sure haha.

I went to Marshalls and they sell lodge cookware with superficial manufacturing defects for cheaper. I picked up that double burner griddle the other day and I'm pretty stoked. I've only heated up some tortillas on it so far, but I'm fantasizing about cooking burgers on one end and frying onions on the other. Even bringing it camping to throw atop the grill grate over the campfire. I'm gonna make some pizza on it this coming week. The pan in the pic i just cleaned all the crust off of it. I did some charcoal barbecueing yesterday so after I was done cooking (some marinated chicken and a big ass steak) I put some coals inside of the pan and submerged it in the coals overnight to burn off the crust. Brushed off the crust with steel wool today and Started seasoning it. It's an old one from like the 20s or 30s with the smooth surface you all were talking about. an old roommate left it behind. Stoked to see how it cooks compared to the pieces I have from lodge.

nothing's been the since same

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #161 on: May 29, 2022, 07:16:48 AM »
Thanks @PuffinMuffin for the carbon steel tips, I’m gonna cop one of those asap.

On the topic of pizza, I find that pizzas in my cast irons come out tasting amazing but they sometimes stick and fuck up the seasoning on my pans. Maybe this means my seasoning job wasn’t good enough

And regarding vintage vs new Lodge jawns, funny enough I bought a new Lodge when I moved last year because my old pans were all in transit. It seemed like it was gonna be porous and shitty but after one round of seasoning it’s actually holding up even better than the vintage one I got from my parents. Hard to say if this is because of the pan itself or my seasoning practices or what. I’ll be honest I’m pretty lazy with seasoning so who knows.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1119
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2022, 08:30:10 AM »
Thanks @PuffinMuffin for the carbon steel tips, I’m gonna cop one of those asap.

On the topic of pizza, I find that pizzas in my cast irons come out tasting amazing but they sometimes stick and fuck up the seasoning on my pans. Maybe this means my seasoning job wasn’t good enough

And regarding vintage vs new Lodge jawns, funny enough I bought a new Lodge when I moved last year because my old pans were all in transit. It seemed like it was gonna be porous and shitty but after one round of seasoning it’s actually holding up even better than the vintage one I got from my parents. Hard to say if this is because of the pan itself or my seasoning practices or what. I’ll be honest I’m pretty lazy with seasoning so who knows.

When I do pizza in the cast iron, I always do a little olive oil around the outside edge to get under the dough, I think it helps when it’s ready to pull out, plus a little cornmeal on the bottom of the pan. I get a little bit of dough sticking sometimes but those two things seem to help.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #163 on: June 04, 2022, 10:57:11 AM »
Bumping this thread with more cast iron-related chatter.

My gf got me a new Lodge carbon steel for my birthday. I probably wouldn’t have went with lodge if I bought it myself, but it was a pretty thoughtful gift. Why would a normal sane person know about contemporary Lodge products’ crappy factoring seasoning and porous surface?

So I tried it out today and it’s pretty cool but I think it’s gonna need some help to really kick ass. I read in some Amazon reviews about people sanding down the surface with 200 grit sandpaper to smooth it out a bit. That seems like it would be fine, right? Should I worry about unleashing some sort of fucked up petrochemicals by disrupting the factory-made “seasoning” coating that it comes with?

Also in an attempt to get it improving quickly just to try it out this morning, I rubbed a little oil in and heated it on the stove till it smoked. Now I have some uneven seasoning in the pattern of a stove burner. It makes me realize most of my cast irons have this as well, because I’m not that diligent about taking care of em I guess. But I guess I’m gonna strip it all off and try to get a really proper seasoning job done in the oven sometime soon.

Anyone have thoughts or experience that would be relevant here?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #164 on: June 04, 2022, 11:27:56 AM »

My gf got me a new Lodge carbon steel for my birthday. I probably wouldn’t have went with lodge if I bought it myself, but it was a pretty thoughtful gift. Why would a normal sane person know about contemporary Lodge products’ crappy factoring seasoning and porous surface?

So I tried it out today and it’s pretty cool but I think it’s gonna need some help to really kick ass. I read in some Amazon reviews about people sanding down the surface with 200 grit sandpaper to smooth it out a bit. That seems like it would be fine, right? Should I worry about unleashing some sort of fucked up petrochemicals by disrupting the factory-made “seasoning” coating that it comes with?

Also in an attempt to get it improving quickly just to try it out this morning, I rubbed a little oil in and heated it on the stove till it smoked. Now I have some uneven seasoning in the pattern of a stove burner. It makes me realize most of my cast irons have this as well, because I’m not that diligent about taking care of em I guess. But I guess I’m gonna strip it all off and try to get a really proper seasoning job done in the oven sometime soon.

Yea, always preheat and season in the oven, if you do it over a stovetop it's going to heat unevenly where the flame is. I don't know exactly what Lodge seasons with but I have to imagine it's fairly organic so you should be safe to sandpaper it o...

quackquack

• Rep: -402
« Reply #165 on: June 04, 2022, 11:29:39 AM »

I haven't used a Lodge before, so I'm not sure what the pan's looking like but:

In my experience, most people don't wait long enough when cooking delicate, sticky foods. Chicken/fish skin will naturally start releasing from the pan when they've reached that crispy point. A lot of cooks want to check progress 5ish minutes in, before the skin has done much. I started just teasing my food with tongs to check if it's ready to release.

I start my chicken breasts in a cold, regular-ass pan (with oil in it of course). They never stick because I've learned to 'listen to the skin'.

A good trick if things are sticking is to add a pat of butter - the moisture in it will help deglaze the pan, and pop whatever is stuck, off.

Eggs are where this technique breaks down (all that flipping). If you're trying to cook pancakes/eggs, then my only advice is to season your pan like 5 times and then never, ever, no matter what, no matter what anyone says, or anyone has done, no matter whatever - don't cook anything else in that pan. No meat, no vegetables, no phad pok, just eggys.

credentials: spent 10 years as a professional cooking bitch, several years exclusively using carbon steel.
Oh, the places you'll go.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2022, 11:45:43 AM »
Sweeeet I needed a cast iron thread
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2022, 12:25:02 PM »
I fucked up and grabbed my carbon steel for a stupid ass bertolli bag meal with tomato sauce and a bunch of cheese, and absolutely obliterated the bottom, had to do a salt scrub to really clean all the stuck cheese and shit. Just did absolutely everything wrong possible from grabbing the pan to what I cooked in it to cleaning.

all that being said, after I cleaned it really well, went ahead and re-seasoned with oil and it's good as new.

That's the main thing I try to tell people, even if you totally fuck up somehow, cast iron and carbon steel can always be re-seasoned and saved. All these people that act like you can "ruin" your pans just don't know what they're doing.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #168 on: June 13, 2022, 12:44:35 PM »
Carbon steel and cast iron can be ruined in one very specific way. You must *always* let them cool before washing. It's quiet easy to warp either of these materials by pouring room temperature water all over them when they are still sitting at 350°.

As for sanding or grinding, Lodge claims to use only organic oils to season. From a PDF on their website:

Quote from: Lodge
What oil does Lodge use to season its cookware?

Lodge uses soy-based vegetable oil to season our traditional cast iron and carbon steel cookware in our foundries. There are no synthetic chemicals added at all. The oil is highly refined, and all proteins that cause soy-related allergies are eliminated. The oil is kosher and contains no animal fat, peanut oil, or paints.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #169 on: June 15, 2022, 07:02:36 AM »
Carbon steel and cast iron can be ruined in one very specific way. You must *always* let them cool before washing. It's quiet easy to warp either of these materials by pouring room temperature water all over them when they are still sitting at 350°.

As for sanding or grinding, Lodge claims to use only organic oils to season. From a PDF on their website:

Quote from: Lodge
Expand Quote
What oil does Lodge use to season its cookware?

Lodge uses soy-based vegetable oil to season our traditional cast iron and carbon steel cookware in our foundries. There are no synthetic chemicals added at all. The oil is highly refined, and all proteins that cause soy-related allergies are eliminated. The oil is kosher and contains no animal fat, peanut oil, or paints.
[close]

Heck yeah thanks for the tip
I’m definitely gonna sand my carbon steel down to get it smoother, and then re-season it.

Hey mods can we just change the title of this thread? It’s clearly a cast iron thread now. Who should I tag here

Chapingro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2022, 10:23:48 PM »
I've lived in shared housing/roommate situations forever where i've used my more kitchen-oriented housemates cast iron skillets and am about to move into my first studio apartment -- so grateful i clicked this thread to read the gossip and ended up getting a timely master class in approaches to cast iron

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 104
« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2022, 03:27:05 AM »
every time i see this thread bumped i think there's actually something worth reading but it's just you fucks talking about pots and pans that take more maintenance than an infant child

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #172 on: June 18, 2022, 05:21:34 AM »
every time i see this thread bumped i think there's actually something worth reading but it's just you fucks talking about pots and pans that take more maintenance than an infant child
Have you had an egg and cheese bagel from a cast iron? That you just made? Delicious.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2196
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2022, 05:51:29 AM »
This just in: TJ has signed the 1st team member to the new Brick Underpants team, and it’s none other than the young, rising star Cas Tyern.
Things are looking up, yo’.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #174 on: June 18, 2022, 06:54:09 AM »
This is why we need to change the title

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #175 on: June 18, 2022, 11:34:55 AM »

Personally, I like the extra shit I learn in 75% of the threads on here.  You ever make a breakfast skillet in a cast iron pan? Put some cheese on top and throw the bitch in the oven…. :o

No egg tho. Eggs are weird
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #176 on: June 18, 2022, 11:52:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Personally, I like the extra shit I learn in 75% of the threads on here.  You ever make a breakfast skillet in a cast iron pan? Put some cheese on top and throw the bitch in the oven…. :o

No egg tho. Eggs are weird

The seasoning on your cast iron has to be on point to handle eggs. Or you need a good amount of lard or butter to help

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #177 on: June 18, 2022, 11:59:41 AM »
hash brown on the bottom of the cast iron then crack some eggs on top and youre good.

offtopic but cant stand when people use nonstick for anything other than eggs

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #178 on: June 18, 2022, 12:27:12 PM »
hash brown on the bottom of the cast iron then crack some eggs on top and youre good.

offtopic but cant stand when people use nonstick for anything other than eggs

Totally, I think that’s really the only thing I’ll pull out the non-stick for anymore. Eggs and maybe some one pan freezer meals.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: June 18, 2022, 01:17:15 PM »
Eggs aren’t even that bad if you use enough oil/butter/whatever, but it can be a little excessive if all you wanna do is fry a couple over east or something

But cast iron is dope for an omelette, and that’s a case where using a ton of butter is totally fine

Another tip that my gf’s mom taught me— use half butter and half oil so you get butter flavor plus the better lubrication of a more oily oil.