Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 86439 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #180 on: June 27, 2022, 11:46:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Breaking in new shoes when skating sucks worse than breaking in anything.
[close]
Only thing worse is new shoes/new grip at the same time.
[close]

This +1

I'm convinced that all the "Day In The Life" videos where the skaters setup fresh decks and shoes are BS, no one like the fresh grip + shoes combo
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #181 on: June 28, 2022, 12:52:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

This +1
[close]

I'm convinced that all the "Day In The Life" videos where the skaters setup fresh decks and shoes are BS, no one like the fresh grip + shoes combo

The crazy thing is some people like the pro dudes or top sponos (including some spono / pro guys I know) get so used to it, they find it easier than skating older worn in product.

To live like that huh?!?

Shoes don't get a chance to get old, decks don't go through more than three layers of ply on the tail if they last that long, trucks get changed out before they get a groove in them.  It is a wild ride for some people.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #182 on: June 28, 2022, 12:58:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

This +1
[close]

[close]

The crazy thing is some people like the pro dudes or top sponos (including some spono / pro guys I know) get so used to it, they find it easier than skating older worn in product.

To live like that huh?!?

Shoes don't get a chance to get old, decks don't go through more than three layers of ply on the tail if they last that long, trucks get changed out before they get a groove in them.  It is a wild ride for some people.
Someone needs to check sponsored-skater privilege!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #183 on: June 28, 2022, 05:30:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I microwaved them and made an attempt to stretch them out a bit
[close]

Wait what
[close]

kind of a classic break in trick people do that I've never tried until now. Microwave them for about 30 seconds, walk around in them, maybe do it again. I dunno, it helped and now I'm really enjoying my shoes.
[close]

I don't want my wife strangling me in my sleep for microwaving shoes, I'll stick to walking around the house in them for a few days TYVM.

desperate times calls for desperate measures!

IpathCats

« Reply #184 on: June 28, 2022, 05:54:50 AM »
Man, talk about madness. I slammed super hard on my thunders after riding my new polarizer, not trying to blame the setup for my shortcomings but the difference in turn really fucked me up. Then i watched this, and now i want to put my AF1's back on, someone save me. I'm just trying to remind myself that no setup is gonna make me a cruisy transition ripper like this, I'm doomed to be a flatbar/flatground/ledge guy my whole life.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #185 on: June 28, 2022, 09:44:39 AM »
I'm just trying to remind myself that no setup is gonna make me a cruisy transition ripper like this, I'm doomed to be a flatbar/flatground/ledge guy my whole life.

Not with that attitude
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2022, 10:14:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

This +1
[close]

[close]

To live like that huh?!?

I'm convinced theres a bonus in photo incentives in their contracts for newer gear. These companies want to convince us that fresh gear is the only way these guys are doing these moves.

"+$200 for less than a ply of scrape
+$100 for no ollie holes
minus $50 for each millimeter of wheel worn away"

Vincent Alvarez must owe money every time he gets a photo

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2022, 04:56:13 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm just trying to remind myself that no setup is gonna make me a cruisy transition ripper like this, I'm doomed to be a flatbar/flatground/ledge guy my whole life.

[close]

Not with that attitude

Lolol. I looked at my board with Indy’s and then I pulled out my AF1s and looked at them. I know I will love the turn but be annoyed with QC issues so I think I’ll just stick to Indy’s. Aces just don’t feel as well made as Indy’s but something keeps them in the back of my mind. I think I’m cured… for now.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2022, 05:23:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

This +1
[close]

[close]

To live like that huh?!?

[close]
I'm convinced theres a bonus in photo incentives in their contracts for newer gear. These companies want to convince us that fresh gear is the only way these guys are doing these moves.

"+$200 for less than a ply of scrape
+$100 for no ollie holes
minus $50 for each millimeter of wheel worn away"

Vincent Alvarez must owe money every time he gets a photo

Ha yeah, it seems like polar opposites sometimes, with some guys always riding the absolute freshest everything, but others seem like they really know how to get the most out of every single bit of their setup and gear.

I always liked Vincent for that, among other things, like his switch game on everything.

The consumer orientated first world name dropping / branding is a formidable thing we all just seem to take for granted nowdays, but a little scary when you think about it.

Stickers make the world go round.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #189 on: June 28, 2022, 11:55:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

This +1
[close]

I love new shoes and a new board at the same time. I’ve also always loved the feeling of new grip. The grippier the better imo. I absolutely hate new shoes on an old board. It has never felt right
fuck you bama

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #190 on: June 30, 2022, 06:27:24 AM »
I'm on my 2nd Alltimers deck, which was the same dimensions as the last, but there is something off with it. Wacky pop, I ghost pop alot. It appears to be steeper, by a good margin. How you guys deal with this? I'm tempted to just get a new, instead of "re" learning shit, adapt to the steeper shape

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #191 on: June 30, 2022, 07:08:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

This +1
[close]

[close]
I love new shoes and a new board at the same time. I’ve also always loved the feeling of new grip. The grippier the better imo. I absolutely hate new shoes on an old board. It has never felt right

same here, not knowing whether your going to be slippy longstockings or not with fresh shoes on old grip is a mind fuck when rolling upto bigger things. dont need that in the back of your mind.

however i do tend to break my new shoes in before skating by walking round in them for a week or so that way the flex is there and the materials have broken down enough to session them comfortably, cupsoles especially. its not an open box, put on feet, go roll situation.
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2022, 07:12:07 AM »
I'm on my 2nd Alltimers deck, which was the same dimensions as the last, but there is something off with it. Wacky pop, I ghost pop alot. It appears to be steeper, by a good margin. How you guys deal with this? I'm tempted to just get a new, instead of "re" learning shit, adapt to the steeper shape

I’m not a fan of the steep stuff, but you could try (as you might tried already), adjusting the popping foot placement. As an example, I often skate smaller setups, with ventures or thunders (relevant, tangentially, in that the axles are placed further out towards the tail, making a short tail or nose, shorter), and if I switch to say an ace, my normal popping foot placement of near the tail might not work as well. I try and adjust by moving my foot further down towards the bolts…I’m not nearly a ‘good enough’ skateboarder to have so many opinions, but sometimes that has helped me adjust.
Also, some boards will kind of ‘let go’ and start only wearing sweat pants/mellow out a bit, usually takes a little bit of time tho, few weeks. Leaving the board in the car can result in a mellowing. I haven’t done the whole car on top of the board deal, but I’ve definitely flipped them upside down and bounced in the middle a bit.
Good luck! Nuances like this are best solved by grabbing boards in person. That being said, I can get fairly uncomfortable picking out a deck, in person, and just grab something and bolt, only to later find out that the wb is totally different or whatever.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #193 on: June 30, 2022, 01:24:08 PM »
Guys should I just stop pretending I like the feel of ventures and aces more than Indy? I think I should just go back to what I know and love and focus on just enjoying skating.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #194 on: June 30, 2022, 02:30:18 PM »
Guys should I just stop pretending I like the feel of ventures and aces more than Indy? I think I should just go back to what I know and love and focus on just enjoying skating.
That's what I did. Now I enjoy skating.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #195 on: June 30, 2022, 05:20:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have the opposite issue (I try to skate Indys, to have a more ‘do it all setup’, but prefer, by a long ways, skating venture lo’s/or thunder 147s), but yes, go with what flows.

I’ve been trying to not skate Nikes, and yet, when I wear them, shit goes better. Annoying tbh. Skating my last pair of dunks rn, and yeah, they feel/skate great. From an aesthetic perspective I drastically prefer Last Resorts, and Nike is not tight as far as corporations go, but the kickflips and lack of foot pain…annnnyways.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 723
« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2022, 06:05:28 PM »

You sound like you’re reaching the Indy acceptance phase that many of us have landed in after an arduous (shoutout Conor Oberst) financial journey

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2022, 06:26:24 PM »

Congratulations, you've reached Acceptance. Enjoy it before the next bout of Gear Madness hits and sends you down the spiral of Denial (that it's our gear that is lacking, not our skills).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #198 on: July 01, 2022, 02:59:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m not a fan of the steep stuff, but you could try (as you might tried already), adjusting the popping foot placement. As an example, I often skate smaller setups, with ventures or thunders (relevant, tangentially, in that the axles are placed further out towards the tail, making a short tail or nose, shorter), and if I switch to say an ace, my normal popping foot placement of near the tail might not work as well. I try and adjust by moving my foot further down towards the bolts…I’m not nearly a ‘good enough’ skateboarder to have so many opinions, but sometimes that has helped me adjust.
Also, some boards will kind of ‘let go’ and start only wearing sweat pants/mellow out a bit, usually takes a little bit of time tho, few weeks. Leaving the board in the car can result in a mellowing. I haven’t done the whole car on top of the board deal, but I’ve definitely flipped them upside down and bounced in the middle a bit.
Good luck! Nuances like this are best solved by grabbing boards in person. That being said, I can get fairly uncomfortable picking out a deck, in person, and just grab something and bolt, only to later find out that the wb is totally different or whatever.

I have definitely had some BBS boards that are more mellow (perfect for me) or steeper (difficult for me to say the least) at which time I thought I am either going to give this board away or try something like parking on it.  The parking on it worked with a small car, but even just drive over it often gives it a bit more flex and doesn't feel half as steep as it was before.  I put cardboard or something down on smooth (garage floor) concrete if it is already gripped so it doesn't cause unwanted wear on the grip tape on the ends of the kicks, but for most boards I have done, it works well and had the desired result.  Hot tyres mellow it out a lot faster too, just so you know, but just driving over it slowly is a good start to see.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #199 on: July 01, 2022, 04:16:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I have the opposite issue (I try to skate Indys, to have a more ‘do it all setup’, but prefer, by a long ways, skating venture lo’s/or thunder 147s), but yes, go with what flows.

I’ve been trying to not skate Nikes, and yet, when I wear them, shit goes better. Annoying tbh. Skating my last pair of dunks rn, and yeah, they feel/skate great. From an aesthetic perspective I drastically prefer Last Resorts, and Nike is not tight as far as corporations go, but the kickflips and lack of foot pain…annnnyways.
Yeah I get what you're saying. I really like venture as a company and they work really well for certain things but I feel like I skate better on indys. And as far as shoes I really love halfcabs but I have noticed when I skate in Jordan 1s my kickflips are the best they've ever been.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #200 on: July 01, 2022, 06:51:23 AM »

Just like all BBS they press 4-5 in a stack at a time and can greatly vary. Alltimers tend to be more like a DLX I or II. I fucking hated mine. You need to stand on/compare them to a DLX deck with a numeral for good comparison. I take both and lay one over the other lining up the bolts and looking at the kicks.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #201 on: July 01, 2022, 07:03:43 AM »
If it wasn't for Slap I wouldn't have truck madness. Honestly after recently relapsing and trying Indy, Royal, and Thunder they're all great and I can do all the same shit to varying degrees, but in the end I enjoy the Indy turn, grind, and pop feel. There's nothing wrong with them. Slap has this weird thing sorta like when a teenager won't like anything their parents like out of spite despite knowing that they're right.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #202 on: July 01, 2022, 08:54:14 AM »
I had a legit gear madness nightmare last night. In my dream I set up a new board with giant wheels and giant risers. My board must have been sitting at about knee height. It seemed like an amazing idea and I wanted it to work so badly but pushing was so exhausting I had a full meltdown. Harsh.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #203 on: July 01, 2022, 12:52:50 PM »
I had a legit gear madness nightmare last night. In my dream I set up a new board with giant wheels and giant risers. My board must have been sitting at about knee height. It seemed like an amazing idea and I wanted it to work so badly but pushing was so exhausting I had a full meltdown. Harsh.

I had a dream last night that one of my wheels split in half. Probably because my local just got a huge shipment of spitfires. I almost never have dreams

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #204 on: July 01, 2022, 01:15:35 PM »

I know several people this year who were just like "I give up, I love Indys, I'm just gonna skate these" and every one of them seems pretty happy with their decision. It turns out that after ~45 years, Independent has figured out how to make a decent truck.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2022, 01:43:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know several people this year who were just like "I give up, I love Indys, I'm just gonna skate these" and every one of them seems pretty happy with their decision. It turns out that after ~45 years, Independent has figured out how to make a decent truck.

I rode Indy’s my whole life, then rode Ace for about 5 years. I’m back on Indy’s now because they grind so much better and they don’t have any of the QC issues. I have Ace bushings in my Indy’s now and they turn well enough that I don’t miss Ace

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2022, 02:00:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Congratulations, you've reached Acceptance. Enjoy it before the next bout of Gear Madness hits and sends you down the spiral of Denial (that it's our gear that is lacking, not our skills).
I feel gear madness more closely resembles a Sorry board game. New stage of Indy? Sorry! New manufacturing overseas? Sorry!

Move your piece right back to the beginning
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 02:43:32 PM by layzieyez »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #207 on: July 01, 2022, 02:44:14 PM »
Stay strong through the 4th of July sales my brothers and sisters!

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #208 on: July 01, 2022, 10:09:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I rode Indy’s my whole life, then rode Ace for about 5 years. I’m back on Indy’s now because they grind so much better and they don’t have any of the QC issues. I have Ace bushings in my Indy’s now and they turn well enough that I don’t miss Ace

This. After going back and forth between Indy and ace. Almost buying ventures again. Thinking I could do thunders if I tired it with risers this time I have come to the fact and can fully admit. I just like Indy’s.  I enjoyed aces and they are always a close second but I just can’t deal with the QC.  Nothing feels as good as an Indy and every other truck I try, I try and make it feel like an Indy so why fight it.

Problem is in my head I absolutely love the stock bushings. Perfect amount of loose but I want to go buy the “soft red” and the “super soft white” Indy bushings to really Fuck it up.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #209 on: July 01, 2022, 10:42:09 PM »
Gear Madness if your heart and brain at conflict with each other. Your brain says Indy / Thunder are the safer choice and you've ridden them for the past few years with zero complains. But your hear really want to try those sexy Ventures and Ace trucks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m