Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 93420 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 821
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #930 on: February 22, 2023, 04:08:57 AM »
Alright, I didn’t think I’d go cuckoo on this shit but I am, so some insights until I can test out my madness, 4 days from now.

I retired my last set of very ground down 149s in favour of bumping up to 159s for grind clearance on the one spot I still routinely skate.

I skated this place for years on my last trucks and had no issue, I just never fully locked into this one curb and I wanted that shit locked in, the 159s do that but everything else felt off ever so slightly.

I’ve had the grand idea now that when I really need is to push my wheels out with washers so I can get more truck millimetres to grind and that might just lock me in. I
fully intend on biking to the spot with this new set of 149s with 3 washers inside to place atop my elusive curb and bring the 159 hangers with me in case this shit blows up in my face.

This is probably the longest thing I’ve posted on SLAP. Thank you for your time.

You can def do this and most axles will let you get 3-4 rings on, but just be careful not to use old nuts with blown out nylock and keep an eye on it if you're doing slappies. When the nut is flush it doesn't take much to loosen it up and, trust me on this one, it's not fun to randomly slam and then as you're laying there dazed wondering what the fuck happened see your wheel roll past all on its own, then spend the next half hour futilely backtracking and trying to find your axle nut.

IpathCats

« Reply #931 on: February 22, 2023, 04:45:21 AM »
Alright, I didn’t think I’d go cuckoo on this shit but I am, so some insights until I can test out my madness, 4 days from now.

I retired my last set of very ground down 149s in favour of bumping up to 159s for grind clearance on the one spot I still routinely skate.

I skated this place for years on my last trucks and had no issue, I just never fully locked into this one curb and I wanted that shit locked in, the 159s do that but everything else felt off ever so slightly.

I’ve had the grand idea now that when I really need is to push my wheels out with washers so I can get more truck millimetres to grind and that might just lock me in. I fully intend on biking to the spot with this new set of 149s with 3 washers inside to place atop my elusive curb and bring the 159 hangers with me in case this shit blows up in my face.

This is probably the longest thing I’ve posted on SLAP. Thank you for your time.

Using extra washers on the inside bearing not only gives you a bit more hanger space, but it also can make your axle nut flush which makes it harder to fuck up the threads on. Also looks nice imo.

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
« Reply #932 on: February 22, 2023, 07:31:14 AM »
Gonna set up a depop in the next week or so. Felt like I was literally losing my mind due to madness, so I’m gonna stick with 8.5 FA/Hockey, Indy 159 Hollows, and Spitfire tablets for now. Not sure how much it’ll be to ship decks, if it’s too expensive I may drop them off at my local, maybe stagger them so one person doesn’t grab ‘em all.

Honestly, the only things I may be able to sell are these Welcome twin tails and size 13 Tyshawn’s (Tiago’s look more comfy and I unironically love #NB).

Yesterday I saw Kelly Hart’s setup video on YouTube. I imagine a lot of pros ride the same shape for as long as possible. I’ve started to think about it like having a job—it’d be annoying to learn a new system every week. Like going from MacOS, Windows, then Linux and back multiple times a month lol. Over a decade ago I realized that Mac is my preferred system and I’ve been with them ever since. Time to do the same with skateboarding 😅

TL;DR: I’m done lol

IpathCats

« Reply #933 on: February 22, 2023, 07:41:42 AM »
Gonna set up a depop in the next week or so. Felt like I was literally losing my mind due to madness, so I’m gonna stick with 8.5 FA/Hockey, Indy 159 Hollows, and Spitfire tablets for now. Not sure how much it’ll be to ship decks, if it’s too expensive I may drop them off at my local, maybe stagger them so one person doesn’t grab ‘em all.

Honestly, the only things I may be able to sell are these Welcome twin tails and size 13 Tyshawn’s (Tiago’s look more comfy and I unironically love #NB).

Yesterday I saw Kelly Hart’s setup video on YouTube. I imagine a lot of pros ride the same shape for as long as possible. I’ve started to think about it like having a job—it’d be annoying to learn a new system every week. Like going from MacOS, Windows, then Linux and back multiple times a month lol. Over a decade ago I realized that Mac is my preferred system and I’ve been with them ever since. Time to do the same with skateboarding 😅

TL;DR: I’m done lol

godspeed solider

LebowskisRug

« Reply #934 on: February 22, 2023, 09:25:38 AM »
I tried a Baker 8.25 recently on forged hollows and a couple things were nice on it, but man- I hated it. Thunders on that deck instantly made it better. Debating trying standard Indys on it even tho historically speaking I haven't skated as well on them and have a nice happy place home with my Thunder and Venture setups. I think its cognitive dissonance on that I know Indys turn well and that's cool, but I want to be able to skate them well since everyone else out there seems to.

IpathCats

« Reply #935 on: February 22, 2023, 09:34:47 AM »
I tried a Baker 8.25 recently on forged hollows and a couple things were nice on it, but man- I hated it. Thunders on that deck instantly made it better. Debating trying standard Indys on it even tho historically speaking I haven't skated as well on them and have a nice happy place home with my Thunder and Venture setups. I think its cognitive dissonance on that I know Indys turn well and that's cool, but I want to be able to skate them well since everyone else out there seems to.

I cant imagine you will enjoy the weight of an indy standard if your comfort zone is thunders.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #936 on: February 22, 2023, 10:00:30 AM »
The baker 8.25  + Thunders messes with my manual point, I can get used to it, but it throws me off.

I was going to pick one up (I ditched my last one after a week or so) but all the newer ones are listed as 31.5", too short.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 10:32:01 AM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #937 on: February 22, 2023, 11:06:13 AM »
Ya it's still not my absolute favorite for sure but it went from being legit annoyed skating it to "meh, I can live with this for a bit". That is until I slapped on my normal BBS 8.38 and was like 'fuuuuuckin nice, I'm home'

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2002
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #938 on: February 22, 2023, 05:11:18 PM »
Ya it's still not my absolute favorite for sure but it went from being legit annoyed skating it to "meh, I can live with this for a bit". That is until I slapped on my normal BBS 8.38 and was like 'fuuuuuckin nice, I'm home'

Dat feel when all the gear madness pays off
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #939 on: February 22, 2023, 09:12:21 PM »

Dat feel when all the gear madness pays off

I skated the Anti Hero True Fit 8.5 yesterday for the first time. I landed an impossible first try.

Last one I tried was probably in August. 

Gear Madness.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #940 on: February 23, 2023, 11:46:26 AM »
I just won a set of trucks and I feel like the circle of madness is closed.
I won thunder hollow lights, and my madness started 3 years ago after thunder sent me hollow lights instead of titaniums and I somehow couldn't handle them. But the trucks were never the problem, I switched wheel size at the same time but thought the weight is throwing me off...Idiot. Ended up selling the hollow lights.

After that happened, I basically bought every truck in order to find out what could replace my titaniums in terms of pop feel. The solution was never found. But now I'm much more wise and know that hollow lights pretty much feel exactly the same as the titaniums if I use the same wheel size.

Gonna skate thunder hollow lights and titaniums forever now. Haven't felt like switching trucks for months and I'm progressing much faster because of that. Sold most of my non-thunder trucks and gonna give the rest away.

TLDR:
1. Never switch 2 components of your setup at the same time.
2. Stick to what you're used to if you want to progress.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #941 on: February 23, 2023, 07:03:35 PM »

It's funny, the top deck on this stack is from Madness, and it's my least favorite. Guess that was another sign. Felt good dismantling four setups. You'd think I wouldn't order any more decks, but I just bought two 8.5 Hockey ones (gonna stick with that shape for the rest of 2023) 🥴

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #942 on: February 23, 2023, 07:19:52 PM »

It's funny, the top deck on this stack is from Madness, and it's my least favorite. Guess that was another sign. Felt good dismantling four setups. You'd think I wouldn't order any more decks, but I just bought two 8.5 Hockey ones (gonna stick with that shape for the rest of 2023) 🥴

I've dismantled all but one board and dropped a ton of 'I'll never skate this/these again' parts of all types off at various spots to slowly de-pop.

What I need to do next is sell off some unused Venture (x2) and Thunders....and some used 161 thunders that are just sitting there taking up space...maybe those IKP royals I don't skate since I move to hollow platets....ugh

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2002
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #943 on: February 23, 2023, 08:32:57 PM »

I count 17 boards on that stack, I'm probably just as deep on boards. Got some Indy TI and Mids on impulse last week, now I'm regretting it because I ride nothing but Ventures and all my tricks are feeling so dialed on them. At least 10 sets of SML wheels, some Spitfire, Dialtone and NFG wheels. And a box of 20 sheet Iron Horse grip for consistency.

Work has been catching up so I have less time to browse deals online, been averaging 3-4 sessions a week so I've worried less about my setup.

@Xen hit me up if you're planning on selling those Ventures.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #944 on: February 23, 2023, 08:37:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've dismantled all but one board and dropped a ton of 'I'll never skate this/these again' parts of all types off at various spots to slowly de-pop.

What I need to do next is sell off some unused Venture (x2) and Thunders....and some used 161 thunders that are just sitting there taking up space...maybe those IKP royals I don't skate since I move to hollow platets....ugh
Yeah I’m giving some stuff away and trying to sell what I can. It’s just gonna be a hassle to ship the decks.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #945 on: February 23, 2023, 08:44:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I count 17 boards on that stack, I'm probably just as deep on boards. Got some Indy TI and Mids on impulse last week, now I'm regretting it because I ride nothing but Ventures and all my tricks are feeling so dialed on them. At least 10 sets of SML wheels, some Spitfire, Dialtone and NFG wheels. And a box of 20 sheet Iron Horse grip for consistency.

Work has been catching up so I have less time to browse deals online, been averaging 3-4 sessions a week so I've worried less about my setup.

I’m trying to stay busy, cause when I get bored I fired up Tactics now instead of IG, which leads to impulse buying. Like today I have the urge to stock up on these OJ Hardline wheels cause I lowkey like them more than Spitfires. But I’m fighting the urge. I’ll just replace my current wheels when they hit 48-49mm.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1133
« Reply #946 on: February 23, 2023, 08:53:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What’s the go to setup

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #947 on: February 23, 2023, 08:56:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I’m trying to stay busy, cause when I get bored I fired up Tactics now instead of IG, which leads to impulse buying. Like today I have the urge to stock up on these OJ Hardline wheels cause I lowkey like them more than Spitfires. But I’m fighting the urge. I’ll just replace my current wheels when they hit 48-49mm.

I for SURE check skateshop sites WAAAAAAY more than lamestagram...

Shipping decks is never worth it (unless we're talking classic/rares/wall hangers), I'd rather dump them at a spot or give them someone at the park who needs it.

I've been pretty good lately....went back to indys, x97s and back up to an 8.25 after a stint on an 8.125 (though I did buy an extra of that 8.125 off ebay cuz cheap and it's sooo good).

Was on thunders and 99 spits (8.25SE real) and things were 'fine' I skated well but it just felt 'fine' it didn't feel comfy or special....threw on indys and x97s and skated the same but it was so much easier to skate (if heavier) and if felt sweet under feet, which to me, is better than 'fine' ya know?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #948 on: February 23, 2023, 09:28:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

I for SURE check skateshop sites WAAAAAAY more than lamestagram...

Shipping decks is never worth it (unless we're talking classic/rares/wall hangers), I'd rather dump them at a spot or give them someone at the park who needs it.

I've been pretty good lately....went back to indys, x97s and back up to an 8.25 after a stint on an 8.125 (though I did buy an extra of that 8.125 off ebay cuz cheap and it's sooo good).

Was on thunders and 99 spits (8.25SE real) and things were 'fine' I skated well but it just felt 'fine' it didn't feel comfy or special....threw on indys and x97s and skated the same but it was so much easier to skate (if heavier) and if felt sweet under feet, which to me, is better than 'fine' ya know?

Totally.
Sometimes I just need to feel something. Just a little spark. I love skateboarding, but the mountain of crap I need to wade thru, to go suck/hurt, we’ll sometimes it helps to be stoked on the setup(s).

I’ve been pretty stuck on 8s, and lo setups.
When the anxiety in my life, in general, raises, then my internet time/desire to change my skateboard (or bike) goes way up.
Right now I’m thinking about going back to spending some time with a griffin Gass shape, wthunder 149s (have) and some x97 52s (want).

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #949 on: February 24, 2023, 03:28:21 AM »
For me changing setups has given an easy way to be stoked on skating. Typing this out it feels like a completely stupid way of thinking but I think there is quite a bit of that happening for me at least.

I have my go to tricks that I can do quite ok. Changing setups makes it interesting for me to see how they work with the different setup. What adjustments I need to make to make the tricks work etc. I’ve been doing that a lot. It just leads me to not really learning new stuff as I spend so much time getting used to different shit.

Why do I do this then? Probably because if something doesn’t work nicely, I can blame it on the setup instead of my lack of skill and determination.

If I’d have the same or at least very similar setup all the time I would probably have to focus more on learning new tricks to keep myself stoked and for some reason that’s not as easy to accept mentally. Couldn’t blame anything except myself then and that’s uncomfortable. So the “madness” for me is at least partially a cop out.

Going forward I will try to focus more on mental strength and accepting my skill level and that it’s ok that I cannot do such and such tricks but I can learn if I want to.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #950 on: February 24, 2023, 03:53:21 AM »
For me changing setups has given an easy way to be stoked on skating. Typing this out it feels like a completely stupid way of thinking but I think there is quite a bit of that happening for me at least.

I have my go to tricks that I can do quite ok. Changing setups makes it interesting for me to see how they work with the different setup. What adjustments I need to make to make the tricks work etc. I’ve been doing that a lot. It just leads me to not really learning new stuff as I spend so much time getting used to different shit.

Why do I do this then? Probably because if something doesn’t work nicely, I can blame it on the setup instead of my lack of skill and determination.

If I’d have the same or at least very similar setup all the time I would probably have to focus more on learning new tricks to keep myself stoked and for some reason that’s not as easy to accept mentally. Couldn’t blame anything except myself then and that’s uncomfortable. So the “madness” for me is at least partially a cop out.

Going forward I will try to focus more on mental strength and accepting my skill level and that it’s ok that I cannot do such and such tricks but I can learn if I want to.
I get that. Skateboards are cheap enough and the configurations are basically endless. So it’s easy to get addicted to swapping shit out. I used to have a bad session, blame it on my gear, then buy something new. It’s why I have some 75mm Thunder Juice wheels that are total overkill lol. I bought them cause I wanted to go faster. Instead of working on my push, I just got bigger wheels 🙃

Just try to accept that there will be bad sessions.

But, but, I do get the fun in trying the same tricks on new setups. It can be a fun challenge for when things get stale.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #951 on: February 24, 2023, 07:33:40 AM »
Since there is some talk about madness sources, and existential roles it fills, I'll add this...

Long, long, long ago I figured out what my "grail" set-up was. I have been consistently riding that ever since. But sometimes I get these crazy notions that I should try different equipment (and often it's equipment that I've previously tried, and dismissed, before). I've done this enough times over the years to clearly, conclusively, and decidedly know with acute conviction that dropping my wheelbase down is not going to really have any substantive impact on my meager 360 flips. I'll fight the urge to (re)buy something I've had before (and then given away after I've again concluded it's "not for me."). Usually I can fight the urge off, but sometimes the only way out is through...and then I suddenly find myself with some new gear.

The question is why. Why does this madness happen, even if the outcome is pretty much predetermined, and known?

I wrestled with this awhile. One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different results. Did I really think that trying Product Y for the Xth number of times was suddenly going to make it "functional"? Was I insane?

Somewhere along the line I figured out what was really going on, and this has helped me make some peace with the process (when it inevitably happens again). Thai food is my favorite thing to eat. What would happen if I had it for every single meal? I'd get sick of it, and want some variety. This, I think, is exactly what happens with gear. Sometimes I just get sick of riding the same damn set-up all the time (even if it is my grail set-up), and I just want some variety. The excitement of trying something "different," even if I know it's not going to be as good.   
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #952 on: February 24, 2023, 09:13:25 AM »
Since there is some talk about madness sources, and existential roles it fills, I'll add this...

Long, long, long ago I figured out what my "grail" set-up was. I have been consistently riding that ever since. But sometimes I get these crazy notions that I should try different equipment (and often it's equipment that I've previously tried, and dismissed, before). I've done this enough times over the years to clearly, conclusively, and decidedly know with acute conviction that dropping my wheelbase down is not going to really have any substantive impact on my meager 360 flips. I'll fight the urge to (re)buy something I've had before (and then given away after I've again concluded it's "not for me."). Usually I can fight the urge off, but sometimes the only way out is through...and then I suddenly find myself with some new gear.

The question is why. Why does this madness happen, even if the outcome is pretty much predetermined, and known?

I wrestled with this awhile. One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different results. Did I really think that trying Product Y for the Xth number of times was suddenly going to make it "functional"? Was I insane?

Somewhere along the line I figured out what was really going on, and this has helped me make some peace with the process (when it inevitably happens again). Thai food is my favorite thing to eat. What would happen if I had it for every single meal? I'd get sick of it, and want some variety. This, I think, is exactly what happens with gear. Sometimes I just get sick of riding the same damn set-up all the time (even if it is my grail set-up), and I just want some variety. The excitement of trying something "different," even if I know it's not going to be as good.

I don't think that's similar at all. With thai food, all you do with it is eating it, nothing new. You can (and should...) do a lot of new skating with your current setup though.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #953 on: February 24, 2023, 09:24:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't think that's similar at all. With thai food, all you do with it is eating it, nothing new. You can (and should...) do a lot of new skating with your current setup though.

You are welcome to have different thoughts/opinions. Not everyone has the same madness. That said, the point may have evaded. No analogy is dead-on.

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #954 on: February 24, 2023, 12:27:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You are welcome to have different thoughts/opinions. Not everyone has the same madness. That said, the point may have evaded. No analogy is dead-on.

I appreciated the musing. And found it accurate. I was dubbing my wildly different completes, whilst still attempting the same flatground tricks, a frantic/shitty version of pulling a chico. We’ve seen him nollie-heel a 2x4. I was kinda doing the same shit…’but CAN I KICKFLIP THIS!?’ Much like @Roisto mentioned, there is some letting one self off of the hook of learning new shit. ‘Hey man my trucks are hella loose, of course I can’t (fill in the blank), trucks too loose’/board too wide/narrow/I don’t normally skate 9”s etc.
For me, a huge, central, key component to the madness is the anxiety in my life, outside of skating. I had some personal tragedy in the last week. My posting on slap has increased 10x during this time. I’ve gone from being confident in Skating an 8ish board, on venture lo’s and 50s, to daydreaming about the one 8.5 setup that has worked for me, to contemplating setting up ace classic 55s on a smaller than that popsicle for the good kickflips. Cooked. The buying and giving away only to buy again is some weird consumerism issue I have.
Sometimes I just need some juice, dunno

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #955 on: February 24, 2023, 12:33:53 PM »
...I had some personal tragedy in the last week...

I wish you well.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #956 on: February 24, 2023, 12:54:42 PM »
On some thunder 149s right now and while some flip tricks feel better, I hate landing tricks on these. I have soft aftermarket bushings and they turn ok but I still feel train tracked on these. Either tic tacking out or tipping over. Been hearing tighter, more stable trucks make skating easier but I took a look at all my footage the past year and the best clps with the hardest skating have been on ace af1s. I'm a big dude too so this should make no sense. I think those are my trucks. I have an army of trucks in my closet that I should either give away or forget about.

I really do miss using stuff to its life's end and looking forward to buying new gear. Now if I buy new stuff, it's just stockpiled on ice til I decide my current ride needs something different. I'm sure I'd feel different if I was unable to obtain gear but it really is a mind fuck.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #957 on: February 24, 2023, 01:13:46 PM »
On some thunder 149s right now and while some flip tricks feel better, I hate landing tricks on these. I have soft aftermarket bushings and they turn ok but I still feel train tracked on these. Either tic tacking out or tipping over. Been hearing tighter, more stable trucks make skating easier but I took a look at all my footage the past year and the best clps with the hardest skating have been on ace af1s. I'm a big dude too so this should make no sense. I think those are my trucks. I have an army of trucks in my closet that I should either give away or forget about.

I really do miss using stuff to its life's end and looking forward to buying new gear. Now if I buy new stuff, it's just stockpiled on ice til I decide my current ride needs something different. I'm sure I'd feel different if I was unable to obtain gear but it really is a mind fuck.

I feel this. I haven't really seriously blown out any gear in a couple years. I also noticed that any time I am like "THIS IS IT!" and stockpile a specific shape or truck, I'll end up getting real sick of it real fast.

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #958 on: February 25, 2023, 08:31:39 AM »
I've been skating a DLX deck with a 14.69 wheelbase for the last few weeks and I kinda think I hate it.  I feel like my back truck never gets as high as it used to when I skated boards closer to 14.3-14.5.  Does this sound kinda right?  Like obviously somewhat a skill issue, but since we're in the madness thread, it checks out that a bigger wheelbase would make my ollie laggier right?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #959 on: February 25, 2023, 08:55:26 AM »
I've been skating a DLX deck with a 14.69 wheelbase for the last few weeks and I kinda think I hate it.  I feel like my back truck never gets as high as it used to when I skated boards closer to 14.3-14.5.  Does this sound kinda right?  Like obviously somewhat a skill issue, but since we're in the madness thread, it checks out that a bigger wheelbase would make my ollie laggier right?

Wheelbase, IMHO, is the most important dimension on a deck. Kicktuns to kickflips, you can feel the difference WB makes. Too short and you'll feel really cramped and whippy. My ollies on decks with too short of a WB (for me) feel hobbled, like I can't really explode/tap the power of my legs...like trying to run, but not being allowed to reach full stride/stance. Too long and you'll feel really stretched out and slow, like trying to walk with your feet really wide apart (to the sides). For me, ollies on a deck with too big of a wheelbase feel very sluggish, heavy, and hard. The key is to find your optimal wheelbase for your size, body, and mechanics.

To further off-set this, longer WB decks are generally felt to be better for bigger ramps (more stability), where shorter WB decks are better for tech (can get foot flip board easier). It's all a matter of trial and error until you find what feels the most comfortable/functional to you.