Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90758 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1050 on: April 03, 2023, 07:50:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bought a metal 8.25 Raybourn football and a pair of Ace 44 lows today. It's not a full blown relapse but I'm a little scared...
[close]

TELL ME ABOUT THE TRUCKS

I’ve been pretty good about not buying anything, and pretty bad at just shitposting about being ready to buy something.
But I want those trucks
[close]

Full review soon, just for you. I've only skated them a couple times but I'm gonna hit the slappy curb today if the weather cooperates.

Edit - didn't scroll down to see jsoy chimed in, I'd probably trust his opinion over mine.

From what I've done so far (cruise/commute, and 30 minutes of flat ground) I think that interesting or unique are definitely the right word. I'm used to low trucks that are either mega stable (venture) or snappy and responsive (mini logo) so having loose carvey trucks that close to the ground is a totally new experience for me. Not an unpleasant one though.

Interesting. Thanks for the response!
My main criteria for trucks is the pop, and these probably are not the best…but…in the definition of madness (besides multiple back to back shitposts), for me, is just wanting something different. Just because.

roll_dog

« Reply #1051 on: April 03, 2023, 01:13:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Had a meh day at the skatepark and now I'm thinking about going up to 169s.
[close]

Having a meh day and wanting to switch it up is my mo

What are you hoping will happen with 169s?
When I’ve setup shit that big, it’s always been…because I saw someone else do it, and/or I just thought it would look cool.
Bigger has never led to more performance, for me

So for the last year and a half I've been on basically the same setup, polar 8.625 on 159s. I set up a madness 8.75 and just didn't have a great session on it. I'm wondering if bigger trucks would make grinds and stalls a little easier. Could be that I just don't like the deck though.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1052 on: April 03, 2023, 05:14:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

When I’ve setup shit that big, it’s always been…because I saw someone else do it, and/or I just thought it would look cool.
[close]

So for the last year and a half I've been on basically the same setup, polar 8.625 on 159s. I set up a madness 8.75 and just didn't have a great session on it. I'm wondering if bigger trucks would make grinds and stalls a little easier. Could be that I just don't like the deck though.

Very different feel of BBS wood to Dwindle wood to start with, but then there are also going to be differences in board dimensions, which could be affecting things just as much as the different concaves and feel of the board. 

*  From one of the most felxible boards, especially if older in the BBS wood, to the stiffest of the major brands in Dwindle, with almost zero give at all.

How do the dimensions compare?

Wheelbase in particular, but also tail length and angle if you put your old deck on top of the new deck?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

texasplant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #1053 on: April 03, 2023, 09:48:46 PM »
Would you guys say that shoulder/hip width is more important than height when it comes to wheelbase?

I’ve found two boards that work for me extremely well, though they’re on complete different spectrums. Crail Couch 9x32x13.875 and the DLX 8.38x32.25x14.5. Both on aces.

I’m only 5”4 and light as hell but have quite a wide stance. I have no idea why these in particular work for me and I’m still trying to work out what to stick with as I’m sick of having two setups.

Cross posting this from another thread that wasn’t really suitable for the question…

I am just genuinely confused how these two completely different boards work well for me.

IpathCats

« Reply #1054 on: April 04, 2023, 06:07:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Would you guys say that shoulder/hip width is more important than height when it comes to wheelbase?

I’ve found two boards that work for me extremely well, though they’re on complete different spectrums. Crail Couch 9x32x13.875 and the DLX 8.38x32.25x14.5. Both on aces.

I’m only 5”4 and light as hell but have quite a wide stance. I have no idea why these in particular work for me and I’m still trying to work out what to stick with as I’m sick of having two setups.
[close]

Cross posting this from another thread that wasn’t really suitable for the question…

I am just genuinely confused how these two completely different boards work well for me.

sounds like you're just not as picky as some people on here (myself included).

I would stick with the 8.38 DLX if I was you, mainly because of availability. You could probably walk into any legit skateshop at any time and find that shape, no prob. I'm also a huge fan of that shape, but im trying to leave my bias out of this.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1055 on: April 04, 2023, 06:45:56 AM »
I'm kind of anal retentive about my ideal setup in that I want all tricks to work as best as possible. More normal people are fine with a few things being less good and others being better. That's kinda where madness can start. It's likely you just don't have the madness.

I agree that if you want 1 setup go with the one that has the best availability, graphics, and makes you stoked. If my best shape was something I wasn't really into it for whatever reason I'd likely never be truly happy skating it cuz some days I just like doing really simple shit and being happy that I can still skate and that plays a role.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1056 on: April 04, 2023, 08:11:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Fact: Wider trucks have more "lateral slide" during grinds/stalls.
Subjective Perspective: That "lateral slide" is a good/bad thing.

I have two set-ups:
-DLX 8.25" w/144s
-DLX 8.75" w/159s

Generally, I like the 8.25" better for most grinds* than the 8.75". Why? Because the 8.25" "locks in" quicker, faster, and more concisely than the 8.75". However, if I drop down to an 8.0" with 139s, I find that to be far too "tight rope" getting into grinds, etc. There is a balance between too narrow, and too wide. Where that is, and under what circumstances, is for you to find out. Welcome to The Madness. :)

*The 8.75" is waaaay better for ledge Smith grinds.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 08:18:42 AM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1057 on: April 04, 2023, 09:48:16 AM »
Can anyone psychologically break this down? Because that’s what it is…..

I feel unhappy, I need to change my gear…..takes one to know one….

IpathCats

« Reply #1058 on: April 04, 2023, 09:55:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Fact: Wider trucks have more "lateral slide" during grinds/stalls.
Subjective Perspective: That "lateral slide" is a good/bad thing.

I have two set-ups:
-DLX 8.25" w/144s
-DLX 8.75" w/159s

Generally, I like the 8.25" better for most grinds* than the 8.75". Why? Because the 8.25" "locks in" quicker, faster, and more concisely than the 8.75". However, if I drop down to an 8.0" with 139s, I find that to be far too "tight rope" getting into grinds, etc. There is a balance between too narrow, and too wide. Where that is, and under what circumstances, is for you to find out. Welcome to The Madness. :)

*The 8.75" is waaaay better for ledge Smith grinds.

Thats weird/interesting/strangely specific to my experience. I was riding 8.75's for a while with 159 indy titaniums. I did more smiths on those setups than any other. they just worked so nicely.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1059 on: April 04, 2023, 10:14:49 AM »
Following up on my Blazer problem.

I got paid last week so number 1 was getting some shoes that fit better.

I slinked my way back to the Rowans and they immediately felt better out of the box than ~2weeks of breaking in the GTs. The Vans store had a buy on, get one 50% off, so I ended up with a pair on ice.

Guess I'm gonna keep buying em as long as they make em.
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #1060 on: April 04, 2023, 01:57:56 PM »

Fundamentally we're no different from the guys with 2000 video games and 100 consoles they'll never play.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1061 on: April 04, 2023, 02:12:03 PM »
I actually think we’re different….I’m not really a collector….some new truck colorway does nothing for me, but I do incessantly look at what my current truck or set up is not doing…..

I switch and miss what my last set up did for me….

I’m also prone to the idea of something which I don’t necessarily have a skill set for or, I ultimately will never use…I’m also subject to the influence of marketing!  So I guess you’re partially right.  I usually don’t sit on trucks for very long…..not literally….

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #1062 on: April 04, 2023, 07:02:58 PM »

My main criteria for trucks is the pop, and these probably are not the best…but…in the definition of madness (besides multiple back to back shitposts), for me, is just wanting something different. Just because.

They're definitely something different, but whether that's an improvement or not is obviously gonna be subjective. Pop feels really really good on an 8.25 Raybourn bbs football, but it's also a fairly mellow bbs board (probably a IV in the dlx system).

As expected it's very responsive, your tail hits the ground quickly and you can get a surprisingly strong pop without a lot of effort. I'm not sure if it's the deck or trucks but my flip tricks (all 3 of them) were spinning with such a tight spiral you'd think Dan Marino was involved. I landed a double heel flip for the first time in at least 15 years by accident and was even getting seated kickflips at the bus stop to level out and those are always rocket. Landed a clean big spin second try and stuff like front shuvs sucked up to my feet in a way they rarely do. I might have just been having a really good day though, so I'm not going to declare them my new every day truck just yet but they felt great

I didn't make it out to the slappy spot so I still don't really know how they grind but the turn and pop are both living up to the pretty lofty expectations I had for these. One thing to be aware of though is you really need to skate 52s or smaller unless you plan on really cranking them down. I have mine pretty tight and Ill bite on 53mm jivaro conicals if I put my full weight into it. Im probably going to put on some 51mm snots at some point.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1063 on: April 04, 2023, 08:26:07 PM »
A few dudes that skate the same spots I used to all got Ace lows and rode them decently tight and love them. All ledge skaters that like tech stuff so not tons of turning but their glowing review has tempted me.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1064 on: April 04, 2023, 09:31:06 PM »
A few dudes that skate the same spots I used to all got Ace lows and rode them decently tight and love them. All ledge skaters that like tech stuff so not tons of turning but their glowing review has tempted me.

Fuck. I’m doomed

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1065 on: April 04, 2023, 09:35:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They're definitely something different, but whether that's an improvement or not is obviously gonna be subjective. Pop feels really really good on an 8.25 Raybourn bbs football, but it's also a fairly mellow bbs board (probably a IV in the dlx system).

As expected it's very responsive, your tail hits the ground quickly and you can get a surprisingly strong pop without a lot of effort. I'm not sure if it's the deck or trucks but my flip tricks (all 3 of them) were spinning with such a tight spiral you'd think Dan Marino was involved. I landed a double heel flip for the first time in at least 15 years by accident and was even getting seated kickflips at the bus stop to level out and those are always rocket. Landed a clean big spin second try and stuff like front shuvs sucked up to my feet in a way they rarely do. I might have just been having a really good day though, so I'm not going to declare them my new every day truck just yet but they felt great

I didn't make it out to the slappy spot so I still don't really know how they grind but the turn and pop are both living up to the pretty lofty expectations I had for these. One thing to be aware of though is you really need to skate 52s or smaller unless you plan on really cranking them down. I have mine pretty tight and Ill bite on 53mm jivaro conicals if I put my full weight into it. Im probably going to put on some 51mm snots at some point.

Thank you!!
Been awhile since I’ve had some Jivaro’s. I really could stop only skating f4s.
Anyway, the whole kit looks nice!
I appreciate your review. Unfortunately, I infrequently skate wheels bigger than 53. I think it’s the weight? I dunno. Something. I hate barely moving on crusty roads, but I hate looking at big wheels more. Moronic behavior on my part.
I just ‘need’ to take the plunge and give the lows a shot.
Thanks again

IpathCats

« Reply #1066 on: April 05, 2023, 06:04:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fundamentally we're no different from the guys with 2000 video games and 100 consoles they'll never play.

.....fuck

roll_dog

« Reply #1067 on: April 05, 2023, 09:09:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Very different feel of BBS wood to Dwindle wood to start with, but then there are also going to be differences in board dimensions, which could be affecting things just as much as the different concaves and feel of the board. 

*  From one of the most felxible boards, especially if older in the BBS wood, to the stiffest of the major brands in Dwindle, with almost zero give at all.

How do the dimensions compare?

Wheelbase in particular, but also tail length and angle if you put your old deck on top of the new deck?

I lined them up today and sure enough the madness deck is noticably shorter in the nose and tail. That might explain it. Good looking out.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 03:12:29 PM by roll_dog »

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #1068 on: April 05, 2023, 12:37:42 PM »

Set this up. I normally ride an 8.5 with 159 Indy Hollows. This is an 8.25 with 148 Thunders. Good Lord, the pop on this was insane. Pairing the 148 with a nearly flat Toy Machine deck had me flying 😖

With is fun, but I had less control. Was toe tapping everywhere.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1069 on: April 05, 2023, 05:10:45 PM »

Set this up. I normally ride an 8.5 with 159 Indy Hollows. This is an 8.25 with 148 Thunders. Good Lord, the pop on this was insane. Pairing the 148 with a nearly flat Toy Machine deck had me flying 😖

With is fun, but I had less control. Was toe tapping everywhere.

Sounds very rad

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1070 on: April 05, 2023, 05:57:32 PM »

sounds like you're just not as picky as some people on here (myself included).

I would stick with the 8.38 DLX if I was you, mainly because of availability. You could probably walk into any legit skateshop at any time and find that shape, no prob. I'm also a huge fan of that shape, but im trying to leave my bias out of this.

I'm kind of anal retentive about my ideal setup in that I want all tricks to work as best as possible. More normal people are fine with a few things being less good and others being better. That's kinda where madness can start. It's likely you just don't have the madness.

I agree that if you want 1 setup go with the one that has the best availability, graphics, and makes you stoked. If my best shape was something I wasn't really into it for whatever reason I'd likely never be truly happy skating it cuz some days I just like doing really simple shit and being happy that I can still skate and that plays a role.

I think I needed to hear this, thanks. I get a lot of anxiety about skating some of the 'weirder' shapes due to availability and have never really thought of it this way. I've definitely always been able to find the DLX shape in store nearby, whereas I've had to hunt/stock up on the football shapes.

slapattack

• Rep: 14
« Reply #1071 on: April 06, 2023, 05:29:34 AM »
Thought I had defeated my madness but I was struggling with pop so I switched from forged 149 indys on ishod tt 8.38 to limosine 8.5 with venture 5.8 casts and I crooked this tall ledge I couldn't previously get onto first try yesterday. IDEK anymore

eSK3

« Reply #1072 on: April 07, 2023, 01:44:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bought a metal 8.25 Raybourn football and a pair of Ace 44 lows today. It's not a full blown relapse but I'm a little scared...
[close]

TELL ME ABOUT THE TRUCKS

I’ve been pretty good about not buying anything, and pretty bad at just shitposting about being ready to buy something.
But I want those trucks
[close]

Skated a set for over 6 months. The grind is soft but fast and they seem to wear down faster than Indy imo
[close]

What did you switch to? I don’t need my stuff to last forever (I’m old, don’t have that much skate time left)

I went back to Indy then settled on Venture low with medium bones bushings.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1073 on: April 07, 2023, 07:03:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

TELL ME ABOUT THE TRUCKS

But I want those trucks
[close]

Skated a set for over 6 months. The grind is soft but fast and they seem to wear down faster than Indy imo
[close]

What did you switch to? I don’t need my stuff to last forever (I’m old, don’t have that much skate time left)
[close]

I went back to Indy then settled on Venture low with medium bones bushings.

Yeah hard to beat the venture lo

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1074 on: April 08, 2023, 07:18:22 AM »
Maybe I'm becoming slightly more sane, but I am starting to think that unless you go really extreme in deck dimensions, trucks are mostly going to be the same for you across a general range of decks. If you like how they feel on 14.25, they shouldn't feel insane on 14.3. Of course if you have 14.6 with Ventures and throw Aces on you're dealing with polar opposites and ya they'll be different.

I've had roughly the same range of decks the last few years and had Indy and Thunder on them mostly with Ventures here and there and Royals for a bit. The issues I had with each truck didn't necessarily go away when I changed decks like with Indy Standards I sometimes get nollie ghost pop regardless of shape. I always prefer them to forged on any deck. If I put Ventures on a really short deck, it's still too short because it's not like my limb lengths change and the deck randomly gets longer and my feet are less on the kicks when I land.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1075 on: April 08, 2023, 08:25:31 AM »
...If I put Ventures on a really short deck, it's still too short because it's not like my limb lengths change and the deck randomly gets longer and my feet are less on the kicks when I land.

Related is a concept a few friends and I talk about sometimes. We call it "The Footbed Dimension." It's flat distance between kicks. Truck wheelbase will have zero impact on this. Whereas a mix of deck wheelbase, fingers of flat, and angle of kicks all will impact it. A shorter "footbed" may make you feel too cramped/locked-in. A very long one (e.g. imagine a deck with a flat nose/tail) may feel the opposite. I like flatter boards (DLX IV), and I think part of the reason I like them is because since the have mellower kicks, they have the feel of a longer "footbed," and deck is less twitchy as a result (some may love twitchy, I am just not one of them).     

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1076 on: April 08, 2023, 09:04:41 AM »
I've got a DLX 8.25 IV right now and it's pretty damn solid I must say. I could easily ride this shape for the long term.

manysnakes

« Reply #1077 on: April 08, 2023, 09:13:46 AM »
Maybe I'm becoming slightly more sane, but I am starting to think that unless you go really extreme in deck dimensions, trucks are mostly going to be the same for you across a general range of decks. If you like how they feel on 14.25, they shouldn't feel insane on 14.3. Of course if you have 14.6 with Ventures and throw Aces on you're dealing with polar opposites and ya they'll be different.

My general opinion on this is that there are two main categories of trucks: Indy/Ace style trucks, and Venture/Thunder style trucks. My experience is that it's relatively easy to switch between the related brands of trucks, but it's when you change styles that most skaters will need some time to adjust, or maybe find that they simply do not like that style.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1078 on: April 08, 2023, 09:49:45 AM »
I've got a DLX 8.25 IV right now and it's pretty damn solid I must say. I could easily ride this shape for the long term.

That right there, IMHO, is the best all-around deck ever produced in the history of skateboarding. :)

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1079 on: April 08, 2023, 09:51:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My general opinion on this is that there are two main categories of trucks: Indy/Ace style trucks, and Venture/Thunder style trucks. My experience is that it's relatively easy to switch between the related brands of trucks, but it's when you change styles that most skaters will need some time to adjust, or maybe find that they simply do not like that style.

^ I would agree with that.