Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90786 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1110 on: April 14, 2023, 01:55:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Well what if I told you the DLX 8.25 I'd actually basically 8.38?
[close]

The 8.38 is one of my most hated DLX decks. Won't go near that thing.

What I meant more is the width of the DLX is actually 8.3 and basically identical to the BBS generic 8.38 but the nose is 1/8" longer and tail 1/16" or so shorter

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1111 on: April 14, 2023, 11:03:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fastbreaks?  You can get dunks in classic colors no?
[close]

Fastbreaks or pro leathers would look better.
Good call.

I think you can get dunks in regular colors, when I bought these 3 pairs it was when I couldn’t get dunks very easily and just grabbed whatever they’d sell me in my size.
[close]

Fastbreaks have a worse insole and that stupid nylon material on most models. I wish so badly that converse would fix this shoe, i would probably skate it exclusively if they did.

Those new ones with the boot laces that came out look ok, but its not the time of year for an all black shoe.

Those black ones with the boot laces did look sick.

@camel filters i do love the Tiago’s. Same general issue: larger cupsole shoe (feels great), looks a little off with straight fit trousers.

Thanks ya’ll, I’m just being a nimrod. It’s pretty ‘funny’ how I can get bummed out about this small thing, and uh…maybe I could put some time into switch crooks or something instead

Tre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #1112 on: April 15, 2023, 09:20:26 PM »
Which trucks if any do you think would put less stress on your legs? Maybe make your legs less tired?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1113 on: April 15, 2023, 10:55:22 PM »
Thunders?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1114 on: April 15, 2023, 11:30:08 PM »
Which trucks if any do you think would put less stress on your legs? Maybe make your legs less tired?

What are you skating?  Flat ground, street, parks, ramps?

The combination of trucks and how steep a board is can definitely have an effect, as per some of the more interesting videos from people on youtube and the like.

Steeper kicks and longer wheelbase trucks can mean you will get more height from your ollie, but you have to put more effort into getting it there, which could make your legs more tired.

More mellow boards with trucks that extend the wheelbase the least are way easier to pop but you are going to get less height, but might be easier to skate for longer or put less stress on your legs.

In order of shortest to longest wheelbase from the big brands, Ace, Indy, Thunder, Venture, but then it really comes down to the board as well, how many fingers of flat - distance between bolts and start of kicks - so no fingers of flat and steeper, boards are going to be very heavy feeling to pop, but then too many fingers of flat or very mellow and boards are going to be very light to pop.

Combinations of these will very much make a board heavier or lighter to pop, eg putting Ventures on a very mellow board with a short wheelbase and a lot of flat before the kicks will still make it very light to pop.

Last but not least, the legs themselves - warmups or fitness levels, tightness of trucks, strength of ankles, calves, etc all play a big part in it too.

Gear madness at its finest...

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1115 on: April 16, 2023, 01:12:30 AM »

As posed, the question is nearly impossible to answer, because it presupposes that trucks are the •only• variable; they are not.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 627
« Reply #1116 on: April 16, 2023, 03:52:25 AM »

Ace low or mini logo, but depending on the deck it might be too little stress

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1117 on: April 16, 2023, 06:29:12 AM »

You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1118 on: April 16, 2023, 08:07:57 AM »
i know it's crazy because well....it all matters....we have pages of drivel to support this....

but I kinda think your truck choice will not change whether or not your legs feel tired.....

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #1119 on: April 16, 2023, 08:18:16 AM »
i know it's crazy because well....it all matters....we have pages of drivel to support this....

but I kinda think your truck choice will not change whether or not your legs feel tired.....
Same, within reason. Obviously if you go from high trucks with risers to low ones your legs will be less tired. But I think it’s more important to learn your limits. If a session goes over an hour then I’ll be paying for my sins for a couple days 😅

manysnakes

« Reply #1120 on: April 16, 2023, 08:48:54 AM »

You’re chasing phantoms. Sorry to sound so glib, but if you’re worried about leg stress, go to the gym.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 10:44:17 AM by manysnakes »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1121 on: April 16, 2023, 09:07:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You’re chasing phantoms. Sorry to sounds so glib, but if you’re worried about leg stress, go to the gym.

This is a solid answer.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 49
« Reply #1122 on: April 16, 2023, 09:52:39 AM »

What are you skating?  Flat ground, street, parks, ramps?

The combination of trucks and how steep a board is can definitely have an effect, as per some of the more interesting videos from people on youtube and the like.

Steeper kicks and longer wheelbase trucks can mean you will get more height from your ollie, but you have to put more effort into getting it there, which could make your legs more tired.

More mellow boards with trucks that extend the wheelbase the least are way easier to pop but you are going to get less height, but might be easier to skate for longer or put less stress on your legs.

In order of shortest to longest wheelbase from the big brands, Ace, Indy, Thunder, Venture, but then it really comes down to the board as well, how many fingers of flat - distance between bolts and start of kicks - so no fingers of flat and steeper, boards are going to be very heavy feeling to pop, but then too many fingers of flat or very mellow and boards are going to be very light to pop.

Combinations of these will very much make a board heavier or lighter to pop, eg putting Ventures on a very mellow board with a short wheelbase and a lot of flat before the kicks will still make it very light to pop.

Last but not least, the legs themselves - warmups or fitness levels, tightness of trucks, strength of ankles, calves, etc all play a big part in it too.

Gear madness at its finest...

This is great, thank you! I would like to ask you something and I hope to explain well in English. I have an 8.5” Hockey deck with 14.25” wheelbase. My plan is using some 58mm spitfires. For flat ground and street, what are the best trucks for a snappy pop? I followed the recommendations some users gave me about watching YouTubers that explain this but their set ups were not the same than mine so I still don’t know. Maybe Indy 149 hollows are good? Thank you!

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #1123 on: April 16, 2023, 11:41:45 AM »

Some good insoles are probably goingvto help more.  And switch to cupsoles if you are still skating vulcs.

Liggerz87

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1124 on: April 16, 2023, 12:36:08 PM »
ye I have skate madness lol I bought a complete enjoi then I got 2 slick decks girl and Santa Cruz then bought another complete a cliche one then I bought a heart supply impact light deck got 2 as they were like 34.99 half price I got venture low and sushi trucks also have mag light trucks to and then wheels have nomads the dragons and formula 4 classic and I just bought another deck wknd with independent trucks and formula 4 classics so I have like 8 decks or whatever it is now red board is my first ever one it's like 16 years old made by renner it did have warning this is not a toy but one rippin board but I painted it red lol

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1125 on: April 16, 2023, 03:02:14 PM »
ye I have skate madness lol I bought a complete enjoi then I got 2 slick decks girl and Santa Cruz then bought another complete a cliche one then I bought a heart supply impact light deck got 2 as they were like 34.99 half price I got venture low and sushi trucks also have mag light trucks to and then wheels have nomads the dragons and formula 4 classic and I just bought another deck wknd with independent trucks and formula 4 classics so I have like 8 decks or whatever it is now red board is my first ever one it's like 16 years old made by renner it did have warning this is not a toy but one rippin board but I painted it red lol

Pick one and be done with it. I have four setups, but decided to stick to one 95% of the time. Same with my shoes. Now when something goes wrong I know it’s me, not my gear cause it rarely changes

I only skate 2-3 hours a week, so it makes no sense for me to keep swapping out gear. Progression is all that matters now. At the end of the day, these are all professional quality products and anything can be done on them. Your skill is what matters the most ☺️

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1126 on: April 16, 2023, 08:59:03 PM »

This is great, thank you! I would like to ask you something and I hope to explain well in English. I have an 8.5” Hockey deck with 14.25” wheelbase. My plan is using some 58mm spitfires. For flat ground and street, what are the best trucks for a snappy pop? I followed the recommendations some users gave me about watching YouTubers that explain this but their set ups were not the same than mine so I still don’t know. Maybe Indy 149 hollows are good? Thank you!

Yeah you could start with any 149 Independent trucks and go from there.

Standard / cast baseplates are taller at 55mm, forged baseplates are 53.5mm so on 58mm wheels, unless you like tighter trucks, I would be going with the standard / cast options with those wheels as per some of my own setups, but as each person is different, you might find it works well enough not to worry.  If you want lighter, sure hollow is going to be better and you can always put a thin riser under the forged baseplates if you do need a bit more height.

That is a start anyway.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1127 on: April 16, 2023, 09:42:28 PM »
I'm not trying to troll anyone, but my legs are tired just thinking about that set up......

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1128 on: April 17, 2023, 01:27:39 AM »
I'm not trying to troll anyone, but my legs are tired just thinking about that set up......

Ha yeah, for sure.  Those FA / Hockey boards sure are steep. 

Too steep for my liking, but I know some younger dudes love the steep kicks and get a lot of height over things or up onto things with their bigger wheels on pretty much that sort of setup.

I will take a more mellow deck on smaller wheels any day now for street or flat, only going for bigger wheels and a touch more concave for transition skating, but even then, not as steep as FA / Hockey.

FBC91

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1129 on: April 17, 2023, 03:35:00 AM »
 I just got back into skating at 32 after a 20-year hiatus.  I set up two completes; a mini logo with Indy 144s and a globe resin 7 with thunder 148s.  The globe deck is very steep and takes a lot of effort to pop.  I think the flatter mini logo is better for me and will allow me to skate longer while getting less tired.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1130 on: April 17, 2023, 09:39:18 AM »
I've quelled my madness by skating [a lot] more, close to daily, granted it took skating more with different gear to whittle it down to one key factor:

My confidence level when skating and not necessarily trick success (but obviously this is also key but stems from feeling comfortable on board, for me).

It's taken a few months but I'm in a spot where I am no longer thinking about shape/width/WB, kicks, weight, grind and turn...it's incredibly freeing mentally. There's hope my dudes!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 02:47:37 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1131 on: April 17, 2023, 10:30:52 AM »
That's what happens to me every late Spring/Summer. It's nice and I don't wanna learn or adapt to new gear so I keep the same setup and just skate more. By Fall I feel great, then Winter weather hits and I get bored and curious....

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1132 on: April 17, 2023, 10:48:48 AM »
That's what happens to me every late Spring/Summer. It's nice and I don't wanna learn or adapt to new gear so I keep the same setup and just skate more. By Fall I feel great, then Winter weather hits and I get bored and curious....
Totally. My madness hits in winter, when I’m injured, or when I feel like my life is spiraling out of control 😅

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #1133 on: April 17, 2023, 10:54:44 AM »

Exactly this.

In the fall I was skating great on an 8.25 Palace with 139 Forged Hollows. Fast forward to today and I've just set up an 8.125 Quasi I'd given up on with 144 Forged Hollow Mids and 1/16" risers. 

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1134 on: April 17, 2023, 01:40:25 PM »
1/16" risers are 100% a madness part

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 627
« Reply #1135 on: April 17, 2023, 01:42:07 PM »

They're what made ace af1 lows perfect for me. (Coming from forged thunders)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1136 on: April 17, 2023, 04:44:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

+1 Ace 1/16 risers on the af1 lows; really turned them around (plus the hard bushings)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1137 on: April 17, 2023, 04:58:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

+1 Ace 1/16 risers on the af1 lows; really turned them around (plus the hard bushings)

I’m taking notes

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #1138 on: April 17, 2023, 08:35:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Same, within reason. Obviously if you go from high trucks with risers to low ones your legs will be less tired. But I think it’s more important to learn your limits. If a session goes over an hour then I’ll be paying for my sins for a couple days 😅

and also our ageing body..

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1139 on: April 17, 2023, 08:37:58 PM »
Damn, wouldn't have guessed 1.58mm would be that huge of a difference, but it makes sense if you're really sensitive to the height or getting bad wheelbite.