Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90737 times)

brownjenkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1140 on: April 17, 2023, 09:22:43 PM »
Damn, wouldn't have guessed 1.58mm would be that huge of a difference, but it makes sense if you're really sensitive to the height or getting bad wheelbite.

Definitely. 1.5mm risers are equivalent to changing your wheel size by 3mm when it comes to wheelbite and height.

I noticed the biggest difference when I tried Thunder 147s. Going from Indys to a truck that low made the wheelbite pretty bad for me, even on 52mm wheels. Those little risers made me consider sticking with them for longer.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1141 on: April 17, 2023, 10:11:50 PM »
I noticed PJ rides risers with Venture Low I wonder if they're also smaller ones for this reason.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1142 on: April 18, 2023, 05:54:55 AM »
I noticed PJ rides risers with Venture Low I wonder if they're also smaller ones for this reason.

Now I’m super curious!
Where did you see this? Forged baseplates or cast?

IpathCats

« Reply #1143 on: April 18, 2023, 05:59:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Now I’m super curious!
Where did you see this? Forged baseplates or cast?

I'm not a venture expert, but i dont think they make forged lows.

could be wrong.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1144 on: April 18, 2023, 06:57:16 AM »
They definitely make forged lows.

I saw it just pressing pause on one of his IG reels you can see the black risers.

IpathCats

« Reply #1145 on: April 18, 2023, 07:18:04 AM »

I saw it just pressing pause on one of his IG reels you can see the black risers.

ah yea, they do, check the polished

https://venturetrucks.net/

dont think ive ever seen them in person though.

Venture lows are a pretty rare sighting for me in general.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1146 on: April 18, 2023, 07:47:55 AM »

I’ll check, thanks.
I also do this, the hit pause, or take screen shots and then try and zoom. Totally not kooky or weird or obsessed.

I think Spencer Hamilton had a setup clip many years back with lo’s on risers.
Makes sense, 50mm truck height is sick. It’s why I liked the previous royals, quick easy pop.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1147 on: April 18, 2023, 08:35:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

ah yea, they do, check the polished

https://venturetrucks.net/

dont think ive ever seen them in person though.

Venture lows are a pretty rare sighting for me in general.

Ya dude they are lowwwww. Almost 1cm lower than Indy standard. Nick Matthews runs em.

There's a local at my park that does as well. Rock hard with Bones highs. Dude manages to nollie flip crooks nollie fs flip out on the entire knee height ledge and skates the bowl on em so I guess turning is overrated?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
« Reply #1148 on: April 18, 2023, 09:49:51 AM »
Isn’t Prod’s truck : 5.2 hollow low/forged…his 5.6 is high..

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1149 on: April 18, 2023, 12:17:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
1/16" risers are 100% a madness part
[close]

They're what made ace af1 lows perfect for me. (Coming from forged thunders)
[close]

+1 Ace 1/16 risers on the af1 lows; really turned them around (plus the hard bushings)
[close]

I’m taking notes

Fixed wheelbite for 52mm wheels, 49mm trucks are looooow especially if you ride loose. I had to use the above and 50mm wheels being 190lbs

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #1150 on: April 19, 2023, 01:53:41 AM »
Nothing like an injury to keep gear madness in check. i'm likely out for at least a couple of months. gave a bunch of stuff to my nephew but still feels weird to have a pile of currently useless skate product. will set up a freshie to motivate me to get back on board while re-habbing. might actually sell some other shit...

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1151 on: April 19, 2023, 07:00:07 AM »
really want thunders but i know I can get more life out of my Indy's. its the only truck i dont have. but then i feel like as soon as i acquire the Thunders, I will need to get Slappys... gonna try and keep a policy of not getting something new until the old one is cooked.

Have to take comfort knowing those trucks (at least the thunders) arent going anywhere, they are gonna keep makin em lol...

I cant even remember know why I got half cabs but I might just start skating them from now on if I like them better than the Foy NB# 306. I am super stoked on them though but I am keeping them as chillers til I blow out the Foy's I just started working on.

The other shoe I want to try is Chuck 70s because both of those shoes will always be around... where the Foy might be gone in a couple years (seems like its selling pretty good and will probably stick around for a long time)

IpathCats

« Reply #1152 on: April 19, 2023, 07:20:06 AM »
After fucking with the tightness/bushings on my indys, trying to find that sweet spot of surf/stability, I have put aces back on my regular setup (with a 1/16th riser to make them the same height as the indys i was skating). Hard ace bushings too.

This time i cranked them tighter than i had previously done in an effort to make them more stable while still retaining some surf.

initial roll around the street felt good (but it pretty much always does)

First sesh at the park this afternoon.

God help me.

I know i skate my best on slightly tighter trucks, but i loosened them recently and it was just so much fun. I want the best of both worlds dammit.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1153 on: April 19, 2023, 07:29:47 AM »
Nothing like an injury to keep gear madness in check. i'm likely out for at least a couple of months. gave a bunch of stuff to my nephew but still feels weird to have a pile of currently useless skate product. will set up a freshie to motivate me to get back on board while re-habbing. might actually sell some other shit...

Opposite of me. If I’m injured or can’t make the time to skate, madness goes ham.
The more I skate, kinda doesn’t matter what I’m on

blue

• Rep: -22
« Reply #1154 on: April 19, 2023, 11:06:43 AM »
Im having crazy shoe madness right now and I need help. Im 30, and I've skated non skate slip ons most of my life. Ive been trying various skate shoes and hating them all. I like a lot of board feel but still want to feel protected and also have a somewhat pointy toe. any suggestions?

for reference: I skated the cons slip ons and hated them, the vans skate slips are really wonky and stretch out really bad, BUT, oddly enough I've been skating a pair of blazer high's that feel really good after I took the insole out.

any advice helps

IpathCats

« Reply #1155 on: April 19, 2023, 11:13:39 AM »
Im having crazy shoe madness right now and I need help. Im 30, and I've skated non skate slip ons most of my life. Ive been trying various skate shoes and hating them all. I like a lot of board feel but still want to feel protected and also have a somewhat pointy toe. any suggestions?

for reference: I skated the cons slip ons and hated them, the vans skate slips are really wonky and stretch out really bad, BUT, oddly enough I've been skating a pair of blazer high's that feel really good after I took the insole out.

any advice helps

Last resorts

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1156 on: April 19, 2023, 12:46:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Opposite of me. If I’m injured or can’t make the time to skate, madness goes ham.
The more I skate, kinda doesn’t matter what I’m on

Same for me. Most of my excess gear is from around when I broke my leg and then from later on when I was a bit too busy with life and didn’t skate enough.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #1157 on: April 19, 2023, 12:56:29 PM »
Im 30,

I've been skating a pair of blazer high's that feel really good after I took the insole out.

As a fellow 30s guy, these parts gave me a light chuckle and sense of bewilderment.

blue

• Rep: -22
« Reply #1158 on: April 19, 2023, 03:08:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Im 30,

I've been skating a pair of blazer high's that feel really good after I took the insole out.

[close]

As a fellow 30s guy, these parts gave me a light chuckle and sense of bewilderment.

Im sure I sound insane

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1159 on: April 20, 2023, 01:23:59 AM »
Excuse me in advance for this madness novel, but I know that some will help me a lot..  :'(

I upgraded to an 8.125 and Thunder 148s raws recently after skating 8.00 for long time, and Venture High 5.25 raws.  I wanted to try wider, board and medium/lower trucks, for more stability and less sketchy landing.

To tell the truth, I thought that the thunder 148 were an advantage for me, they are lower, neither too heavy nor too light. I like them a lot yes. However, I skate them on a Baker 8.125 with a Wheelbase of 14.25. I still sometimes have trouble mastering certain tricks and my 360 flips don't come as easily as before.. For the little that my legs are tired, the end of the session is very difficult and I didn't expect it's heavier than it looks

I'm really trying to find the solution for me, I'm in my early thirties, I've been skating for 15 years, and sometimes some tricks get difficult.. I'm a 8 foot size, and I'm 5.7, with small legs.

That's why I'm hesitating between two solutions that may be beneficial to me.. stay on 148 with an 8.125/8.25 with a 14 WB ! I tell myself that the wheelbase may be the miracle solution, no matter our build, I wonder if when we are small, a small board in length and in wheelbase is really better, and that it is not the width of the board that impacts the way of skating.

Or, as i skated 10 years ago, go back to an 8.00, WB 14 with Ventures lows.. but this still makes me buy trucks and a board at the same time.. my wallet may not agree haha But at that time, I was putting kickflips everywhere, and it's been 8 years since I've been able to do any more if it's only about ten a year.. my nightmare tricks that I lost in my legs .. but i was skating ventures lows too when i put them on, but, i can do switch flip with my actual setup..  so .. it makes me really hesitate and i wonder if lower trucks are better with age, and on the other hand i think to myself that it is only a question of millimeters with the thunder ..Small anecdote too, when I put kickflip, I was often in 7.75/7.8, somestimes 8.. So I think the wheelbase of the boards were very short (year 2009/2010) But again, I don't think the width changes anything..

Sorry again for this madness,  but i know I'm not the only one in this case (well.. with my kickflip, I think so  :D)

Thank you in advance friends skaters ! :-*
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 01:30:42 AM by FrenchSkater »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1160 on: April 20, 2023, 06:53:37 AM »
i personally find the width of the board doesnt matter nearly as much as the length for doing flip tricks. Doing a kickflip feels like I am doing the splits, and 360 flips feel harder to rotate to me.

I would definintely start with the shorter board and see if you can make the adjustment and finish out the trucks. Primitive makes 8.25" x 14" wb.  If possible try to see if you can thrash this setup before deciding if you really want to go back to 8" again or not. try to skate some other peoples setups before you buy more stuff too.

IpathCats

« Reply #1161 on: April 20, 2023, 07:09:17 AM »
Excuse me in advance for this madness novel, but I know that some will help me a lot..  :'(

I upgraded to an 8.125 and Thunder 148s raws recently after skating 8.00 for long time, and Venture High 5.25 raws.  I wanted to try wider, board and medium/lower trucks, for more stability and less sketchy landing.

To tell the truth, I thought that the thunder 148 were an advantage for me, they are lower, neither too heavy nor too light. I like them a lot yes. However, I skate them on a Baker 8.125 with a Wheelbase of 14.25. I still sometimes have trouble mastering certain tricks and my 360 flips don't come as easily as before.. For the little that my legs are tired, the end of the session is very difficult and I didn't expect it's heavier than it looks

I'm really trying to find the solution for me, I'm in my early thirties, I've been skating for 15 years, and sometimes some tricks get difficult.. I'm a 8 foot size, and I'm 5.7, with small legs.

That's why I'm hesitating between two solutions that may be beneficial to me.. stay on 148 with an 8.125/8.25 with a 14 WB ! I tell myself that the wheelbase may be the miracle solution, no matter our build, I wonder if when we are small, a small board in length and in wheelbase is really better, and that it is not the width of the board that impacts the way of skating.

Or, as i skated 10 years ago, go back to an 8.00, WB 14 with Ventures lows.. but this still makes me buy trucks and a board at the same time.. my wallet may not agree haha But at that time, I was putting kickflips everywhere, and it's been 8 years since I've been able to do any more if it's only about ten a year.. my nightmare tricks that I lost in my legs .. but i was skating ventures lows too when i put them on, but, i can do switch flip with my actual setup..  so .. it makes me really hesitate and i wonder if lower trucks are better with age, and on the other hand i think to myself that it is only a question of millimeters with the thunder ..Small anecdote too, when I put kickflip, I was often in 7.75/7.8, somestimes 8.. So I think the wheelbase of the boards were very short (year 2009/2010) But again, I don't think the width changes anything..

Sorry again for this madness,  but i know I'm not the only one in this case (well.. with my kickflip, I think so  :D)

Not trying to sound like an asshole here, but if you havent already, you might wanna consider tightening your thunders a little bit and seeing how they feel.

Thunders turn more/morequickly than ventures, you might be having trouble for that reason.

I cant tell you how many times i was starting to go down he madness hole and just needed to adjust my trucks.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1162 on: April 20, 2023, 09:44:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not trying to sound like an asshole here, but if you havent already, you might wanna consider tightening your thunders a little bit and seeing how they feel.

Thunders turn more/morequickly than ventures, you might be having trouble for that reason.

I cant tell you how many times i was starting to go down he madness hole and just needed to adjust my trucks.

I couldn’t agree more with this answer. “ I need more stability, ( tightens truck a quarter turn). There it is!“ There’s definitely an over tightened point but a micro adjustment as simple as this can go a long way.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1163 on: April 20, 2023, 01:05:16 PM »

It's true that I noticed that the thunders turn easily.. as long as you sit in flip, the board turns directly..Less stable than venture. So.. I will try this haha

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1164 on: April 20, 2023, 06:50:32 PM »
Every truck is less stable than Venture. There's no shame in riding your tricks as tight as you need to be to do your tricks, but hopefully you should still be able to turn as needed.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1165 on: April 20, 2023, 07:07:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I couldn’t agree more with this answer. “ I need more stability, ( tightens truck a quarter turn). There it is!“ There’s definitely an over tightened point but a micro adjustment as simple as this can go a long way.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1166 on: April 25, 2023, 09:22:35 PM »
Got a truefit.
Shop had the 8, Krooked. Great graphic.
Sadly, it’s a 2, so not my shit but had to try it.
Setup on 147 hollows, with a solid kingpin cast baseplate, and 52 mm conical full 101s, swiss (not the 6s unfortunately).
Mob. That I fucked up.

Board looks great. Brown top stain…just the whole thing looks lovely.
First thought was that the pop was just bad. For context, I took the trucks and wheels and such, off of a 2 year old quasi 8.125. Just to set up something different. I am a ps stix fanbuddy. I despise the view of a bbs board from the primo position. Just the way the concave waves up. Fuuuuuck that. Anyways, pop wack. Kickflips good. Ollies felt so weird, switch and nollie felt nice. Didn’t get a lot of time, it’s fun to try. I might do the EXTREMELY GROSS thing I do, and change the trucks (to 5.2 lo’s). Started to figure it out a little more, strangely needed to bring the popping foot way closer to the bolts, down into the pocket.

I’m so stoked dlx made these, I’ll look for a flat one.
I’d probably be better served with the 8.12x14x31.3 they rarely make.
Better yet would be a ps/prime/pgi/pnotbbs board.

Fun to try different stuff!

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #1167 on: April 26, 2023, 02:43:05 AM »
Isn’t Prod’s truck : 5.2 hollow low/forged…his 5.6 is high..

They used to be at least. I have 5.2 hollow lows but they're gold so I kinda hate them

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • Get bent
« Reply #1168 on: April 26, 2023, 04:59:04 AM »

any advice helps

One stars? Semi pointy, more protective than a slip, but if your not a cons iono
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 49
« Reply #1169 on: April 26, 2023, 11:22:29 AM »
Not sure if this is madness, but I have the urge to swap out a perfectly fine deck (after a month of use). I have this thing where I like to setup new decks to signify a change. Like new season, coming back from an injury, new approach to skateboarding, etc.

Am I being a superstitious kook? 🥹